Nye Co. teen held in rifle slaying of girl

Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal

PAHRUMP, Nev. -- A 15-year-old boy has been jailed and could face adult criminal charges for shooting and killing an 18-year-old Nye County woman while handling a rifle at a Nye County home, police said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of108
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
PORTLAND OREGON

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2006

THE BOY SHOULD BE TRIED AS AN ADULT. THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT. THIS BOY POINTED THE GUN AND PULLED THE TRIGGER - THIS ACTION PROVES INTENT TO KILL.
San Diego California

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2006

I'd like to know the charge that prompted the boy's house arrest. While the primary fault lies with the boy who pulled the trigger, is it or shouldn't it be a law that guns be locked up when not in use or as soon as any maintenance is complete? What is the standard when an adult wants a gun nearby for a home intruder? Should that be locked at any time assuming young children are not in the home?
Joy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2006

what a nightmare for both the boy and family of the young woman who no doubt not long ago greduated high school. Accidents happen but why is any gun left loaded in any home? I feel bad for both famlies and I think there should be schooling that must be given to any one who wishes to own a gun. videos and speakers of lost loved ones should be there to give lectures. Wake up people use comon sence, lock guns up and do not load them unless you feel a need. as a wepon, wouldn't a frying pan work just as well? I can see having protection but this leaves us to really wonder what the parents were thinking. How sad
Sally Jones

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2006

PORTLAND OREGON wrote:
THE BOY SHOULD BE TRIED AS AN ADULT. THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT. THIS BOY POINTED THE GUN AND PULLED THE TRIGGER - THIS ACTION PROVES INTENT TO KILL.
Were you there? Did you see it happen? Do you have kids?
Theresa Stevens

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2006

I feel that the parents of the boy who shot the gun, should be charged for letting this clueless child out of the house at all, and the family who allowed these three young kids into the bedroom where the gun was , should be charged, and the boy who shot that very beatuful girl, and took her life away should be charged with murder. I just thank God that punk kid was never around my 15 year old Daughter, when we lived there. God help everyone involved, and the parents who are going thru the pain of losing their daughter this way, A life cut to short.
sad

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2006

Sally Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
It doen't matter if you have kids or not. He pointed it at her head and pulled the trigger. He wasn't suppose to be out of his home because of the trouble he got himself into before the shooting. Obviously he didn't learn anything the first time, if it is his first time. Why did his parents let him out? They should also be charged as this wouldn't have happened if they had restricted his movement which they had promised the court. But then if they had done their jobs as parents he would have known not to point a gun at anyone and assume it is unloaded.
Suzan

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2006

There is a fund set up for her family.
"Ronya Qutob Memorial Fund"
Bank of America
Suzanne

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2006

Sally Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
The girl shot and killed was my niece. She was beautiful both inside and out. For you to ask "did you see it happen" or "do you have kids" is irrelevant and sickening. A 15 year old knows better not to pick up a gun, point it at someone's head and pull the trigger. Shame on the parents of this killer and the parents of the boy who owned the gun.
Kjell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2006

This sad incident are mostly caused by the Video Games plays today, where there is no dead but large amount of blood but nobody gets hurt.
Parent are also responcibly to educate the child in reality vs. games?
Lionnik37

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2006

I happen to know the accidental shooter and though I agree he should have been at home and not handling a gun, none of us were there. I know this was an accident. The accidental shooter is suffering with the knowledge that he has accidentally killed someone and has to now live with it and his life is now essentially over. Death is permanent, but prison for a 15 year old child leaves scars that are permanent too and he will never overcome this incident. He will be ruined for live and both families are changed forever.
portland oregon

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2006

Sally Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Sally - I have nieces and nephews who are like my kids. Although, I wasn't there I do have first hand knowledge of what happened as I personally know the victim and her family. I have been kept up to date on all info as it is provided by my Rony's aunt and uncle.

Where you there Sally? Do you think it is appropriate for anybody to aim a gun at somebody? This boy is old enough to know that you do NOT EVER do that. He should be punished as an adult. I say an eye for an eye.....
other

Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2006

Kjell wrote:
This sad incident are mostly caused by the Video Games plays today, where there is no dead but large amount of blood but nobody gets hurt.
Parent are also responcibly to educate the child in reality vs. games?
I think that is BULLSHIT, why is it when I kid does something wrong everyone tries to blame it on video games, music or TV. If anything it is the parents fault for now teaching the child right and letting them do whatever the hell they want. Quit tring to put the blame on something else and put the blame where it belong on the parent.
Remembering Ronya

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2006

Ronya Qutob

A service of remembrance for Ronya Lynn Qutob, 18, who died June 23, 2006 in Pahrump, will be held from 3-6 p.m. Saturday at the Pahrump Senior Center.

She was born Nov. 10, 1987 in Dallas, Ore. She was a 4-year resident of Pahrump, coming from Anchorage, Alaska.

She was a recent graduate of Pahrump Valley High School who liked white carnations. She also volunteered for the SPCA.

Her mother Kelly (Kevin) Ruckle of Pahrump; father Michael Qutob of Sugar Land, Texas; siblings Sara Qutob of Pahrump, Geoffrey Williams of South Carolina, Abraham Qutob of Sugar Land; and Musa Qutob; niece Aroura Qutob; and many pets survive her.
Remembering Ronya

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2006

I want to send out a great thanks to Pahrump, all of those
who made this celebration possible.
This incident is one that should have never, ever happened
to anyone and we all need to make sure that it will NEVER
happen again.
I also want to put out a special thank you to
Sherrif Demeo who attended.
Uncle Tony

Carrollton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2006

It's very hard to loose a child ,you were a ray of sunshine full of love and kindness you loved your animals, flowers, friends, and family we all going to miss I know when we think of you our souls will connect and some day will reunite in god's heaven, and this time you will talk back to me and you don't have to lay down with your eye closed ,rest in peace love Amo Nader {TONY}
Bondo

New London, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2006

I don't think Accidental Shooter is the way to describe the Shooter in this case, He had to have some knowlege of the operation of this weapon.

He had to have cocked the hammer back or if it was a bolt action pull it back and that would chamber a round, the weapon would have to be taken off safe mode then aimed at the young lady then pull the trigger. Manslaughter First Degree 25 to life, Let him get a few scars in prison that he can remember fot the rest of his life.

Had it been my daughter they would have already attended this jerk's funeral.
Lionnik37 wrote:
I happen to know the accidental shooter and though I agree he should have been at home and not handling a gun, none of us were there. I know this was an accident. The accidental shooter is suffering with the knowledge that he has accidentally killed someone and has to now live with it and his life is now essentially over. Death is permanent, but prison for a 15 year old child leaves scars that are permanent too and he will never overcome this incident. He will be ruined for live and both families are changed forever.
Patti

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2006

This young lady was exceptional....She lit up the room when she entered...and really connected with everyone...She did not have anything but affection and love for everyone. The young man that did this should have never been allowed out of his home...he should certainly be charged as an adult for MURDER, and his parents should be charged as accessories to this crime...as they are as GUILTY as he is.

Hopefully, the authorities in charge of this case will do what is right....Ronya should have never had died this way...THE ABSURD fact that women and children in this country are killed in such stupid and random acts on a continual basis has GOT TO STOP!

There are ALOT of guilty people in this case...This young lady was an outstanding member of our family...and we are praying that justice is served in every means possible...What will this young man do in the future if he is not put away for good now? Shame on his parents...and the parents of the boy whose house this took place in. AS PARENTS, it is YOUR JOB to be sure these things never happen...Take some control...take some interest...look what your lack of interest has done to OUR FAMILY!!!
cowy546

Reno, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2006

Lionnik37 wrote:
The fact that you bring up permanent scars from prison for this 15-yr old boy is disgusting....the fact that ronya has a permanent scar in her head from this "Accidental shooting" doesn't cross your mind? I was extremely close to ronya...and these people defending the shooter, regardless of him being your friend, is sickening. what sickens me is the letters and emails directed towards ronya's family asking them to go easy on lee, because he is shocked and shaken angers me to no end. this is a family in grieving. they have just lost the person that they love most in the world and they are receiving this heinous treatment through emails and letters to the editors because the friends of this 15 yr old boy feel sorry for what he is going through. put yourself in the shoes of this family....if your loved one was killed because of a stupid situation that COULD have been prevented if some teenager had some common sense, which we all have, not to pick up and point it at someones face and PULL THE TRIGGER! regardless of whether or not you think it is loaded, most people know that this is not the smartest thing to do...
Shanon-from Oregon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2006

My thoughts and prayers are with you all Kelly and family..
Remembering Ronya

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2006

The saddest part of this whole mess is that it has now been over 3 months and still, no investigation on Nye Counties part. All due to the fact that the
15 year old told the police that it was an accident.

Does that mean any "murder" can be claimed "an accident" and any person should get off with no investigation?

Or is it that someone has paid someone off?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of108
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Tonopah Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Tonopah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••