Chef Michael Shafer a larger-than-lif...

Chef Michael Shafer a larger-than-life figure

There are 32 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Oct 16, 2009, titled Chef Michael Shafer a larger-than-life figure. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Chef Michael Shafer is Torrance's celebrity chef. He owns The Depot and the Buffalo Fire Department restaurant in Torrance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Been there

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2009
Good Story DB, Chef really is a good guy.

Food is great and his determination to see old Torrance work is unmatched.
Jake

Camarillo, CA

#2 Oct 17, 2009
Thorough article - quite unusual for the BREEZE.
Nick Green a new reporter that actually had a journalism course or two?
- maybe he could help out the other "reporters".
Chris Cognac

Redlands, CA

#3 Oct 17, 2009
Chef Shafer is the man....I love his creative take on food and he has a big heart and is involved in the community....The Depot is a destination restaurant and a reason for those out of town to come to Torrance...and the wings at the new place....might I say tasty!
MQue

Pasadena, CA

#4 Oct 17, 2009
Nick Green is an excellent reporter, as are most reporters at the Breeze. I guess some in the South Bay have no idea how good they have it -- just check the quality of other local papers in Southern California ... anywhere.

Great work again, Mr. Green.
Hey itsa my birthday too

United States

#6 Oct 17, 2009
Jones C wrote:
I went to The Depot on my birthday, told Michael Shafer it was my birthday... His response was -- "I'll spit in your food personally." I've been going to restaurants for 25 years -- have never seen a chef act the way he does. Shafer is a classless arrogant un-bathed loser... and the food he prepares at The Depot way below average.
Lighten up. The humour on T.V. is much worse. Admittedly he is kinda of brash sometimes but his heart is in the right place. Perhaps if you came back with a witty one yourself instead of crying "poor me" on your birhtday you would've seen how funny he really is. Prunes like you need to stay home on your birhtday if you can't have any fun with it.
david

United States

#7 Oct 17, 2009
Jones C wrote:
I went to The Depot on my birthday, told Michael Shafer it was my birthday... His response was -- "I'll spit in your food personally." I've been going to restaurants for 25 years -- have never seen a chef act the way he does. Shafer is a classless arrogant un-bathed loser... and the food he prepares at The Depot way below average.
wow I find that hard to believe, every encounter I have had w/
Michael , from his summerfest fundraiser to sunday by the sea Hospice fundraiser has been great too bad just one guy a bad encounter. Chef shaffer is a class act
david

United States

#8 Oct 17, 2009
Great acticle Mr. Green. It is great to see the old torrance area coming around.thanks to caring people like michael and visionaries like Bob and Laurie brandt opening an outstanding brew pub RED CAR in the area, hopefully the Block party helped put it even more on the map.oh and Chef shaffer BEST freaking buffalo wing ever!!long live BFD
CurlyNmoe

Redondo Beach, CA

#9 Oct 17, 2009
Slow news day that the DB has to run on and on about a chef?

I've been to the Depot 3x and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'd rather eat at Malibu Fish Grill, Captain Kidds or Macaroni Grill! Now that I think about it I could eat at all three for the price of one meal at The Depot.

Save your money folks it's not that good and the prices are indefensible.
J Wellington Wimpy

North Hollywood, CA

#11 Oct 17, 2009
I ate at Fronks yesterday for the first time and their burgers are as good as they get. You can find their menu at eatatfronks.com .
SB Girl

Glendale, CA

#12 Oct 17, 2009
Chef Schafer is an asset to the South Bay, very few classy places and if you can't afford to eat there run across the street. How many Chef's give so much time to thier community such as him? Great Job Chef Schafer and Thank you!
Expert

Irvine, CA

#14 Oct 17, 2009
The food is at best mediocre. Dont waste your money. The Chef need to spend time at the fat farm.
Call Me Crazy

North Hollywood, CA

#15 Oct 17, 2009
But why would you hire someone to guard a restaurant in Torrance 24/7? And The Depot wasn't even open 24 hours.

"For the first year Shafer stationed an armed guard outside the restaurant around the clock to ensure someone was always keeping an eye on the place."
mmmmz

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#16 Oct 17, 2009
He is a wonderful person.

Since: Sep 08

Houston, TX

#17 Oct 17, 2009
Jones C wrote:
Wow, he must have been having a bad day! Chef Michael Shafer was so very kind and generous when he helped put on a benefit for my son. He was the opposite of everything you've said here in my experience with him. I'm very surprised to hear that that happened to you. Perhaps, someday, you might give him and his restaurant a second chance?
Jeffery

Hilo, HI

#18 Oct 17, 2009
He has not helped the city of Torrance in any way. Kudo's to those above who say his meals are overpriced, I say they are not worth it and not enjoyable vists/visits because I gave it another chance. Yuck!
Torrance Mom

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Oct 17, 2009
The only thing larger-than-life about this mediocre cook is his ego.
I spent almost $150.00 for one of his "cooking classes" - which consisted of 1-1/2 hours of listening to him talk and tasting small bites of unimaginative dishes.
A Celebrity? It must be a slow day for new for the Breeze…
Karson

Redondo Beach, CA

#20 Oct 17, 2009
Ok ok ok, let's agree he is a nice guy who does things for charity....that does not change the fact his restaurant is way overpriced selling largely mediocore food.

Let's see how long he will last w/o the expense account packing lawyers, Toyota employees, etc. wining and dining clients.

I would rather eat a Dodger Dog quite "frankly"!
Jerry

Hilo, HI

#21 Oct 17, 2009
Yep, he came to our table, seemed to be drunk and said if we don't like our food he will spat in it! No more going back there for me nor my friends,
Greg from Redondo

#22 Oct 18, 2009
You can put powdered sugar on a cow patty and it's still a cow patty. Sprinkle superlatives on Chef Shafer and he's still an egomanic jerk. I think he could be dangerous.
Tom

#24 Oct 18, 2009
Michael Shafer would not walk around the corner unless he has figured out a way to make a dime off of it. He uses charities to broaden his network.
This man give new meaning to oft used phase 'rude'.
He has no social skills and will someday be the focus of another kind of article in the Daily Breeze.
Save this junk for the food section.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Montebello pondering these ways to shrink its b... 1 hr Wonder Why 9
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Tyrone Abdul Carp 21,440
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) Tue Playboy OBL 1,096
Review: Taco Bell (Mar '17) Feb 16 TACO BELL INGLEWO... 8
Review: Inglewood Lanes Bowling Center (Jul '17) Feb 16 INGLEWOOD LANES W... 100
Review: Inglewood Lanes (Jan '17) Feb 16 INGLEWOOD LANES B... 80
Inglewood Lanes is new located at 4030 W. Centu... (Feb '16) Feb 15 LONG LIVE BOWLING 560

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages