Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,521 - 22,540 of 31,119 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
sunshine

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Records wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend works in the central office and has told me that the babb group constantly asks for vast amounts of records of e-mails and never has anything come up "BAD", they just keep making requests that cost this district thousands with no motive to help kids.
Babb ought to be charged per request....now THAT would help our kids.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Go to page 12 and see how our kids are really doing.

http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...

See the definition and range of Proficient, Accelerated, and Advanced.

See if you agree with the state's labeling program of academic achievement.

Note also that the INDICATORS on the district report card that we so assuredly point to as proof of our excellence, mean nothing more than you had 75% or more of your students rated above Proficient.

Each subject tested in each grade test is an INDICATOR, there are 26 INDICATORS you must attain. 24 of the 26 regard having 75% of your students attain Proficient rating.

To be labeled as Proficient in Reading in the 6th grade you had to get at least 35% of the questions correct. 35%= Proficient

And if 75% of your students get at least 35% correct answers on the test your school is granted another INDICATOR point.

The worst is Math in the 7th grade, 32% correct answers to be considered Proficient. 32%= Proficient

And if 75% of your students get at least 32% correct answers on the test your school is granted another INDICATOR point.

We should educate ourselves on these willful obfuscations and demand better.
go away

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Records wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend works in the central office and has told me that the babb group constantly asks for vast amounts of records of e-mails and never has anything come up "BAD", they just keep making requests that cost this district thousands with no motive to help kids.
And they are well within their rights under the Ohio Revised Code and the Sunshine laws to ask for whatever they want - no matter what their motivation. Its the law.
Let the Light Shine In

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Records wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a first step to let the light shine in on the special privileges granted to babb and her bullies by our school employees; but we need to turn up the heat and find out why?

OK - why not go to central office and ask which school employee is responsible for turning over email records "upon request."
We need to research the rights of this sunshine law,
because a former school employee who previously handled these curiousity requests, stated that all email requests had to be SPECIFICALLY questioning SPECIFIC content about the individual citizen requesting the emails. It is understood that it takes a lot of time for school employees to furnish these type of requests and people just walking into central office and getting random access to emails of elected officials is not acceptable. Don't think we need to call the news team to report wasteful spending to the community, but concerned citizens can certainly visit the central office tomorrow morning and gather the facts. It the right thing for responsible citizens to do.
Let the Light Shine In

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
And they are well within their rights under the Ohio Revised Code and the Sunshine laws to ask for whatever they want - no matter what their motivation. Its the law.
Disagree, but concerned citizens still need to look into this further. Is the Central Office the best place to start?
If it is the law that these e-mail records are public access, then the emails should be on the public school board website; so that whoever, for whatever, has public access without going into the schools central office and wasting taxpayers dollars by requesting school employees to spoon feed their curiousity.
Let the Light Shine In

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Away? How silly? Typical response of those status quo defenders of keeping our children's future of greater achievements left behind, in favor of their silly nit-picking, attacking the character of elected officials.
guess

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
'you really need to it go"...sound familiar there ?
go away

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Let the Light Shine In wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Away? How silly? Typical response of those status quo defenders of keeping our children's future of greater achievements left behind, in favor of their silly nit-picking, attacking the character of elected officials.
Sorry that you believe THE LAW is "silly". Whatever the motivation of whomever asks for public records doesn't matter. They are entitled to the information under the Sunshine Law. Same as you are if you were to ask. And I was not defending anyone in their asking for whatever information they ask for - simply pointing out that it is well within their rights to ask and receive the information.

And no - the government (the school in this case) does not have a right to ask who, what, where, when, why they want the information.
spin

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that you believe THE LAW is "silly". Whatever the motivation of whomever asks for public records doesn't matter. They are entitled to the information under the Sunshine Law. Same as you are if you were to ask. And I was not defending anyone in their asking for whatever information they ask for - simply pointing out that it is well within their rights to ask and receive the information.
And no - the government (the school in this case) does not have a right to ask who, what, where, when, why they want the information.
"just let it go"..get over it
Let the Sun Shine In

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
The unspoken law of union masters spin is so silly; And our rights to challenge the wasteful spending of taxpayers dollars is just as valid as babb bullies rights to challenge all things for self-empowerment. Isn't it just as simple as a visit to district office to ask for access to all emails, just like babb does, then all the public will be informed and just as knowledgeable of all things just like babb. No problems!
Impartial

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
Records

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

wow
I was truly embarrassed by the liberals in the audience tonight. They were rude, crass, obnoxious and you guys on the board did not deserve that type of behavior from what otherwise is a seemingly courteous community.
Teachers are treated with respect and this school board was treated extremely poorly by them tonight. We were soooo embarrassed to live in this trashy community.

There was no respect shown to people that work for almost free not teachers that work for twice the wages as the rest of us. Just trashy and so disrespectful, really shameful. There were children in the audience and they saw that behavior, shameful. Poor school board.
master liar

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Impartial wrote:
At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
Maybe, but can he carry a sentence?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

I saw a vehement opposition to spending $15,000 on investigating the feasibility of a conversion school. Perhaps an alternative environment, that if properly integrated into our system, that would allow some of our less academically advanced to move forward for a change. When all of the demanding parents who insist their child deserves more special attention go somewhere else, those in the meaty part of the curve will get the attention they need.

Why anyone would oppose this investigation into possible opportunities is beyond me.

On the other hand, they were absolutely giddy at the prospect of spending up to $57,000 to get a replacement levy passed. Money suddenly became no object.

Go figure.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Go to page 12 and see how our kids are really doing.

http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...

See the definition and range of Proficient, Accelerated, and Advanced.

See if you agree with the state's labeling program of academic achievement.

Note also that the INDICATORS on the district report card that we so assuredly point to as proof of our excellence, mean nothing more than you had 75% or more of your students rated above Proficient.

Each subject tested in each grade test is an INDICATOR, there are 26 INDICATORS you must attain. 24 of the 26 regard having 75% of your students attain Proficient rating.

To be labeled as Proficient in Reading in the 6th grade you had to get at least 35% of the questions correct. 35%= Proficient

And if 75% of your students get at least 35% correct answers on the test, your school is granted another INDICATOR point.

The worst is Math, in the 7th grade, 32% correct answers are required to be considered Proficient. 32%= Proficient

And if 75% of your students get at least 32% correct answers on the test, your school is granted another INDICATOR point.

We should educate ourselves on these willful obfuscations and demand better.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

master liar

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

The display I saw last night was not about the kids it was 100% union activists the audience was 90% union and spouses and the rudest people I have ever seen. My spouse couldn't come because she had to work, Yes I said work more than 7.25 hours in a day.
I heard people speak that clearly should not have they said the dumbest things I have ever heard. One man said that he would not be sending his daughter to this school because he would not send his child to a non union teacher. The had to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Man you deserve what you get.
Now I have to go to work and my day will be longer than 7.25 hours. Guess we don't have that union label.
master liar

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC _Grading_On_A_Curve_Final.pdf
Try that link.
This describes Springboro perfectly. Thank You
I am taking my kids out of here and all other public school parents should look at the deception. There is not "great education in public schools there is only union run disappointments. David Bowman what do you say about this report HMMMMM nothing HMMMMMMMMMM? The speakers were all union activists sticking up for this poor performance, the truth is out.
please ask

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Happy Days wrote:
<quoted text>
One factor that can influence the percentage of kids taking AP classes is the breadth of the subject offered as well as the number of actual classes held. I know that one of my kids was not able to take an AP class because it was full therefore, his not able to take that class negatively impacted Springboro's percentage. Also, Springboro's AP offering is narrower than that offered at other schools. We probably have more than some and I know we have less than others. That would also impact the number and percentage of kids taking classes. You have to be careful with these stats as it's not straight apples to apples from school to school. It could be that if we had more sections of a particular AP class and/or a wider offering, that our percentage could be higher, or even lower.
Oh happy days, did you know that there were not enough AP courses simply due to the HS adding courses such as Music appreciation and guitar? Why did they offer these and not AP courses? Great question please ask the HS principal and Lisa Blabb. If they tell you the truth you will hear, well we had to save a teaching position so now this world will have more music appreciators and less scientists and surgeons, less scholarships and less anything that matters. You see, it is all about another union position no matter what the reason or cost.
Thanks

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Very Curious wrote:
I'm sure you will question my source for this information...it is from The College Board (the company that makes the AP tests), analysis of budget reports, and questioning the adminstrators at Springboro. A detailed analysis for Springboro's AP courses (including their cost to the district) was completed during the 2008-09 Program Analysis Project. Surely it is a matter of public record and can be requested from Central Office. At the time, offering AP courses was found to be incredibly cost-effective. Requiring students to take the courses seriously and take the exams was "not within the spirit of Springboro High School's Philosophy" and was not pursued.-posted by: in case you were curious-
Seems like during the 2008-09 year very little (except cheating our students out of greater achievements and scamming our kids sports fees for individual sports coaches best interest) WAS within the spirit of Springboro High School's Philosophy.
Don Miller is the only board member left over from Ron Malone's tired old high school philosophy of defending status quo. With a 4-1 reform minded BOE majority working in the best interest of our children's future, the old school philosophy of Don Miller and Ron Malone of just resting on our HAS BEEN excellent with distinction rating is so NOT relevant for 21st century education philosophy; and we have such ACCELERATED hopes for the new year that Don Miller and Ron Malone will fade just fade away to have a nice day someplace else .....
Thank you, someone does their homework.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tipp City Discussions

Search the Tipp City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 min xxxrayted 29,178
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 34 min Samuel 18,546
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 20 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed They cannot kill a Spook 231
Let's remember our constitution and national debt. Wed The Hack Checker 2
Brits want to stop female genital mutilation! Wed The Hack Checker 3
Michael Bloomturd has landed in Tel Aviv! Wed The Hack Checker 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Tipp City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••