First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

AOL

#1 Nov 28, 2007
I'll be traveling through Kentucky soon and I've heard about a place in Tompkinville called dovies. I'm told they serve a deep-fried hamburger.

Can anyone tell me more about this place?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. McGee
elf

AOL

#2 Nov 28, 2007
dovies has a great deep fried burger.. if you havent tried it, you should... you'll prabably want to take some home too...
JUSTICE

Glasgow, KY

#3 Nov 28, 2007
They are good burgers. But be perpared to stop at restrooms when you eat them.:)

Since: May 07

Louisville

#4 Nov 28, 2007
They are good burgers but definitly get some antacids. Especially if you aren't use to eating high fat foods. But everyone needs to try them when they visit the area. Dovies is a big part of Tompkinsville history.
nobody

Columbia, KY

#5 Nov 29, 2007
DrMcGee55 wrote:
I'll be traveling through Kentucky soon and I've heard about a place in Tompkinville called dovies. I'm told they serve a deep-fried hamburger.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. McGee
Very good burger, just a tad different. A very good article on Dovie's can be found at:

http://www.imunusual.com/page/page/3340026.ht ...

Site has interesting articles on several different places, including one you should try at Jamestown if you're going to be in that area too. Think everyone here should read the opinion by Lee Iacocca, since the Rep and Dem seem so sure of their politics. Has a lot of fun links there, and some interesting polls to vote on.
nobody

Columbia, KY

#6 Dec 2, 2007
Hey Doc, been there yet?
River Rat

Secaucus, NJ

#7 Dec 3, 2007
You need to try one the original way, and one with the grease squeezed out. Maybe not at the same time tho. LOL
Local

Campbellsville, KY

#8 Jan 1, 2008
DrMcGee55 wrote:
Thanks in advance,
Dr. McGee
They're double-cooked in grease...I've heard in the mornings before they heat the cookers up you can see the mouse tracks across the lard.
yeah yeah

Horse Cave, KY

#9 Jan 1, 2008
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
They're double-cooked in grease...I've heard in the mornings before they heat the cookers up you can see the mouse tracks across the lard.
Well, you can look at it this way. If the mouse shits on its way across the lard, you can have your daily dose of fiber and heart attack all at the same time!
Local

Campbellsville, KY

#10 Jan 1, 2008
yeah yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you can look at it this way. If the mouse shits on its way across the lard, you can have your daily dose of fiber and heart attack all at the same time!
YUM!
Really

Jamestown, TN

#11 Jan 1, 2008
anybody that denies loving those nasty delicious burgers, is a LIAR
Kygal

United States

#12 Jan 1, 2008
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't use lard, they use oil to cook with.
ElizabethAnne

Glasgow, KY

#13 Jan 1, 2008
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
They do clean the grill.
Local

Campbellsville, KY

#14 Jan 2, 2008
Kygal wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't use lard, they use oil to cook with.
No, it's lard...look when you go in, the big flat cookers are filled with LARD, not oil. Unless they've changed it, which I doubt very seriously. Tell you what...buy one, let it sit out to room temp. and SEE if the grease doesn't harden up. Oil won't do that. ;o)

Besides, a girl who worked there told me they were cooked in lard, since I'd never had one, and don't get me wrong, I eat them...not very often because YES, they will tear your stomach up (not to mention hardening your arteries at the same time) but they are cooked in lard, despite that they are still good.
Kygal

United States

#15 Jan 2, 2008
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's lard...look when you go in, the big flat cookers are filled with LARD, not oil. Unless they've changed it, which I doubt very seriously. Tell you what...buy one, let it sit out to room temp. and SEE if the grease doesn't harden up. Oil won't do that. ;o)
Besides, a girl who worked there told me they were cooked in lard, since I'd never had one, and don't get me wrong, I eat them...not very often because YES, they will tear your stomach up (not to mention hardening your arteries at the same time) but they are cooked in lard, despite that they are still good.
I've watched them pour the oil out of large gallon plastic/glass containers into the fryers with my own eyes.
leslie

Greensburg, KY

#16 Jan 8, 2008
Ive worked a dovie's for years we use sunflower oil. As to the cleaning its one of the cleanest restraunts around, we've never gotten below a 93 from the health inspector. I think the proof is we've been around for over 40 years and still have faithful customers from all over the country.

Since: May 07

Louisville

#17 Jan 8, 2008
I actually think that it is more comforting that you can actually sit and watch them be cooked. What about those resturants that you can't do that....you don't have a clue what is going on behind there. And believe me I know because I worked in fast food for almost 9 years!
Your Joking Right

Glasgow, KY

#18 Jan 13, 2008
Yeah but have you ever really looked at one of those grease bombs? It hardens your arteries while you wait.
Adair Native

Rineyville, KY

#19 Jan 13, 2008
I don't care for the burgers, but most people I know love them. The egg sandwiches are really good. I like the fried hot dogs also.

Since: Jan 08

AOL

#20 Jan 18, 2008
I like the service and the atmosphere but i seldom eat there, it seems to me that anymore you get mostly burned bread that they use as a filler in the meat. The last one I got there wasn't nearly half as big as the bun it was on so I decided if I wanted a bread sandwich I could have that at home.But boy they were good back in the early eighties!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tompkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good true Doctors very thin in T-ville 1 hr concerned 32
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mike Duquette 131,463
Who's gonna be Tvilles next mayor? 2 hr T-ville Voter 17
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 7 hr hmmm 501
jonathan hammer??? 7 hr Alabama Slamma 2
Darrell Ford is out of jail (Oct '12) 7 hr Alabama Slamma 110
lookin for Jonathan 15 hr just worried 1
Tompkinsville Dating
Find my Match

Tompkinsville Jobs

Tompkinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tompkinsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tompkinsville