Disbanding the Ti PD
Careful

Crown Point, NY

#24 Jan 13, 2013
Sons of Anarchy wrote:
The town police dont make me feel safe. I think the bad guys are glad their here, resulting in less State and Sherrif presence.
Many feel this way.
Neighborhood Watch

San Diego, CA

#25 Jan 15, 2013
I think that IF we are to keep a police department, then the town AND the police department Together should organize a neighborhood watch program for all neighborhoods that are interested in having one.

The neighborhood could work with the police department, scheduling "watches" and "patrols," day and night.

There is entirely too much really nasty stuff happening in Ti. Did the shooting on Montcalm Street last year not teach us anything? Do we need a bigger tragedy?
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#26 Jan 15, 2013
I don't encourage neighborhood 'watches' in smaller towns. It gives nosey neighbors a mandate to be even that much nosier. Turn around and your neighbor is looking over your shoulder scrutinizing everything that goes on in your yard.

foments bad feelings and weird vibes.
Neighborhood Watch

San Diego, CA

#27 Jan 23, 2013
Point taken. It's unfortunate, but it seems there's always that one neighbor (or two) that is a problem for everyone else--filthy hosue/yard or drugs or crime, etc.

However, I do think that harsher sentences for criminals is a good financial investment for Ticnderoga! AKA, run them out of town, one way or another.
Jackal wrote:
I don't encourage neighborhood 'watches' in smaller towns. It gives nosey neighbors a mandate to be even that much nosier. Turn around and your neighbor is looking over your shoulder scrutinizing everything that goes on in your yard.
foments bad feelings and weird vibes.
Suggestion

Ticonderoga, NY

#28 Jan 23, 2013
Maybe we can just reduce the budget, reduce the force. One or two per year until a realistic size and budget is achieved. Do not disband them that would be reckless, keys reduce and get a realistic force. A working honorable group of peace officers.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#29 Jan 23, 2013
Neighborhood Watch wrote:
Point taken. It's unfortunate, but it seems there's always that one neighbor (or two) that is a problem for everyone else--filthy hosue/yard or drugs or crime, etc.
However, I do think that harsher sentences for criminals is a good financial investment for Ticnderoga! AKA, run them out of town, one way or another.
<quoted text>
one thing with the 'harsher' sentence idea is that who ends up paying for the 'harsher' sentences? the taxpayer. Did you know that the United States leads world in number of people incarcerated? That's pretty absurd for a nation that bills itself as 'land of the free'...
So sorry

Burlington, VT

#30 Jan 23, 2013
First, you don't get to be free if you are dealing drugs, molesting children, stealing from others, raping women, beating up people, etc. etc. Don't you think that that is a good thing?

Maybe the U.S. has the most idiots in the world. It wouldn't surprise me.

Just do yourself a favor; do a little research on countries with tougher penal systems. What you will find is that citizens in those countries are much, much less inclined to deal drugs, molest children, steal, rape, assault, murder etc. etc. Because, they know if they get caught, they will get something much more than a slap on the wrist!! And, that's a good thing.

We will never be truly free until we can feel relatively safe; most people don't.
Jackal wrote:
<quoted text>
one thing with the 'harsher' sentence idea is that who ends up paying for the 'harsher' sentences? the taxpayer. Did you know that the United States leads world in number of people incarcerated? That's pretty absurd for a nation that bills itself as 'land of the free'...
Neighborhood Watch

San Diego, CA

#31 Jan 24, 2013
You don't suppose that many of these criminals are ALREADY receiving "free food, shelter, and medical care?" Let's be a bit realistic!

In fact, I wonder what the statistics are.?? Are the people who are arrested, and arrested, on the system? Living off the taxpayer anyway? While they repeatedly break the law and repeatedly get a hand slap?
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you spend your time studying law and spend less time posting comments on this forum? While you are at it, research the costs of incarceration per day and the costs of court trials.Talk to any judge or law enforcement officer and they will tell you that it just doesn't make financial sense to put the offenders in jail where they receive free food,shelter, and medical care.
Also do you know the added response time for the other law enforcement can be a matter of life or death? There is not always a local Trooper or Deputy in the area.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#32 Jan 25, 2013
one of the reasons that there are so many incarcerated people is the ridiculous drug laws on the books. Personally, I don't view marijuana as this great satan drug. Compared to some proscribed drugs, marijuana is nothing. Have you ever given any thought to this: privately owned prisons are big business in the United States. Is it that large a stretch to realize that some people are in prison simply because it's good business to have them there? How many people have been exonerated since 2000 by DNA evidence review, people that were on Death Row and had maintained their innocence for decades.
Blind faith in anything will get you killed and that includes are incredibly flawed legal system.
Full Circle

Burlington, VT

#33 Jan 25, 2013
Yes, there are ridiculous drug laws with ridiculous sentences that come along with them.

Yes, there is an epidemic in this country of people using and selling prescription drugs--much of it paid for by Medicaid/Medicare.(Which should REALLY piss off the taxpayers.)

The private prison industry is a very corrupt one. We all know that.

Yes, it is ridiculous to sentence a recreational marijuana user to, for example, 2 years and sentence a child molester to less than a year.

Doesn't this all bring us full circle?? Seriously--if there are so many reasons not to incarcerate people, or to give repeat (and repeat) offenders very light sentences, Then why arrest and prosecute them in the first place?

Which means, why do we need to pay a police force, a court system, legal representaation, when, in the end, we won't be using the jail/prison system. After all, and especially in Essex County, most of those costs are, once again, paid for by the taxpayer.??

Indeed, You made a very good argument for disbanding the p.d.!
PD budget

San Diego, CA

#34 Jan 26, 2013
So, my understanding is that the PD budget alone is most of Ti's total budget. Is that true?

And, if so, I'm wondering how much of the PD budget is "pension" dollars. THAT itself needs a careful look!!
Suggestion wrote:
Maybe we can just reduce the budget, reduce the force. One or two per year until a realistic size and budget is achieved. Do not disband them that would be reckless, keys reduce and get a realistic force. A working honorable group of peace officers.
Watch the Dollars Flow

Ticonderoga, NY

#35 Jan 26, 2013
According to the NYS Comptrollers website the average police retirement cost is 28.9% of payroll.
Live Within our Means

Burlington, VT

#36 Jan 26, 2013
Something has to be done. We all have to live within our means. Meaning, our local government has to live within the taxpayers means. And, it seems that that it not happening.

So folks, where do we go from here. Is there indeed a committee of people who are looking into this issue? Seriously looking into this issue? Because, clearly, there needs to be. The taxpayers are bleeding out...
Watch the Dollars Flow wrote:
According to the NYS Comptrollers website the average police retirement cost is 28.9% of payroll.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
amraigas

United States

#37 Jan 26, 2013
are they going out of business amerigas and treadways??
Town Board

San Diego, CA

#38 Jan 28, 2013
That is supposed to be the Board's job. sigh...

So let's look at this a different way. WHO is interested in keeping the p.d. AND who is interested in keeping a p.d. with this many officers? ARE there power players? Is it IP? The Fort? The wealthy landownders with expensive homes/property?

If they are, well then, the rest of Ti needs to rethink their view/strategy for the p.d.

WHAT do you think??
Live Within our Means wrote:
Something has to be done. We all have to live within our means. Meaning, our local government has to live within the taxpayers means. And, it seems that that it not happening.
So folks, where do we go from here. Is there indeed a committee of people who are looking into this issue? Seriously looking into this issue? Because, clearly, there needs to be. The taxpayers are bleeding out...
<quoted text>
obvious

South Glens Falls, NY

#39 Jan 30, 2013
It seems apparent to me that the majority of the voting public in Ti has already spoken loudly and clearly on the subject.

Why else would retired police officers be elected and re-elected to the Town Board?

You're spinning your wheels until the composition of the Board changes.
Very Flawed Logic

Middlebury, VT

#40 Jan 31, 2013
No decent, intelligent people want to serve on that town board. Those people can't run the other way fast enough. So then, what do you end up with? Right...

Besides, it is the people of the town who will ultimately make the decision. And, I'm not hearing overwhelming support for keeping the police department. Too much money, DEFINITELY NOT enough benefit.(Not to mention a long, long history of trouble.) We shall see.
obvious wrote:
It seems apparent to me that the majority of the voting public in Ti has already spoken loudly and clearly on the subject.
Why else would retired police officers be elected and re-elected to the Town Board?
You're spinning your wheels until the composition of the Board changes.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#41 Feb 3, 2013
Very Flawed Logic wrote:
No decent, intelligent people want to serve on that town board. Those people can't run the other way fast enough. So then, what do you end up with? Right...
Besides, it is the people of the town who will ultimately make the decision. And, I'm not hearing overwhelming support for keeping the police department. Too much money, DEFINITELY NOT enough benefit.(Not to mention a long, long history of trouble.) We shall see.
<quoted text>
is this because of ethical issues?
Please explain

Burlington, VT

#42 Feb 5, 2013
What does this mean?
Jackal wrote:
<quoted text>
is this because of ethical issues?
I agree

San Diego, CA

#45 Feb 22, 2013
Detailed, complete information posted on a webpage--including a "Comments" and "Questions" section.(With hard copies available for those without internet.)

Then, one person, one vote.
control issue wrote:
<quoted text>]"Discussed by the taxpayers who bother to express their wisshes..." ?! Who wants to be on record for not wanting this police force and then have to deal with them in town or when you call 911? It should be put to private vote after facts are given.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pat Gould and koret 4 hr AnthonyRatBoy 13
lord howe st. bust 10 hr Too funny 52
Cort already replaced old drug dealers with new... 13 hr Funny 4
House trim sought- victorian gingerbread/shutters Wed playa 3
Spring Food Mar 20 no shït 13
useless police Mar 20 wu tang yall 12
Margo Clark Mar 19 Community 11

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance