Death penalty denies fair trial, Asto...

Death penalty denies fair trial, Astorga lawyer argues

There are 5 comments on the KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Death penalty denies fair trial, Astorga lawyer argues. In it, KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico reports that:

The man accused of fatally shooting Bernalillo County sheriff's Deputy James McGrane was in court again today this time trying to avoid exclude the death penalty when he goes to trial.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRQE Albuquerque and New Mexico.

Rosella

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Mar 11, 2008
I think they should give him the death sentence he killed someone. what makes him think he should be alive.
Art Gonzales

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Mar 11, 2008
I believe in a fair and equitable jurisprudence to seek the death penalty for people who intentionally kill peace officers in the state of New Mexico. When voters go to the poles, most people want a judiciary who metes out justice in the best interest of the community. If our law enforcement personnel is not safe, neither are you. If pepole are willing to look outside a vacum, we can send a clear message to would be murderers. If we do not seek the death penalty against murderers it sends a very crystal clear message to them that our Criminal Justice System is soft on crime. Is that what we want? Absolutely not!!! Let's do what is right for our community as a whole. Maintain a conservative approach to the death penalty by sending a message that if you kill people in New Mexico the potential for the death penalty is very real and possible.
Art Gonzales

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Mar 11, 2008
Too much crime goes unpunished in the state of New Mexico. The murder of Deputy Mcgrain is no exception. If your husband, brother, father, mother, grandchild, etc; is murdered it is then and only then that it affects you closer to home. Please do what's right for our community and state. Send a crystal clear message to would be murderers that this type of criminal behavior will not be tolerated or condoned but prosecuted to the fullest recorse of the law which includes death. The bible says "an eye for an eye". Let's exercise our constitutional rights to their potential. Thanks, Art Gonzales
Joann Gonzales

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 14, 2008
I totally agree that the death penalty is unconstitutional and serves as a revenge mechanism for most people. I also don't think that jurors should have the authority to make the decision if a person lives or dies, they are regular ordinary individuals just like the accused and in some cases commit the same crime or somewhat the same crime.
The death penalty is bias in itself if you look back especially this year at some of the cases where the death penalty wasn't even a choice in some of the cases.(e.g. There has been cases where mothers/fathers have drowned or shot/suffocated 5 or more of their children and some even got away with it others are serving 2-5 years, come on, this is 5 or more individuals killed the same day. Another example, young children raped then barried alive or shackled for up to two years and again the death penalty not a choice.
In this case first of all they haven't even described motive. If Mr. Astorga was high on something do you really think the death penalty is fair? What I do is I put myself or a family member in that persons case, and If I made a bad choice one day by commiting such a crime I sure as hell wouldn't want to be tried with the death penalty.
Proud New Mexican

United States

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Fair? Is if fair to ask someone to put themselves in danger by protecting you in law enforcement, and know that the consequences of taking your life is not different than killing a crack dealer? Fairness went out the window when Astorga allegedly pulled the trigger. If you don't want to be put to death don't do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tijeras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debbie Swenerton, Animal Rescue Worker, Accused... (Dec '12) 4 hr Squach 16
Looking for Information Mar 30 Error 404 1
News Baby's remains found in box in empty Tijeras lo... (Mar '10) Feb '18 Rain 44
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Feb '18 Autozone Employee 15
News Prisoner in Los Lunas dies, cause to be determined (Jan '13) Dec '17 Mazie320 3
News Piedra gets 5 1/2 years (Mar '11) Oct '17 PullDaCovers 45
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Sep '17 HRresident 197

Tijeras Jobs

Personal Finance

Tijeras Mortgages