Walgreens denied King St. permit

Walgreens denied King St. permit

There are 58 comments on the Watauga Democrat story from May 2, 2013, titled Walgreens denied King St. permit. In it, Watauga Democrat reports that:

A permit to build a Walgreens on King Street was denied by the Boone Board of Adjustment following a four-hour hearing Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watauga Democrat.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bob

Boone, NC

#1 May 3, 2013
Whew! That would have been a mess.
Boone Concerned Citizen

Boone, NC

#2 May 3, 2013
How so?
Bob

Boone, NC

#3 May 3, 2013
Just imagine the extra traffic it would create right there. People entering or exiting would jam up that intersection.

Since: Jan 13

Boone, NC

#4 May 3, 2013
So the Town just allows in what they want in and thats pretty much it? Something needs to change behing their closed doors and sooner the better. They can set the tax rate the owner of the property has to pay for his dewlling but he cannot sell his property to who he wats to without the band of idiots approval.If the Town doesnt approve it then they should have to purchase it from the owner. Oh thats right, they cant buy it because they are short 2 mil in County tax money. All because the Town would not allow the meeting to happen behind closed doors in a private meeting. That's status quo for the Town, they have closed door meeting all the time, and why? Don't forget who elected you and who you really work for. There is only one reason they wanted it held behind closed doors and thats because they are hiding something. The Town Management needs to step in and take the Town back from the Council before it's too late. This Town is not being ran the way the citizenns do, its ran the way the Council Members want to do it. I feel like the Council Members owe the citizens an explaination as to whats going on. All I can say is "Give'em Hell Dale"
Boone Concerned Citizen

Boone, NC

#5 May 4, 2013
Bob wrote:
Just imagine the extra traffic it would create right there. People entering or exiting would jam up that intersection.
Stan, I mean Bob (wink wink), I am going to give you a mulligan on that one. It will be your last. Please think before you type because in this very forum I intend to explain to you like you are a slow reading 3rd grader exactly why Dale and Walgreens should sue the TOB and its current council members all the way back to the unreal, liberal, and idealist land from whence the came.

In my opinion this is exactly what the town residents need to pay attention to. It has all the elements of why most on th TOB council needs to relieved of their duties in the upcoming elections.

Thank God Loretta is quitting, thats a great start.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Aside from the 20 or so cars per hour that would actually drive to that Walgreens (that is taking into account the literally thousands of cars that currently pass by them thru that intersection on any given day) how is that relevant?

Now please, take your mulligan and begin again.

Oh, and roll your windows up and get an umbrella sir because I have a feeling that the truth and the facts are going to start literally raining down on you.

Bob

Boone, NC

#6 May 4, 2013
Any new business in that particular location will increase traffic congestion at that intersection. You'll have some idiot hold up traffic while trying to turn into their parking lot. Just look how hard it is to get in and out of EarthFare. Keep your mulligan. You obviously need it.

Since: Jan 13

Boone, NC

#7 May 4, 2013
I thought thats what everyone wanted was a thriving economy. The traffic problem is having 3 lanes of traffic coming into Boone and all going to the same single lane at the Dan'l Boone Inn intersection with no bypass around Boone. Think about it.Hell even West Jefferson has a bypass, but not Boone.
Bob

Boone, NC

#8 May 4, 2013
The road layout is a huge problem. A bypass is a wonderful solution, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. A Walgreens would do just as much business out by Advance Auto on 421, or maybe even out towards the Quality Plus in Vilas. These developers should realize the potential of the land further out in the county, instead of just focusing their efforts in town limits.
The crazzzzzzzzzzzie s

Sugar Grove, NC

#9 May 5, 2013
They want to put there because it would be close to app. You think the developers here give a crap about local people ? No they just want more junk for rich students to waste money on.
Boone Concerned Citizen

Boone, NC

#10 May 5, 2013
So Bob, I gather by your statements that you support urban sprawl?
And exactly who has a hard time getting to Earth Fare? Most of its customers, much like the proposed Walgreens, would/do walk to the store. By its very location it would be exactly what this town council has said it wants, ie. business in the business corridors fronted to the road with parking in the rear.
As far as the traffic at that intersection I would think that a traffic circle at that location would be perfect for now, or whatever eventually happens there. Either way Bob, try thinking further than your nose.
Urban Sprawl Bob. Think about what that means and its actual implications. There will be a test next time we talk.
We are going to talk facts Bob, not speculation and idealistic horseshit.
Now please start again and tell me exactly why a Walgreens at that particular intersection would be a mess.
Please take a moment to think before you type this time Bob. Waiting a moment for someones mother to turn into Earth Fare for some milk and bread to feed her hungry kids isn't a reason. Its an excuse and I am here to stop all the excuses.
So please, begin again now.
Why would it be a mess?
jamie

Fayetteville, NC

#11 May 5, 2013
Its been denied already so stfu. A lot of locals didn't want it and it just doesn't fit there anyway. Done deal. Stop arguing.
James

Boone, NC

#12 May 5, 2013
Boone Concerned Citizen wrote:
And exactly who has a hard time getting to Earth Fare? Most of its customers, much like the proposed Walgreens, would/do walk to the store. By its very location it would be exactly what this town council has said it wants, ie. business in the business corridors fronted to the road with parking in the rear.
As far as the traffic at that intersection I would think that a traffic circle at that location would be perfect for now, or whatever eventually happens there. Either way Bob, try thinking further than your nose.
Urban Sprawl Bob. Think about what that means and its actual implications. There will be a test next time we talk.
Now please start again and tell me exactly why a Walgreens at that particular intersection would be a mess.
Please take a moment to think before you type this time Bob. Waiting a moment for someones mother to turn into Earth Fare for some milk and bread to feed her hungry kids isn't a reason. Its an excuse and I am here to stop all the excuses.
Why would it be a mess?
Are you retarded?
jo_lynn

Boone, NC

#13 May 5, 2013
im so glad because we need localer businesses and the property owner should know better to know than to try an sell to someone like a corporation like walgreens

its not his decision to decide what we have to have in our downtown
Bob

Boone, NC

#14 May 6, 2013
Why would it be a mess?
I'm not going to change my opinion on the subject no matter how many times you "tell" me to start over. And you keep talking facts, yet you haven't pointed to a single fact once. You just keep giving your opinion and try to pass it as some sort of fact.
Boone Concerned Citizen

Lenoir, NC

#15 May 6, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to change my opinion on the subject no matter how many times you "tell" me to start over. And you keep talking facts, yet you haven't pointed to a single fact once. You just keep giving your opinion and try to pass it as some sort of fact.
OK, lets just start there Bob. You say I have not given a single fact, but I disagree. Anyone paying attention would surely say it is you who has presented only conjecture and liberal talking points with no facts nor merit to any of the things you present here as truths. You say what a mess because the traffic situation would be with cars trying to get into and out of the proposed site. What proof do you have of this? I know for a fact that over 70% of the customers at Earth Fare come on foot. Why would you think the Walgreens would be any different? Are they serving a different demographic? Would the rest of Watauga residents drive past the other Walgreens and CVS's and Boone Drugs just to be able to park in the new Walgreens parking lot and "mess up traffic" as you claim. I think not.
Then you claim I present no facts,,,,,,,shame on you bob. I asked you to think before you typed, but alas you just spew liberal talking points and conjecture with no facts.
Some of the facts I have presented are that the vast majority of customers to the Earth Fare walk to the store. It would no doubt be the same for the Walgreens.
I say as fact that the town council made plans during the charretts (yes, the very study the council ordered and we paid thousands and thousands of dollars for) to encourage businesses to locate on the business corridors of town and to move the buildings up to the road with parking in the rear. You and the town council scoff at the results of the study and laughingly enough the town council even disregards their own recommendations.
Now please Bob, think before you type and begin again. I wait with baited breath.
Facts Bob, I intend to choke you on them.
Bob

Boone, NC

#16 May 6, 2013
HA! The only one choking here is you choking on your own bullshit. Do most customers walk to EarthFare? Possibly, but you haven't provides any proof of it. Therefore, it is not a fact. Because one business has most of it's customers oh foot does not mean another business next door would attract those same customers. Again, not a fact.
I guess you didn't take into consideration that Walgreens would have a drive-thru. To the best of my knowledge, EarthFare does not have a drive-thru. People won't walk through a drive-theu, so that means more cars.
So, please provide facts with your argument. You're only making yourself look like an ass.
Paula

Boone, NC

#17 May 6, 2013
<quoted text>
OK, lets just start there Bob. You say I have not given a single fact, but I disagree. Anyone paying attention would surely say it is you who has presented only conjecture and liberal talking points with no facts nor merit to any of the things you present here as truths. You say what a mess because the traffic situation would be with cars trying to get into and out of the proposed site. What proof do you have of this? I know for a fact that over 70% of the customers at Earth Fare come on foot. Why would you think the Walgreens would be any different? Are they serving a different demographic? Would the rest of Watauga residents drive past the other Walgreens and CVS's and Boone Drugs just to be able to park in the new Walgreens parking lot and "mess up traffic" as you claim. I think not.
Then you claim I present no facts,,,,,,,shame on you bob. I asked you to think before you typed, but alas you just spew liberal talking points and conjecture with no facts.
Some of the facts I have presented are that the vast majority of customers to the Earth Fare walk to the store. It would no doubt be the same for the Walgreens.
I say as fact that the town council made plans during the charretts (yes, the very study the council ordered and we paid thousands and thousands of dollars for) to encourage businesses to locate on the business corridors of town and to move the buildings up to the road with parking in the rear. You and the town council scoff at the results of the study and laughingly enough the town council even disregards their own recommendations.
Now please Bob, think before you type and begin again. I wait with baited breath.
Facts Bob, I intend to choke you on them.
I've never seen anybody be so persistently wrong, while actually believing they are right. Nobody came out in favor of putting a Walgreens there. Looks to me like you know you're wrong, but just trying to pick a fight.
Boone Concerned Citizen

Lenoir, NC

#18 May 6, 2013
Paula wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen anybody be so persistently wrong, while actually believing they are right. Nobody came out in favor of putting a Walgreens there. Looks to me like you know you're wrong, but just trying to pick a fight.
Well, nobody except the guy who has owned it and has paid taxes on it for several decades.
All I saw were ASU liberal tie-dies, granola munching tree huggers, and many many others who screech like small children when they think they have been wronged.
What if that was your property, would you want your million dollar piece of property that you worked for all your life, ie. the bulk of your retirement to be taken away by the whims of children?
Lets get real here. At least be honest with yourselves.
Boone Concerned Citizen

Lenoir, NC

#19 May 6, 2013
Where are you facts Boob? If you ever shopped at Earth Fare you would know that most of the traffic is walk in. Just ask the store employees or the manager, which I have done by the way. This is fact.

And as the Walgreens was proposed the drive thru would enter and exit off the back street letting the traffic bleed in at the light. Again this is a fact and again you refuse to see the truth in your quest to stop the evil corporations in their quest to dominate downtown boone.

What a joke you are sir. Like I asked, at least be honest with yourself and stop pulling excuses out of your ass. I told you , the excuses stop here.

Now can you give me a valid reason you have such selective moral outrage towards Walgreens and none of the other stores on most any other corner in boone.

With that being said, dont lose site of the forest because of all the trees.

This isn't really a plea to let Walgreens on greasy corner, it is a plea to look at the town council and their liberal idealistic quest to controll commerce in the town of Boone while ignoring the very rules they made for the rest of us to follow.

Now Bob, pull your head out of your ass and begin again, this time using facts and common sense.

I in the meantime will continue to beat you over the head with these same facts you refuse to acknowledge.

Truth Bob. Thats what we need here.
Bob

Boone, NC

#20 May 6, 2013
Where are you facts Boob? If you ever shopped at Earth Fare you would know that most of the traffic is walk in. Just ask the store employees or the manager, which I have done by the way. This is fact.
And as the Walgreens was proposed the drive thru would enter and exit off the back street letting the traffic bleed in at the light. Again this is a fact and again you refuse to see the truth in your quest to stop the evil corporations in their quest to dominate downtown boone.
What a joke you are sir. Like I asked, at least be honest with yourself and stop pulling excuses out of your ass. I told you , the excuses stop here.
Now can you give me a valid reason you have such selective moral outrage towards Walgreens and none of the other stores on most any other corner in boone.
With that being said, dont lose site of the forest because of all the trees.
This isn't really a plea to let Walgreens on greasy corner, it is a plea to look at the town council and their liberal idealistic quest to controll commerce in the town of Boone while ignoring the very rules they made for the rest of us to follow.
Now Bob, pull your head out of your ass and begin again, this time using facts and common sense.
I in the meantime will continue to beat you over the head with these same facts you refuse to acknowledge.
Truth Bob. Thats what we need here.
Still, no facts have been provided. But, I'm tired of constantly proving you wrong, so I'll let you consider this a win. Now go back to your dead end job at the Kangaroo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Ridge Diner (Apr '16) Fri Owen 13
How to Avoid a Prostitution Sting for Guys (Jan '16) Jan 18 Pure Panty League 25
Corrupt Deputy Jan 16 Bob 8
Alerto Gorez and "Global Cooling" Jan 6 Anti Liberal 1
News Council OKs request for new $12M intake loan; t... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Sandra 1
Lemon vid (May '12) Dec '13 James Heafner 2
News Once homeless, Latina reaches out to Charlotte'... (Aug '13) Aug '13 SherlockHolmes 1

Todd Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Todd Mortgages