Posted in the Ticonderoga Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
You have been warned

Ticonderoga, NY

#1 Oct 21, 2013
(14) Comments

QUEENSBURY — SUNY Adirondack students seem to be enjoying living on campus in the new dorm.

However, some have apparently been been enjoying it a little too much — as there have been close to two dozen drug and alcohol incidents from Sept. 1 through Oct. 16, according to the daily incident log required by the federal Clery Act.

There was one instance of confiscation of what the college termed “hard drugs,” but did not elaborate.

“We did confiscate suspicious paraphernalia,” said Brian Durant, vice president for academic and student affairs.“The steps we took were in accordance with our Residence Life Handbook. We feel the steps that were taken were proactive and will mitigate future risks.

Durant added that to his knowledge, the college has not confiscated heroin.“There has not been any further evidence of hard drugs in the residence hall,” he said.

There were also five incidents of disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace, five of larceny, five harassment and three of criminal mischief, according to the log.

The college in September opened its 400-bed dormitory, which contains mostly four-bedroom suites as well as a fitness center, game room, laundry room, lounges and classrooms. The $25 million facility was part of a college initiative to boost enrollment by attracting more students from a wider area.
Spike

Troy, NY

#2 Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, not happy about this proposed use for the old Lowes building......no good can come of it.

Since: Oct 13

Schenectady, NY

#3 Oct 21, 2013
Sadly, only a town meeting, in which we talk to our representatives can fix this. This is a very important subject, and I commend whomever brought it up. We could convert this Lowe's into aa large variety of many more usefull buildings. I am disgusted with the choices this town's representatives are making. Are you?
reality check

Ticonderoga, NY

#4 Oct 21, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
We could convert this Lowe's into aa large variety of many more usefull buildings. I am disgusted with the choices this town's representatives are making. Are you?
Who is this "we" you are referring to? You and some other private investors? Buy it, and do it.

The Town has not in charge of the future use of the Lowe's building. It's called privately owned property.
basic civics

Ticonderoga, NY

#5 Oct 21, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
Sadly, only a town meeting, in which we talk to our representatives can fix this.
Afraid to speak to Town Board members individually or publicly at the monthly board meetings, huh?

If you want a Town Meeting form of government, move to the east shore of Lake Champlain. Or change the NY State laws pertaining to local government structure. Your choice.

Schenectady, NY

#6 Oct 21, 2013
@ reality check: Our town could buy it. Or perhaps you forgot you pay taxes.

@basic civics: We have a right to assembly. And also, I do not care about board meetings because I am not interested in the board. I am interested in this town, and my fellow townsfolk, and their well-being. If this is an issue, I only hope you can one day you may also feel the joy of helping others and making an effort to change this town for the better.
reality check

Ticonderoga, NY

#7 Oct 21, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
@ reality check: Our town could buy it. Or perhaps you forgot you pay taxes.
Great idea! Let's take a high value property off the tax rolls. Absolutely brilliant!

Yes, my taxes are paid in full. And no, I wouldn't want them spent on such a poorly thought out idea.

Schenectady, NY

#8 Oct 21, 2013
@reality check: Now what if they opened up a large venue for entertainment? That, for one, would definitely bring up your precious tourism, and open up job oppurtunities. Several store fronts could open up inside, with a large lounge area/ cafeteria, and a stage for performances. Just one of the few thing this town needs. What is it you want done with this building? Our town needs it.
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#9 Oct 21, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
@reality check: Now what if they opened up a large venue for entertainment? That, for one, would definitely bring up your precious tourism, and open up job oppurtunities. Several store fronts could open up inside, with a large lounge area/ cafeteria, and a stage for performances. Just one of the few thing this town needs. What is it you want done with this building? Our town needs it.
Surly this is far better a use than re-purposing this obviously commercial building for a use that would only propagate an increase in low income people in Ti. There are already enough poor people here now we don't need further competition,fill that building with something to create jobs for our kids,and taxes for our coffers! Perhaps a "destination"store like Cabella's or bass pro shops,I agree with you.
reality check

Ticonderoga, NY

#10 Oct 21, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
@reality check: Now what if they opened up a large venue for entertainment?
If by "they" you mean private business owners and investors, I'm all for it.

Get going on your market research, business plan development and financing. Buy it and do it. I look forward to celebrating your success.
You have been warned

Ticonderoga, NY

#12 Oct 21, 2013
More of the point I was getting at is the Jim M. projects for housing students for the college. It's being proved in Glens Falls area about the drugs and other activities that are taking place in the dorms. What is the town board thinking, that this wouldn't raise the drug issues of Ticonderoga.

Schenectady, NY

#13 Oct 21, 2013
@reality check: It's the low income people that are destroying this town. Make them high-income, and we become a very sufficient town, crime drops, and our town's economy raises because people now are getting more money to spend, paying more taxes, and increasing our town's revenue. I do not want to buy this building because I do not have a reason to buy it, however, I do thank you for your suggestion. I merely want to help people help this town. Our town should buy it and use it as a catalyst for our economy.

@CP Tax Payer: Please learn to expand your vocabulary, as "moron", is not a word that describes me. I'm sorry I am actively involved in the business and well being of this town. Perhaps it would do you some good to involve yourself as well
reality check

Ticonderoga, NY

#14 Oct 22, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
@reality check: I merely want to help people help this town. Our town should buy it and use it as a catalyst for our economy.
Convince the Town Board. Then come up with a reality and market-based plan of use for the building, financing for the Town to purchase same.

Good luck.
basic civics

Ticonderoga, NY

#15 Oct 22, 2013
Consistency & comprehension FAIL.

Guess what? Your representatives are the Town Board.
The Hero Rising wrote:
Sadly, only a town meeting, in which we talk to our representatives can fix this.
The Hero Rising wrote:
@basic civics: We have a right to assembly. And also, I do not care about board meetings because I am not interested in the board.

Schenectady, NY

#16 Oct 22, 2013
@basic civics: So, what you're saying, is that a town board meeting is a town meeting? I'm quite sure that the insertion of the word "board", means board members only, OR, the topic discussed is about the board. I am terribly sorry your comprehension skills are lacking. If you are using sarcasm, your use of the word "consistentcy" and the word "fail" are incorrect, as I have remained consistent throughout my posts, urging people to think about what our town needs to become a better place. If you are using it to describe yourself, I hope you may overcome this. I am not here to smear anyone. I am not here for drama. I am not here for myself. I am here for YOU. Open your eyes, my friend.
poster

Mineville, NY

#17 Oct 22, 2013
The Hero Rising wrote:
@basic civics: So, what you're saying, is that a town board meeting is a town meeting? I'm quite sure that the insertion of the word "board", means board members only, OR, the topic discussed is about the board. I am terribly sorry your comprehension skills are lacking. If you are using sarcasm, your use of the word "consistentcy" and the word "fail" are incorrect, as I have remained consistent throughout my posts, urging people to think about what our town needs to become a better place. If you are using it to describe yourself, I hope you may overcome this. I am not here to smear anyone. I am not here for drama. I am not here for myself. I am here for YOU. Open your eyes, my friend.
Why put others down for their opinions if you claim you are not here to smear them or create drama? Most people in this area know that board meetings are for the public and their input is considered.You claim you are here for the general public and for the betterment of the town,I think you should go to a board meeting and express your ideas.Posting on here won't get your ideas "out there".
Happy Day 1

Ticonderoga, NY

#18 Oct 22, 2013
Too bad the 'Town Board' doesn't put in another GROCERY store other then Walmart. That is what we have NEEDED since Tops left. If Price Chopper or Hannaford, or Shaw's Supermarket would come in, competitive pricing, maybe Walmart could stock better 'qualities' of food and PRODUCE!!

That is REALLY WHAT TICONDEROGA NEEDS, not dorm's for college, etc.....

JUST a thought!!!! ANYONE ELSE AGREE???

NEEDED...MORE JOBS...NOT LESS!!!
market forces

Lynn, MA

#19 Oct 22, 2013
The Town Board doesn't "put" any business in place.

Private investors acting on market opportunities do.
Happy Day 1 wrote:
Too bad the 'Town Board' doesn't put in another GROCERY store other then Walmart. That is what we have NEEDED since Tops left. If Price Chopper or Hannaford, or Shaw's Supermarket would come in, competitive pricing, maybe Walmart could stock better 'qualities' of food and PRODUCE!!
That is REALLY WHAT TICONDEROGA NEEDS, not dorm's for college, etc.....
JUST a thought!!!! ANYONE ELSE AGREE???
NEEDED...MORE JOBS...NOT LESS!!!
Good job

Ticonderoga, NY

#20 Oct 22, 2013
You could put in a movie theatre, a restaurant, many shops, a greenhouse. Look at Million Dollar mile. They converted an old building into 10 or more shops. This building if handled right , could be a great attraction for business. I think about the possibilities every time I drive by. I would love to see a that place full of businesses and hundreds of jobs created. Think big people and quit complaining. What stores would you people like to see in there? I would like to see a Dress Barn, Timberland and maybe Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday. Let's stay positive and encourage our board to maybe call the developer and see if they would section the building off and rent to smaller businesses. Then start advertising or contact a broker to fill the building.
really

Ticonderoga, NY

#21 Oct 22, 2013
Good job wrote:
You could put in a movie theatre, a restaurant, many shops, a greenhouse. Look at Million Dollar mile. They converted an old building into 10 or more shops. This building if handled right , could be a great attraction for business. I think about the possibilities every time I drive by. I would love to see a that place full of businesses and hundreds of jobs created. Think big people and quit complaining. What stores would you people like to see in there? I would like to see a Dress Barn, Timberland and maybe Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday. Let's stay positive and encourage our board to maybe call the developer and see if they would section the building off and rent to smaller businesses. Then start advertising or contact a broker to fill the building.
When do people open their eyes and see Ticonderoga is going down the tubes. People are moving out of the area ( younger generations) only the older people are staying around look at the school enrollment it's proof of the pudding.The tourist don't even come to Ticonderoga anymore.Between the Adirondack park agency not wanting to let anything to the region, The older people of Ticonderoga looks at it the same way , and the board doesn't want to ruffle feathers of trying to promote more snowmobiling for winter or 4 wheelers in summer time. The board needs to go out of the area and see what other towns are doing to promote business to their area's . Like tug hill , old forge

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Girls cutting 31 min No they dont 4
What to do 34 min Troy Albany Schen... 5
Ti Code Enforcement 37 min Enforcement Officer 14
Growing Marijuana in Ti 44 min And also 11
Gas Prices in TI 1 hr best advice 11
High School Football 4 hr pumpkin 19
more b.s 15 hr lol 19
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match

Ticonderoga People Search