why do people drop off their unwanted pets

Posted in the Tompkinsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dont think so

Glasgow, KY

#1 Jul 19, 2008
I don't understand why people just drop off their unwanted pets. If you don't want them, then take them to a shelter.don't just drop them on the side of the road to stave to death! How would you like that done to you. They can't fend for themselves, they have to have someone to take care of them. If everyone dumps their animal, then they start running in packs and kill live stock. Have a heart people. Quite dumping your animals!!!!!!!

“The Cat's Meow!”

Since: Jul 08

Bugtussle

#2 Jul 19, 2008
dont think so wrote:
I don't understand why people just drop off their unwanted pets. If you don't want them, then take them to a shelter.don't just drop them on the side of the road to stave to death! How would you like that done to you. They can't fend for themselves, they have to have someone to take care of them. If everyone dumps their animal, then they start running in packs and kill live stock. Have a heart people. Quite dumping your animals!!!!!!!
Thank you. I have picked up puppies on our back road and taken them to the shelter in Glasgow. They charge you $15 or $20, because they are out of county, but Monroe county only has a pound. The pound can only keep them a few days, then puts them down. It is a sad situation, my husband has already killed two stray dogs this year that were hanging out around our cattle.

Spay and neuter is the only way.
dont think so

Glasgow, KY

#3 Jul 19, 2008
someone just dropped off some pups on me today and 5 kittens. I get animals dumped on me at least once a month. And i am getting tired of it. I can't keep all of them. And i don't have the heart to put them down, nor the money to get them all fixed. I wish i could afford to open some type of shelter for unwanted animals. Everyone says my heart is to big when it comes to strays, but i can't help it. They need love the same as we do.

Since: Jun 08

Glasgow, KY

#4 Jul 19, 2008
i have a friend that had a cat that had kittens about a year and a half ago and her husband took ALL of them to McDonalds parking lot and dropped them off when the kittens were old enough to start walking around. i thought that that was very cruel. a few days later i saw a few of the kittens lying on main street where someone had ran over them.
dont think so

Glasgow, KY

#5 Jul 20, 2008
i just don't understand how anyone can do that to an animal. it is just plain cruel and cold hearted.

“The Cat's Meow!”

Since: Jul 08

Bugtussle

#6 Jul 20, 2008
dont think so wrote:
someone just dropped off some pups on me today and 5 kittens. I get animals dumped on me at least once a month. And i am getting tired of it. I can't keep all of them. And i don't have the heart to put them down, nor the money to get them all fixed. I wish i could afford to open some type of shelter for unwanted animals. Everyone says my heart is to big when it comes to strays, but i can't help it. They need love the same as we do.
Do you think there would be enough interest and $$ to start a shelter in Monroe County? I don't have a lot of $$ but I could vol. some time. I'll do some research on how to start a shleter, but it couldn't be a no kill. Some animals have to be put down, like vicious dogs, suffering animals, etc. Keep posting and we will see what we can find out.
dont think so

Glasgow, KY

#7 Jul 20, 2008
i agree, some animals do have to be put down, sometimes you have to be cruel, to be good. such sick and vicious animals. As far as interest,i don't know.$$ most likely not. but i would love to be able to do something.i love animals. and it breaks my heart to see one being miss treated in any way!

“"Who am I?"”

Since: May 08

Chickasawhatchee

#8 Jul 26, 2008
I'm a big pet lover, and I never have understood why people drop off animals, likely leaving them to die.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Jul 26, 2008
I don't understand it either. I am an animal activist and I don't know what I would do without my dog. I have been trying to convince the people of this county to start a shelter for years and I can never get the support.
jpas1864

Hastings, FL

#10 Jan 6, 2009
If you are reading this perhaps you can help me. If you live in Jax Fl and would like to have a good male dog of shepard and rottwiller mix I have one that needs a good home. He was a drop off in my neighborhood 5 months ago and I have to find him a home or I will have to hit the streets my self. Do not want to live on the streets, so I need to find him a home. Please send your reply to jpas1864@bellsouth.net subject"need to place puppy"
Thanks
Jerry
jpas1864

Hastings, FL

#11 Jan 6, 2009
I need to place a 8 month old germanshepard rottwiller mix. His name is Dobby thanks to my 2 year old granddaughter. He was a drop off in my neighborhood 5 months ago and I have to find him a home or I will have to move. Good with small children and other dogs not cats. Wants to chase them and play with them they freak out. If you are in Jax fl. and you can take him reply to jpas1864@bellsouth.net subjet"find puppy a good home" thanks
Jerry
Concerned

Horse Cave, KY

#12 Jan 6, 2009
I have tried and tried to find the labmix pups a home for about a week or so I did find one person to help but need help finding homes for the others. They were dropped off in a clear tote on dragstrip road to die. I really hope the person who dropped these will be found and made pay. These animals do not deserve this.
doglover

Glasgow, KY

#13 Jan 22, 2009
If anyone finds any golden retriever, lab or boxer puppies let me know. Really, if anyone finds any puppies post them on here and start a feed in the Glasgow and Lexington Topix as well. I know a ton of people who want dogs. I am looking for one as well and I'd rather save one that go buy one.
Animal Fan

Glendale, KY

#14 Jan 22, 2009
I agree fully. The suffering that these tiny animals go through is ridiculous. I am a major animal lover, but I currently do not have any pets. I cannot afford to take care of one properly right now. I have made the more "wise" and "grown up" decision not to adopt a pet. I think people get cats and dogs when they are babies and are more cute. When the newness wears off and the animals are grown they do not want them anymore. It makes me so mad!
angelindisguise

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Feb 3, 2009
Mother Nature wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think there would be enough interest and $$ to start a shelter in Monroe County? I don't have a lot of $$ but I could vol. some time. I'll do some research on how to start a shleter, but it couldn't be a no kill. Some animals have to be put down, like vicious dogs, suffering animals, etc. Keep posting and we will see what we can find out.
Did you have any luck at all trying to start a shelter here for strays?
kathy_naturescap e

Haskell, OK

#16 Feb 11, 2009
I have nine puppies from my own dog that I have to take care of because I didn't get my dog fixed in time. This morning, Feb. 11, 2009 I went out to feed my pups and someone had dumped two more females puppies about the same age as mine, in my kennel during the night. This makes me so angry! I am trying to be responsible for my own pups, why does someone else think I can afford to take care of theirs as well. Its hard enough financially for me...how friggin selfish of pet owners to throw their problem on others. Now I have 8 females and 3 males that I have to fix plus the mom!!!! FIX YOUR PETS!!!!

Since: Apr 08

Half a mile past Hell.

#17 Feb 11, 2009
turtle9585 wrote:
i have a friend that had a cat that had kittens about a year and a half ago and her husband took ALL of them to McDonalds parking lot and dropped them off when the kittens were old enough to start walking around. i thought that that was very cruel. a few days later i saw a few of the kittens lying on main street where someone had ran over them.
"Our humanity is not measured by how we treat other people. Our humanity is measured by how we treat animals." Chuck Palahniuk

I think the number one thing everyone needs to do right now to help prevent this problem is to SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS. Stop breeding your dogs & start adopting. There are plenty of dogs & cats in animal shelters that need good homes, which is why it is unbelievably selfish & silly to continue to breed more dogs & cats that people will shell out hundreds of dollars for.

I also think there should be a federal law that prevents pet stores from selling dogs & cats. That would put an end to a lot of those cruel puppy mills:

http://images.google.com/images...

It would also (hopefully) cause more people to adopt from animal shelters.

There should also be a federal law that prevents private breeders from breeding more than two breeds of dogs & that limits them to only 1 litter a year. They should have to be required to have some sort of license & if they don't follow the regulations they will be fined up to ten times the amount they would sell their puppies for.

Lastly, I think it should be federal law that animal cruelty be considered a felony in all 50 states.

But since none of these kinds of laws have been passed & there doesn't appear to be any legislation to do so, the only thing we as individuals can do to help this problem is continue spaying & neutering our pets & adopting them from animal shelters instead of buying them from breeders & pet stores.
emily

United States

#18 Sep 16, 2010
dont think so wrote:
I don't understand why people just drop off their unwanted pets. If you don't want them, then take them to a shelter.don't just drop them on the side of the road to stave to death! How would you like that done to you. They can't fend for themselves, they have to have someone to take care of them. If everyone dumps their animal, then they start running in packs and kill live stock. Get a life and a heart people. Quite dumping your animals!!!!!!!
I have to agree with you! I have no idea!!! If you dont want your dog then why get it because our just spendin money! If you get a dog, keep it and not get rid of it. That dog will respect you and follow you! thats what mine does she just follows me everywhere i go. but anyways, dont just get a dog and then drop it off there just gunna starve and die because of starvation. they will go out on the road and get hit by a vcar and then you'll go down that road and you will see him o rher that got hit.
emily

United States

#19 Sep 16, 2010
dont think so wrote:
i just don't understand how anyone can do that to an animal. it is just plain cruel and cold hearted.
ok people are just plain cruel to their animals when they didnt do anything to them. people beat them, and hit them, and everything. i dont know why people drop off their animals and beat them and then get a bunch of animails and then just leave then in their abandon house with noo food and water and their laying in their own crap and pee. i just dont get people. really dont.
wendigo

Glasgow, KY

#20 Sep 17, 2010
Only sadistic, worthless examples of humans would do such a thing. I honestly believe anyone who has ever harmed an animal wouldn't think twice about harming a person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tompkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Monroe Co Sheriff Race 2014 2 hr barney 6
is jonathan mails single 6 hr mail man 4
Cowardly Kurt Winter 9 hr Serving Papers 9
new business 10 hr Jobhunter 7
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 hr Mike Duquette 131,476
Who's gonna be Tvilles next mayor? 21 hr Mr Smith 18
monroe county men 21 hr Mr Smith 4
Tompkinsville Dating
Find my Match

Tompkinsville Jobs

Tompkinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tompkinsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tompkinsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]