Moped rider injured in U.S. 421 crash

There are 20 comments on the Watauga Democrat story from Apr 24, 2013, titled Moped rider injured in U.S. 421 crash. In it, Watauga Democrat reports that:

A moped rider was injured Wednesday afternoon after running into the side of an SUV on U.S. 421.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watauga Democrat.

Joe

Wilmington, NC

#1 Apr 25, 2013
Was he drunk? People ride these things for a reason.
Bubba

Linden, NC

#2 Apr 25, 2013
These things need to be licensed and insured. Driver of SUV probably got the ticket and you know any damages to their car will be paid for out of the Suv drivers pocket. If these things are allowed to operate on the highways unlicensed and uninsured, let's do it for motorcycles as well and be fair about it.
Wil

Denver, NC

#3 Apr 25, 2013
it was a moped and you don't even need a License.It said it was the mopeds fault.What bob was saying he was probably an alcoholic.get your shit together.
Bubba

Linden, NC

#4 Apr 25, 2013
We know mopeds don't need license. That in part is the problem. The majority of moped operators have lost their driving privaledges on our state highways through the court system yet still tye up traffic and create accidents for other motorist. They are two wheel motorized vehicles just like motorcycles yet m/c operators must have an endorsement on their license, insurance, tag and pay road use taxes. The only difference is the speed that they travel which is another reason that they should not be on the highway. They cause other motorist to have to take chances that they normally would not have to take because they can't run the speed limit. Betcha' Wil is a moped operator, lol.
Wil

Denver, NC

#5 Apr 26, 2013
Mopeds run on15 ccs or less.boy I call that motorized like a mc.
Bubba

Linden, NC

#6 Apr 26, 2013
Wil wrote:
Mopeds run on15 ccs or less.boy I call that motorized like a mc.
Moped sizes begin at 50 cc's and go to a max of 300 cc's. Any moped over 50 cc's and any of those that their speed will exceed 30mph on level ground is required by N.C. law to be registered as a motorcycle and taged accordingly and used by a licensed operator. I have never seen a moped with a tag on it with some reaching sppeds of 60 mph on level ground then speeds dropping to 15 mph uphill. Where are the law enforcement officers? You're not a student of the college are you? lol
Wil

Denver, NC

#7 Apr 27, 2013
50 ccs or not it don't require a license.there are some with more ccs that do.
Jooseuck

Monroe, NC

#8 May 28, 2013
No vehicle should be allowed on a road that has a higher speed limit than that vehicle's top speed. Period with no exceptions. No moped should ever be on any road with a speed limit higher than 35. No bicycle should ever be on any road with a speed limit over 15.

It causes wrecks, delays people, and feeds road rage.
Brad

Boone, NC

#9 May 29, 2013
Jooseuck wrote:
No vehicle should be allowed on a road that has a higher speed limit than that vehicle's top speed. Period with no exceptions. No moped should ever be on any road with a speed limit higher than 35. No bicycle should ever be on any road with a speed limit over 15.
It causes wrecks, delays people, and feeds road rage.
What about the Amish and their buggies? I guess we should just restrict them to their own farms.
Jooseuck

Monroe, NC

#10 May 29, 2013
The Amish should build their own roads. They do not pay road taxes anyway so why should they be allowed to use them? Like I said, no vehicle should ever be allowed on a road if that vehicle can not do the posted speed limit. No matter what the vehicle is or who is driving it.
Brad

Boone, NC

#11 May 30, 2013
Jooseuck wrote:
The Amish should build their own roads. They do not pay road taxes anyway so why should they be allowed to use them? Like I said, no vehicle should ever be allowed on a road if that vehicle can not do the posted speed limit. No matter what the vehicle is or who is driving it.
Oh, ok. I thought you were an idiot after reading your first comment, and you just confirmed it. Thanks!
Jooseuck

Monroe, NC

#12 May 31, 2013
I do not understand what makes me an idiot for wanting vehicles only on roads they can do the speed limit on. I do not see anyone complaining they can't take their moped or horse and buggy or bicycle on the interstate. Why can they be on other roads that are just as unsafe?

If you can't go with the flow of traffic then stay out of it. Why is that idiotic? Help me out here. I need to understand what is so important about being able to bother everyone on he road.
Brad

Boone, NC

#13 May 31, 2013
People have a right to travel. This has been upheld in the courts. They are able to use whatever legal mode of transportation they can find. This is a buggy for those with particular religious beliefs, and mopeds for those who do not have a drivers license. Now, if you seriously think that the Amish should build their own roads, and that people who do not have a license should have walk everywhere they go, and that cyclists do not have the right to ride on roads that they pay taxes for, please write your congress member. Otherwise, find something better to complain about.
Joe

Banner Elk, NC

#14 May 31, 2013
Brad wrote:
People have a right to travel. This has been upheld in the courts. They are able to use whatever legal mode of transportation they can find. This is a buggy for those with particular religious beliefs, and mopeds for those who do not have a drivers license. Now, if you seriously think that the Amish should build their own roads, and that people who do not have a license should have walk everywhere they go, and that cyclists do not have the right to ride on roads that they pay taxes for, please write your congress member. Otherwise, find something better to complain about.
I think I have to disagree with some of what you are saying here. Bicyclist have the right to the roads, but should use a little common sense about where they ride. You want to ride in town, fine. But these cyclists who are out on these back roads are not using common sense. When you go around a curve and a bicycle is there, there is a good chance they are going be struck. I personally think that bicycles should be restricted to bike lanes. Drunks who get a DUI have given up their right to operate a motor vehicle and are a danger to the public. They should not be operating a moped or any other motorized vehicle. That is a loophole that needs to be closed.
Brad

Boone, NC

#15 May 31, 2013
Restricted to bike lanes? You mean the one by New Market and the one through App? Because, to the best of my knowledge, those are the only two in town. We can't just go around restricting how people travel because it may slow others down. Let's just ban crosswalks while were at it. I mean, the 15 seconds it takes for someone to cross the road translates into a whopping 15 seconds you have to wait.
Joe

Banner Elk, NC

#16 May 31, 2013
Brad wrote:
Restricted to bike lanes? You mean the one by New Market and the one through App? Because, to the best of my knowledge, those are the only two in town. We can't just go around restricting how people travel because it may slow others down. Let's just ban crosswalks while were at it. I mean, the 15 seconds it takes for someone to cross the road translates into a whopping 15 seconds you have to wait.
No, I think there should be more bike lanes. And yes, I think travel should be restricted. Not because of slowing anyone down, but in the interest of safety. There are roads that are not suited to bicycle traffic. Too many blind curves. If your cycling in these areas, you are taking your life into your own hands and are not being responsible. And inconsiderate.
Jeff

Boone, NC

#17 May 31, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I think there should be more bike lanes. And yes, I think travel should be restricted. Not because of slowing anyone down, but in the interest of safety. There are roads that are not suited to bicycle traffic. Too many blind curves. If your cycling in these areas, you are taking your life into your own hands and are not being responsible. And inconsiderate.
Well, the thing is, roads aren't made to just be traveled by 4 wheeled automobiles. The are made for cars, trucks, cyclists, and pedestrians. All have an equal right to travel on the roads that their taxes pay for. If you're inconvenienced because someone is traveling slower than you, than you are the problem, in my opinion. Is a cyclist taking a chance by biking on a back road? Sure, but that doesn't mean their travel should be restricted. Basically, you need to be able to stop as soon as you see a pedestrian. If you're going around a curve so fast, that you can't stop in time, YOU would be at fault.
George

Banner Elk, NC

#18 Jun 1, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the thing is, roads aren't made to just be traveled by 4 wheeled automobiles. The are made for cars, trucks, cyclists, and pedestrians. All have an equal right to travel on the roads that their taxes pay for. If you're inconvenienced because someone is traveling slower than you, than you are the problem, in my opinion. Is a cyclist taking a chance by biking on a back road? Sure, but that doesn't mean their travel should be restricted. Basically, you need to be able to stop as soon as you see a pedestrian. If you're going around a curve so fast, that you can't stop in time, YOU would be at fault.
It's not about rights or inconvienence. It's about safety. If the speed limit is 25 mph around a curve, should a vehicle slow tp 5 mph just in case a cyclist is there? What kind of hazard would that create for other motorist? Seems like most cyclist are more concerned about their right to be there than their safety.And i would think, knowing the court system, that if a motorist were charged in a line of sight incident that it would easily be plead down to an unsafe movement or listed as unavoidable.
smartypants

Jefferson, NC

#19 Jun 6, 2013
All new roads should have a bike/walking lane...
Now Now

Lenoir, NC

#20 Jun 6, 2013
The drunks on their "licker cycles" have to be able to get to the ABC store like the rest of us. ;-)>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Hedrick Kepley Attorneys 7 hr Lux 155
Been on your own since 17 Mon Matt 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Judy Porter Poe as Commissioner? May 3 Nancy 1
does anyone know katie eckard n madison eckard? (Nov '13) May 1 Cameron 2
Why is it so hard to be a white man? (Feb '14) Apr 30 Man 11
Target in Boone (Jun '13) Apr 30 An opinion 25
Has Anybody hired Vaughn Investigations (Dec '08) Apr 28 Ice Cold 44
More from around the web

Todd People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE