'God Hates Fags' sect could lose their church

Apr 8, 2008 | Posted by: Ziggy on High | Full story: www.pinknews.co.uk

A federal judge has ordered that the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) building and the Phelps-Chartered Law office be taken away from the owners in order to pay a $5 million (2.54m) fine.

The church, based in Topeka, Kansas, runs numerous websites such as GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com and others expressing condemnation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, Roman Catholics, Muslims and Jews.

The religious organisation was ordered to pay the damages after members of its congregation picketed the funeral of two American servicemen.

Comments
21 - 40 of 484 Comments Last updated May 11, 2014

“okole puka he'e nalu”

Since: Jul 08

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2008

Judged:

BORNGAY wrote:
TO BEGIN WITH,, THIS IS NOT A "CHURCH"... ITS AN INSANE ASSYLUM OF BIBLICAL BUBBLEHEADED FUCKTARDS.
I'm sorry, but the difference between them and many of the other christian sects in the US is only a matter of degree, publicity and method.

I'd guess that there are many more mainstream christians (and many not so mainstream) who are outwardly chastising these people, but secretly cheering them on, if not for the methods, for the desired end result.

Gay people (and atheists) are simply the latest group to feel the focus of religious hatred in the US. Prior to these it was blacks and women.

Christianity isn't about love, it never was. That was just the demo. It's always been about power.

“Yes, you can die of stupidity.”

Since: Nov 07

Huntington Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2008

haole mahu kane wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but the difference between them and many of the other christian sects in the US is only a matter of degree, publicity and method.
I'd guess that there are many more mainstream christians (and many not so mainstream) who are outwardly chastising these people, but secretly cheering them on, if not for the methods, for the desired end result.
Gay people (and atheists) are simply the latest group to feel the focus of religious hatred in the US. Prior to these it was blacks and women.
Christianity isn't about love, it never was. That was just the demo. It's always been about power.
They protest at funerals of dead soldiers...I'm not Christian, but I don't believe that your "mainstream Christians" would agree with them. There is nothing that this group has to offer Christianity OR Humanity for that matter.

And as a reply to your post...are you suggesting that ends justify the means in the case of WBC?

Since: Jan 08

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Judged:

Missouri Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I think its funny that after the democrats took over both houses, everything has went to pot!! hmmmm I will never vote for a democrat again!
Isn't if funny that Bush never vetoed a bill before the democrats won both houses? You can hardly blame the results of 6 years of unbridled republican rule on the democrats. I, on the other hand, have never voted for a republican, not do I intend to. They have ruined more in the U.S. in the past 7 1/2 years than I could have thought possible!
I also realize that this has nothing to do with this particluar column.

“okole puka he'e nalu”

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

LI Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
They protest at funerals of dead soldiers...I'm not Christian, but I don't believe that your "mainstream Christians" would agree with them. There is nothing that this group has to offer Christianity OR Humanity for that matter.
And as a reply to your post...are you suggesting that ends justify the means in the case of WBC?
Interesting, I followed up to this post last Sat. I can see it, it's post #37. I looked at this page through someone else's account and they can't see #37. Why?? If it's being blocked for some reason, you'd think they'd let the poster know, and not show it to the poster (me) making it look like it's visible to everyone. Wow, this is stupid.

Maybe it was blocked because I indluded 1/2 dozen links? I'll repost and alter the links and see if that fixes things.

“okole puka he'e nalu”

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

LI Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
[Trying this again. I have no idea why post #37 above isn't showing to other people. I see it...]

Actually, it's only been since sometime after the beginning of the 'war' that they've been protesting at the funerals of soldiers. They got their start protesting at the funerals of gay people, esp. those who have died from complications due to HIV. They started doing this around 1991. I lived in San Francisco from 1993 until recently, and they were frequent protesters there.

Their first website, godhatesfags. com , was registered on 01-22-1997.

They have others:
godhatestheworld. com registered on 01-18-2005
americaisdoomed. com registered on 07-31-2005
priestsrapeboys. com registered on ??
thesignsofthetimes. net registered on 02-11-2006
blogs.sparenot. com registered on 11-28-2007
hatemongers. com registered on 07-25-2002

Most people never heard of them until they protested at the funeral of Matthew Sheppard, a 21 year old gay man who was killed (stoned to death while tied to a fencepost) in Oct 1998, in Casper Wyoming.

After the initial outrage, they were again forgotten by most of the mainstream press until they started protesting at the funerals of soldiers.

My comment about the matter of degree difference between them and other christians was meant to convey the belief that many people calling themselves christians would love for all gay people to be gone. They'd love it if there was no such thing, or if it was criminalized, or at least hidden from public view. Many of them do work to pass laws (ie DOMA), or to remove from anti-discrimination laws, those clauses which name sexual preference as a protected class.

(I should note that we're not allowed to discriminate against someone due to their religion, which *is* a choice and *is* a behavior which not all of us would agree is beneficial in any way to society).

WBC is angry and in-your-face. Those working on legislation aren't in your face, but are tryingt o achieve the same thing. That's what I meant by 'matter of degree, publicity and method'.

Does that answer your question about 'the ends justify the means'? I'm certainly not condoning the behavior from them or the christians working behind the scenes to remove peoples rights.

If you meant something else, please specify.

Huntington Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

haole mahu kane wrote:
<quoted text>
[Trying this again. I have no idea why post #37 above isn't showing to other people. I see it...]
Actually, it's only been since sometime after the beginning of the 'war' that they've been protesting at the funerals of soldiers. They got their start protesting at the funerals of gay people, esp. those who have died from complications due to HIV. They started doing this around 1991. I lived in San Francisco from 1993 until recently, and they were frequent protesters there.
Their first website, godhatesfags. com , was registered on 01-22-1997.
They have others:
godhatestheworld. com registered on 01-18-2005
americaisdoomed. com registered on 07-31-2005
priestsrapeboys. com registered on ??
thesignsofthetimes. net registered on 02-11-2006
blogs.sparenot. com registered on 11-28-2007
hatemongers. com registered on 07-25-2002
Most people never heard of them until they protested at the funeral of Matthew Sheppard, a 21 year old gay man who was killed (stoned to death while tied to a fencepost) in Oct 1998, in Casper Wyoming.
After the initial outrage, they were again forgotten by most of the mainstream press until they started protesting at the funerals of soldiers.
My comment about the matter of degree difference between them and other christians was meant to convey the belief that many people calling themselves christians would love for all gay people to be gone. They'd love it if there was no such thing, or if it was criminalized, or at least hidden from public view. Many of them do work to pass laws (ie DOMA), or to remove from anti-discrimination laws, those clauses which name sexual preference as a protected class.
(I should note that we're not allowed to discriminate against someone due to their religion, which *is* a choice and *is* a behavior which not all of us would agree is beneficial in any way to society).
WBC is angry and in-your-face. Those working on legislation aren't in your face, but are tryingt o achieve the same thing. That's what I meant by 'matter of degree, publicity and method'.
Does that answer your question about 'the ends justify the means'? I'm certainly not condoning the behavior from them or the christians working behind the scenes to remove peoples rights.
If you meant something else, please specify.
It sounded like you were saying that mainstream Christians look the other way because deep down inside they want the same thing. So I simply asked, if the ends justified the means.
r_M-O_g

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

Too bad. Sounds like a good church to me.
SteveMD2

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

Put the whole family in jail. Make sure they have the right cellmates. And put a video camera in their cells. And internet broadcast them getting what they deserve from their cellmates, until the truth about these homophobes comes out, in their screaming harder, harder, faster, faster.

Or give them to the Arabs, with a boxful of their bibles that they attempted to smuggle into saudi Arabia. And remind the saudis that it was those same American soldiers who saved their nation from being run over by Saddam in the first gulf war. Those people over there will have Allah judge Phelps and co.(the judge decides what God wants). And with little if any recourse, sentences are often carried out very quickly after conviction, as the executioner shouts "Allahu Ahkbar" (God is Great), and swings the sword. For the Phelps, living in the 2nd century, a second century punishment would be just fine wouldn't it. To hell with them, and make sure their end doesn't make them martyrs.

“okole puka he'e nalu”

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

LI Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounded like you were saying that mainstream Christians look the other way because deep down inside they want the same thing.
Basically, yes, I am saying that I believe that many christians deep down, or not so deep down, want the same thingas Phelps and his clan. Some of them actively work for it in other ways, others I think are cheering on people like Phelps.

You mentioned only their protests against soldiers, and no, I don't think most christians are in agreement with that.
LI Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
So I simply asked, if the ends justified the means.
I don't understand. Do you think I agree with Phelps or the christians who are in agreement with him?

You do understand that I'm not in any way a christian or believer in any other mysticism or mythology don't you?

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Sound to me,They're all schizophrenics.

Huntington Station

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

haole mahu kane wrote:
Basically, yes, I am saying that I believe that many christians deep down, or not so deep down, want the same thingas Phelps and his clan. Some of them actively work for it in other ways, others I think are cheering on people like Phelps.
I am disinclined to believe that they follow the basic tenets of Christianity, and like others who break the rules...are equally shunned.
haole mahu kane wrote:
You mentioned only their protests against soldiers, and no, I don't think most christians are in agreement with that.
They were going to build a monument in Casper, Wyoming that said, "Matthew Sheppard, burning in hell since _______." I was attending the University of Wyoming at the time when that was going on. Do Christians agree with that?
haole mahu kane wrote:
I don't understand. Do you think I agree with Phelps or the christians who are in agreement with him?
You do understand that I'm not in any way a christian or believer in any other mysticism or mythology don't you?
I'll rephrase, do the ends justify the means to Christians? Do the tenets of religion cease to exist when the end result is considered "God's will?" Or does the "word of God," exist at all times? I'm sure that mainstream Christians would be able to see that there's really only one answer to this question; and therefore, only one way to view WBC.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

Judged:

What they have is not a church anyway, it is a house of hate, which has nothing to do with God. It will fall.

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

r_M-O_g wrote:
Too bad. Sounds like a good church to me.
Yeah! They're your kind of people. Hate, hate, hate!!
Don

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

Judged:

I am from Canada, Those nut jobs cancelled their protest. Apparently they didn't like the fact that our members of parliament talked like back street thugs. LOL All the said was "that these lunatics should not protest for their own safety " Their form of so call Freedom of Speech is not welcome in this country, and yes they would have got the living crap beat right out of them, we would have beat them with their own signs, and there would be nobody here to rescue them. The citizens of Topeka must be very tolerant to have these nut jobs living in their community. The Phelps should be charged with hate crimes. I hope your courts uphold the millions the Phelps have to pay the fallen soldiers family. AND MAKE THEM PAY ASAP, take everything, put them in the poor house.

“okole puka he'e nalu”

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

Judged:

LI Watch wrote:
I am disinclined to believe that they follow the basic tenets of Christianity, and like others who break the rules...are equally shunned.
First, define the 'basic tenets of christianity'. If you can find something on which multiple sects of christianity agree, I'll bet you that the Phelps clan agrees with it too. Christians can't agree on what being a christian is. One sect tells another sect they're going to hell for believing A, but a third sect tells the first they're going to hell for not believing B as strongly as they do. If they can't define it, I'm not going to try to narrow the scope of who I'm calling a christian. If they say they're christian, I'm going to take them at their word.

Second, I'm not talking about people who 'break the rules'. I'm talking about people who through legislation, sermons, personal behavior or even just voting, are actively working to remove rights from gay people. I'm talking about people who are anti-gay. Whether they believe what they do because they believe their religion tells them to, or their religion is simply the excuse they use for their own hate, I don't care. Yes, I think they agree with what Phelps is trying to do, even if they wouldn't outwardly agree with the methods.

Why is it do you suppose, that few christian groups spoke out against Phelps when they were 'just' protesting at gay funerals?
LI Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
They were going to build a monument in Casper, Wyoming that said, "Matthew Sheppard, burning in hell since _______." I was attending the University of Wyoming at the time when that was going on. Do Christians agree with that?
I'd forgotten about that.
Of course not *all* christians agree with that, but yes, many would. Don't come back with the standard argument of 'well, they weren't really christians then'. You can't define any better than they, who is and who isn't a christian.
LI Watch wrote:
I'll rephrase, do the ends justify the means to Christians?
Thank you for rephrasing. Yes, again, not for *all* christians, but for many I would say that they believe the end justifies the means. Lots of them out and out 'lie for christ' and believe it's fine. But again, that's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying that many of them want the same 'end' even if they don't agree with the 'means'. They may not like Phelps''means'. They may not ever join in Phelps''means', but they'd love the same 'end'.
LI Watch wrote:
Do the tenets of religion cease to exist when the end result is considered "God's will?" Or does the "word of God," exist at all times? I'm sure that mainstream Christians would be able to see that there's really only one answer to this question; and therefore, only one way to view WBC.
What are the tenets of religion? Which religion? Which version of that religion? How can I tell if they cease to exist or not if they can't be defined?
How you interpret the 'word of god' is very different than how I do, and how the next guy does. Even within the same sect, people don't agree on a meaning for what's written in the bible or other religious texts. Even people who insist that the bible is 100% literal can't agree on it. The people who are espousing hatred can justify their hatred using the bible as strongly as people who are against it. They've been doing it for centuries, so yes, I still say that the difference between Phelps and many of the other christian sects in the US is only a matter of degree, publicity and method.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

I wish nothing on no one. But just like my avatar reads.......all things will take care of themselves.
Reverend Common Sense

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Pumuckle wrote:
I'm not a christian, but those crazies should be taken out and shot, in the same style of stoning, because i would say that shooting is the new stoning. stoning was punishment for sinning. does the philospohy, "thou shalt not judge", which they should live by as christians, not mean anything to them? someone should watch for obituaries of memebers of westboro baptist church and picket at the funeral. say they were punished for their hate for their neighbors and their passing of judgement on others. a taste of their own medicine may work or at least let them feel humiliated.
I am honestly surprised it hasn't already happened

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Pro 18:5 It is not good to accept the person of the wicked, to overthrow the righteous in judgment.

Pro 24:15 Lay not wait, O wicked man, against the dwelling of the righteous; spoil not his resting place: For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

Ya just gotta laugh at the doomed. All those militant butch sodomites, all trying to destroy the WORD of GOD. They cannot bear to hear it, it sears their conscience. Then they come mincing and waffling, outta the dark, outta their pooh stained sheets. Their only relief from suffering (they think), is to destroy the messengers of my Master. Perhaps then my Masters WORD will wither and disolve away, they think.

Yeah, the butch militant sodomites should love the WBC, they should seek their good. Because, should the WORD of my Master seem to perish from the earth, it shall be replaced with ARROWS. Then all the doomed sodomites will really get shafted.
Reverend Common Sense

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Phineas, your cute; like the little handicapped boy who soils himself and sits in his filth because he doesn't know better. You just need some one to change you, don't you, you sweet little buttercup.

“Bullish on Equal Rights”

Since: Dec 06

Rocky Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Phineas wrote:
Pro 18:5 It is not good to accept the person of the wicked, to overthrow the righteous in judgment.
Pro 24:15 Lay not wait, O wicked man, against the dwelling of the righteous; spoil not his resting place: For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
Ya just gotta laugh at the doomed. All those militant butch sodomites, all trying to destroy the WORD of GOD. They cannot bear to hear it, it sears their conscience. Then they come mincing and waffling, outta the dark, outta their pooh stained sheets. Their only relief from suffering (they think), is to destroy the messengers of my Master. Perhaps then my Masters WORD will wither and disolve away, they think.
Yeah, the butch militant sodomites should love the WBC, they should seek their good. Because, should the WORD of my Master seem to perish from the earth, it shall be replaced with ARROWS. Then all the doomed sodomites will really get shafted.
How can someone currently living be a "Sodomite". The term refers to a person from Sodom and that city no longer exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Topeka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Topeka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••