Is Ohio next on right-to-work battlefront?

Dec 12, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WKYC-TV

As neighboring Michigan became the 24th state Tuesday to enact laws that prohibit agreements requiring workers to join a union or pay dues, Ohio groups that support the laws say the Buckeye State has to follow suit or watch jobs leave.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Social Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Amanda Slap wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!! hide the governing plans from the people. That is the way to do it. Ohio is already preparing for that move.
Well then, it isn't so hidden is it?
Sam

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Actually Union Man is right, unions are your guarantee to fair treatment. The threat of unionization has given us decent wages; benefits and the 40 hour work week until the very recent past as the weakening of the unions has begun.

For those blaming the unions for running the jobs out of this county take a look at the free trade agreements that started in the 90ís, it seems to me thereís where you pin point the problem.

Also before you depend on the law for protection, remember laws can be changed and those who have the money and power can change them often. Remember corporations can buy off your representatives and poof there goes your guarantee to fair treatment.

Perhaps Union Man canít write worth a damn but heís been around the block maybe you should listen to him.

Since: Jul 12

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

union man wrote:
<quoted text>red neck you love your toyota so much pack your azz an move to japan,you may like it there also,
you are just another union tool..If your product was so good then the Japanese wouldn't be able to last in this market..so pack up you trash and move to mexico slime...
Social Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Sam wrote:
Actually Union Man is right, unions are your guarantee to fair treatment. The threat of unionization has given us decent wages; benefits and the 40 hour work week until the very recent past as the weakening of the unions has begun.
For those blaming the unions for running the jobs out of this county take a look at the free trade agreements that started in the 90ís, it seems to me thereís where you pin point the problem.
Also before you depend on the law for protection, remember laws can be changed and those who have the money and power can change them often. Remember corporations can buy off your representatives and poof there goes your guarantee to fair treatment.
Perhaps Union Man canít write worth a damn but heís been around the block maybe you should listen to him.
Just who is going to do away with OSHA, thus eliminating government guaranteed safety on the job? Safety is always one of labor's biggest bogus claims.
Just who is going to offer wages so low they lose workers to union shops? Dittos with health insurance, which just became obsolete since we are all going to be forced into government provided health care.
That leaves vacations. What company cannot offer vacation time to full time employees?
Unions are obsolete, and they know it. That's why they are so frantic for card check, and so outraged over right to work states. But that's what happens when you turn your members into your own personal slaves, existing only to provide you with more laundered money for the Democrats.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Social Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Just who is going to do away with OSHA, thus eliminating government guaranteed safety on the job? Safety is always one of labor's biggest bogus claims.
Just who is going to offer wages so low they lose workers to union shops? Dittos with health insurance, which just became obsolete since we are all going to be forced into government provided health care.
That leaves vacations. What company cannot offer vacation time to full time employees?
Unions are obsolete, and they know it. That's why they are so frantic for card check, and so outraged over right to work states. But that's what happens when you turn your members into your own personal slaves, existing only to provide you with more laundered money for the Democrats.
If you really have a LSW license, I sure do pity your clients.

The government doesn't "guarantee" the safety of one single American through OSHA regulations or their enforcement. Those regulations merely serve as incentives to an employer to provide safe working conditions, through the threat of fines.

for example, a local excavator here in NE ohio just got fined about 120 G's for not using mandated trench protection in relation to a cave in about a year ago that resulted in the death of one man and the serious injury of another. You call that a "guarantee". Tell it to the relatives of those killed or maimed on the job. You have no clue what you're speaking about.

The entire purpose of RTW is to emasculate the unions by removing their primary revenue source, thus enabling employers to reduce labor expenses without the threat of collective bargaining.

If you think that those who understand the empirically proven historical benefits of collective bargaining are going to just lay down, you're foolish.

woof
Sam

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

If I wanted to do some Union busting, the first thing I would do is get public sentiment on my side. Corporations have done just that, worked hard to vilify unions, turning them into a destroyer of jobs instead of a means to protect the worker.

Trust me corporations would love all unions destroyed, and you know whatís next? Those laws you keep referring to that currently protect workersí rights. Safety costs money, vacations cost money, competitive wages cost money, health care cost money, everything cost money and guess what .. the corporation is going to continue to complain that YOU the worker is keeping them from being competitive.

Donít be so fast to throw away hard won rights, you wonít get them back again so easily.
Social Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The government doesn't "guarantee" the safety of one single American through OSHA regulations or their enforcement. Those regulations merely serve as incentives to an employer to provide safe working conditions, through the threat of fines.
for example, a local excavator here in NE ohio just got fined about 120 G's for not using mandated trench protection in relation to a cave in about a year ago that resulted in the death of one man and the serious injury of another. You call that a "guarantee". Tell it to the relatives of those killed or maimed on the job. You have no clue what you're speaking about.
The entire purpose of RTW is to emasculate the unions by removing their primary revenue source, thus enabling employers to reduce labor expenses without the threat of collective bargaining.
If you think that those who understand the empirically proven historical benefits of collective bargaining are going to just lay down, you're foolish.
The union didn't fix that problem either, did it?
You will never convince me unions are a good thing. Never.
woof
The union didn't prevent that accident either did it? You will never convince me unions are a good thing. Never.
Perhaps YOU should talk to the families of men who have been murdered by the union for standing up to the unions. There are far more of them than the few you mention here.
Outraged

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

union man wrote:
if it was not for the union garabge, these azz, hole,s will be working for,$3 or$4 dollar,s per hr; no insurance, or bennefit.s. working from friday to friday,no crap house break.s. no vacation,s. no retirement. work until you are 90 are drop, you may an your family may go hungry on these kind of work forces, so you dum azz,s that beleive in work law, be aware of what is at a estate,for your lazy azz,future, not much to count on.with out a union,s so go a head an listen to your old grand daddy.
see were he is seting don,t you,
Don't know what planet YOU live on, but the unions are not what they used to be or should be anymore. All they are are pathetic thug babies who've never grown up. Reminds me of undisciplined
brats who don't get ALL they want, so they go out of their way to make other people miserable until somebody caves.

I could be scatological about this, but what's the point. Unions are useless thugs. End of story.
Outraged

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Sam wrote:
If I wanted to do some Union busting, the first thing I would do is get public sentiment on my side. Corporations have done just that, worked hard to vilify unions, turning them into a destroyer of jobs instead of a means to protect the worker.
Trust me corporations would love all unions destroyed, and you know whatís next? Those laws you keep referring to that currently protect workersí rights. Safety costs money, vacations cost money, competitive wages cost money, health care cost money, everything cost money and guess what .. the corporation is going to continue to complain that YOU the worker is keeping them from being competitive.
Donít be so fast to throw away hard won rights, you wonít get them back again so easily.
Know what bothers me? The cops are quick to arrest ordinary citizens who express dissent and maybe LOOK like they can be taken.

But where are the cops when THESE union thugs show up? Man, I'd tear gas every stinkin one of them.
Social Worker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Outraged wrote:
<quoted text>
Know what bothers me? The cops are quick to arrest ordinary citizens who express dissent and maybe LOOK like they can be taken.
But where are the cops when THESE union thugs show up? Man, I'd tear gas every stinkin one of them.
Steven Crowder has filed a complaint with the MI state police over the assault he suffered. Since the thugs who attacked him is a union offficial, he may be filing suit against the Union.Apparently the union has issued death threats against his wife too.
Real nice guys, those union thugs. This is how they have operated for 77 years. It's time we were free of this kind of violence.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Social Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
The union didn't prevent that accident either did it? You will never convince me unions are a good thing. Never.
Perhaps YOU should talk to the families of men who have been murdered by the union for standing up to the unions. There are far more of them than the few you mention here.
Actually, in that specific incident the company was non-union.

I'm not looking to convince you. You don't understand what unions have given you,as an American worker, because you weren't paying attention in school, or were never taught American History by someone who understood it.

As for your assertion that people have been murdered for standing up to unions, people have been murdered for lots of reasons, the vast majority of time its unjustifiable. Twenty little kids got murdered for going to school today.

What's your point?

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Social Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Steven Crowder has filed a complaint with the MI state police over the assault he suffered. Since the thugs who attacked him is a union offficial, he may be filing suit against the Union.Apparently the union has issued death threats against his wife too.
Real nice guys, those union thugs. This is how they have operated for 77 years. It's time we were free of this kind of violence.
Mr. Crowder purposefully baited people into striking him, and got exactly what he asked for.

woof
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Why should I? Japan came here and now I have an automobile that I don't have to worry about constantly breaking down. Not only that, but the money I paid for my car went to the people who manufactured it--not somebody sitting at home for the last 25 years on GM's retirement plan.

Less rust, more reliable, value...... see what happens when you don't have a union?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Whoops, forgot to quote:
union man wrote:
<quoted text>red neck you love your toyota so much pack your azz an move to japan,you may like it there also,
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Sam wrote:
I'll disagree because I've seen jobs leave the Cleveland area repeatedly. Unions don't negotiate--they bully. They call it negotiation because it's just a nice word for force.

Jobs have been leaving the country years before the 90's. Companies have been trying to escape unions as long as I can remember.

As I stated, unions are about force, as in force you to join their organization if you want a job at a union company. I know because I've applied at companies who were beaten down by a union, and once I stated I didn't want to join the union, I was never called for a job proposal or second interview.

People shouldn't be forced to join anything just to work. How would you like it if a potential employer said that in order to work for his company, you had to join his church? Or have auto and home insurance through his brother-in-law? See how intrusive that is?

Choice is American because choice means freedom. The more choices you have, the more freedom you have.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
woof
What choice do they have?

Unions are not only expensive because of pay and benefits to their clients, but they cost companies money in other ways.

Hostess is a good example of how certain trucks could only take certain goods to stores. Another truck had to take different goods to the same store because of the union. That makes no sense and is certainly more costly to the employer.

I've been victim of this on my job when I made deliveries to the auto companies. I could get loaded in about a half-hour or so, and it took UAW workers three hours to get me unloaded. I've also talked with union drivers back in the day. When they had last minute pickups, those pickups had to be made by the driver with the most seniority-- not the driver closest to the stop. If a last minute pick up came in and they had a driver right down the street, unions would prohibit the company from using that driver, and would have to call another guy clear on the other side of town to give him first option. If the company violated that rule, then they not only paid overtime to the driver down the street, but they had to pay the guy with seniority the same overtime pay because they did not call him first.

Non-union shops advance people based on their job performance, attendance and willingness to learn. In unions, you are promoted by seniority it doesn't matter how good of a worker you are. So you end up with dolts being supervisors and dummies knowing less than the employees they are hired to oversee. How can a company be successful that way?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Social Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but Crowder made a public challenge to the guy who hit him. He said he will fight the guy anywhere at any time one-on-one. He will sell it and the loser will donate all his earnings to the charity of the winner. He said he will include unions. If he loses the fight, all his earnings will go to the union of his opponents choice.

So far, the thug is still in hiding. LOL!
Sam

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Read your history about turn of the century conditions for the average worker. Between the years 1870 Ė 1900 (the Industrial Revolution)

&#61607; US had the highest job related fatality rate of any industrialized nation in the world.
&#61607; Most workers put in a 10 hours day and earned 20 Ė 40% less than the minimum necessary for a decent life.

If Unions are busted, history will repeat itself because to put it plainly there is no kindness in unregulated capitalism.

Ask anyone on Wall Street, pure capitalisms only concern is to make money. Capitalism does not care about products, ethics, boundaries, people, politics, or your rights.

Unions are part of the machinery in our society that helps regulate capitalism; this is good for the health of our economy.

For those of you who take an anti union stand, donít be so naive, corporations are good at games and this is a calculated game. It may take them time but the end result is very lucrative, your rights and benefits are worth quite a lot of money. Get it?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Sam wrote:
Read your history about turn of the century conditions for the average worker. Between the years 1870 Ė 1900 (the Industrial Revolution)
&#61607; US had the highest job related fatality rate of any industrialized nation in the world.
&#61607; Most workers put in a 10 hours day and earned 20 Ė 40% less than the minimum necessary for a decent life.
If Unions are busted, history will repeat itself because to put it plainly there is no kindness in unregulated capitalism.
Ask anyone on Wall Street, pure capitalisms only concern is to make money. Capitalism does not care about products, ethics, boundaries, people, politics, or your rights.
Unions are part of the machinery in our society that helps regulate capitalism; this is good for the health of our economy.
For those of you who take an anti union stand, donít be so naive, corporations are good at games and this is a calculated game. It may take them time but the end result is very lucrative, your rights and benefits are worth quite a lot of money. Get it?
You know, every time a subject like this comes up, you liberals turn to extremes. If we don't support unions, we will go back to the early 1900's where children work 12 hour days. If we eliminate abortion, we will go back to hanger coat alleys. If we remove affirmative action, then we will return to the days of slavery and discrimination. If we try to save Medicare, then we are pushing granny off the cliff. If we permit religion in our society outside of the church, them we can expect American Taliban's.

It's not a wonder why nobody takes you seriously with this approach. Our ice men provided us ice so we could have refrigeration, but we abandoned them with the discovery of freon. Shoe men used to provide us with horse shoes so our animals can provide transportation. We've had cars for over 100 years now. Ditch diggers were replaced by backhoes. Should we honor those ditch diggers by resisting modern mechanics?

Everything had it's value for it's time, but time moved on. for every positive unions have provided us, we can come up with dozens of negatives we must deal with in the modern day. Unions are just about over, and it can only benefit us. Not all mind you. Just ask the coal man.
Sam

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

I'm simply stating a fact; money is a powerful motivation xxxrayted.

It's not that I have a blind faith in unions so much, as I have a strong belief in a balance of power.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tipp City Discussions

Search the Tipp City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 26 min Pops 28,641
I dare to care. Let us fairly share! 56 min The Duke of Hazard 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Cool-Hand-Luke 18,501
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 5 hr Insanely Hypocritical 31,015
craphole with red truck (Aug '08) 6 hr Janet Harrison 33
The Fed is dumping illegals. 10 hr The Duke of Hazard 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 20 hr gertrud 227
•••
•••
•••
•••

Tipp City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••