Complaint of improper ventilation at hotel

Posted in the Todd Forum

Heartbroken

Zionville, NC

#1 Jun 17, 2013
I was looking through The Town of Boone 1st quarterly reports for January-March and came across a complaint of improper ventilation at a hotel pool. It saddens me to think that if the hotel was indeed the Best Western could this have been prevented if a follow up had been done on the complaint. I would gladly take any response that this complaint has been addressed by The Town of Boone!
Dss32

Boone, NC

#2 Jun 17, 2013
I really don't think so because the deaths happened because the heater was leaking Carbon Monoxide into the room ABOVE the pool, it was never said that there was a ventilation problem in the pool room itself.

So even if it was the Best Western it wouldn't have done anything to save the occupants of the room.

For what it's worth, the hotel WAS ordered to fix the pool heater a couple weeks before the little boy died. They apparently just didn't do it.
Cindy

Boone, NC

#3 Jun 17, 2013
The pool had been closed and guests were sent to the pool at the hotel next door.

There were two deaths in the room above the pool.

Other guests had complained to the hotel about a problem.

The Building and Planning commission inspected the heater when they switched to natural gas. It was a different heater than the current heater.

So, they apparently were having problems and switched heaters without getting it inspected.

There is one party accountable for this tragedy... whoever was making decisions at the hotel.

The report you refer to says the planning department had a complaint about pool room ventilation. It doesn't say anything about which motel and it doesn't reference a heating system.
What

Greenville, SC

#4 Jun 17, 2013
So your trying to say that a complaint to the town of boone about improper pool heater ventilation from a hotel in boone. Has nothing to do with three people dying as a result of a pool heater being improperly ventilated in boone hotel? WOW let me geuss you must work for the town!

I admit i do not know for sure that this pool ventilation complaint was on the best western but feel pretty good about saying good chance it is. If its not at the best western is something being done about the hotel it was on? If it was best western why on earth wasnt something done about it? Why would the town take and report a complaint and done nothing about it?

Of course the hotel is to blame but the town should also be to blame more so than the medical examiner the town could have prevented all these deaths!
Cindy

Boone, NC

#5 Jun 17, 2013
Pool heater linked to Boone hotel deaths was installed without permit

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/17/4 ...

I know, we need many more inspectors to do surprise inspections everywhere so this won't happen again.
Joe

Boone, NC

#6 Jun 17, 2013
If it was switched out after the last inspection, it gives a little bit of defense for the inspectors. But it doesn't change the fact that there was a problem in April when the old couple died, and nothing was done to fix it. I put a lot of that blame oh the ME for not pointing to CO from the get go, and Boone PD for not thinking an environmental factor could have been to blame. But the boy's death is clearly the fault of poor investigating.
DsS32

Boone, NC

#7 Jun 17, 2013
What wrote:
So your trying to say that a complaint to the town of boone about improper pool heater ventilation from a hotel in boone. Has nothing to do with three people dying as a result of a pool heater being improperly ventilated in boone hotel? WOW let me geuss you must work for the town!
I admit i do not know for sure that this pool ventilation complaint was on the best western but feel pretty good about saying good chance it is. If its not at the best western is something being done about the hotel it was on? If it was best western why on earth wasnt something done about it? Why would the town take and report a complaint and done nothing about it?
Of course the hotel is to blame but the town should also be to blame more so than the medical examiner the town could have prevented all these deaths!
The report says nothing about a heater being involved in the complaint. Nor did the deaths have anything to do with ventilation in the pool room, but the ventilation in the room above the pool.
Joe

Boone, NC

#8 Jun 17, 2013
DsS32 wrote:
<quoted text>
The report says nothing about a heater being involved in the complaint. Nor did the deaths have anything to do with ventilation in the pool room, but the ventilation in the room above the pool.
Bull. The problem was the ventilation in the pool room. If the heater had been properly vented to the outside, it wouldn't have seeped into the room above.
675awe

Wadesboro, NC

#9 Jun 17, 2013
They should quit hiring 20 yr olds to be general managers. I guarantee they were told the problem but didn't do anythn about it
xyz

York, SC

#10 Jun 17, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. The problem was the ventilation in the pool room. If the heater had been properly vented to the outside, it wouldn't have seeped into the room above.
The pool storage room where they store the pool chemicals was not properly ventilated. This is a seperate issue from the pool heater which did not have the correct exhaust/ventilation system.
getthefactsright

Jefferson, NC

#11 Jun 17, 2013
again as in another post- the GM is NOT a 20 something year old but an older woman out of Mtn. City. Why are you attacking the 20 year old(s) that work there? sounds like you have a personal grudge with someone that works there!!! Regardless of who is GM they get their orders from their big boss with the management company. I personally know a couple of 20+ year olds that work there and i would totally know that they would report! Grow up and quit the attack on a person that you personally don't like- deaths happened because of a tragic mistake - not due to a 20 year old front desk worker (not the GM)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The old Golden Corral Building? Mon JoJo 1
Police: Appalachian State student found dead Nov 20 Joe 1
Mallatere pleads not guilty to charges (Jan '14) Nov 20 John 18
Boone teen accused of sexual exploitation of a ... Nov 19 Joe 1
new IHOP in boone Nov 19 john 4
narc (May '11) Nov 18 Shell 48
Durham Murders (Aug '10) Nov 18 psychic19 38

Winter Storm Warning for Ashe County was issued at November 25 at 3:06PM EST

Todd Dating
Find my Match