Ohio man violated women's privacy with secret photos, police sa...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Authorities in Ohio say a medical center technician secretly made dozens of photos and videos of women and girls undressing and during other private moments.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 6, 2010

Since: Dec 09

Columbus, OH

#1 Feb 5, 2010
Quote- "Aguirre's public defender says police had no reason to search the digital memory cards on Aguirre's phones during a traffic stop."

Apparently, they did...
SomeoneWhoKnowsB etter

Canal Winchester, OH

#2 Feb 5, 2010
"Aguirre's public defender says police had no reason to search the digital memory cards on Aguirre's phones during a traffic stop."

If it was just a routine traffic stop, I'd tend to agree with them. I'm assuming (though the article doesn't say) that this is how they found out that he had the images in question? If so, expect the case to be thrown out (rightfully so).
Sum Tim Wong

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 5, 2010
I just don't see the picture herew?
Concerned Mother

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 5, 2010
I am sure that your opinion would be exactly the same if that was your minor child on the memory card, right?!!!
Topper

Chillicothe, OH

#5 Feb 5, 2010
Mobbarelli wrote:
Quote- "Aguirre's public defender says police had no reason to search the digital memory cards on Aguirre's phones during a traffic stop."
Apparently, they did...
U.S. Supreme Court just ruled Police can NOT search your cellphone during a routine arrest without a search warrant.....
This guy is guilty as sin, BUT he won't be prosecuted

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 5, 2010
SomeoneWhoKnowsBetter wrote:
"Aguirre's public defender says police had no reason to search the digital memory cards on Aguirre's phones during a traffic stop."
If it was just a routine traffic stop, I'd tend to agree with them. I'm assuming (though the article doesn't say) that this is how they found out that he had the images in question? If so, expect the case to be thrown out (rightfully so).
I know they had no probable cause, I was just making light of the fact that he had evidence on his phone, so there WAS reason to look at it. They just had no right to. And yes, it does mean that the guy will probably get off.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 5, 2010
Why are they searching his phone during a traffic stop?

And what are those 'other private moments'?

This article creates more questions than it answers.
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 5, 2010
Topper wrote:
<quoted text>
U.S. Supreme Court just ruled Police can NOT search your cellphone during a routine arrest without a search warrant.....
This guy is guilty as sin, BUT he won't be prosecuted
Actually it was the all-Republican Ohio Supreme Court, but you have the holding right. Police can search but they need a warrant based on reasonable suspicion that they'll find evidence of a crime. The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches.
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#12 Feb 5, 2010
I meant to say a warrant based on probable cause.
Danno From Powell

Columbus, OH

#13 Feb 5, 2010
ohio lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it was the all-Republican Ohio Supreme Court, but you have the holding right. Police can search but they need a warrant based on reasonable suspicion that they'll find evidence of a crime. The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches.
A traffic stop alone within it's self does not constitute probable cause end of story. That is unless your the Powell, Ohio Police Department and aren't aware that a room full of people are listening to your traffic stop on a cell phone which stops you dead in your tracks when they let the officers know they're calling the officer's supervisor.

It doesn't matter what the make up of the ruling body is they protected the rights of the individual during a traffic stop. This stops jack booted thugs like the Powell Ohio Police Department from going through someone's car absolutely no reason at all.
Just A Thought

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 5, 2010
Texas wrote:
go to www.advertiser-tribune.com for full story
This still doesn't explain what prompted the officer to look in his cell phone.
LBG

Zanesville, OH

#15 Feb 5, 2010
ohio lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it was the all-Republican Ohio Supreme Court, but you have the holding right. Police can search but they need a warrant based on reasonable suspicion that they'll find evidence of a crime. The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches.
Cope do whatever they want.

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 5, 2010
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>You had to go there didn't you? Everyone's a comedian on the anonymous internet. There isn't anything funny about this.
Grow up.
dave

Columbus, OH

#17 Feb 6, 2010
Concerned Mother wrote:
I am sure that your opinion would be exactly the same if that was your minor child on the memory card, right?!!!
doesnt matter what your or anyone opinion is...the law says you cant just search what ever some stupid cops wants to....so this search will be tossed out and he will go free, becouse some stupid cop doesnt follow the law.
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#19 Feb 6, 2010
Today's story says the man pleaded no contest. He either is not getting competent legal representation or he isn't listening -- one or the other.
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#20 Feb 6, 2010
Today's story also says his public defender "hasnt ruled out" relying on an Ohio Supreme Court case holding that police have no right to search cell phone contents after a traffic stop. That's like saying you "havent ruled out" actually doing your job.
JHC

Columbus, OH

#21 Feb 6, 2010
Just another example of corrupt cops. They'll do anything, break any laws, to get an arrest so they can brag when they get back to the PD.

Why do these people hate the Constitution?
BAN

Columbus, OH

#22 Feb 6, 2010
he will go free but at the very least his reputation is ruined and he will lose his job. hopefully he will get arrested again soon. cops are stupid.
Lawyer Too

Columbus, OH

#23 Feb 6, 2010
dave wrote:
<quoted text> doesnt matter what your or anyone opinion is...the law says you cant just search what ever some stupid cops wants to....so this search will be tossed out and he will go free, becouse some stupid cop doesnt follow the law.
Well. I would not take that result as a given. As a lawyer I hope the guy is getting the competent representation he needs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tiffin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 12 min Dindu Nuffins 30,480
Drug suspect dies after hitting tree (Jun '08) Aug 21 Celleste 5
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
Who is Willard's Scumbags Aug 9 MAH 2
Suspected burglar arrested shortly after incident Aug 9 MAH 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul '14 They cannot kill ... 231
•••
•••
Tiffin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Tiffin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Tiffin People Search