Job losses mount across mountains

Job losses mount across mountains

There are 34 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 15, 2009, titled Job losses mount across mountains. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

BOONE Western North Carolina continued its economic slide in November, according to a report released Thursday by economists with Appalachian State University.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Live to Ride, Ride to Live”

Since: Jan 09

Western North Carolina

#21 Jan 16, 2009
mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even Goggle is laying off. Where I work things are very slow.
My husband's national employer laid off 150 this week.

They laid off the higher ups (the person who oversees human resources, and very top management).

They stated they would save $15 billion dollars a quarter by laying off the employees.

They called the layoff "trimming the fat".

Business is slow for everyone!
Mountain Gal

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Jan 16, 2009
My company laid of 6 people in June last year. Then on December 31st they announced to everyone left that they were reducing our pay by 20%. We aren't high wage earners anyway, so these cuts go very deep. Management says it will keep these pay cuts in effect for 90 days and then "see what happens." The problem is: those in the know say the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. That means, our doors may get shuttered in 90 days too. In addition to reduced pay cuts, the company has turned lights off all over the building and reduced the heat to a level so cold we have to wear coats and gloves in the office.

Think about it: Pay cuts do not show up in unemployment statistics. But I'm sure my company is not the only one that's cut folks' pay. Before long, these pay cuts will ripple through our local economy because people don't have any discretionary income left.

Also, if the doors get shuttered in 90 days and we're all sent out on the streets to collect unemployment, our compensation will be based on the LOWER pay that we made at the time they cut our salaries, rather than the real pay that we've been making for years. There is nothing fair about any of it!!!!!!
Sam Walton

Asheville, NC

#23 Jan 16, 2009
H_D_Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband's national employer laid off 150 this week.
They laid off the higher ups (the person who oversees human resources, and very top management).
They stated they would save $15 billion dollars a quarter by laying off the employees.
They called the layoff "trimming the fat".
Business is slow for everyone!
business is fine, at your local walmart.

“Live to Ride, Ride to Live”

Since: Jan 09

Western North Carolina

#24 Jan 16, 2009
Sam Walton wrote:
<quoted text>
business is fine, at your local walmart.
Maybe because they don't pay high wages to begin with?

Since: May 07

Manteo, NC

#25 Jan 16, 2009
Mountain Gal wrote:
My company laid of 6 people in June last year. Then on December 31st they announced to everyone left that they were reducing our pay by 20%. We aren't high wage earners anyway, so these cuts go very deep. Management says it will keep these pay cuts in effect for 90 days and then "see what happens." The problem is: those in the know say the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. That means, our doors may get shuttered in 90 days too. In addition to reduced pay cuts, the company has turned lights off all over the building and reduced the heat to a level so cold we have to wear coats and gloves in the office.
Think about it: Pay cuts do not show up in unemployment statistics. But I'm sure my company is not the only one that's cut folks' pay. Before long, these pay cuts will ripple through our local economy because people don't have any discretionary income left.
Also, if the doors get shuttered in 90 days and we're all sent out on the streets to collect unemployment, our compensation will be based on the LOWER pay that we made at the time they cut our salaries, rather than the real pay that we've been making for years. There is nothing fair about any of it!!!!!!
That's rough. Twenty percent is a lot. For the first time in my life, I am worried about my job. I just worry that things will get a lot worse before they get better. Scary times. Are you gonna try to find another job or just wait and see what happens? How long have you worked there?

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#26 Jan 16, 2009
I have applied as a greeter at Wal-Mart. I hope I get the job.

“Live to Ride, Ride to Live”

Since: Jan 09

Western North Carolina

#27 Jan 16, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
I have applied as a greeter at Wal-Mart. I hope I get the job.
NAH! You aren't old enough!

Probably over qualified too....lol
yeah right

Greenville, NC

#28 Jan 16, 2009
how many of you out of work complainers have contacted a major retailer demanding they give you the choice of american made goods.

Since: May 07

Manteo, NC

#29 Jan 16, 2009
yeah right wrote:
how many of you out of work complainers have contacted a major retailer demanding they give you the choice of american made goods.
Can we afford American made goods? Most people buy what they can afford. Sometimes I can only afford foreign-produced items.
Buncy da Baptist

Greer, SC

#30 Jan 16, 2009
This country is hemorrhaging from head to toe. Makes you wonder how much more bleeding it can take.

I was just in a shop in Rutherfordton and the employees were discussing how close they were to taking up arms and starting a revolution. One of them was quoting Jefferson on how the tree of freedom needed fertilizing from time to time with the blood of tyrants. I asked him who the tyrants were. Politicians, bankers, judges, tax collectors, and all the public officials, he said.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#31 Jan 16, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
I have applied as a greeter at Wal-Mart. I hope I get the job.
WalMart isn't hiring either, Sarge.
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#32 Jan 16, 2009
Talked to a guy that works at Wal Mart. He said they had made him part-time vs. full time. He said they were not supposed to be able to do that just reduce hours down to 34. He is now working part-time at Burger King and Wal Mart. He said that several other full time employees were done the same. That Reaganomics, globalism, American Union plan is working well, lots of low wage, part-time jobs with no benefits, just like in Mexico.

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#33 Jan 16, 2009
H_D_Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
NAH! You aren't old enough!
Probably over qualified too....lol
I applied about 2 months ago and not heard from them. Guess they don't have any openings yet.
yeah right

Greenville, NC

#34 Jan 17, 2009
mic 9852 you may not not be able to afford american made goods but many people still can. They however are not offered the choice because FATCAT CEO's can pocket more money selling goods made in filthy factories by chinese slave labor. Whether you can afford them or not you should still demand retailers offer the choice of american made goods. If enough jobs come back maybe you will be able to afford them one day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shooting thread disappears 10 hr Usualreason 5
Is Sarabella Finally Gone On Vacation Jul 25 Dr feel good 6
Review: Hedrick Kepley Attorneys (Dec '14) Jul 23 florence 185
Angie Auton Miller???? (Jul '09) Jul 23 dosevsdoes 11
michael laird Jul 22 hmm-5 1
Kratom now avalible locally (Apr '11) Jul 22 Shap 15
Dr Rountree at High Country Community Clinic Re... Jul 14 Mountain Revival 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Todd Mortgages