Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,118)

Showing posts 22,341 - 22,360 of30,997
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Grapevine Schooling

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
It's exciting to read in the November 15 Springboro Sun that our
"Springboro Community Schools are in good shape financially, according to district officials."
"With today's economy, most districts are NOT passing new levies, Petrey said. "The board will have to put a RENEWAL of a levy that brings in $9.2 million on the ballot in 2013," Petrey said.
What IS the difference between a "replacement levy" and a "renewal levy?"

Both Mr. Petrey and school board member Mr. Rigano have used the term "renewal levy" being on the ballot in 2013.

Isn't it the understanding of voters that our school district's request that a "renewal levy" is needed tells us that the school district is living within the means of the community; and that NEW money is NOT included (and NOT hidden) in the school district's agenda to pass the "renewal levy" in 2013.
Is this correct?
Grapevine Schooling

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
With greatest respect for personal circumstances of all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners; we must consider the comments
of board members as stated in the November 15 Springboro Sun article: Schools 'in good shape'
Board member Jim Rigano said, "I don't think there's any question that we will have to be on the ballot with that renewal."
...District officials have been making cuts that will help in the future, according to superintendent Todd Petrey....
School officials must follow the spending habits of the public,
according to board member Wendy Kull.
Voters need to follow closely the public school board meetings as this renewal levy process unfolds; making sure that "collective demands" for educational services do not override individual rights of Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners.
According to board member Jim Rigano, the school district will put a "renewal" levy on the ballot. Doesn't "renewal levy" mean No New Tax Increases?
r u kiddin

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Reminder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still waiting for the answers. Where is the Springboro Police Departments investigation of the Boosters? Why hasn't the Prosecutor gotten involved?
Have the coaches turned over their bank statements and check books? Are they trying to spend all the money that is left? What is the Treasurer and the State Auditor doing?
What about the summer camp money?
WHERE IS THE MONEY?
Has the administration and the board forgotten about these issues? Are they hoping that the public forgets? I have not forgotten. I still want to know.
Forget about it. Keep playing. Roll the dice. Take another turn.

The Springboro Police is tucked securely in the Boosters' back pocket and vice versa. The only thing that would happen from the perspective of Springboro police is collection of documents to forward to the state auditors office. No doubt any document, e-mail or budget ledger that might take down any top past or present Booster officials has already been swept under the rug with zero chance of ever being found again.
Not Kidding Not Funny

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

r u kiddin wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget about it. Keep playing. Roll the dice. Take another turn.
The Springboro Police is tucked securely in the Boosters' back pocket and vice versa. The only thing that would happen from the perspective of Springboro police is collection of documents to forward to the state auditors office. No doubt any document, e-mail or budget ledger that might take down any top past or present Booster officials has already been swept under the rug with zero chance of ever being found again.
No way are decent folks in Springboro going to "forget about it" as being dictated to us on this discussion blog.
What kind of role model of good citizenship for our school children and community members is this garbage message of tossing out the truth because "the Springboro Police" is tucked securely in the Boosters' back pocket and vice versa? Shouldn't we organize some kind of citizens committee demanding a news conference with the Springboro mayor to respond to this charge against our Springboro Police?
Perhaps the "documents" have already been swept under the rug; and perhaps decent tax-paying citizens in this school district now need to "sweep" these school teachers/coaches right off our school district payroll. This boosters investigation issue must be dealt with (if not by the police; then by the elected school board officials and school superintendent) IF our school superintendent expects to win the votes needed to pass the upcoming renewal levy.
r u kiddin

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Not Kidding Not Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
No way are decent folks in Springboro going to "forget about it" as being dictated to us on this discussion blog.
What kind of role model of good citizenship for our school children and community members is this garbage message of tossing out the truth because "the Springboro Police" is tucked securely in the Boosters' back pocket and vice versa? Shouldn't we organize some kind of citizens committee demanding a news conference with the Springboro mayor to respond to this charge against our Springboro Police?
Perhaps the "documents" have already been swept under the rug; and perhaps decent tax-paying citizens in this school district now need to "sweep" these school teachers/coaches right off our school district payroll. This boosters investigation issue must be dealt with (if not by the police; then by the elected school board officials and school superintendent) IF our school superintendent expects to win the votes needed to pass the upcoming renewal levy.
I beg your pardon! I'm not here to "dictate" anything.
I merely posted an opinion that has historical precedent to back it up.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Who represents the boosters? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?
Who is the Springboro magistrate? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?
Who is the Warren County Court Judge? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?

We are saddened to have discovered a major transgression that, because of deception, was not readily observable. Once it was, we took immediate action to recover the money we knew to be missing and, in turn, notified the appropriate authorities so that the behavior can be addressed in the legal system,” the club said in a statement issued by lawyer Jeff Kirby.

I wonder how hard it is to bury something in Springboro if you know the right people?

Ask an attorney.
bodhisattva

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Who represents the boosters? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?
Who is the Springboro magistrate? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?
Who is the Warren County Court Judge? Is it one of the Kirby and Kirby attorneys?
We are saddened to have discovered a major transgression that, because of deception, was not readily observable. Once it was, we took immediate action to recover the money we knew to be missing and, in turn, notified the appropriate authorities so that the behavior can be addressed in the legal system,” the club said in a statement issued by lawyer Jeff Kirby.
I wonder how hard it is to bury something in Springboro if you know the right people?
Ask an attorney.
Yeah I can see it. I can envision Kirby contacting Yost's office looking for a mulligan. Anything to keep the Boro from deviating too far from the Pleasantville that exists in Kirby's mind.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Here is another piece worth pondering. Why is the union that represents the employees of the Ohio Education Association striking the union?

You can't make this stuff up, but it does open a window into the mindset of those who purport to do it only for the benefit of the children.

Writing on the official PSU website, OEA staff described OEA as “hell-bent on forcing its Professional Staff Union (PSU) to strike” and said,“[i]t is extremely ironic that the state’s largest advocate of school employees in collective bargaining has chosen not to bargain fairly with its own employees.”

Hit this link to find out the rest of the story:

http://ohio.mediatrackers.org/2012/06/07/why-...

What these trusting souls fail to realize is that this is a business, and to the union its members are faceless cogs they sell for a profit. The OEA could care less about a teacher, but care greatly about the OEA's profitability and subsequent cash flow.
Old News

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Reminder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still waiting for the answers. Where is the Springboro Police Departments investigation of the Boosters? Why hasn't the Prosecutor gotten involved?
Have the coaches turned over their bank statements and check books? Are they trying to spend all the money that is left? What is the Treasurer and the State Auditor doing?
What about the summer camp money?
WHERE IS THE MONEY?
Has the administration and the board forgotten about these issues? Are they hoping that the public forgets? I have not forgotten. I still want to know.
Old news here; but doesn't the "agreement between the school board and boosters" send notice to school district taxpayers that "business as usual" is resumed? According to the old news article of November 1, 2012, Springboro Sun reports:

"The district benefits as we have a solid agrteement with a valued organization that will guide us into the future," superintendent Todd Petrey said.
Boosters president Suzanne Edwards said she is happy with the agreement. "We never had an agreement before. The school board wants to run things by the book and we have nothing to hide." There is now a list of rules that both sides have to follow, she said.-Springboro Sun

(Could it be that "Number One" on that list of rules that both sides have to follow is, simply put:
"The Board Don't Ask/The Boosters Don't Tell".....?)

Twp resident

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Old News wrote:
<quoted text>
Old news here; but doesn't the "agreement between the school board and boosters" send notice to school district taxpayers that "business as usual" is resumed? According to the old news article of November 1, 2012, Springboro Sun reports:
"The district benefits as we have a solid agrteement with a valued organization that will guide us into the future," superintendent Todd Petrey said.
Boosters president Suzanne Edwards said she is happy with the agreement. "We never had an agreement before. The school board wants to run things by the book and we have nothing to hide." There is now a list of rules that both sides have to follow, she said.-Springboro Sun
(Could it be that "Number One" on that list of rules that both sides have to follow is, simply put:
"The Board Don't Ask/The Boosters Don't Tell".....?)
A few months ago the media was tripping all over themselves being the first to announce an investigation into donations made by the Springboro Boosters. You would think the media might be interested in hearing the actually story....?
Twp resident

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

Media = closure?
Uno Vote

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

old news wrote:
<quoted text>
I will vote no because I am a laid off employee with a family to support.
One more vote standing with you and your family.

Until state laws in Ohio give every family the dignity of the RIGHT TO WORK without being heavily taxed by greedy union masters, then why in the world should we who are unemployed, underemployed, and employed in the private sector NOT vote against the teachers union and public safety unions?

Better Watch Out

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Reminder wrote:
Pay attention folks. What kind of levy does the board want? They are using the terms "replacement" and "renewal" interchangeably.
<quoted text>
In addition to watching the TV broadcasts of Springboro School Board Meetings, remember to check the school website often to read agendas and minutes of board meetings and what is being said about the renewal levy coming up. You can check on the school website on the Parents Resource page for the minutes of the District Parent Council to learn more about what's happening with the levy ladies about town; such as the following comments from the District Parent Council meeting on November 27, 2012:

"A question was asked to Mr. Petrey about the renewal levy –Have you thought of a plan to reach out to Clearcreek Twp? I am pushing to get out what teachers do. I believe in Springboro people that when they see the product they are getting, they will be willing to pay. Addressing what happens academically is what we need to focus on. People are tired of hearing about when we are going to run into a deficit. People need to know what they are receiving in return for what they are paying for. Changing our message. Spotlight on the great things teachers do."

Perhaps this is a good time to open up that investigation again into those "great things that our teachers/sports coaches do" and put the spotlight first on these bank accounts that these four teachers/coaches are hiding behind legal counsel.
Wouldn't it be great to get this booster investigation cleared up before our school administrators focus on "changing our message" to renewal levy?
take it to the bank

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Better Watch Out wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition to watching the TV broadcasts of Springboro School Board Meetings, remember to check the school website often to read agendas and minutes of board meetings and what is being said about the renewal levy coming up. You can check on the school website on the Parents Resource page for the minutes of the District Parent Council to learn more about what's happening with the levy ladies about town; such as the following comments from the District Parent Council meeting on November 27, 2012:
"A question was asked to Mr. Petrey about the renewal levy –Have you thought of a plan to reach out to Clearcreek Twp? I am pushing to get out what teachers do. I believe in Springboro people that when they see the product they are getting, they will be willing to pay. Addressing what happens academically is what we need to focus on. People are tired of hearing about when we are going to run into a deficit. People need to know what they are receiving in return for what they are paying for. Changing our message. Spotlight on the great things teachers do."
Perhaps this is a good time to open up that investigation again into those "great things that our teachers/sports coaches do" and put the spotlight first on these bank accounts that these four teachers/coaches are hiding behind legal counsel.
Wouldn't it be great to get this booster investigation cleared up before our school administrators focus on "changing our message" to renewal levy?
Unlike agenbroad's support of another fire levy, Wade and his affluent constituents, do not, and probably will never fully support any kind of school levy. History tells us so.
No levy for me

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Until the administrators and board can show that they can take care of the money that they were previously responsible for, like the Boosters, the coaches, the teachers, and any other "off the books" records, they can count my vote as a NO.

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

And, NO, I don't want to start fresh or have a new beginning, I want to know what happened to all the money that we all paid in the past. We paid $450 pay to play. We paid and contributed and harassed our friends and relatives to donate their money too. No more money without strict accountability, starting with finding the money we previously paid. I work hard, my spouse works hard, why do certain coaches who will not turn over their records seem to be living above their income level?

WHERE IS THE MONEY? NO ACCOUNTABILITY = NO LEVY
Say It Again

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

No levy for me wrote:
Until the administrators and board can show that they can take care of the money that they were previously responsible for, like the Boosters, the coaches, the teachers, and any other "off the books" records, they can count my vote as a NO.
WHERE IS THE MONEY?
And, NO, I don't want to start fresh or have a new beginning, I want to know what happened to all the money that we all paid in the past. We paid $450 pay to play. We paid and contributed and harassed our friends and relatives to donate their money too. No more money without strict accountability, starting with finding the money we previously paid. I work hard, my spouse works hard, why do certain coaches who will not turn over their records seem to be living above their income level?
Amen! Time for Boro to Rally First for ACCOUNTABILITY!
Renewal Levy Later......!
Mixed up

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Better Watch Out wrote:
<quoted text>
The coaching scandal and the booster fiasco do not directly involve tax payer money. Lets try and not get them mixed up.
SOS

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

No levy for me wrote:
WHERE IS THE MONEY?
I think the Boosters ought to consider planning another Save Our Scam rally.
Because their leadership demonstrated zero accountability at the first rally it would be very easy to use a second rally as a barameter for progress.
Better Watch Out

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Mixed up wrote:
<quoted text>The coaching scandal and the booster fiasco do not directly involve tax payer money. Lets try and not get them mixed up.
Excuse me, but the way I see it (and many voters that I see out and about town "shopping and eating out" financially supporting our Springboro economy) it is agreed that everything about the booster fiasco directly involves tax payer money.
The boosters may have won the legal battle against School District tax payers; but many taxpayers on "main street" and around the "dinner table" are NOT taken in by Jeff Kirby's heart of the "panther" spin that all is wealth in the Boro and the wealth is there for the bully Boosters taking.
Many taxpayers in this school district are still apalled by the July personal attacks launched upon community members by the Boosters and their supporters; Many hard working "tax burdened" voters in this school district do not agree with the statement made by booster supporter at a public board meeting that "the boosters are ok with transparency; but that individual sports coaches should be allowed to keep their activities fees to do with as the coaches please."
Isn't this the reason the coaches refused to submit financial records that were under scrutiny; but hired a lawyer instead to just "beat the system?" Why was the taxpayer funded school athletic director never held accountable for these coaches "financial mismanagement?" And why did the taxpayer funded school treasurer NOT collect into the school athletic program these funds that individual coaches were storing up in personal bank accounts?
SOS

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Better Watch Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Many hard working "tax burdened" voters in this school district do not agree with the statement made by booster supporter at a public board meeting that "the boosters are ok with transparency; but that individual sports coaches should be allowed to keep their activities fees to do with as the coaches please."
"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

- William F. Buckley Jr.

Yes! Exactly! This is all the more reason for Booster S.O.S Rally II. Just think! This could be so much more than a poorly-organized pep rally to inspire the public to attend BOE meetings.
S.O.S. Rally II could be the ideal opportunity for our district's taxpayers to challenge key Springboro Boosters officials regarding these past statements of hypocrisy. While everyone's together, all snuggly and comfy, maybe these officials on their own turf can explain the reasons Springboro Boosters reputation generally sux for having such a notoriously awful organizational self-discipline.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,341 - 22,360 of30,997
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Tipp City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Tipp City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••