Stretching the Spine to Ease Pain

Stretching the Spine to Ease Pain

There are 37 comments on the KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids story from May 19, 2006, titled Stretching the Spine to Ease Pain. In it, KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids reports that:

A local chiropractor is literally pulling his patients apart. The new technique stretches his patients' spines and ends decades of pain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Spider

United States

#1 May 20, 2006
Who knew? The medieval torture rack was actually a way to improve people's lives!
kittens

United States

#2 Jun 9, 2006
LOL! Nice post. Although, i know one person who does this weekly and it has seemed to help his lower back and leg woes.
Mr Rhuba

Saint Albans, UK

#3 Jan 10, 2007
Spider wrote:
Who knew? The medieval torture rack was actually a way to improve people's lives!
I have found the only thing that really helped was to look at the causes of back pain and have found that the Alexander Technique has been particularly effective. It is quite a commitment, but it is worth it.
A useful site with questions and answers can be found at
http://www.thealexandercentre.co.uk
There are links from this site to enable you to find a teacher near you

Andrea Organics

Fountain Hills, AZ

#4 Jan 11, 2007
I have personally experienced amazing results in the past few months from drinking mangosteen juice for my back pain. I've had chronic back pain for many years. I regularly see a chiropractor. I went in yesterday and for the first time in years, there was no pain, everything was in line, it was incredible! I've been drinking Xango (a mangosteen juice supplement) for about 3 months and in that short amount of time I have seen dramatic changes.

If you'd like to know more about how Xango can help you, I love to share more with you. Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!
Andrea Organics

Fountain Hills, AZ

#6 Jan 15, 2007
I respectfully disagree and know hundreds of people who have been helped by natural methods. You are entitled to your own opinion as well. I just wanted to share my own story. I have many medical articles to support nutritional supplementation for anyone who might be interested. thanks!!
visionary

Las Vegas, NV

#7 May 9, 2007
I have a question about seeing the chiro. I was injured from a roll over car accident about 4 months ago and for the last month and a half or so i have been seeing a chiro. but i dont feel I'm getting better. Am I waisting time and money? Is there a way I can help cure it myself? Xrays showed my neck to be off about 2 inches my back is fine but thats what hurts my lower back. doc said it's cause I sprained it? I dont know what to do can anyone help???
Amazed

Glenwood, IN

#8 May 9, 2007
visionary wrote:
I have a question about seeing the chiro. I was injured from a roll over car accident about 4 months ago and for the last month and a half or so i have been seeing a chiro. but i dont feel I'm getting better. Am I waisting time and money? Is there a way I can help cure it myself? Xrays showed my neck to be off about 2 inches my back is fine but thats what hurts my lower back. doc said it's cause I sprained it? I dont know what to do can anyone help???
It takes time. You are not only dealing with mis-placed bone, but also muscle and ligaments that have been damaged. Stick with it and get on good foods and pure water. No additives and such. Rest and exercise as instructed.
Amazed

Glenwood, IN

#9 May 9, 2007
visionary wrote:
More: Think of the entire spine as a giant suspension bridge. When one area goes out, so does an other. Gravity can be a monster.
fatman

Canada

#10 May 9, 2007
Visionary,
How many treatment with the chiro? How is he/she treating you? You say your neck is out 2 inches but your low back hurts is that correct.
If you have a number of treatment but no results, try something else. Soft tissue injuries can be difficult to treat. You may look at someone that does Active Release Technique, many chiro's, physio's and massage therapies use the technique.
Look at their website for list of providers
visionary

Las Vegas, NV

#11 May 9, 2007
Well here is the thing Ive seen the chiro. about 4 or 5 times. Now it seems that if I turn or twist too far it kills and its higher than my hips but not the middle of my back. I dont understand how the x-ray says my neck is 2 inches off but that doesn't hurt at all it's just my back. The doc said it's a sprain and he is just doing adjustments popping my neck and back. then puts some zapper things on my back where it hurts the most for 10-15 min. My other issue is it was my car that was rolled and no one else was involved now my insureance wont cover it long story and seeing this doc. is costing me $50 each time. It adds up and im not made out of money... since ive seen him I can twist a little further but every time I even wash my damn car my back starts hurting. Now I do eat healthy and the only thing I drink is water. I try to stretch but Because it hurts so bad I dont know if I am suppose to do that. I cant lift weights anymore or run at the gym I feel so limited :( Im too young to feel this way!
visionary

Las Vegas, NV

#12 May 10, 2007
I've been doing some research online looking at back stretching tech. but to be honest some say do these ones and other say don't it will make it worse. Does anyone know what stretches I should or should not do? I will ask the doc next time I go in but in the mean time any advice on that?
fatman

Canada

#13 May 10, 2007
In reality rehab for soft tissue injuries can be long term where it is with a chiro or physio. 4 or 5 treatments in not very much in a 6 week duration however there should be some expectation of some improvement.
But if money is an issue then your are probably doing the right thing in approaching it with self help exercises.
Exercises programs can be a hit or miss thing, you sometimes have to use trial and error. You body will tell you what works, if it is irritated with the exercise don't do it. This is not a 'no pain, no gain' senerio.
visionary

Las Vegas, NV

#14 May 11, 2007
Thanks I really needed some help I guess I'm just scared I'm going to get ripped off or make it worse by just doing stretching techniques that don't work but you have a more than valid point if it irritates don't do it....
Thanks for the advise.
jim

AOL

#15 May 11, 2007
Chiropractors have NO formal training in soft tissue rehab. They treat imaginary subluxations. If you go to a chiropractor he will want you to continue for the rest of your life. You will need to sigh up all your famaily and friends to get your discount.
Lliam

Frederick, MD

#16 May 12, 2007
visionary

Las Vegas, NV

#17 May 13, 2007
Thanks a lot for everyones help. I never thought I'd get such a great response. I really appriciate it.
fatman

Canada

#18 May 13, 2007
Visionary,

Sometimes you can go to your local community gym and find someone who is knowledgeable about appropriate exercises and stretches for your condition. You will probably be surprise that with a big gym ball and a set of light weights, that you can do majority of the exercises at home. Do not forget that its also good to address the aerobic capacity of your body, walking and swimming can be low impact and excellent cardiovascular exercises.
jim

AOL

#19 May 13, 2007
How is any of this you have said going to correct their subluxations?
fatman

Canada

#20 May 13, 2007
It's not.
It is not what visionary is looking for. Trying to give advice to compensate for his/her problem. Unfortunately without direct correct of joint dysfunction visionary may continue to carry ongoing neuro-musculoskeletal problems.
Understand the body is biological not mechanical, the body can habituate and compensate for dysfunction with time and exercise. He/she may even start to feel better for some time. But the dysfunction will still be there only to manifest itself sometime later.
Pam

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Jun 20, 2007
Find a chiropractor who practices NUCCA. NUCCA chiropractors focus on the neck, with the idea that the rest of the spine will fall into alignment as a result of a straight neck. As well, they use much, much less force to get the same results - they can do this because they are more precise about how to target affected areas.

I was in three car accidents within the space of 7 months, and have suffered from terrible neck pain as a result. Traditional chiropractors provided only temporary relief, and my massage therapist (who practices the St. John method of massage therapy, which is also amazing) told me that she couldn't help me anymore unless I saw a NUCCA chiropractor.

So I did. And I found it difficult to believe that such a gentle method of treatment would be effective (honestly, it feels as though my chiropractor is barely touching me), but it works so, so well. My neck, which x-rays showed to be off about as much as yours is, is now aligned, and tends to stay that way. I've gone from 2-3 sessions/week with a traditional chiropractor to once every two months or so with my NUCCA chiropractor.

I highly, highly recommend that victims of car accidents try this approach, along with strengthening and stretching exercises (massage and acupuncture also help). I'm about 90% better than what I was.

Google NUCCA - their official web site has a feature that will allow you to locate NUCCA practitioners in your area.

Hope that helps!
visionary wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tipton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Purple Martin workshop to be held Jan 22 StJohn Annie 2
News Fertilizer Industry Honors Outstanding Farmer-R... Jan 15 CHRISTINE 1
How can I live off the grid. Planning on cuttin... (Sep '13) Oct '15 Zachary Carr 7
Corn Stand (Aug '10) Sep '15 Zachary Carr 3
Moving to Iowa (Apr '11) Sep '15 Zachary Carr 2
News Iowa City Fire Department Responds to Blaze (Nov '14) Nov '14 Elise Gingerich 1
News Solon storms to 2A title game (Nov '06) Nov '14 Elise Gingerich 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tipton Mortgages