George Zimmerman/ Trayvon Martin Shhoting

Posted in the Todd Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#1 Jun 21, 2012
Just curious to see what everyone thinks about this situation?
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#3 Jun 21, 2012
I agree and disagree. He wouldn't have had to defend himself if he didn't approach the guy. I think he deserved a lesser charge, not second degree murder.
zheeinm

Voorhees, NJ

#4 Jun 21, 2012
i'm wearing a camera for now on..
zheeinm

Voorhees, NJ

#5 Jun 21, 2012
just kidding i'm black..
Apples to Oranges

Todd, NC

#6 Jun 21, 2012
Zimmerman was overzealous and pursued Trayvon when he shouldn't have. Had he not been suspicious for no good reason and approached the kid, he wouldn't have had to defend himself. If I confront a wild bear for no good reason and it attacks me, is it really the bears fault, or mine for not behaving like logically thinking human being? Zimmerman should have minded his own business. Had he done that, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I don't think Zimmerman wanted any of this to happen, but he did put himself in the situation for something like this to happen. Regardless of whose side one is on in this argument, there are unfortunately no winners...
Apples to Oranges

Todd, NC

#7 Jun 21, 2012
Bob wrote:
I agree and disagree. He wouldn't have had to defend himself if he didn't approach the guy. I think he deserved a lesser charge, not second degree murder.
Second-degree murder is the killing of another with intent, but without forethought. Pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger clearly defines an intent to kill. What else could one possibly intend when doing such a thing? Like I said in my previous post, I do believe that Zimmerman did not want any of this to happen, so there is no forethought. Therefore, second-degree murder is a proper charge.
really

Columbus, NC

#8 Jun 21, 2012
Apples to Oranges wrote:
<quoted text>Second-degree murder is the killing of another with intent, but without forethought. Pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger clearly defines an intent to kill. What else could one possibly intend when doing such a thing? Like I said in my previous post, I do believe that Zimmerman did not want any of this to happen, so there is no forethought. Therefore, second-degree murder is a proper charge.
I think Zimmerman was over zealous and did not start out with the intent of shooting the victim, but in his defense if i see anyone walking thru my neighborhood in hoodie acting suspicious I am going to investigate. Initial police investigation cleared him of charges yet once the media, Jackson and Sharpton became involved Zimmerman was screwed and we will never know the honest truth. If races had been reversed we would have never heard of zimmerman
really

Columbus, NC

#9 Jun 21, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>I think Zimmerman was over zealous and did not start out with the intent of shooting the victim, but in his defense if i see anyone walking thru my neighborhood in hoodie acting suspicious I am going to investigate. Initial police investigation cleared him of charges yet once the media, Jackson and Sharpton became involved Zimmerman was screwed and we will never know the honest truth. If races had been reversed we would have never heard of zimmerman
Also if you will read the background on Zimmerman he was from a very miced race family and lifestyle, I do not think he is a racist as portrayed. Secondly I don't think Martin is as innocent as they wish you to believe either as it is clearly documented zimmerman did suffer head injury during assault. Thing that irritates me the most, they keep showing his 8th grade football picture leading you to believe innocence yet a look at his recent pictures portrayed a wannabe thug. Basically bad judgement on both parties which sadly ended in tragic results of which I feel for both families.
Brandon

Hickory, NC

#10 Jun 22, 2012
I couldn't agree more with "really." I found a funny image last week that showed the 8th grade football picture being circled around along side the picture of Zimmerman in orange prison clothes. There was a caption under it saying something about putting a nice family picture beside a picture of a thug looking person in orange. Then under it there was a picture of Zimmerman dressed nice with his family and Martin, shirtless with baggy pants, flipping a camera off. Its all about perception. IT IS NOT A RACE ISSUE! I am tired of hearing everyone talk about how this happened because Martin was Black. No, it happened because he choose to project the image of a thug and because Zimmerman did not think rationally like he should have.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#11 Jun 22, 2012
Well, this story did come to light because the kid was black. Had it been a black guy that shot a white kid, we wouldn't even know about it. But, on the other hand, if I'm walking home, minding my own business, and some guy comes up behind me asking questions, and doesn't identify himself as a cop, I'm going to get defensive. I'm not sure what made it escalate to Trayvon being on top of George, but It seems to me that Trayvon was standing HIS ground. Was Trayvon perfect? Hell no. Was George Zimmerman perfect? Hell no. Was George Zimmerman in a position to approach a complete stranger in the middle of the night? No. From my understanding, neighborhood watch members are only supposed to observe and report.
really

Julian, NC

#12 Jun 22, 2012
Bob wrote:
Well, this story did come to light because the kid was black. Had it been a black guy that shot a white kid, we wouldn't even know about it. But, on the other hand, if I'm walking home, minding my own business, and some guy comes up behind me asking questions, and doesn't identify himself as a cop, I'm going to get defensive. I'm not sure what made it escalate to Trayvon being on top of George, but It seems to me that Trayvon was standing HIS ground. Was Trayvon perfect? Hell no. Was George Zimmerman perfect? Hell no. Was George Zimmerman in a position to approach a complete stranger in the middle of the night? No. From my understanding, neighborhood watch members are only supposed to observe and report.
To me, it was not a racist issue initially but the media quickly found traction once it became a hate crime. Police were forced into charging Zimmerman by strong arm tactics of the NAACP , forced a qualified white police chief to step aside as to quell racial tension by replacing him with a black chief, allowed the black panthers to spew their threats, who sounds like the racist now. Do you think they could ever allow a not guilty verdict?? No way, it would be riots and disruption unseen before. Yet in the first few days of the media surge, martins parents managed to control the outburst long enough to trademark several sayings using martins name for future use in music and movies assuring they received their royalty fees. Interesting ?
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#13 Jun 22, 2012
Ok, I'm not really sure if race played a role in this particular situation. But, statistically, blacks are more likely to commit crimes. I would be very suspicious if there was a black person walking in a white neighborhood. But, I would also be suspicious if there was a white guy cruising a black neighborhood. Was Zimmerman right to call and report a suspicious person? Yes. Was he right to approach Martin? No. Observe and report. That's all a citizen is supposed to do in this situation. I think that the media read the name George Zimmerman, and reported it as a white guy who shot a black kid walking home. Neither Zimmerman or Martin are model citizens.
Who Knows

Banner Elk, NC

#14 Jun 22, 2012
Bob wrote:
Ok, I'm not really sure if race played a role in this particular situation. But, statistically, blacks are more likely to commit crimes. I would be very suspicious if there was a black person walking in a white neighborhood. But, I would also be suspicious if there was a white guy cruising a black neighborhood. Was Zimmerman right to call and report a suspicious person? Yes. Was he right to approach Martin? No. Observe and report. That's all a citizen is supposed to do in this situation. I think that the media read the name George Zimmerman, and reported it as a white guy who shot a black kid walking home. Neither Zimmerman or Martin are model citizens.
At the risk of oversimplifying it, if Zimmerman isn't carrying a 9MM doing neighborhood watch, he doesn't get out of his vehicle and this never happened. I agree that Trayvon Martin can't possibly be as innocent as he's been portrayed by his attorney, but Zimmerman wouldn't have directly engaged him if he wasn't carrying a gun to begin with. That's insane to me.
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#15 Jun 22, 2012
I agree. Zimmerman said he carried the gun because of dogs. That's all fine and dandy, but why does he need it to approach a guy walking through a neighborhood? Why is he approaching a guy at all? Even if he sees a guy breaking into a house or exiting a house carrying an arm load of stolen items, he has no right to approach. I still stand by my statement that Martin was standing HIS ground. Zimmerman was NOT a cop, and WAS not a security guard. He's a volunteer, self appointed Captain of a neighborhood watch. Observe and report. Observe and report...
really

Newport, TN

#16 Jun 22, 2012
Bob wrote:
I agree. Zimmerman said he carried the gun because of dogs. That's all fine and dandy, but why does he need it to approach a guy walking through a neighborhood? Why is he approaching a guy at all? Even if he sees a guy breaking into a house or exiting a house carrying an arm load of stolen items, he has no right to approach. I still stand by my statement that Martin was standing HIS ground. Zimmerman was NOT a cop, and WAS not a security guard. He's a volunteer, self appointed Captain of a neighborhood watch. Observe and report. Observe and report...
Again I think it was a combination of events that accumulated which sadly ended in tragedy. It was widely reported the neighborhood Zimmerman opted to protect had been experiencing a recent rash of thefts and break ins. On more than one occasion witnesses had notified police of crimes in progress( one a/c theft, one B&E attempt) yet by the time police arrived suspects were gone. Both times suspects were black males. Media reports also stated even though this was a gated community, it had became a cut-thru from public housing to a commercial district, so I do understand Zimmermans and others concerns about neighborhood security.
Apples to Oranges

Todd, NC

#17 Jun 22, 2012
I don't care what color Trayvon was. If Zimmerman had stayed in his house, like a normal human being, nothing would have ever happened. Someone walking through your neighborhood is absolutely no cause for alarm. If they're waling through your yard, yes, but through your neighborhood, no. Moreover, had Trayvon been a white kid wearing khakis and a polo, Zimmerman would have never found him "suspicious," so yes, it was racial, albeit subconscious. Remember, folks, this fruit made 46 911 calls since 2004. What he did was normal you say? How many 911 calls have you made in the last 8 years? If your answer is more than ten I surmise that you (A) belong on Jerry Springer,(B) are the worst victim of butt dial ever, or (C) are suffering from a severe case of schizophrenia. I'll tell you what, next time you see someone walking along the road that you live on, run up and start talking trash, questioning who they are and why they're there. Inevitably, someone will eventually become defensive to this. Are you then justified for any subsequent behavior? Play with fire, you're bound to get burned.
Apples to Oranges

Todd, NC

#18 Jun 22, 2012
The following events are fictional and were formulated for argumentative purposes only. Any likenesses or representations of real individuals are conincidental.

Imagine the Law and Order sound effects, just to add merit to the story.

*Cugh**Cugh*

George Zimmerman: There has been a rash of bears coming onto my porch rummaging through my trashcans. I see a bear now! He's not in my trashcans,in fact, he's just in my neighborhood, but bears like this "always get away!" I'll go and confront him and see just what he's doing here.

George Zimmerman: Holy racist media! I confronted a random black bear and it is unhappy with the fact that I am yelling at it.

*Fight ensues*

George Zimmerman: Man, that bear sure attacked for no good reason. Good thing I shot it to save my own life, seeing as it attacked for no good reason and all.

Game Warden: Sir, so you mean to tell me that you ran out into your neighborhood to confront a black bear, without cause or fear for your life, and it attacked you?

George Zimmerman: Yes! I had no idea this would happen!

Game Warden: You're being charged with unlawfully killing a black bear. If you had stayed in your house, the bear would have simply passed through, with nothing more than the pack of Skittles it had in its pocket.

All of you: The black bear shouldn't have walked through the neighborhood that had a history of trashcans being vandalized!!!! Media racism!! Gun Rights!! Taco Bell!!
Funker

United States

#19 Jun 23, 2012
The black bear shouldn't have walked through the neighborhood that had a history of trashcans being vandalized!!!! Media racism!! Gun Rights!!

What is your point? Trayvon shouldn't have been able to walk through his own neighborhood?
There is certainly media racism involved here. What's your point?
Bob

Wilmington, NC

#20 Jun 23, 2012
Funker wrote:
The black bear shouldn't have walked through the neighborhood that had a history of trashcans being vandalized!!!! Media racism!! Gun Rights!!
What is your point? Trayvon shouldn't have been able to walk through his own neighborhood?
There is certainly media racism involved here. What's your point?
Ok, you just brought up a really good point. Let me just say that I think Zimmerman was 100% wrong in what he did. But, now to gun rights. Why are Martin's parents speaking about gun control now? What laws, other than a ban on carrying firearms in public, would have prevented this situation? Zimmerman had a concealed firearm permit. So, that means that he had completed a background check and had been trained on how to use that firearm. I hate to say this, but there is nothing that Martin's parents can do to bring their son back. They need to move on with their lives. And their attorney is just about retarded. It seems to me that he's only in it for the face time.
Apples to Oranges

Todd, NC

#21 Jun 23, 2012
Funker wrote:
The black bear shouldn't have walked through the neighborhood that had a history of trashcans being vandalized!!!! Media racism!! Gun Rights!!
What is your point? Trayvon shouldn't have been able to walk through his own neighborhood?
There is certainly media racism involved here. What's your point?
Read that post again, as well as the one before it. Then, Google "satire" and "sarcasm." If you can't figure it out then, I can't help you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sharing tree 7 hr juschecking 1
Has Anybody hired Vaughn Investigations (Dec '08) 7 hr carma chameleon 24
Review: Kepley Michael P Attorney 8 hr john boy billy 4
betty austin 14 hr Enemy 69
We're thinking about moving to Boone N.C Sat Cheryl 4
Durham Murders (Aug '10) Fri asheonce 40
Jesse Colton Grimes Dec 17 Jrr 1
Todd Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Todd People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Todd News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Todd

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:30 pm PST

NBC Sports 5:30PM
Manziel leaves Browns' loss with hamstring injury - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 6:22 PM
Can NFC South Winner Steal Playoff Win?
Bleacher Report 6:22 PM
Can NFC South Winner Steal Playoff Win?
NFL 8:59 PM
Falcons' turnaround sends them to brink of playoffs
NBC Sports 1:33 AM
Jones' return helps Falcons eliminate Saints, 30-14 - NBC Sports