First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Alumnus of TiHi

AOL

#1 Oct 28, 2010
When I moved to Ti as a reluctant teenager several people approached me and said,“Welcome to God's Country!”
“What's so great about this place?” I'd think,“It's the sticks. They roll up the sidewalks at night. There's nothing to do. Harumph!” I'd come up from the city where I imagined there would be lots to do all the time. Well, there probably wasn't; it wasn't that big a city and it's a true fact that no matter how much there is to do, teenagers can find excuses to have “Nothing to Do”. But that's a story for another time.
No one had ever told me they lived in God's Country before. It was just so curious to hear, and I heard it from lots of people many times over.
Gradually I began to understand that these good people, mill workers, farmers, woodsmen, lots of folks who had no visible talent or calling and lived “by the seat of their pants” doing whatever was needed to keep themselves and families together. They REALLY BELIVED that by some happy accident of birth they were privileged to live in God's Country. Yes, Ticonderoga. On the Hague Road, Black Point, Streetroad, back of the Mill, Montcalm St. They came from all over. And they loved where they were and they were proud to be from Ti, proud to be Americans.
I read TiTopix, making some sort or connection to the place where I graduated high school and started my first job, and I don't find that old attitude I used to know.
I suppose the country where our leader thinks of us, the voters, as “the enemy”, where our economy has systematically been ravaged and daily there are more takers than there are toilers it's to be expected that the national depression has infected what I affectionately refer to as “the sticks” a place which I will always be proud to think of as the place that shaped me as who I am today, even though I don't get there much anymore. And I hope that someday soon you good people of Ticonderoga, Putnam, Crown Point, Port Henry will again begin to think of yourselves as blessed and privileged to walk in the footsteps of proud Americans who built this country. The legacy of those who lived and died along Lake Champlain is that (at least for the time being) we still walk free. It's time now for us to stand and defend those who fought and died for us so long ago in the Champlain Valley.
thank you

Lake George, NY

#2 Oct 28, 2010
I am one of the fortunate ones also. I have lived here for my entire life and wouldn't have it any other way. Yes I have had the opportunity to travel away from this great land but always manage to find my way back. It's nice to hear of someone else out there that appreciates our little "neck of the woods". Please keep in mind that the majority of posters on this forum would complain if it was raining money so take it all with a grain of salt and rest assured that it is still a happy and comfortable place to live and raise a family.
very proud too

Swanton, VT

#3 Oct 28, 2010
Fantastic post, Alumnus. And I agree big time-
Love my little town I grew up in and all the memories. They even have a song Ticonderoga Moon by Orleans as if that wasn't proof enough of a wonderful place on earth.:)
very proud too

Swanton, VT

#4 Oct 28, 2010

(the only version available but it's raw and sweet and real)-
Walt Chapleau

Louisville, KY

#5 Oct 29, 2010
Alumnus of TiHi...Thank you!!! My career has caused me to live in many places, from rural areas to metropolitan. But for economics, I would be living in Ti. I have found that only faces change, not the general dynamics of any city or town. The same things that are complained about in Ti (government, good old boys, corruption, drugs) are present in every place that I have lived from Long Island to the west. Those who say this isn't true, have never had to work with the officials of other towns and cities or the legislators and bureaucrats of the different states. The kids in Ti would have plenty to do if they were more active outdoors instead of wanting to be entertained. While growing up in Ti, my friends and I knew every inch of the mountains around Ti, knew every fishing hole in the two lakes, Wicker Brook, Trout Brook, and the "Crick". Those who complain about the area, are not forced to live in Essex County anymore than I am forced to live out of state. It is a matter of choice. Thanks again to everyone who support the town we love.
Music Man

Bolton Landing, NY

#6 Oct 29, 2010
Love the song, anyyone know the story behind it? I love Ticonderoga. It is my hometown. I love the beautiful park, the old buildings, the good people. It's home, it's filled with great memories of my childhood. I remember going to ST Mary's school and walking past that great bakery. I remember all the great stores downtown. Remember how beautiful it was at Christmas. It was like a postcard. I have faith that we can all bring Ti back to those days if we can put down the attacks, support our neighbors and work together to bring our hometown to the place it once was. I too have travel and lived in many other places. I looked forward to driving home and seeing this town is the valley where I my home will always be. Thank you Walt for reminding us all how great this place is.
alum girl

Swanton, VT

#7 Oct 29, 2010
MM, I only know that Orleans was in our area back in the day and was inspired to write the tune. Cool, no?

Here's another great tune by them, better quality...the whole album was excellent...I still have it.:)

&NR =1

Does anyone remember the band from our town called The Freedom? They changed it from the New Freedom? John Gibson...Johnny Porter..Billy Quinn...I think Brent Vosberg and Jeff Connors? They used to have practice up the street from where I lived...excellent bunch of musicians. Point being J. Porter could wail on the drums...I remember him playing Wipe Out.

Gotta love the 70's....the music was the best-

enjoy!
the crick

Cobleskill, NY

#8 Oct 29, 2010
Walt Chapleau wrote:
Alumnus of TiHi...Thank you!!! My career has caused me to live in many places, from rural areas to metropolitan. But for economics, I would be living in Ti. I have found that only faces change, not the general dynamics of any city or town. The same things that are complained about in Ti (government, good old boys, corruption, drugs) are present in every place that I have lived from Long Island to the west. Those who say this isn't true, have never had to work with the officials of other towns and cities or the legislators and bureaucrats of the different states. The kids in Ti would have plenty to do if they were more active outdoors instead of wanting to be entertained. While growing up in Ti, my friends and I knew every inch of the mountains around Ti, knew every fishing hole in the two lakes, Wicker Brook, Trout Brook, and the "Crick". Those who complain about the area, are not forced to live in Essex County anymore than I am forced to live out of state. It is a matter of choice. Thanks again to everyone who support the town we love.
You know, Walt, the "Crick" is now Lake George. We lived on the "Crick" growing up. The old homes on the East shore of the "Crick" have sold from $204,000.00 to $380,000.00 that I am aware of. Folks from the cities have come to Ticonderoga and purchased these homes as "lake houses" 2nd homes. One couple purchased 3 of these homes. The "Crick" surely grew in value since you were a young man living here, Walt. Taxes, OUCH!
Love It Here

Howes Cave, NY

#9 Oct 29, 2010
I've done a fair amount of traveling and grew up in a metropolitan area. I camped at Roger's Rock for a lot of years and when I got the opportunity moved here to live. We truly are blessed to live here in 'God's Country'.
A Unique Place

Howes Cave, NY

#10 Oct 29, 2010
How many towns have ships named after them? Have access to two beautiful lakes? Have an historic fort? Clean air? Clean Water? Mountains to enjoy from a distance and to hike and play on? Have a country club? A WalMart and Lowes? Have an airport? Two free public launch ramps (one with a free pump-out). How about Amtrak? I could go on, but yes, I do love living here in Ticonderoga!
Longdong Silver

United States

#11 Oct 29, 2010
No jobs, bad drugs and ugly hookers. I'd hate to see what Satans country looks like.
Donald

Bolton Landing, NY

#12 Oct 29, 2010
Well (Longdong) you can move and I will pack your clothes. Ticonderoga is a great town great people with the exception of a few and your one of them. I promise you we will not miss you Longdong or not???
snatchluvr

United States

#13 Oct 29, 2010
i think longdong was smart and already left. ticonderoga...essex county is a cesspool. i never knew feces could walk and talk but the proof is right in town.
get going

Cobleskill, NY

#14 Oct 29, 2010
snatchluvr wrote:
i think longdong was smart and already left. ticonderoga...essex county is a cesspool. i never knew feces could walk and talk but the proof is right in town.
Why don't you pack your bags and get out of Ticonderoga, rather get out of NYState? Our welfare bills would be less and you would be happier. Get going, the sooner the better. You are a great big part of what gives Ticonderoga a bad name, people just like you. Illiterate, uneducated, welfare kept, get moving on.
thankful

Crown Point, NY

#15 Oct 30, 2010
Born in the city, raised in Glens Falls, moved around and settled here.. a great place to live and raise a family. There may be better or even worse places to be, who cares, I like it here!
Music Man

Bolton Landing, NY

#16 Oct 30, 2010
Be the change you want to see in the world. Negative energy breeds more negative energy. You can see it here- someone starts a topic and says something negative- 50 negative replys pop up- Look at this post- all positive except a few. Why spew that verbal hurtful garbage into the world, isn't there enough? How about doing a good deed today for someone and see if you feel different. We are all in this community together and we all can be a powerful change.
Solution

Schenectady, NY

#17 Oct 30, 2010
Pay it forward!
just me

United States

#18 Oct 30, 2010
I am nearing retirement age, and have started considering where I want to live then, people come up with many places and reasons to go there, and even though i dont like the cold, I love it here. I have moved away a few times in my life and always come back,for me there is just no place like home ,I love this sleepy little town. I have to travel 45 minutes to work everyday,love coming home to Ti every night.Looking forward to retirement so I can spend more time enjoying the area and appreciating what we have here, there are so many that would give anything to be here and so many take it for granted.Be thankful for what you have here.
Walt Chapleau

Louisville, KY

#19 Oct 30, 2010
Music man...you hit the nail on the head, although some others might bennefit from the hit. You know the old saying, the grass always looks greener. Chalk up the negative comments to immaturity, neivete, and lack of exposure to the outside world. At least in Ti, you can feel safe walking down a street at night. If you frequent the bars, you don't have to worry about getting shot or knifed. Yes, there are fights and brawals, but they are kids play compaired to many I've seen in other places. Despite the nay sayers, Ti is a great place to live with wonderful people if you choose to associate with the right ones. I always look forward to going home. I am lucky that I have a close knit family in Ti who always make me feel welcome and look forward to our visits. One day I will move home.
Alumnus of TiHi

AOL

#20 Oct 30, 2010
Thanks Everyone! I'm so glad to read the postings of the attitude I remember- people who are glad and grateful to be in that beautiful, serene part of the world where the air is clear, especially this crisp, colorful time of the year, the people still feel a sense of community, and that they are blessed to be able to arise in a morning they can look forward to without the hassles of traffic, noise, dirt and street violence. In my "down times" I imagine strolling Montcalm St just as my grandparents and even their grandparents did. It's a nice feeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ti School Solar Farm 5 hr Accounting 101 7
Local nark n prostitute busted 7 hr Shes out 7
need car fixed Tue Good man 5
bad vet servise by james mack and noel Tue Scumybag 24
Why is the hospital closing rooms and its tryin... (Apr '15) Tue Sad 27
Who Apr 25 Lawyer 3
Guy in sporting goods Apr 25 Lawyer 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ticonderoga Mortgages