Hotel owner Ashok Patel dies

Jan 10, 2013 Full story: Watauga Democrat 40

Patel was a native of Loughborough, England, and graduated from the Royal College of Science with a bachelor's degree in mathematics, according to The Mountain Times archives.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vijay Laxman from UK

London, UK

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Shocked to hear the tragic news that Ashok Patel (originally from Leicester UK) has left this world, Ashok was a great man, he was inspirational and a fantastic roll model. I just wish we could of spent more time together. Your legacy will live on...
Rest in peace big brother!

Vijay Laxman
From Leicester United Kingdom
Pepper

Lenoir, NC

#2 Jan 17, 2013
His legacy is rat bag hotels all over town that need to be torn down. Not only are they an eyesore, they attract vagrants/rats.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#3 Jan 17, 2013
Pepper, that's not completely true. He bought a couple rat bags to try and turn them around, but he couldn't. The number of nice hotels he ran outnumbered the rat bags.
Bulldozer

Charlotte, NC

#5 Jan 19, 2013
There are a couple places that should be leveled still.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#6 Jan 19, 2013
Agreed. Hopefully with his passing, his estate will make better business decisions.
Another Boone Resident

Boone, NC

#10 Jan 24, 2013
Most of his properties are average to quite nice. From Hampton Inn (average) to Marriott(quite nice). He owned a couple that are eye sores and I think he was trying to find a buyer for those.

It is interesting that he controlled just about the entire market in Boone and seems to have overbuilt it.

I can't speak to what he was like as a person or businessman or how he died.
Pepper

Lenoir, NC

#11 Jan 24, 2013
It's always funny how when someone dies, no matter how low down and skeevey they were in life, everyone acts like the were the second coming.
I guess Noah Cross was right, "politcians, w/hores and ugly buildings all get respect if they last long enough".
High Country Lover

Boone, NC

#12 Jan 26, 2013
Another Boone Resident wrote:
Most of his properties are average to quite nice. From Hampton Inn (average) to Marriott(quite nice). He owned a couple that are eye sores and I think he was trying to find a buyer for those.
It is interesting that he controlled just about the entire market in Boone and seems to have overbuilt it.
I can't speak to what he was like as a person or businessman or how he died.
Actually, Mr Patel does not own the Hampton Inn or the Marriott. He never did.
High Country Lover

Boone, NC

#13 Jan 26, 2013
Bob wrote:
Pepper, that's not completely true. He bought a couple rat bags to try and turn them around, but he couldn't. The number of nice hotels he ran outnumbered the rat bags.
If you used your brain and ears more, and your mouth and keyboard less no one would know just exactly how misinformed you are.
Dan Kaple

Montgomery, AL

#16 Jan 28, 2013
I worked for Ashok for a year after I finished school. I found him to be an honest, straight forward and decent man. It's very sad to hear of his death.
Hundreds of employees

Montgomery, AL

#17 Jan 28, 2013
Mr Patel helped us when we needed help, gave us jobs, helped us buy cars, genuinely cared for us and our families. He was a very good man and doesn't deserve the heartless words that some have spoken. He was special to us, his employees, and we will miss him and his caring heart. May he rest in peace.
sure thing

Hickory, NC

#18 Jan 30, 2013
High Country Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Ashok did own the Hamption Inn, not the Marriott. He ownes the La Quinta, Sleep Inn, Best Western, Country Inn and Suites, Red Carpet, Scotchman Inn, Super 8, and a hand full of the smaller hotels that remain around town that have only about 10-15 rooms, like the one by Fun 'N Wheels.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#19 Jan 30, 2013
Let's face it. Mr. Patel did more good than bad in this town. He did own a couple of rat bags, but the were rat bags Long before he acquired them.
Boone Daughter

Burgaw, NC

#20 Jan 31, 2013
I pity those who come on this thread (with little to no personal knowledge I imagine of Ashok)only to speak badly of a dead man. Suicide is a terrible way out but it speaks only to the state of mind he was in at the time, that tragic choice was not the entirety of his life. Yes he owned The Quality Inn, Super 8, Hampton, la quinta, Sleep Inn etc. Does it really matter that he owned two older hotels? He helped the community a great deal, worked with Special Olympics and he was a fair and helpful employer- bringing many jobs to Watauga County. A father, husband, friend, and brother is gone. He was far from perfect, but so are most people. You're a hateful wretch if you go online to speak badly of someone who can't defend himself. His family is still here to read those words and they're going through quite enough. They're the only ones these posts hurt. Think on that.
Boone Daughter

Burgaw, NC

#21 Jan 31, 2013
High Country Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm unsure of its standing at the time of his death- but yes he certainly did own The Hampton. He opened it.
Mary Ann

Loganville, GA

#22 Jan 31, 2013
Ashok, was a wonderful human being.
Those who speak bad about him did not
know him. He was humble, caring and
always wanted the best for everyone he
met.
Ashok Patel was my son-in- law.
We will miss him dearly.
Lawrence

Ashburn, VA

#23 Jan 31, 2013
I am lawrence from Australia i was crushed when my lover of 2 years left me to be with another man. I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help. I threw away so much money - all for nothing - until I hit on the real thing. And that is dr sam . You were different from all the rest - you are the diamond in the rough. Thank you from the depths of my soul! I am extremely happy now. I hope God blessess you as much as He has blessed me dr sam you are God sent i must say. i will recommend you to the whole world if i can dr sam ,if you need help contact him on drsamkoko@gmail .com,
lawrence
Mike

Dacula, GA

#24 Jan 31, 2013
It's interesting that those who neither knew Ashok nor the facts of his life are first to make comments. It's also disturbing to consider that there are people out there who will take the time to type out hateful words about someone who has passed, realizing that loved ones will likely read those hateful words.
Bill

Boone, NC

#25 Jan 31, 2013
I met him a few time and he was a really nice person. So how did he die?
Joseph

Sparta, NC

#26 Feb 1, 2013
I have heard that he killed himself has anyone else heard this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Really?? 20 min uwsdwf 1
Review: Kepley Michael P Attorney 4 hr Joe 6
Has Anybody hired Vaughn Investigations (Dec '08) 4 hr paul blart- mall cop 25
Police: Teen lured 5-year-old girl into bathroo... 6 hr Freddy 4
sharing tree Sun juschecking 1
betty austin Sun Enemy 69
We're thinking about moving to Boone N.C Dec 20 Cheryl 4
Todd Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web