WNKU's growth good for local music

There are 20 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 30, 2011, titled WNKU's growth good for local music. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

WNKU-FM's regional network premiering Tuesday may do as much for the local music scene as it does for the Northern Kentucky University public radio station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Broadcast Geek

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 31, 2011
"This is a home run for the good guys," says Billy Alletzhauser, 39, lead singer for The Hiders.

For Some Reason I Don't Think He's Taken Into Consideration The People Who Lost There Jobs At WPFB Or WPAY... Just Himself & His Band..
This Leaves Us With Only Two FM Stations In Portsmouth 3 Including WLGC, But All Three Are Owned By The Same People.

It's A Sad Day In Portsmouth...
We Have Only One TV Station Now... Crappy 24 On Time Warner & A One Sided Radio Conglomerate.
Susie

Kenton, OH

#2 Jan 31, 2011
I agree!!!!!!!!!!
GlamGirl

Chillicothe, OH

#3 Feb 1, 2011
I listened this morning. The music was great.
We need something different.
crap

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2011
The new station is horrible playin a bunch of old crap nobody wants to hear!! Ive spoke to alot of people today an nobody likes the new station ive already taken it off the pre-set on my radio in my truck!
dozer

Portsmouth, OH

#5 Feb 1, 2011
104.1 is now garbage
smartarse

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 1, 2011
They suck and I will never listen to them again.
Janie

Portsmouth, OH

#7 Feb 1, 2011
I am removing the station from my preset. I wasn't much of a WPAY fan, but I am definitely not interested in listening to programming from a station that is broadcasting another region's likes and preferences.
smartarse

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 1, 2011
Janie wrote:
I am removing the station from my preset. I wasn't much of a WPAY fan, but I am definitely not interested in listening to programming from a station that is broadcasting another region's likes and preferences.
ditto. I feel they have totally ruined the concept of small town America grassroots radio.
GO DADDY

Portsmouth, OH

#9 Feb 1, 2011
Been doing the xm sat for years . I really got tired listening to the other local station. wpay miss you guys and gals. Now how about the same old songs over and over again, zzzzzzzzzzz you dig ?
sad in ptown

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2011
i was one who lost my job with the radio station and I have to say I agree with everything you just said
Broadcast Geek wrote:
"This is a home run for the good guys," says Billy Alletzhauser, 39, lead singer for The Hiders.
For Some Reason I Don't Think He's Taken Into Consideration The People Who Lost There Jobs At WPFB Or WPAY... Just Himself & His Band..
This Leaves Us With Only Two FM Stations In Portsmouth 3 Including WLGC, But All Three Are Owned By The Same People.
We Have Only One TV Station Now... Crappy 24 On Time Warner & A One Sided Radio Conglomerate.
ladybug

United States

#11 Feb 1, 2011
I will never listen to 104.1 again it sucks. I listened. To it for the last 7 yes. I guess it's time to move on!!!
Third ward resident

Dayton, OH

#12 Feb 1, 2011
I wonder if they did any investigation into what the residents of Portsmouth like to listen to? Obviously not. There are a lot of people who like country music. If people don't listen to the new format who will advertise on it? I can't see it lasting the way it now is.
True That

Portsmouth, OH

#13 Feb 1, 2011
That crap on WPAY needed to be axed years ago.

Now if someone would just come in and get that village idiot Hayes off the air, you could listen to the radio around here without thinking you were in Hicksville, USA.
icu

United States

#14 Feb 1, 2011
i can listen to any genre, so i'll probably listen to the new wpay off and on, and honestly, i found it refreshing this morning...at least it wasn't loaded with the same 10 country songs or the same 10 hip hop songs over and over...or the music of Hayes' teen years.
icu

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2011
oh, also...i'm pretty sure none of the radio stations here care what the citizens what to listen to, or i'm sure that the "hayes format" would be off the air...what this town needs by way of a radio station, if you want to stick to it being run by someone "homegrown", is a station owned and formatted by Chris Smith...he's the only jockey in town that knows what he's doing.
onemadmomma

Westerville, OH

#16 Feb 2, 2011
Long overdue change, and welcome! That bunch at WPAY was an embarrassment to the community! 50,000 watts and what did we get? A cross between rock and country(crock)! and Frank Lewis asking 'Did you just pass gas? for God's sake, ANY change is a blessing! Welcome WNKU!
The Grouch

Chillicothe, OH

#17 Feb 2, 2011
I listened to them a bit today. I heard Nickle Creek, Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, and who knows what else. It's definitely a head and shoulders above anything else you'll hear in the area except for WOUB on Sunday afternoon.
Unit 1

Westerville, OH

#18 Feb 2, 2011
I like the news as well.
Broadcast Geek

Columbus, OH

#19 Feb 2, 2011
Third ward resident wrote:
I wonder if they did any investigation into what the residents of Portsmouth like to listen to? Obviously not. There are a lot of people who like country music. If people don't listen to the new format who will advertise on it? I can't see it lasting the way it now is.
It Doesn't Matter What The People Here Think... They Wanted WPFB & WPAY Was Just Part Of The Deal. The Station Is An Educational Station
& Prohibited From Commercial Advertising Unless Its Ruled As Underwriting.
eet mor chikn

Shippingport, PA

#20 Feb 3, 2011
Broadcast Geek wrote:
Are you really that daft? The CE asked Bill what he thought about the expansion... you come across like he ordered layoffs at local radio stations.

Good Lord, someone comes into the area who IS NOT a Clear Channel clone and y'all get pissy about it. You probably wouldn't know good music if it bit you on the ear. NKU rocks.

The Hiders rock, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tipp City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hope that Huckabee will let the empire expire 10 hr The Hack Checker 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Chuck 19,892
This is your oasis (Jun '08) Mon Dork of Hazard 3,171
Is the "CROSS" mightier than the "COLT"? Mon Gun Nut 1
How many Christian villains? Mon Leon Harrison 2
Oakwood Swimmer Brock Turner Mon Tantor 1
Dusty mcgillivray (Nov '13) Mon princess 3
More from around the web

Tipp City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]