Former Marine accused of murder changes his story

Walter Smith, the 24-year-old former Marine accused of murdering the mother of his twin sons in their Tooele home, has told conflicting accounts of what happened on the night of Nicole Speirs' death. Full Story
Natalie Pratt

Junction City, KS

#1 Dec 18, 2006
Natalie Pratt

I know Walter.
I Really can’t believe that this happened.
I hung out with him almost everyday for a whole summer!
I know alot of his Marine friends and actually dated and lived with the same friend Wally did before he moved to tooele.
He all had BBQs together, drank together, hunting and camping together!
He doesn’t seem like he would ever do something like this.
I never met Nicole but her little Boy and little girl are abosolutely beautiful!
I just feel terrible about the whole thing!
I also think they should do more for the Men that come home from fighting in a war……I know that they are pretty much on their own after they are done fighting. They have been to hell and back for everyone here in America. It seems like no one cares and no one understands. I dont know if anyone will understand how they feel and what they went through. I know that the men who have fought and men like Wally struggle on a day to day basis. I can remember a number of times when I knew they were having flash backs and memories. Certain sounds, certain smells, certain people will take them back to that very dreaded day on April 8th. They had the courage to fight for their country and I have seen first hand what it has done to their families and their lives.
my e mail is nataliejill2005@hotmail.com
feel free to ask me anything you would like to!
Thanks for your time
Natalie Pratt
Unknown

Layton, UT

#2 Dec 27, 2006
Natalie Pratt wrote:
Natalie Pratt
I know Walter.
I Really can’t believe that this happened.
I hung out with him almost everyday for a whole summer!
I know alot of his Marine friends and actually dated and lived with the same friend Wally did before he moved to tooele.
He all had BBQs together, drank together, hunting and camping together!
He doesn’t seem like he would ever do something like this.
I never met Nicole but her little Boy and little girl are abosolutely beautiful!
I just feel terrible about the whole thing!
I also think they should do more for the Men that come home from fighting in a war……I know that they are pretty much on their own after they are done fighting. They have been to hell and back for everyone here in America. It seems like no one cares and no one understands. I dont know if anyone will understand how they feel and what they went through. I know that the men who have fought and men like Wally struggle on a day to day basis. I can remember a number of times when I knew they were having flash backs and memories. Certain sounds, certain smells, certain people will take them back to that very dreaded day on April 8th. They had the courage to fight for their country and I have seen first hand what it has done to their families and their lives.
my e mail is nataliejill2005@hotmail.com
feel free to ask me anything you would like to!
Thanks for your time
Natalie Pratt
Well he did confess
Julia

Layton, UT

#3 Feb 21, 2007
It is people like Walter that give the Marines a bad name.
Unknown Tooele Ut

Layton, UT

#4 Feb 22, 2007
I knew Nicky and she was a very down to earth person. She loved her babies with all her heart and soul. It's really hard to think that she;s really gone,and that the twins will only get to know her by what they hear and not from her herself.Let's face it he admitted he killed her , NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT!!!! NOTHING AT ALL.... Walter is only responsible for he's actions and by him claiming that being in war and not getting help with he's illness is the biggest cop out there is. All he had to do was walk away. There's no turning back now, time to be a man and take what's coming .
Josh

Arlington, TX

#5 May 10, 2007
Julia wrote:
I couldn't have said it better myself. He is an embarrassment to the armed services and I am sick that he is blaming a monsterous act on the military!
Brent

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 May 17, 2007
Julia wrote:
Since When do Marines have a bad name.....
Anonymous

San Antonio, TX

#7 Aug 6, 2007
He is a guilty, evil, excuse for a man and I hope he burns in hell for what he has done. He needs to quit making excuses and own up to what he has done. There was bruising on her shoulders and torso, water in her lungs and he did confess, what more do you need? Thanks to the idiots in the Utah legal system he will probably get only 10 years or so when he should be drowned himself. I hope he and his family and every other naive friend of his gets what they deserve.
RIP Nicole Marie Speirs, I Love You.
Jessica

San Antonio, TX

#8 Aug 7, 2007
Nicole Speirs was a wonderful woman that had so much to offer this world. But thanks to Walter Smith, that is no longer an option. He took the life of an innocent, beautiful, young mother and now her twins will never get to know her for who she really was. Not only did he take her from her children, but from her parents, sister, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and friends. I am Nicole’s cousin and I never have to chance to hug my cousin and tell her I love her ever again, because he took her away from us. What he has done has left a huge void in our family, and that can never be filled. Not poor Walter because he went to Iraq, poor Nicole who never had a chance to live life and be a mother to her twins. I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his life and thinks about what he has done every day.
concerned

Twin Falls, ID

#9 Aug 11, 2007
dear anonymous,
i'm so sorry you hurt. i can't imagine losing a loved one to murder. but, why do smith's family and friends have to suffer for what he's done and get as you say it "what they deserve". if nicole was the great person she's been made out to be wouldn't she want the hurt all around to stop. why be angry at the people who love him and have a hope for him. it may be naive but it's hope. think if the situation were reversed wouldn't you hope the same thing? don't take your anger out on his family and friends they didn't do anything.
Anonymous

United States

#10 Aug 22, 2007
Dear "Concerned"
I am close to the situation and know how his family has behaved and for their actions in this matter they should be punished as well. When Walter wanted to go to the police and confess he went to his uncle who actually supported this decision but once his father found out he had a different opinion, his father wanted him to keep quiet and still to this day is trying to weasel out of what he deserves. I don't care about his family and what they are going through, at the viewing and funeral they were not sorrowed in the least bit and actually acted like it was a burden for them to even attend. They have no respect for Nicole or the situation and therefore I have no respect or compassion for them. I believe in karma and Walter some of those close to him have ruined theirs and I know one day things will balance out.
Anonymous

United States

#11 Aug 22, 2007
"ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free."
http://www.uspharmd.com/usmc/marine_code_of_c...

Above is Article VI of the US Marine Corps Code of Conduct. Walter Smith needs to once and for all take responsibility for his actions. He was found competent to stand trial and knew exactly what he was doing on the night of March 24, 2006. We all know without a doubt in our minds that Walter Smith killed Nicole Speirs and post-traumatic stress disorder is just a bullshit excuse.
johnny

Salt Lake City, UT

#12 Aug 29, 2007
Hi my name is johnny trujillo i served in fox for 8yrs (smiths ompany). I served with smith he is a good man and my heart goes out to the Speirs family to him and his family. I did not go over with my brothers i was left behind due to training injuries. i was stationed in mississippi when this tragedy occurred, so i am just finding out about it now.
my brothers have told me stories about what happened and i can see the changes in them.
those people that think smith is using his military past for an excuse are sadly mistaken, its not like the monster in your closet and one day goes away, it is a scare a pain if not still an open wound that he will bleed from for the rest of his life. it will never go away and it will never heal he just has to learn to live with it.
his company was considered the tip of the spear, the enemy was not weak or tired from war they were fresh, eager, and waiting. it is a BAD situation. again im not saying what he did was okay but try to understand something most cant imagine. imagine the smell, the taste, the heat, the sound and finally the sight of war, seeing your brothers fall wondering if they will rise again or if you will be telling there mother crying you couldn’t save her son. imagine all that and then tell me his military past is a cop out.
if you could pore freedom out it would flood any container the cost is that high. we live in a time when peoples patriotism is backed by feeble words and individuals that would rather run, and when they ran by smith he turn and walked the other way, he did not know what would become of him he just knew it was his duty. they took him and changed him to protect our freedom and when he came home his family would not know him, he would be different... that is the cost of freedom we don’t mean for our loved ones to be affected buy our burden… it just happens sometime, and were sorry.
Anonymous

Castroville, TX

#13 Jan 11, 2008
Dear Johnny,
Have any other men from your company killed their wives, girlfriends or children. I am guessing the answer to that is no. I am not saying that those who serve in Iraq are not effected by what they do and see, or that it will not haunt them forever. I fully believe that war changes a person, and it changes each who serves on a different level in a different way. My heart goes out to the people who had to serve in this war or any other war. However, if Walter Smith knew he was that unstable he should have never brought others into his life who could be in harm's way. If he was having so much PTSD that he could hold the woman he supposedly loved under the water in the tub in the house that they shared until she took her last breath and had water rush into her lungs, and he could look her in the eyes while doing this than he should have committed himself. There was always a choice and he choose to MURDER another human being in cold blood.
Anonymous

San Antonio, TX

#14 Mar 11, 2008
Excellent article in the New York Times, please read if you have not done so already.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/us/20vets.h...
Thomas Arnold

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Apr 20, 2008
I heard about this traqgic event but did not relize that it was the Walter I knew. I along with Jonny served Ith Smith. I am proud to see that he has taken his place, though it was late, and confessed. I spent a long time with Walter in California before we went to Iraq. I was blessed to see a young man full of life and ambition. I am sad to learn of what happened. I guess the point that I want to make is that Walter, though his actions were horiable, is now paying his debt. He will never be able to fully repay his debt. Just think of what he owes to his children. I my self now have three children, two girls and one boy. I love them verry much and am greatful for the chance to have their mother here with them. As a father I am sure that Walter will never forget the mother of his twins. Looking into their eyes will do more damage to him then war would ever do, and seing their mother in their faces will burn his soul forever. Now lets get off the fact that some have a hard time with PTSD, it is real and it is here. If you don't believe in it then you go to that night at the five point intersection that was talked about in the article sighted. I was there and I provided security for the rear of it. That my frieds was the worst day of my nine years with my beloved Band of Brothers of Fox Co. 2nd Batalion 23 Marines 4th Marine Division. I have told my family and friends this, "I'f I was asked to go to war again, I would only go with my Sinners and Saints of Fox." For all that it is worth I still include Walter in that for I have bleed for him and him for me.
Thank you Walter for your honor and courage to tell the truth, and good luck.
Walter,
SEMPER FI your friend,
Tons of Fun
souris

Auburn University, AL

#16 Jul 16, 2008
since they keep killing their wives, perhaps?!?
help please

Lindon, UT

#17 Nov 7, 2008
Dear Anonymous,
I have a problem. I know someone who met Walter after he killed Nichole, but before he confessed. She knows he killed Nicole, but has chosen to stand by his side while he is in prison. I am worried for her when he gets out. I can only imagine how hard this is for your family and I am truly sorry to have to ask you to remember such sad memories, but I worry for my friend, and I do not want to have to morn for her too. If you know anything that I could relay to her to show she could be in danger, I would appreciate it. She only knows his side of things.
Anonymous

Port Townsend, WA

#18 Jan 30, 2009
Good luck. She is just stupid if she waits for him. He will probably snap again and she could be his next victim, and then where will her daughter be too. Nicole was a inocent victim. He really had her under his thumb. I just hope he does the full 15 years. But even at that it isn't long enough. I just hope his kids NEVER want to see him once he gets out. I just wish someone would take care of him in prison. I hate is stinking guts.
help please wrote:
Dear Anonymous,
I have a problem. I know someone who met Walter after he killed Nichole, but before he confessed. She knows he killed Nicole, but has chosen to stand by his side while he is in prison. I am worried for her when he gets out. I can only imagine how hard this is for your family and I am truly sorry to have to ask you to remember such sad memories, but I worry for my friend, and I do not want to have to morn for her too. If you know anything that I could relay to her to show she could be in danger, I would appreciate it. She only knows his side of things.
Angela

United States

#19 Apr 2, 2009
Dear "help please",
Your friend is naive and stupid. For her own sake she needs to tell Walter to stay the hell away from her forever. I know who she is and that she is sticking by his side. I do not think there is anything you can tell her that will make her leave him. She knows he killed someone, that he is a convicted murder and she chooses to stay with him, that could be a fatal mistake. I do not think Walter will be mournful or changed when he gets out of prison and he could possibly snap and do her harm or even kill her, if she doesn't get this than she is the one of the most naive people on this earth. I also know that she finds it necessary to send gifts to Nicole's twins on holidays and birthdays and she is just putting the Speirs family through more torture, she needs to at least stop pretending that Walter is a dad and that he will ever see his children again. The Speirs have full legal custody and they will never, ever, let that scum of a man see his children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tooele Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mormons carry a few more pounds (Feb '06) Oct '14 Ishbal Ulk 300
Ernest J. "Frenchy" Bergeron Sep '14 Nette 1
Review: Birch Family Pharmacy Sep '14 goodmaj 1
Black SUV Aug '14 Sue 1
Baby Boy in Trashcan Aug '14 flower 1
Pleasant Green Elementary School Aug. 24 2014 Aug '14 Mai Tai Bird 2
Men charged in Stansbury Park stabbing make 1st... (May '14) May '14 luvcry23 1

Winter Storm Watch for Tooele County was issued at December 27 at 3:57AM MST

Tooele Dating
Find my Match