Disbanding the Ti PD
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Revisit this Issue

San Diego, CA

#1 Jan 9, 2013
A while back there was a discussion about a group of people who are organized and working toward disbanding the Ticonderoga Police Department. There was lots of discussion on this site.

Then, all of a sudden, came the online police blotter. It shows *some* of the work that they do each week, some not. At the time, I was amazed at how many calls they respond to for, well, the same people or kinds of people and the same types of crimes, over and over.

Now, I am rethinking the idea of disbanding the P.D. Why? Why do we have a comparatively large police department to enforce (at THEIR OWN DISCRETION) the law WHEN THE D.A. AND THE JUDGES--local and county--are so quick to give plea deals and then shove the same criminals back into our community. Over and over and over.

Do we really want to pay for this. Because we are paying a LOT OF MONEY, and I'm rethinking: For what??
Daisy

Port Henry, NY

#2 Jan 9, 2013
Revisit this Issue wrote:
A while back there was a discussion about a group of people who are organized and working toward disbanding the Ticonderoga Police Department. There was lots of discussion on this site.
Then, all of a sudden, came the online police blotter. It shows *some* of the work that they do each week, some not. At the time, I was amazed at how many calls they respond to for, well, the same people or kinds of people and the same types of crimes, over and over.
Now, I am rethinking the idea of disbanding the P.D. Why? Why do we have a comparatively large police department to enforce (at THEIR OWN DISCRETION) the law WHEN THE D.A. AND THE JUDGES--local and county--are so quick to give plea deals and then shove the same criminals back into our community. Over and over and over.
Do we really want to pay for this. Because we are paying a LOT OF MONEY, and I'm rethinking: For what??
Why don't you spend your time studying law and spend less time posting comments on this forum? While you are at it, research the costs of incarceration per day and the costs of court trials.Talk to any judge or law enforcement officer and they will tell you that it just doesn't make financial sense to put the offenders in jail where they receive free food,shelter, and medical care.
Also do you know the added response time for the other law enforcement can be a matter of life or death? There is not always a local Trooper or Deputy in the area.
Delusions of Grandeur

Corinth, NY

#3 Jan 9, 2013
Revisit this Issue wrote:
We don't need anymore rednecks out on the street with delusions of grandeur.

"Oh, look at me...I'm a cop, I can do anything, I'm above the law, I'm invincible"

The fewer of these numbnuts on the streets, the better.
Wow Angry Much

Burlington, VT

#4 Jan 9, 2013
A tiny bit defensive, too?

I think this is a subject that the public should most definitely discuss. Especially since there are so many people who are in favor of disbanding the p.d.

The taxpayers that I talk to actually feel that they would rather that their money be spent on harsher sentences--a real and meaningful punishment--rather than the silly display of repeat business at court. I feel that way myself. My entire family feels that way. We are all taxpayers. And, this is what I am hearing from other folks. And I have been talking to people about this issue for several years now.

I'm sorry if the idea of disbanding the p.d. scares some people because it is their job/job security. But, the p.d. budget is a huge share of the town's entire budget. That alone is why we should decide to disband or not. That and the fact that "arrest and release" is not truly "enforcement" of the law. Is it?
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you spend your time studying law and spend less time posting comments on this forum? While you are at it, research the costs of incarceration per day and the costs of court trials.Talk to any judge or law enforcement officer and they will tell you that it just doesn't make financial sense to put the offenders in jail where they receive free food,shelter, and medical care.
Also do you know the added response time for the other law enforcement can be a matter of life or death? There is not always a local Trooper or Deputy in the area.
not all bad

Memphis, TN

#6 Jan 10, 2013
I don't think that people realize just how much the police dept. does here. Hell of alot more than what is on the blotter! Absolute wrong move to disband it...god forbid we have a Sandy Hook incident here. How many more people would die while we waited for the State Police or sheriff to get there? There were a few boneheads in the past, yes, but there is a pretty good and responsible force now.
Daisy

Port Henry, NY

#7 Jan 10, 2013
It has been discussed and it has been decided it was in the best interest of the taxpayers and all others to keep the force intake.There is no threat to my job security no matter which way the town went with this discussion but I will assure you many of your taxpayers will feel real insecure in their homes and their businesses if the force was disbanded.
Revisit this Issue

San Diego, CA

#8 Jan 10, 2013
"It has been discussed..." By whom? "It has been decided..." By whom?

No one asked me to cast a vote on this matter. And, I want a vote on this matter. Again, the p.d. is a HUGE part of the Town's budget, which last I checked, is paid for by the town. And, I think we still live in a democracy.

Scare tactics generally don't work well on north country people. We're not a community of easily frightened people. Maybe, what DOES scare us IS OUR TAX BILLS. We want a one person, one vote election on whether or not to keep the p.d.

One more thing. I want to know WHO it is that trusts the powers that be to make this decision for us? No one I know! Let's CONTINUE TO DISCUSS.
Daisy wrote:
It has been discussed and it has been decided it was in the best interest of the taxpayers and all others to keep the force intake.There is no threat to my job security no matter which way the town went with this discussion but I will assure you many of your taxpayers will feel real insecure in their homes and their businesses if the force was disbanded.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#9 Jan 10, 2013
a police force is a huge expenditure in a municipality's budget. Consider that Ticonderoga is a town of maybe 5600 year round residents, doesn't strike anyone as overkill to have a police force the size that they have, especially in light of the state police and county sheriff presence at any given time?
Since Ticonderoga is just chock full of conscientious fiscal whackaloons, I am actually amazed that the police department has survived this long. Consider neighboring Moriah- a town of right around 5300 year round residents. Their police department consists of two full-time officers, one for days, the other for nights. And that's it.
Lake Placid, as far as I know, is the only other town in Essex County that has a full-time police force and theirs is far smaller than Ticonderoga's as well. Is Ticonderoga that festering a cess pool that they need such a large police presence?
Compare

Hudson, NY

#11 Jan 10, 2013
Jackal wrote:
a police force is a huge expenditure in a municipality's budget. Consider that Ticonderoga is a town of maybe 5600 year round residents, doesn't strike anyone as overkill to have a police force the size that they have, especially in light of the state police and county sheriff presence at any given time?
Since Ticonderoga is just chock full of conscientious fiscal whackaloons, I am actually amazed that the police department has survived this long. Consider neighboring Moriah- a town of right around 5300 year round residents. Their police department consists of two full-time officers, one for days, the other for nights. And that's it.
Lake Placid, as far as I know, is the only other town in Essex County that has a full-time police force and theirs is far smaller than Ticonderoga's as well. Is Ticonderoga that festering a cess pool that they need such a large police presence?
Lake placid pd has 11 full time officers, Ticonderoga full time officers is 7. I got this from Lake Placid website and I bet Ticonderoga gets more arrests than Lake Placid. I am not sure but I can try to get the numbers of arrests. Try to get truthful information before putting misleading info on here. I am unbiased and have been treated fair when I have been pulled over in both towns. I was stopped for speeding in Ticonderoga and for cell phone in Lake placid. I got a ticket in both places and the officers were respectful. It was my fault not theirs. I will own up to my faults and mistakes.
Compare

Hudson, NY

#13 Jan 10, 2013
I also looked at the Ticonderoga Police Blotter and noticed many different arrests of many different people. I saw a few names that are very common but most of the people that I saw were people I have never heard of or I never heard of them getting in trouble in the past. I only looked back as far as October, so maybe the same people you are talking about are before that time. I saw about 5 of the usuals that get into trouble and many different people.
YUM

Greenville, NY

#14 Jan 10, 2013
Randy Bevins wrote:
<quoted text> most join the force just to have the opportunity to have Stephanie Backus blow them.
Can't enough of her? Keep trying the answer will be still NOT IN YOUR LIFETIME HONEY!!!!!
Tells Us Nothing

Burlington, VT

#15 Jan 10, 2013
The number of police officers and/or the number of arrests tells us nothing. First, try taking a class in statistics and also public policy BEFORE you start spewing out meaningless numbers at us.

There are other and bigger issues other than, e.g., seven versus eleven. Lake Placid has a very different culture than Ticonderoga. Generally speaking, differrent values as a community. A different tax base. In short, very difficult to compare, if not impossible.

You simply cannot "show" anything to the public with your personal anecdotes.

The question is: Does Ticonderoga *need* a police department? Do we need 7 officers? And most importantly: What can the taxpayers realistically afford? What CAN we afford?? The fact is this: We can no longer live above our means!
Compare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lake placid pd has 11 full time officers, Ticonderoga full time officers is 7. I got this from Lake Placid website and I bet Ticonderoga gets more arrests than Lake Placid. I am not sure but I can try to get the numbers of arrests. Try to get truthful information before putting misleading info on here. I am unbiased and have been treated fair when I have been pulled over in both towns. I was stopped for speeding in Ticonderoga and for cell phone in Lake placid. I got a ticket in both places and the officers were respectful. It was my fault not theirs. I will own up to my faults and mistakes.
Daisy

Port Henry, NY

#16 Jan 10, 2013
I am thinking this issue has nothing to do with the taxpayers but a vendetta against the police force.This issue has been discussed by the town board numerous times and by the taxpayers who bother to express their wishes with the council members.Yes the burden on the taxpayers is out of hand but consider how much worse it would be if the businesses and their insurance companies decide they can not afford to do business in our towns anymore.Those that believe Lake Placid serve a different culture therefore are entitled to have their local police force are only kidding themselves.Just ask some of our seasonal landowners if they are of a different culture,those who depend on our police force to "watch over" their precious mansions on the lake.
Careful

Crown Point, NY

#17 Jan 11, 2013
I believe a large part of the problem is, Ticonderoga has, for as long as I can remember, had a reputation for crooked politics. Residents feel cheated because of all the "behind closed doors decisions" that have been made in the past. Add to that the insane ammount of money the police force simply wastes and its no wonder the tax payers are fed up. The town needs some leadership that will stand up for the good of the town. That has not been the case in many many years. Do we need a force the size of the present one? The vast majority of honest tax payers and citizens say no. But more important, we need the leadership to control not only the police force, but all the fuitless town employed waste that has caused the people to not trust our town leaders. Ticonderoga is a beautiful place to live, but more and more people can no longer turn thier backs on the crooked ways of the town government. The overstaffed police dept is just a small part of the overall problem.
Revisit this Issue

San Diego, CA

#18 Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for your post!

You have made some very important and valid points. There IS a big, big lack of trust in the leadership of Ticonderoga, including the police department. And, why shouldn't there be? There is a long list of reason WHY TO BE distrustful. Everything from frivilous lawsuits against taxpayers over snowmobile trails to huge, unnecessary expenditures at the school district. Trouble with the police department itself, STILL! On and on...

Ticonderoga could be an even better place to live, much better, BUT it is true: No firm, imaginative, creative, intelligent leadership in decades.

It's so unfortunate that some poster had to "play the vendetta card." It was predictable but still unfortunate. We wish to discuss our town's future. Period.

We can discuss whether or not to keep the police department, whether to disband it entirely, whether to cut it's size.
BUT, I believe we should not discuss the police department WITHOUT discussing the Town's court system. Our P.D. could be the police department of the year, but if our judges and the D.A. are just playing a game of "catch and release" with criminals--including many! repeat offenders--that are most definitely downgrading our community, then we are not looking at the whole picture.
Careful wrote:
I believe a large part of the problem is, Ticonderoga has, for as long as I can remember, had a reputation for crooked politics. Residents feel cheated because of all the "behind closed doors decisions" that have been made in the past. Add to that the insane ammount of money the police force simply wastes and its no wonder the tax payers are fed up. The town needs some leadership that will stand up for the good of the town. That has not been the case in many many years. Do we need a force the size of the present one? The vast majority of honest tax payers and citizens say no. But more important, we need the leadership to control not only the police force, but all the fuitless town employed waste that has caused the people to not trust our town leaders. Ticonderoga is a beautiful place to live, but more and more people can no longer turn thier backs on the crooked ways of the town government. The overstaffed police dept is just a small part of the overall problem.
Daisy

Port Henry, NY

#19 Jan 11, 2013
The whole picture or big picture is you can substitute the town's name with any other municipality and still have the same issues of unsatisfied chronic complainers of any system of government.They go from one topic to another expressing their frustrations in front of a computer screen.Don't like something get out there and do something about it.Get an education and get involved in the politics or community service and you might find less time to be so negative about the life you were given.
Wow Angry Much

Burlington, VT

#20 Jan 11, 2013
Why would you assume that we are not educated? Why would you assume that some of us haven't gotten "involved in the politics" OR "community service?"

I have a college degree and am working on an advanced degree. Several members of my family and friends do, also. I have done plenty of community services and still do. As do several members of my family and my friends.

Wanting to try to possibly better our community is being "negative?" How is that? How does that automatically define people as "frustrated?"

I see it all as positive. I know, change is sometimes painful. But, we will all live through it. We will.

Rethink, please!
Daisy

Port Henry, NY

#21 Jan 11, 2013
Frustrated people post on every topic and or start numerous other ones constantly complaining about the state of affairs as if their posts will accomplish something.In reality their posts is all they do in a feeble attempt to accomplish anything.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#22 Jan 11, 2013
Compare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lake placid pd has 11 full time officers, Ticonderoga full time officers is 7.
thank you for information. I was on my phone and was having signal issues during my post.
Sons of Anarchy

Clifton Park, NY

#23 Jan 12, 2013
The town police dont make me feel safe. We dont need them to protect us or serve us. They wouldnt deter most people looking to break the law. I think the bad guys are glad their here, resulting in less State and Sherrif presence. The question is would Ti pay the Sheriff more if the town cops left?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
town drunks and addicts 10 hr LOCK THEM UP 7
gay men that wear camo and tight jeans 16 hr courtney 3
tina r got fired from saint joes 17 hr the fat ahole 4
latch string motel 17 hr pat g 4
Topix alert!!!!!!!!! 17 hr john 4
homosexuals 18 hr yum yum 1
Lisa hunsdon 20 hr Shame 17

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance