Caldwell Community College- any one else get the run around?

Posted in the Todd Forum

seriously

Wilmington, NC

#1 Jan 4, 2013
is this place a joke? the office staff/counselors (for the most part, not referring to everyone) are rediculous! staff has no idea what they are talking about and gives you the run around. i have NEVER been to a college where you are not assigned a counselor individually,they are rude and unprofessional (like I said, not all) but for the most part. anyone else had simlar experiences?
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#2 Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, no wonder their dropout rate is so damn high. All they care about is getting you tuition money and sending you on your way. They need to do a little more in terms of guiding people in the right direction.
Search for the answers

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jan 4, 2013
As a Caldwell graduate, let me say this first, Caldwell is an excellent school. Not only are several of the professors also professors at Appalachian, but the school cares about your success. To qualify my opinion, I studied a Caldwell, where I receive an associate of science. Then, I went on to receive two bachelors degrees from Appalachian. Now, I'm working towards a juris doctorate. Caldwell prepared me for my achievements. Believe it or not,(seven point grading scale, etc.) Caldwell is much, much harder than Appalachian. With the small, caring staff, I must say, Caldwell has been the most helpful and honest of the schools that I've attended.

The high dropout rate that Bob mentioned is nothing more than a causal error. The dropout rates are high (assuming Bob is correct) because of the students, not because of the school. Too many people decide they want an associates degree, or higher, then later learn that they don't want to put forth the erffort that is required. Like I've said, Caldwell is tough, but it more than prepares you for bigger, seemingly more demanding schools. Above all, be an adult. Don't rely on someone else to figure things out for you. Others may blame Caldwell, but they're the ones who didn't do the work. "Seriously," if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Please, let me know.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#4 Jan 5, 2013
Search for the answers wrote:
As a Caldwell graduate, let me say this first, Caldwell is an excellent school. Not only are several of the professors also professors at Appalachian, but the school cares about your success. To qualify my opinion, I studied a Caldwell, where I receive an associate of science. Then, I went on to receive two bachelors degrees from Appalachian. Now, I'm working towards a juris doctorate. Caldwell prepared me for my achievements. Believe it or not,(seven point grading scale, etc.) Caldwell is much, much harder than Appalachian. With the small, caring staff, I must say, Caldwell has been the most helpful and honest of the schools that I've attended.
The high dropout rate that Bob mentioned is nothing more than a causal error. The dropout rates are high (assuming Bob is correct) because of the students, not because of the school. Too many people decide they want an associates degree, or higher, then later learn that they don't want to put forth the erffort that is required. Like I've said, Caldwell is tough, but it more than prepares you for bigger, seemingly more demanding schools. Above all, be an adult. Don't rely on someone else to figure things out for you. Others may blame Caldwell, but they're the ones who didn't do the work. "Seriously," if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Please, let me know.
Well, as a Caldwell graduate myself, I completely disagree. If Caldwell is tough for you, then that's a problem. It's a community college, not Harvard. The advisors are there to advise the students, but they don't live up to their title. And, in my opinion, the high dropout rate isn't because of lack of effort, it's because the instructors don't really help out. The go through the motions of teaching, but don't spend any time helping the students who are having more trouble than others. Yeah, there are some that are an exception, but the majority don't. And I don't see how you can explain the high dropout rate as a "casual error" when you don't even know IF there is a high dropout rate. Basically, you're uninformed and not qualified to speak about the subject.
Search for the answers

Charlotte, NC

#5 Jan 5, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, as a Caldwell graduate myself, I completely disagree. If Caldwell is tough for you, then that's a problem. It's a community college, not Harvard. The advisors are there to advise the students, but they don't live up to their title. And, in my opinion, the high dropout rate isn't because of lack of effort, it's because the instructors don't really help out. The go through the motions of teaching, but don't spend any time helping the students who are having more trouble than others. Yeah, there are some that are an exception, but the majority don't. And I don't see how you can explain the high dropout rate as a "casual error" when you don't even know IF there is a high dropout rate. Basically, you're uninformed and not qualified to speak about the subject.
If you reread my first post you will surely notice that when I commented on Caldwell's difficulty it was in relation to other institutions. In fact, I believe I directly compared Caldwell to Appalachian and quickly referenced the seven-point grading scale as evidence. I know you're not a Harvard graduate, but surely you do recognize an ad hominem argument, don't you?

I assumed that the dropout rate is high for the purposes the argument. Moreover, I made it quite clear that I was assuming such. In doing so, arguing a causal error was the most obvious. You argued the chicken, so I chose the egg. Sure, I may not be qualified to speak on this particular topic, but I did qualify my assumption, where I then offered at least some sort of evidence, although admittedly anecdotal, to support my assertion. As such, my previous statements are no less valid because my argument was based on a fact I assumed as true, especially when you provided that fact. If you would prefer that I assume that everything you say is a lie, I can.

I will agree that advising at Caldwell is a huge headache on most occasions. But, I can sadly assure you that it's the easiest of all the other institutions that I've attended. However, I do realize that this is based soley on my experience alone, as your experience may have varied. Regardless, I highly doubt that poor advising leads to dropout. "I don't know what classes I need next year, so I think I'll just quit school," sounds like a pretty poor excuse for dropping out. Like I said in my first post, people need to be adults. All they need to do is look at their check sheet, cross out the classes they've taken, then register for the ones they haven't. It doesn't take a Harvard graduate to figure this stuff out.

The professors at Caldwell are far, far more accessible than those at other institutions. It's far easier to get help from a professor who has 40 students than one who as 300 across all sections. I think that's kind of obvious. Sure, some professors aren't as helpful as others, but their job isn't to do the students' work for them. Again, be an adult and figure it out. It isn't that hard. I mean it's not Harvard, so who would need any extra help anyway, right?
Miranda

Wilmington, NC

#6 Jan 5, 2013
"The high dropout rate that Bob mentioned is nothing more than a causal error. The dropout rates are high (assuming Bob is correct) because of the students, not because of the school."

So, your first sentence makes it sound like you acknowledge that there is a high dropout rate. In your second sentence, you first say they are high, then blame it on the students, and not the school, even though it's only based on your assumption.

When you try to make excuses for something, and you're only "assuming it's true", just makes you look like a fool.
Search for the answers

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jan 5, 2013
Not quite. Would it be foolish to assume the crime rates were higher in 2012 than in 2011 based on what someone said, then argue what I believed the cause to be? What if I assumed that scientists are correct about global warming then used that fact to argue why global warming is occurring? My assumption was the validity of the fact, not the cause.
seriously

Todd, NC

#8 Jan 5, 2013
wow "search for answers" you're a trip. first and foremost, saying that i'm not an adult by asking a question on topix makes you quite the hypocrite, with all your degrees under your belt i guess you have spare time to browse boone topix. i am using it as a valuable resource as i just moved here from another state, and need local information. as far as research goes, i've more than done my own, esentially this is searching for answers.

my own personal experiences at caldwell thus far:

1. asked if a certain program of study was offered at the watauga campus, counselor said "yes" and put me in the system as being in said program. they have my program awesome! i thought, so i signed a lease and moved to town. i go to registration, woops sorry that's only offered in hudson.. but damn i just signed a lease, oh well guess i will just have to change my program of study because of someone who was supposed to be a leader's mistake.

2. was told to register for X course, went to register for X course, and it said that my prereqs were not met for X course, when in reality i was told my same counselor that my courses that had transfered in from another instituion so i thought all was taken care of. my transcripts arrived in early Nov, registration (final) was two days ago, that is when they were sent for evaluation, explain that one.

3. inappropriate comments from one male staff member

4.was denied in-state tuition by the same counselor as mentioned above, called her superior in hudson to question her decision, and guess what? i got in state tuition. aka she didn't do her job properly.

i was questioning the office staff/counselors as you can clearly see. i did not challenge the cirriculum but i can say that it is more simple than ASU or CCTI would not be a "stepping stone" per your words.

i posted this ad to get advice/ hear about other peoples similar experiences, not hear someone like you sit around and toot their own horn, because if you get your self gratification from "winning an argument" on boone topix, then you are truly in desperate need of your degrees because you clearly lack a true social life.

BOB & Miranda- yess!! exactly
Miranda

Wilmington, NC

#9 Jan 5, 2013
Search for the answers wrote:
Not quite. Would it be foolish to assume the crime rates were higher in 2012 than in 2011 based on what someone said, then argue what I believed the cause to be? What if I assumed that scientists are correct about global warming then used that fact to argue why global warming is occurring? My assumption was the validity of the fact, not the cause.
Yeah, it would be foolish for to assume such things. If Joe Blow off the street walks up to you and says the crime rate is lower or higher, you're just going to believe him because he said so? And believing scientists about global warming is completely different, because they back up their claims.

Don't (ass)(u)(me) things, because it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".
Charles

Sparta, NC

#10 Jan 5, 2013
Dummies. You don't understand. Caldwell is a dumping ground for people who cannot get a job at ASU, have a connected spouse or get their job because their family gives soemthing such as land to the college.
Boonited

Boone, NC

#11 Jan 5, 2013
How did you get in-state tuition if, as you said above, you "just" moved here from another state?
seriously

Boone, NC

#12 Jan 5, 2013
just discharged from the military and was stationed in another state, and moved to NC within 30 days of discharge, therefore allowing me to get in state tuition, it required a lot of research on behalf of the staff in Hudson and they more than did their job which i am ever greatful for
Really

Sugar Grove, NC

#13 Jan 11, 2013
seriously wrote:
just discharged from the military and was stationed in another state, and moved to NC within 30 days of discharge, therefore allowing me to get in state tuition, it required a lot of research on behalf of the staff in Hudson and they more than did their job which i am ever greatful for
So the staff "more than did their job" and you saved a bunch of money. So why do you start off complaining in your first post? Sounds like you are a disgruntled student living off of the taxpayer. I bet you get Pell too.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#14 Jan 12, 2013
Seriously was complaining about the Watauga staff, and complimenting the Caldwell staff. And determining residency is a big deal if you're using the GI Bill.
seriously

Boone, NC

#15 Jan 14, 2013
thanks bob

really, you really need to learn how to read. as i previously stated the staff here in boone at the watagua campus is where my issue lies, not the one in hudson. the one in hudson helped me, but if you're as clueless as you sound you didn't know that there are two different campuses. living off of the tax payer? i am the tax payer so in essence yes i am living off of myself, thanks for gracing us with your overly intelligent presence.not.
Really

Sugar Grove, NC

#16 Jan 14, 2013
seriously wrote:
thanks bob
really, you really need to learn how to read. as i previously stated the staff here in boone at the watagua campus is where my issue lies, not the one in hudson. the one in hudson helped me, but if you're as clueless as you sound you didn't know that there are two different campuses. living off of the tax payer? i am the tax payer so in essence yes i am living off of myself, thanks for gracing us with your overly intelligent presence.not.
You and Bob can buddy hug all you want but I doubt that either one of you really contributes much to the tax base. If you get Pell for even one semester it's more than you'll pay in taxes in three years. If not then you don't deserve Pell. So you saying you pay yourself is a joke. I don't pretend to be "overly intelligent" but I don't have to be to see through your entitlement intellect.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#17 Jan 14, 2013
Where did he say he gets Pell? He's probably using his GI Bill. I guess you think that's something he doesn't deserve either?
Really

Sugar Grove, NC

#18 Jan 14, 2013
Bob wrote:
Where did he say he gets Pell? He's probably using his GI Bill. I guess you think that's something he doesn't deserve either?
No, Bob. If he's using a GI bill I'm sure he earned it. My impression is that he is not a veteran. My gripe is with people that receive entitlements and then continue to complain that they deserve more as well as complain about those that try their best to serve them.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#19 Jan 15, 2013
His post dated the 5th states that he was in the military. And he was only complaining about the service at the Watauga campus, not about any financial aid he is receiving. And the staff at CCCTI does little to help the students, IMHO.
seriously

Boone, NC

#20 Jan 16, 2013
#1. i do not recieve pell "really" so you can get off of your high horse. you have to pay taxes its called being an adult and yes there will always be people who live off of the government and no there is nothing you can do about it. no i don't think those people are in the right either but like i said there's nothing i can do about it and neither can you so stop complaining and futher more assuming.

#2.i do get the gi bill, however because of the high volume of veterans it takes quite some time to get the money for school. i had to pay for all of my classes and my books out of MY POCKET and probably won't recieve the compensation from the GI Bill until early to mid march..ipso facto i'm broke right now

#3. i am a combat veteran, medically retired and that's all of the detail you deserve to know about it.

#4. so yes I DO pay myself, and I also helped to pay for YOUR freedom

#5. you need a serious reality check

#6. thanks for the permission but I will continue to buddy with BOB because he is the only one on this entire forum that can actually read

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Durham Murders (Aug '10) 12 hr psycic19 39
The old Golden Corral Building? 14 hr dosamigosbyebye 2
Can you stay at the hospitality house 14 hr V L Lawrence 5
narc (May '11) 15 hr oopsy 49
Boone teen accused of sexual exploitation of a ... Wed Sweepyface 4
Police: Appalachian State student found dead Nov 20 Joe 1
Mallatere pleads not guilty to charges (Jan '14) Nov 20 John 18
Todd Dating
Find my Match

Todd People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Todd News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Todd

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:16 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:16PM
In Vikings vs. Panthers, Munnerlyn will be 'edgy' - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:00 PM
Ryan Kalil says his brother's hat-flick was all his fault
Bleacher Report 2:29 PM
Bold Predictions for Vikings' Week 13 Matchup
Bleacher Report10:08 PM
Breaking Down Minnesota's Game Plan vs. Carolina
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
NFL Week 13 Picks: Final Predictions and Over-Under Odds Before Thursday Night