Cancer

Ticonderoga, NY

#43 Aug 23, 2012
Does anyone else think Ticonderoga has increased rates of cancer in both children and young adults?
x employe

Cleveland, OH

#45 Aug 26, 2012
Check the cancer rate for the Ti area, compared to a non paper mill section of the country.
Ive had enough

Corinth, NY

#46 Aug 26, 2012
It's time to shut the mill completely down and incarcerate every single employee.

Long overdue.
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#47 Aug 26, 2012
Stop the Stink wrote:
So a GLOBAL COMPANY can pollute your air and water as long as it provides jobs.
Makes complete sense to me, since I do not work at the MILL why should I be forced to be poisoned?
You people are friggin pathetic, the air and water is not important as long as you get a paycheck.
This is exactly why our country is going to collapse!
Is it too much to ask International Paper to clean up it's act?
Let me ask you geniuses a question? What would happen if I went into town and dumped like 2 tons of Chlorine into the air and people could smell it and it made them and their children sick..do you think that I would not get into trouble for that?
One set of rules for GLobal Corporations and another the US citizens...not much different than the BP oil Spill. BP has literally destroyed the gulf of Mexico, OOPS wait they are a global company..free pass!
See a pattern here?
God this country is hopeless and brain dead!
When your kids are stricken with cancer and you die a horrible death from breathing in this crap, you should be proud that you defended a company who's CEO made like 20 million last year..perhaps he could spare a million and clean up the stench?
The mill has been providing a living for my family for generations. I myself have worked there for a quarter century and I can tell you that they are truly committed to manufacturing a quality product,in a safe environment,with safety and environmental responsibility as primary tenants of our corporate philosophy.We operate inside a park and maintain a strict level of compliance and accountability with respect to our operating permits and parameters.The smell is a result of the processing of the wood into paper,better than it was, but still noticeable sadly.And just remember this, no one is forcing you to be poisoned,Paper has been made in Ti for well over a century,it was here before any of us,if you find it that offensive then relocate,unless of course your enjoying N.Y.s world class welfare program.And speaking of welfare,if they transfer our orders to an offshore producer to avoid lawsuits from morons like you then there will be even less taxpayers on the contributory side of the balance sheet. I agree with you on one thing,"our country is brain-dead"your right on that. If we still had all the manufacturing jobs that have been out-sourced thanks to "Pay less,live better"then the government coffers and the social entitlement accounts would be overflowing with tax dollars,the "third-world" would still be just that, and America would still be top of the food chain.
Hit Man

United States

#48 Aug 27, 2012
The IP mill in Ti is the most polluting mill in the US. Check out thier EPA scorecard. How about 275,ooo pounds of neurotoxins released into the air a year. That mill is deadly. A paycheck is more important than your family's health? And that is just one of many other pollutants that released. The lazy town officials should be preparing for its closure. Shutting down that nasty thing gets talked about often at IPs board meetings. That mill is nobodys friend. Face the facts people. There will be life after IP.
really now

Red Hook, NY

#49 Aug 27, 2012
Hit Man wrote:
The IP mill in Ti is the most polluting mill in the US. Check out thier EPA scorecard. How about 275,ooo pounds of neurotoxins released into the air a year. That mill is deadly. A paycheck is more important than your family's health? And that is just one of many other pollutants that released. The lazy town officials should be preparing for its closure. Shutting down that nasty thing gets talked about often at IPs board meetings. That mill is nobodys friend. Face the facts people. There will be life after IP.
Do you know how many paper mills are in the US? Lol you think this one mill in Ti is the most polluting? Please tells us where you get that fact. I know of at least 4 other paper manufacturers in this country each with dozens of mills yet you state this is the most polluting out of all of them. Please tell me your source of information. While you are at it, when was the last time you sat in on an IP board meeting to know they talk about shutting this mill down? Honestly the nonsense that people post on this site is comical. You must be so high up in the IP corporation to be invited to the board meetings.

Quit spreading your conspiracy theories and hate. Find a new hobby.
Hit Man

United States

#50 Aug 27, 2012
Well Mr really now, you sound like a good republican.And being from Utica this concerns you how? Ti paper mill is one of the worst in the nation. Thier EPA score card and what they emit is available on the EPA website. As far as board meetings are concerned, they are a publicly traded company and the board meeting minutes are public information and are posted on IP's website. This plant is smelly, unhealthy and needs to go. The end.
really now

Red Hook, NY

#51 Aug 27, 2012
Hit Man wrote:
Well Mr really now, you sound like a good republican.And being from Utica this concerns you how? Ti paper mill is one of the worst in the nation. Thier EPA score card and what they emit is available on the EPA website. As far as board meetings are concerned, they are a publicly traded company and the board meeting minutes are public information and are posted on IP's website. This plant is smelly, unhealthy and needs to go. The end.
When will people on this website learn that what shows as your location isn't always accurate. I do like how you went from emphatically stating this mill is the worst in the nation to "one of the worst". "Smelly" is definitely a reason to shut down a mill that employs half the town.
xyz

Cleveland, OH

#52 Sep 3, 2012
Dont waste your time they own the APA
x employe

Cleveland, OH

#54 Sep 18, 2012
Smell of Death wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the right as an American to live here in Ticonderoga and not have someone poison me.
Do you remember what it means to be an American or did you vote for OBAMA?
EPA Called me yesterday and I am taking them over to the Mill .
Good luck I reported them severral times, nothing came of it. The last time I refused to sign off on the complaint, so Jim OBrin forget my name?
O Bryan

San Diego, CA

#55 Sep 20, 2012
What about O'Bryan?
Nice Post

Ticonderoga, NY

#56 Sep 20, 2012
Nasty Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from NY.
I live in Ti.
I do not work at the Mill so why should I suffer.
The town suffers because the Mill can do anything it wants, when the Mill goes so does the town because all your rotten eggs are in one basket.
The only way Ticonderoga will see any future growth is to expand it's small business base. Stores with less than 5 employees are good for the community and will foster growth.
The Mill Refuses to pay it's fair share of taxes and has sued the Town to keep it that way. If they did we would all be paying lower taxes.
The Mill smells bad and it's bad for Tourism. The Mill smells bad and it's bad for small businesses to want to open up in Ticonderoga.
The Mill is the 4 ton elephant sitting in your livingroom that nobody seems to want to discuss here. I see the elephant and smell it do you?
Oh and to the not so nice dude that says IP won't let me on their property...I can be standing 4 miles away and smell it..so I think you might have inhaled to much poison.
There has been DNA damage done to the residents of Ti, you can see it on a sunday walking through Walmart...people missing a chromozone here and there.
Ticonderoga is my home, and it's worth fighting for, please do not threaten me and say nasty things about my family since it doesn't help us solve this problem.
My little research is information that is open to the public.
Way are you so angry? Because the truth scares you. Do you expect me to be afraid of you or something?
Thanks
BUMP
I hope I live long enough

San Diego, CA

#57 Sep 20, 2012
I hope I live long enough to see that cancer-causing and otherwise eco-polluting hell hole shut down.

I very much agree with the following post. However, I will say these two things.

1) Ticonderoga would NOT have all their rotten eggs in one basket except for the fact that Ticonderoga has had POOR to NO decent leadership in decades and decades and decades. Which leads to...

2) ONE of the reason why IP sued the Town of Ticonderoga to reduce their taxes is because the Town, including the school district, has been spending/WASTING tax dollars for decades and decades and decades. And IP knows it! It is a business and knows waste when they see it. Don't we??
Nasty Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from NY.
I live in Ti.
The town suffers because the Mill can do anything it wants, when the Mill goes so does the town because all your rotten eggs are in one basket.
The only way Ticonderoga will see any future growth is to expand it's small business base. Stores with less than 5 employees are good for the community and will foster growth.
The Mill Refuses to pay it's fair share of taxes and has sued the Town to keep it that way. If they did we would all be paying lower taxes.
The Mill smells bad and it's bad for Tourism. The Mill smells bad and it's bad for small businesses to want to open up in Ticonderoga.
The Mill is the 4 ton elephant sitting in your livingroom that nobody seems to want to discuss here. I see the elephant and smell it do you?
Oh and to the not so nice dude that says IP won't let me on their property...I can be standing 4 miles away and smell it..so I think you might have inhaled to much poison.
There has been DNA damage done to the residents of Ti, you can see it on a sunday walking through Walmart...people missing a chromozone here and there.
Ticonderoga is my home, and it's worth fighting for, please do not threaten me and say nasty things about my family since it doesn't help us solve this problem.
My little research is information that is open to the public.
Way are you so angry? Because the truth scares you. Do you expect me to be afraid of you or something?
Thanks
maybe not

Ticonderoga, NY

#58 Sep 20, 2012
maybe not wrote:
<quoted text>
If you own a car, take the ferry to Vt., bear left toward Addison and tell me that Kayhart dairy complex doesn't put twice the polution into Lake Champlain as IP. If it comes from animal [waste] or chemical[feed treatments, chlorine cleaning of equipment, fertilizer, ect] as long as it is from Vt. dairy it must be good for you. Or maybe their $hit doesn't stink or run down hill.
The new bridge is in place and the dairy continues to dump. Why is it ok and the mill is a demon?
Damage is done

Port Henry, NY

#60 Jan 19, 2013
yeaaa wrote:
Wow...DEAL WITH THE SMELL,IT HAS SMELLED FOR 30 YEARS. If it wasn't for this mill 90% of people in Ticonderoga wouldn't have a job!!!!! the less people in Ticonderoga the less jobs...the mill goes..then the small stores...gas stations...walmart..hospital.. ..don't you get it. Yes it smells...but holy christ him self wouldn't make a big enuf fuss. Call someone and bitch oh wait..you have the internet for that...lets rally the troops and let them fight for you. god you people are just stupid
That mill employs a number of people but not 90% of the people in Ticonderoga. They are more of a "who your blowing " kind of employer as well and now they think they are going to run pipes across everyone lawns in Vermont so they can pay less for fuel? That mill benefits some people yes but the others that it doesn't benefit pay for it and that lake is almost dead because of the dumping that has gone on there over the years. They provide jobs to their friends or females they want to have sex with. I would say I would like to sell my house before they closed though. between emails and electronic billing there will be a day when they stop polluting the land and lake. I was talking to a friend that works there J Norton he said basically they buy Hazmat equipment to look like they are in compliance or at least trying for the inspectors. Even the fire police know what they are doing. They do it without out fear of anything because they are the areas largest employer
Business Viewpoint

Ticonderoga, NY

#61 Jan 20, 2013
I am from NY.
I live in Ti.
Expand small business growth. Help me please. Have you been to a Downtown Business meeting, Chamber meeting or TRA meeting. Look around that room. How many of those business people would survive without IP. As a family business that has operated over 30 years in Ti, and a member of most of these groups, I would probably be closed within 6 months of IP leaving. Not because we do not love Ti or its people, but business needs revenue to survive. Solutions to you questions are important, but your approach is unrealistic.
As a business, we need IP to survive.
dollar

Bellevue, WA

#62 Jan 25, 2013
Business Viewpoint wrote:
I am from NY.
I live in Ti.
Expand small business growth. Help me please. Have you been to a Downtown Business meeting, Chamber meeting or TRA meeting. Look around that room. How many of those business people would survive without IP. As a family business that has operated over 30 years in Ti, and a member of most of these groups, I would probably be closed within 6 months of IP leaving. Not because we do not love Ti or its people, but business needs revenue to survive. Solutions to you questions are important, but your approach is unrealistic.
As a business, we need IP to survive.
You should really take a look at the population of the towns that suround IP and Ti. The small mom and pop shops together employ more people then IP does. Do your homework before posting please.
Bob

West Chazy, NY

#63 May 4, 2013
Incredible. The "fight" that is going on here is so petty. Look, no one should be telling people where they can or can't live, or basing their arguments on where people live. I live 30mi north of ti, and I can smell the plant's horrible smell any day the wind comes from the south. First, there is NO WAY anything that causes that odor isn't harmful to humans. I am sure people who have lived in ti for ages can be healthy and fine. But it's not natural, and anything not natural tends to have health impacts, be it cancer or otherwise.

The bigger issue is that IP is so big that no matter what size fines they get, they pay them and move on. If instead they were forced to spend money to clean up their emissions, it sounds like everyone would be happy - both locals who can keep their jobs, and the rest of us who live within the area that is affected by the stink.

When you get to the bottom of it, most of us came to live in the adks or vt to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, which should include the right to breath the fresh air this part of the world is known for.

I just hope the useless arguing can stop, and we can all look at the important issue: out health and well being.
N H Allen

Bristol, VT

#64 Aug 26, 2013
That is the key question. Given the multitude of carcinogenic pollutants released by IP into the air over an extended time period, a higher incidence of cancer is likely.

I live downstream of Ti (8 miles away) and my closest neighbor died of cancer before he was 50. I would very much like to see the cancer statistics, not just in Ti but for many miles around.
Available Info

San Diego, CA

#65 Aug 26, 2013
That info. is available through the State (NY). IF you believe their statistics. Having said that, yes!, Essex and Warren Counties have higher incidences of cancer than other and nearby non-industry counties. And have had for decades.

Now, let's not forget the many other diseases that are caused by industry. Hmmm...
N H Allen wrote:
That is the key question. Given the multitude of carcinogenic pollutants released by IP into the air over an extended time period, a higher incidence of cancer is likely.
I live downstream of Ti (8 miles away) and my closest neighbor died of cancer before he was 50. I would very much like to see the cancer statistics, not just in Ti but for many miles around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gas Prices in TI 17 min Blue Eyes 58 3
Christopher Lambert 6 hr Legal minds 34
Know Your HIPAA Rights 7 hr not a girl 11
amy hayes 7 hr crown point 2014 5
Homosexuality in Ti Schools 11 hr Seriously 37
Cutters 12 hr Sad kids 1
Police in Putnam Station? (Mar '13) 12 hr Jurisdiction 9
Ti McDs Sat reading skills 8
•••
•••