Jobless rates spike in WNC

Jobless rates spike in WNC

There are 13 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 6, 2009, titled Jobless rates spike in WNC. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

ASHEVILLE Western North Carolina's jobs situation deteriorated significantly in November, according to state figures released Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#1 Jan 7, 2009
Man, my job ain't the greatest paying in the state but at least I ain't hurting. Feel for the unemployed peeps. Been there. When the Body Shop at Deal Motorcars shut down when located on Merrimon Avenue, I lost my home and everything I owned a second time, first time is when the ex ran off with another man. Third time is when I lost my job in Florida an came back home to Asheville. Hope there won't be a fourth. Getting to old for that chit.
The Big Man

United States

#2 Jan 7, 2009
give some money back to the tax payers CHIP
CHARLES EDWARD WOOD (AKA CHIP)Salary $59,263 Job Title EMPLOYMENT SECURITY MANAGER I County CHEROKEE So next time you go see good OL Chip you see he dont give damm if you have a job or not. Give some the money back you stole from the taxpayers
Yep

Asheville, NC

#3 Jan 7, 2009
Wow...we got that 'giant sucking sound' and 'change' bound into a single package! Who knew it would be this much fun to let the demopublicans sell out America? Its plenty of 'progressive' fun, ay? Better learn Chinese.
Jake

Asheville, NC

#4 Jan 7, 2009
The Chamber told us months ago that the WNC economy was immune to any economic downturn. We now know their competency.
patchouli

Maxton, NC

#5 Jan 7, 2009
This news will bring even more hippies.
Toronto Lofts

Patiala, India

#6 Jan 7, 2009
patchouli wrote:
This news will bring even more hippies.
The region’s unemployment rate was 7.2 percent, up from a revised 6 percent in October and dramatically higher than the 3.9 percent 18 WNC counties recorded in November 2007.
The numbers reflect the generally poor health of the local and national economies.
“It just kind of confirms what people were thinking, which is this is a serious situation,” said Todd Cherry, a professor of economics at Appalachian State University.
Jobless rates in WNC typically rise from October to November because of seasonal factors, but increases were much larger than usual this year.
“The labor market is deteriorating fairly dramatically and you just wonder how far it can go,” Cherry said.Three counties in the region had jobless rates greater than 10 percent in November, compared to none in October.http://www.toronto-con dominiums.ca/toronto_lofts.php for more information...
Condominiums Toronto

Patiala, India

#7 Jan 7, 2009
Yep wrote:
Wow...we got that 'giant sucking sound' and 'change' bound into a single package! Who knew it would be this much fun to let the demopublicans sell out America? Its plenty of 'progressive' fun, ay? Better learn Chinese.
Western North Carolina's jobs situation deteriorated significantly in November, according to state figures released Tuesday.

The region's unemployment rate was 7.2 percent, up from a revised 6 percent in October and dramatically higher than the 3.9 percent 18 WNC counties recorded in November 2007.

The numbers reflect the generally poor health of the local and national economies.

“It just kind of confirms what people were thinking, which is this is a serious situation,” said Todd Cherry, a professor of economics at Appalachian State University.

Jobless rates in WNC typically rise from October to November because of seasonal factors, but increases were much larger than usual this year.

“The labor market is deteriorating fairly dramatically and you just wonder how far it can go,” Cherry said.
Three counties in the region had jobless rates greater than 10 percent in November, compared to none in October.
Cherokee County's 12 percent jobless rate was the worst in the region and the third-highest statewide.http://www.toronto-c ondominiums.ca for more details
patchouli

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jan 8, 2009
Toronto Lofts wrote:
<quoted text>The region’s unemployment rate was 7.2 percent, up from a revised 6 percent in October and dramatically higher than the 3.9 percent 18 WNC counties recorded in November 2007.
“The labor market is deteriorating fairly dramatically and you just wonder how far it can go,” Cherry said.Three counties in the region had jobless rates greater than 10 percent in November, compared to none in October.http://www.toronto-con dominiums.ca/toronto_lofts.php for more information...
Really? I was actually just making a play on the joke Why does Oregon have so many hippies? Because there are no jobs in Oregon but whatever.
The Delusional Sheeple

Maxton, NC

#9 Jan 8, 2009
Jake wrote:
The Chamber told us months ago that the WNC economy was immune to any economic downturn. We now know their competency.
They never said that.

Since: Oct 08

Asheville

#10 Jan 8, 2009
The Delusional Sheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They never said that.
Even if they did...who would believe that?
The Big Man

United States

#11 Jan 9, 2009
where is good ole Chip AKA CHARLES EDWARD WOOD lol spending his 60 grand a year salary on the golf corse I guess. You go in his office he dont care if youR out of work lol. he laughs at you and then gets in his big SUV what losers lol I have a good job I suck money from the tax payers. Its time the tax payers know the truth about all the waste and high salery you make
Jake

Asheville, NC

#12 Jan 9, 2009
The Delusional Sheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They never said that.
Oh...it was their guest economist. That gets the Chamber off the hook.

Dont be a spin doctor...hire someone to do it for you.
The Delusional Sheeple

Maxton, NC

#13 Jan 9, 2009
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...it was their guest economist. That gets the Chamber off the hook.
Dont be a spin doctor...hire someone to do it for you.
No, actually he never said it, either. No one said Asheville was "immune" (your word).

I assume you weren't at the presentation. Too bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse Grimes, Convicted Sex Offender Thu Angela 5
Chad, Bradley, and Braxton? (Aug '09) May 24 Anonymous 12
News Newfoundland charity volunteer ousted for pro-g... May 24 Bob 3
News NSTB: Plane destroyed after collision with trees May 23 Bob Is An Idiot 2
Does anyone know Karen Wilson - Mountain City, TN? (Nov '11) May 20 BeSeeingUSoon 9
Blue Ridge Diner May 16 Jax 8
John Anthony Stines (Oct '15) May 11 Laura 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Todd Mortgages