Dutch Creek Trails Horses Dying from ...

Dutch Creek Trails Horses Dying from Starvation?!?!

Posted in the Todd Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

Boone, NC

#1 Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone know anything about this situation? I found the posting online. According to the post 4 horses have died in less than a month, and animal control has been notified about it but has yet to do anything concerning the environment that these horses are in.

http://www.seeclickfix.com/issues/435975

PLEASE HELP.

Since: Jan 13

Boone, NC

#2 Mar 7, 2013
Evidently there is proof that Horse Helpers of the High Country rescued two horses from Dutch Creek. What is going on?? And why is nothing being done about this issue!!
jerry

Boone, NC

#3 Mar 7, 2013
this is terrible!

call samaritans purse the owners love horse i think they can help!
Kathy R

New Philadelphia, OH

#4 Mar 8, 2013
My daughter worked there one summer as a trail guide, and the owner refuses to spend the money to feed the horses well. He uses the money to go on vacation all the time; it's not like he's broke and can't afford to feed them. This isn't the first time horses have died from starvation there. Apparently he's never been cited before because he has friends on the police force.
Bob

Carolina Beach, NC

#5 Mar 8, 2013
I think it's funny how people are calling him out on the Democrat. It doesn't look like he can bullsh%# his way out of this one.
Alice

Boone, NC

#6 Mar 10, 2013
If you want to go on a trail ride, find a trail ride service that actually feeds and cares for their horses. It is way past time for the county to do something about this.
Golly

Charlotte, NC

#7 Mar 13, 2013
Well, please don't crucify me but it is March. Even the best cared for horses are not fat and slick in March. Winter time is hard on any animal. I personally own cattle and, even though they have all the hay they can eat, their ribs and hips are noticable. Once any grazing animal gets back to eating fresh grass, they fatten back up. Grazing animals like fresh grass. Not all of them enjoy eating much of anything else. I can't defend Mr. Ward because I've only been to the trails a few times. However, I do know Anita Gomez and, if she says there is no abuse, I believe her when says that the horses are OK. Also, if a grazing animal has plenty of grass, they do not NEED to be fed in the summer. Overfeeding a horse, especially a workng horse, is not a good thing. I'm not necessarily defending Mr. Ward but anyone who judges him needs to understand that healthy animals get skinny during the winter. Also the horse that died was 20 years old.
Sharon

Honea Path, SC

#8 Mar 13, 2013
Most of my friends have 20 or older horses and they are not skinny even in winter. They are taken care of. It seems Mr. Ward doesn't care after the horse reaches a certain age and its usefulness. Shame on him. Somebody needs to do something. Just because he has strong community ties or people are afraid of him doesn't mean something should not be done.
Mtn Mom

Bostic, NC

#9 Mar 13, 2013
You should see the pictures from "Horse Helpers" of the horses turned over to them from this guys. Winter-time skinny does not describe these animals. I don't know the man or haven't seen the animals, but my goodness, those poor horses were pitiful. I'm not even sure how they were on their feet. I've been around horses all of my life, and I have never seen a horse, 5 years or 25 years with hip bones that visible.
Mtn Mom

Bostic, NC

#10 Mar 13, 2013
Cut the BS

Granite Falls, NC

#11 Mar 13, 2013
Oh bullsh!te Golly, horses do not get that skinny in the winter naturally. They get that way from NOT BEING FED. Putz. I'm pretty sure I saw that brown horse pictured hidden away for a couple of weeks in Zionville.
Wow

Boone, NC

#12 Mar 13, 2013
This guy should be prosecuted for letting there animals get in this condition! He makes a living off these animals, you would think he would feed them for that purpose alone, even if he is a greedy, heartless man. I hope all the attention this case is getting leaves the sheriffs dept with no choice but to charge him, I hope he has to pay some heavy fines also. That may put a damper on his vacations!
Horse Lover Forever

Banner Elk, NC

#13 Mar 13, 2013
Our family have had horses for years. In the winter they gained weight. We cared for them like family. They got grain twice a day and all the hay they could eat. They are groomed (brushed, shoes,and worming). What is happening to those horses in Dutch Creek is wrong. Someone needs to take them away from Mr. Ward. Why don't they give him one piece of bread a day and see if he gets hungry. One round bale of hay for twenty plus horses a day is not enough hay, and they need grain at least two scoops a day. It is not natural for a horse to be skinny!!!! If those horses are as poor as they are now when they get on green grass this spring will probably founder. Someone must step in!
nightflies

Barrington, NH

#14 Mar 14, 2013
Cut the BS wrote:
Oh bullsh!te Golly, horses do not get that skinny in the winter naturally. They get that way from NOT BEING FED. Putz. I'm pretty sure I saw that brown horse pictured hidden away for a couple of weeks in Zionville.
I agree. We worked horses and mules for a living hauling lumber from the woods and our animals NEVER had ribs or hips showing!!! They saw a ferrier as needed and more if necessary, as well as a vet! this guy is a complete ass and has the dollar sign fueling his life. He needs to bo out of business and in jail... don't care if law enforcement find him to upstanding or not. People hide their dark sides all the time.
Joe

Carolina Beach, NC

#15 Mar 14, 2013
What more can be done? Animal Control went to every property he has and found no signs of abuse or mistreatment. Maybe he has changed since he surrendered those 2 horses in the past. Critters die. It happens. I had 2 dogs die within 2 weeks. It doesn't mean I mistreat them.
Mtn Mom

Bostic, NC

#16 Mar 14, 2013
Doesn't mean it was simply a coincidence either....

We all know it. The system fails sometimes, even at its best. Maybe he will shape up since he's been called out, even if authorities can't do anything.
Joe

Carolina Beach, NC

#17 Mar 14, 2013
Just keep an eye on him. If he continues to abuse and mistreat his animals, they will all be taken away.
Horse Lover Forever

Banner Elk, NC

#18 Mar 15, 2013
Has anyone ever wondered why he is not on the local police dept. anymore??? Just cause you once was a law man doesn't mean you have any kind of pull. Just saying... Animal control should see the horses in the summer when they are over worked, under fed, and not properly taken care of.
Alice

Boone, NC

#19 Mar 27, 2013
Boone is in a spring snowstorm right now. a neighbor reported to Animal Control that the large herd of Dutch Creek Trail horses were given 2 round bales of hay the day before yesterday. only. that's it. no shelter for these horses either. This place needs to either quit neglecting their "bread and butter" work horses or get out of business. Animal Control needs to do their job. This community needs to step up to the plate. It has gone on long enough.
Witness

Swansea, SC

#20 Apr 2, 2013
I have worked for Keith and seen the abuse! He only feeds them when they take a ride out. Even when he was at the old place near mast general store the horses were underfed and had rain rot. I hate that this is happening to these horses. And so many people are making excuses for him but I know the abuse is there. He knows it and tries to hide it. He trades sick horses for healthy ones. He needs to be charged! Or put out of business one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corey essick (May '09) Apr 20 Theonemarried 14
Great News for the Homeless Apr 19 Compassionate Carl 1
4 arrested for anti trump (Jan '17) Apr 18 No Dem ... 14
News Vehicle malfunctions investigated as possible c... Apr 12 Privilege 1
News Police reports Apr 11 Privilege 1
News 3 charged after drugs found on Migos tour bus a... Apr 8 tomin cali 8
People from out of state how there changeing wa... Apr 3 Bob 8

Todd Jobs

Personal Finance

Todd Mortgages