3 charged with 2006 campaign violatio...

3 charged with 2006 campaign violations in Torrance

There are 34 comments on the Daily Breeze story from May 18, 2008, titled 3 charged with 2006 campaign violations in Torrance. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

For the first time in Torrance history, misdemeanor charges alleging campaign finance violations have been brought against three people involved in a city election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
OCJ

Honolulu, HI

#23 May 19, 2008
CCC wrote:
At the end of the article it is mentioned that Mr. Gould was previously (outside Torrance) charged with campaign violations. If he is at it again, he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- regardless of who is represented.
You're absolutely correct! Jail time is absolutely required here. The naysayers are all wrong. Send a message that this reprehensible disregard for the law will not be tolerated. Period.
Love it

Culver City, CA

#24 May 20, 2008
I love the fact that Walker and his supporters (AFSCME 1117, Mauno, Guyton, Moorman, Lee etc...) are all trying to drum up hate against the incumbent Mayor thinking that it will work 2 elections in a row.

Problem: the current Mayor isn't a villain...and trumping up crap on the Topix board will accomplish nothing. There is no movement to defeat Scotto or the rest of the Torrance-friendly Council, because there is no reason to be against them.

All these shadow campaigns on here are Jeannie Moorman, President of AFSCME Local 1117 (she's the one that post from Lakewood all the time about Torrance politics) and former scumbag Mayor Dan Walker (he's the one with the AOL under his random anonymous names).

If you dont believe it, contact Topix. They will give you the IP addresses for these people and they are so easily traced.
Love it

Redlands, CA

#25 May 20, 2008
quit pointing fingers --get to work VOTE
BBB

Glendale, CA

#26 May 21, 2008
Love it wrote:
quit pointing fingers --get to work VOTE
Absolutely vote (against dirty money candidates), but prosecute wrongdoers as well!
Jeannie Moorman

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#27 May 21, 2008
Various comments have been recently rumored to be attributed to me. Speculation and rumors being what they are, I felt it was necessary to clear the air so that the focus can be on the real issues in Torrance . Some of these “comments” have been attacks of various candidates running for Torrance City Council, including Mr. Barnett, Mr. Furey, Ms. Rhilinger and Mr. Weideman. I have great respect for Mr. Barnett. I worked under him while he was the department head in the community services department and we had a very good working relationship. I do not have any personal insight or knowledge of Ms. Rhilinger, Mr. Weideman or Mr. Furey and have only met them briefly on a few occasions. Our Local’s political action committee interviewed these three candidates after they sent a written request asking our union to endorse and support their campaigns. All three attended our Union ’s holiday party, along with several other candidates and City Council members. The AFSCME Local 1117 political action committee and Board decided not to issue any endorsement letters to any of the candidates after interviewing those who requested our support. The voters of Torrance have several very good candidates to choose from. We urge you to attend all candidate forums, meet individually with the candidates, visit their websites and read their literature so that together we can learn about each of the candidates, their key issues and their positions. We urge you to cast your vote for those who have the brightest, original ideas that will move the City of Torrance out of the old politics as usual and into a fresh, new positive direction with the ultimate goal of balance and harmony among all stakeholders.
Should you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact me.
Jeannie Moorman
President AFSCME Local 1117
Love it

Redlands, CA

#28 May 21, 2008
Hey Jeannie,

Pleae explain "out of the old politics as usual"

It's the old unions like the one that you represent that are ruining this state> Old liberal democrats running their mouths and bullying non-union business and citizens.

DOWN WITH UNIONS AND POLITICAL AGENDAS! Why are unions involved in politics anyway?
Jeannie Moorman

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#30 May 21, 2008
I have no idea why my post listed the city of Glendale as I was in Torrance on my laptop when I posted, just as I am now. We will see what city is listed this time after I hit "post".
Many internet service providers have rotating IP addresses for security reasons. It could be the server that provides my service is in Glendale. Just like someone else's IP address or server is in Lakewood. Or someone is purposely trying to make me look bad in the community by pretending to be me. Either way, those who know me will know the truth.
Unions are involved in politics for the same reasons that other special interests are involved. Homeowners have their special interests as do business owners. Gun owners have a special interest as do insurance companies. Unions interests are to protect and advocate for our members. I have been elected to a leadership position in my union for the last twenty or more years... sitting out only one year that I needed a rest. I have been President since March 2005 and yet some treat me as though all of the mistakes made are somehow my fault.
Members vote for their leaders. If the members felt I was not doing a good job, they would not vote for me.
As far as "loving" or "hating" any politician, I just don't feel that way. Politicians have their job to do and if the voters like the job being done, they get the votes, if not, they won't get the votes. I don't take politics personally. I have a family that I love just as I am sure many of you do. I don't get mixed up in personal love/hate relationships with people that I hardly know. I respect anyone who throws their hat in the public arena. It is a very difficult job and there are a lot of armchair politicians second guessing every move you make.
The voters in Torrance will make up their minds on election day on who is best to represent their interests on the city council. We hope that decision is a truly informed decision and voters don't rely on gossip or anonymous bloggers for their information. If someone can't put their name on a post, you can be sure that the information is not credible enough for them to stand up for. It is time for a change for the better. Vote an informed vote for those who can bring the most positive energy to the city. I, along with many others, am tired of the negativity of old school politics.
Wow

Culver City, CA

#31 May 22, 2008
Wow. Jeannie, you must have gotten some help or turned into somebody else. Because every time you have EVER spoken at Council, you seem to take it way too personally.

Lets not forget all the slamming you've done to candidates on this blog, and all the fights you fought on behalf of Walker...so much so that you and your local finally decided to stay out of an election and avoid the fines for your illegal activities in the past.

Now that's what I call leadership.
pds

Vancouver, WA

#32 Jun 20, 2008
done anyone know about allen lee,did he have any part in this,any info....
Jeannie the liar

Culver City, CA

#33 Aug 25, 2008
Wow. I cant believe it took me so long to read this garbage. What a load of crap. I've heard her rail against most of the candidates whom she says she has little knowledge of. In fact, she did so publicly on a few occasions.

She's right, her local didn't endorse anybody. They just recommended them to the LA County Federation of Labor. Funny thing is that only one of their candidates won and in 4th place. That's what happens when labor unions pick a Republican with no experience to run on (GW) and a liberal union employee posing as a Republican (TG).

Next time why dont you pick somebody with some experience and who actually cares about our City.
Viet Ngo

Los Angeles, CA

#34 Dec 14, 2010
Another Gould Loser wrote:
David Gould is also listed as the campaign treasurer of failed 2007 Manhattan Beach City Council candidate David Lesser (still listed on Lesser's website at www.DavidLesser.com ). When will they learn, big money doesn't *buy* local elections!
Vote for Viet Ngo!
Viet Ngo

Torrance, CA

#35 Aug 26, 2011
Will everyone stop calling me motor midget. Even my shrink, PhD Ed, doesn't like it.
Manhattan Beach

Los Angeles, CA

#36 Dec 30, 2012
Viet Ngo wrote:
Will everyone stop calling me motor midget. Even my shrink, PhD Ed, doesn't like it.
Viet Ngo, you are a mentally deranged idiot who wastes everyone's time with your stupid immature rants. Time to stop already!
Truth

Redondo Beach, CA

#37 Mar 20, 2013
Viet Ngo is mentally disturbed and should be committed to a mental institution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 18 hr Well Well 21,050
News E&B ad stirs more oil controversy (Apr '14) 21 hr Fahey Montgomery 3
News One of the South Bay's Best Sandwich Options Ce... Thu mrshade0420 1
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Thu Human 239
Review: Inglewood Lanes Bowling Center Wed INGLEWOOD LANES WORK 75
News Recycled wastewater to give Los Angeles County ... (Nov '15) Aug 14 Solarman 13
Review: Cascade Windows (Jul '10) Aug 7 edgemark 53

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages