Goldfield Hotel Artifacts

Posted in the Tonopah Forum

Peter

Riverside, CA

#1 Apr 10, 2009
I found an old item from the Goldfield Hotel. Im looking for someone that is knowledgable about artifacts from the hotel. Thanks.
Duane Hall

United States

#2 Apr 12, 2009
It would be nice to see the item. Is it a spit toon or a bed warmer? Do you have a picture?
Peter wrote:
I found an old item from the Goldfield Hotel. Im looking for someone that is knowledgable about artifacts from the hotel. Thanks.
Kevin Y

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Apr 19, 2009
photo and description needed

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 29, 2009
found spittoon like in pitcure of lobby on opening day, the ones next to the poles .
DJD

Albany, CA

#5 Sep 21, 2009
I find the bedpan question interesting as I have had a bedpan for years and just looked at the brass name plate and found it to say Goldfield Hotel. Searched and found this site.
baddurty

Chatsworth, GA

#6 Sep 24, 2009
DJD wrote:
I find the bedpan question interesting as I have had a bedpan for years and just looked at the brass name plate and found it to say Goldfield Hotel. Searched and found this site.
ifound a spiittoon and a pitcure @ goldfield hotel .com the pit is of the lobby on opening day and next to the collum is a spittoon looks like mine
Heather

San Clemente, CA

#7 Jan 10, 2010
I just received a Goldfield Hotel bedpan this week. I didn't realize that it comes from a haunted hotel. I will be taking pictures and post them if anyone is interested in looking at them.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#9 Feb 27, 2010
Heather wrote:
I just received a Goldfield Hotel bedpan this week. I didn't realize that it comes from a haunted hotel. I will be taking pictures and post them if anyone is interested in looking at them.
i would like to see thank you
jimter

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#10 May 27, 2010
I bought a spittoon at a yard sale in Haiwassee Ga.
a year ago that has a name plate on it.I had it in a back bedroom for months,we thought we heard voices sometimes, but my wife seen a man in the hall looking into the room, he started talking and walked in the room. We went in to the room and no one was there. The spittoon is now in my garage. jimter@cox.net
jimter

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#11 May 27, 2010
The spittoon was from the Goldfield Hotel.
Goldfield resident

Tonopah, NV

#12 Dec 6, 2011
In regards to your blog and Goldfield Hotel artifacts. The original spitoons in the hotel were not marked. The fantasy pieces you are referring to are just that fantasy. In the late 70's and 80's items with this brass tag were made possibly by this Gary Wakefield. Bed warmers, Spitoons or more likely its a cuspidoor. Brass and copper.Also kerosine lamps and some other items had the tag on it. In a 1984 article in the Death Valley Gazette. by Slim Sirnes "Goldfield's fame is also being spread around the country by a big importing house whose catalog lists beautiful spitoon,complete with with an engraved plaque saying Goldfield Hotel on its side. While I am sure the owners of the hotel appreciate this plug,it should be known that the Hotel was, indeed, equipped with this type of spitoon and never embossed with the hotel name".
Doubtful Bed warmers were ever used because of the fire hazard. The hotel boasted modern ammenities and was equipped with steam heat, electriciy and even in 1909 phones in the rooms.

Fact is there are still a few people who live in Goldfield who still remember when they first came out evidently 100's were made. They are not antiques yet but if you hang on to them long enough they will be! People like them as souvenir which is what they were originally made for. Hope this answers your questions.
1975emd

Columbia, SC

#13 Aug 13, 2012
I just purchased a Goldfield Hotel spitoon from a yardsale and it is in ruff shape. It needs to be cleaned and polished. Do anyone have any suggustions on how to clean it or where I might can take it to get cleaned? It also has a dent in it that I dont know how to fix. Any help from someone with knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
jimter

Crestview, FL

#14 Aug 30, 2013
The Spittoon I have is copper vary old, the bottom is heavy and cracking, has patina and mold on it but has the Goldfield Hotel, Goldfield Nevada name plate. Could someone send me more info on this. jimter@cox.net
Goldfield resident wrote:
In regards to your blog and Goldfield Hotel artifacts. The original spitoons in the hotel were not marked. The fantasy pieces you are referring to are just that fantasy. In the late 70's and 80's items with this brass tag were made possibly by this Gary Wakefield. Bed warmers, Spitoons or more likely its a cuspidoor. Brass and copper.Also kerosine lamps and some other items had the tag on it. In a 1984 article in the Death Valley Gazette. by Slim Sirnes "Goldfield's fame is also being spread around the country by a big importing house whose catalog lists beautiful spitoon,complete with with an engraved plaque saying Goldfield Hotel on its side. While I am sure the owners of the hotel appreciate this plug,it should be known that the Hotel was, indeed, equipped with this type of spitoon and never embossed with the hotel name".
Doubtful Bed warmers were ever used because of the fire hazard. The hotel boasted modern ammenities and was equipped with steam heat, electriciy and even in 1909 phones in the rooms.
Fact is there are still a few people who live in Goldfield who still remember when they first came out evidently 100's were made. They are not antiques yet but if you hang on to them long enough they will be! People like them as souvenir which is what they were originally made for. Hope this answers your questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tonopah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Friends & Nieghbors: Here's the rub (May '08) Nov 17 Laurie 4
Hi-Tech military weapons stolen from base and s... Oct 27 Reno NV 1
Michael Burnaroos (Feb '09) Sep '14 Curious 43
Irish company optimistic about oil discovery (Dec '12) Sep '14 SallySam 2
Tonopah Music Emporium (Oct '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 10
Silver State Mainline hits the road following r... Jul '14 Joe 1
Tension growing between ranchers, mustang backers (Apr '14) Apr '14 Big Jake 3
Tonopah Dating
Find my Match

Tonopah People Search