Thinking about moving to Boone

Thinking about moving to Boone

Posted in the Todd Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Needs Info

Knoxville, TN

#1 Jan 23, 2011
Could anyone tell me what an RRT with a 4 year degree starts out at the hospitals in this area?
dolla

United States

#2 Jan 23, 2011
Needs Info wrote:
Could anyone tell me what an RRT with a 4 year degree starts out at the hospitals in this area?
you betta have sum dollassss if ya know what i mean,,,,,if u move 2 boone
SOHO

Asheville, NC

#3 Jan 28, 2011
Needs Info wrote:
Could anyone tell me what an RRT with a 4 year degree starts out at the hospitals in this area?
Less than $20k.
sneakyweakysnaps

Asheville, NC

#4 Feb 6, 2011
do not come here. there is absolutely nothing to do and its way too expensive to live in town.
MEH

Sparta, NC

#5 Feb 7, 2011
SOHO wrote:
<quoted text>
Less than $20k.
I think it's more than that. Just call Appalachian Regional Healthcare System and ask them. By the way, Boone is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
well

Brevard, NC

#6 Feb 7, 2011
its wonderful if you love the influx of rude, snobby floridians here n the summer and 15000 extra college students and everything being way over priced.
Concerned Local

Boone, NC

#7 Feb 11, 2011
yeah do it it's fun.
Mountain Woman

Banner Elk, NC

#8 Feb 11, 2011
Moved to the mountains 23 years ago and have never regretted it. There's plenty to do; outdoor activities, cultural stuff, neat people. On the other hand, if you can't live without multiple shopping malls, it might be a bad idea for you.
dropping in

Asheville, NC

#9 Feb 11, 2011
yeah move to boone if all you want to do is hike then skii all year. And thats it. over priced movie theatre, over priced bowling, you can go eat at the hundreds of restaurants that aren't really that good. maybe hit a pot hole and bust a tire.
Paddle

Salyersville, KY

#10 Mar 9, 2011
I have always heard it is a pretty good place to live. How is the job situation?
native

Wellford, SC

#11 Mar 9, 2011
i know people who have worked in the health care facilities around here...they all say it sucks. and boone sucks too. nothing to do. too many people.

“Are you ready???”

Since: May 10

West Jefferson,NC

#12 Mar 14, 2011
WORK in Boone = good idea, LIVE in Boone - bad idea. I'd look to buy/rent 10-20 miles outside of Boone, Watauga Co. is some of N.C.'s most expensive real estate. Traffic near Boone is a nightmare on Acid in Boone.
Reconsider

West Jefferson, NC

#13 Mar 15, 2011
Thinking about moving to Boone, think twice. Let us assume you are fortunate and land job paying $30,000 a year.
1) You will be unable to obtain a mortgage on a $250,000 property unless you bring a $100,000 in cash with you. Few properities are available for less than that unless it is a one room shack.
2) Traffic is miserable and you will have to commute.
3) Most students, who dominate the local population, are rude and tolerated by the police and business because of the money they have. You will be at their mercy.
4) You will always be viewed as an outsider. Read the blog on the Appalachian Cultural Museum to see how outsiders are regarded.
5) You will find prices higher and when you start traveling outside of Boone to shop because of the local merchants jacking up prices you will be regarded as a traitor. Check the local television channel.
6) If you desire companionship no one will want you. University people tend to date university people and locals tend to date locals.
7) Review your potential employer carefully. You will find that same go through perennial cuts in staff to balance their weak budgets.
Welcome to Boone.
2 4 T Watauga

Shelby, NC

#14 Mar 15, 2011
If I were planning to move into this area, i think I wouold go to Ashe County....WestJefferson or someplace. Maybe even up around Sparta.
Boone is too expensive, dominated by the university and the liberal politics are going to mean ever increasing taxes
The Truth Hurts

Lenoir, NC

#15 Mar 15, 2011
Reconsider wrote:
Thinking about moving to Boone, think twice. Let us assume you are fortunate and land job paying $30,000 a year.
1) You will be unable to obtain a mortgage on a $250,000 property unless you bring a $100,000 in cash with you. Few properities are available for less than that unless it is a one room shack.
2) Traffic is miserable and you will have to commute.
3) Most students, who dominate the local population, are rude and tolerated by the police and business because of the money they have. You will be at their mercy.
4) You will always be viewed as an outsider. Read the blog on the Appalachian Cultural Museum to see how outsiders are regarded.
5) You will find prices higher and when you start traveling outside of Boone to shop because of the local merchants jacking up prices you will be regarded as a traitor. Check the local television channel.
6) If you desire companionship no one will want you. University people tend to date university people and locals tend to date locals.
7) Review your potential employer carefully. You will find that same go through perennial cuts in staff to balance their weak budgets.
Welcome to Boone.
I know your post will never make it into the local visitors guide but it should. I've lived in Boone 40 years and find what you say to be painfully true. More true now than ever.
ThinkPositive

Asheville, NC

#16 Mar 15, 2011
I have to agree with most everything you said. There are only a few problems that I can see.

1. Many locals date students.(If that's what you want to call it)I grew up, and attended college here and can say that's actually on my list of good things about Boone as a young person.

2. I know many people that moved here and fit in so well that they are considered to be locals and most others would never know the difference if you didn't tell them.

3. As a business and economics professional, I can assure you that most if not all "employers" have to use the "cut the heard method" at some point. Our current economical status is not the fault of the small business owners, or the students. Its much larger then either of the two and ASU combined. I think I'd of said, Beware of the seasonal jobs. There are very few full time employment options in these areas, and you will be replaced in a second by a student, or skier/boarder that is willing to work part time, with no benefits, and for nothing in order to pay for Ramen noodles, lift tickets, weed, and alcohol.(I was one of these at one point in my life. It was a great time. I'm not blaming the students for taking advantage of a good thing for them.) It is much cheaper for Ski slopes, golf courses, etc. to run this way.

3. Land here is expensive but I personally see that as a very good thing. Tourists and students together are the reason for this. Tourists looking for second homes drove the price up due to supply and demand, and now their dealing with the long term effects of it. Rent its self is high a lot of the time to keep students from destroying homes. That makes perfect sense to me as a former student and local resident/property owner. Remember I'm not blaming the students anymore then the property owners. That's what they're supposed to do in my opinion.

I'd go with the 'Live outside Boone, work in town' reasoning listed earlier.
Reconsider wrote:
Thinking about moving to Boone, think twice. Let us assume you are fortunate and land job paying $30,000 a year.
1) You will be unable to obtain a mortgage on a $250,000 property unless you bring a $100,000 in cash with you. Few properities are available for less than that unless it is a one room shack.
2) Traffic is miserable and you will have to commute.
3) Most students, who dominate the local population, are rude and tolerated by the police and business because of the money they have. You will be at their mercy.
4) You will always be viewed as an outsider. Read the blog on the Appalachian Cultural Museum to see how outsiders are regarded.
5) You will find prices higher and when you start traveling outside of Boone to shop because of the local merchants jacking up prices you will be regarded as a traitor. Check the local television channel.
6) If you desire companionship no one will want you. University people tend to date university people and locals tend to date locals.
7) Review your potential employer carefully. You will find that same go through perennial cuts in staff to balance their weak budgets.
Welcome to Boone.
Local

Savannah, TN

#17 Apr 4, 2011
Boone is a wonderful place to live with lots of things to do.Movie theatres,the mall,bowling,and so much more.If you choose to rent a home,I would suggest a room-mate because rent is expensive.Mobile homes are the cheapest way to go.Or TN is also another great place to live.Only problem;nothing at all to do.The people there are very down to earth and kindness comes natural to those people,unlike some in NC.Rent is also alot cheaper in TN and therefore you can enjoy the comfort of living by yourself,that is unless you wanted a room-mate.
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#18 May 2, 2011
Local wrote:
Boone is a wonderful place to live with lots of things to do.Movie theatres,the mall,bowling,and so much more.If you choose to rent a home,I would suggest a room-mate because rent is expensive.Mobile homes are the cheapest way to go.Or TN is also another great place to live.Only problem;nothing at all to do.The people there are very down to earth and kindness comes natural to those people,unlike some in NC.Rent is also alot cheaper in TN and therefore you can enjoy the comfort of living by yourself,that is unless you wanted a room-mate.
Down to earth? Bunch of ignorant hicks. Pitiful.Kindness? More like ignorant.

Since: Jan 11

Asheville, NC

#19 May 2, 2011
Lonewolf wrote:
<quoted text>Down to earth? Bunch of ignorant hicks. Pitiful.Kindness? More like ignorant.
As long as we are under the dictatorship of the Town of Boone things will never be different. Get rid of the whole shebang down there. If you are not in the little click there you get nothing . It is all about them. Name & control. Get a new town council, manager mayor & chief.

Since: Jan 11

Asheville, NC

#20 May 2, 2011
native wrote:
i know people who have worked in the health care facilities around here...they all say it sucks. and boone sucks too. nothing to do. too many people.
You have to be from another county or state or kiss a-- to work there. EOE employer. ha ha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ArborCare Mar 25 Boone Guy 1
Snitches on 421 (Jun '10) Mar 21 Mtnlover 28
Officer JustIn Warren Mar 21 Bob 2
Angie Auton Miller???? (Jul '09) Mar 19 justiceforall 14
High Country Recycling (Apr '16) Mar 17 Zach 5
Emily Anderson continued #2 (Jan '06) Mar 17 Fart Sex 120
High Country Seafood (Aug '16) Mar 16 Harold 4

Todd Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Todd Mortgages