First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dave

Cobleskill, NY

#42 Jun 22, 2011
Curious wrote:
Now, I'm not trying to start an all out war. I am simply curious as to why people who do not own property in Ticonderoga are allowed to vote in the school budget.
Why are 18 yr old students who don't own property allowed to vote but people who own a second home up here and pay an enormous amount in taxes not allowed to vote? It makes no sense to me.
At 18 yrs old you have no concept of owning a home and the responsibilities (i.e. school/property taxes) that it encompasses. Why did they have a say in how our tax dollars are being wasted...oops, I meant spent.
This was not a presidential election, this was a local school budget vote. Eighteen year olds, while maturing, can still be naive and thus vulnerable to being swayed in their vote.
The win was so very close at 35 votes that it really makes me wonder how many of those votes were made by 18 yr olds who were "open to suggestion" before the vote.
Does anyone know of any legislation that may prohibit this from happening in the future? I'm getting so very tired of being robbed.
Thank you
From Dave,
Sounds like everyone who voted to reject the amended budget, should get togeather, and use whatever news media, they can; to carry the message of the tea party. I can't believe that people are that stupid in Ti. For the school board, to come back with an ammended budget, that equates to a .04% decrease in the budget, is a slap in the face to the taxpayers of Ticonderoga.
John and the school board, may think they have won the war, but I have a feeling that, the major BATTLES lie aheaed.
Everybody is feeling the pain of the economic crisis, but it seems like the school board, and John aren't listening to the news OR the voters.
Just my .02cents.
If you don't like my spelling, please grin and bear it; just like I have to do when I think about the vote count.
Anyone who want's to ORGANIZE and try, to make the school district a world class district, please respond.
home owner

Cobleskill, NY

#43 Jun 22, 2011
i agree that only homeowners should be allowed to vote. fulltime resident or part time resient.. people who rent don't pay tax's. if you want to vote, buy a house.... we are the only ones paying the tax's not renters...
rentorown

Malone, NY

#44 Jun 22, 2011
Some people do not want to buy a house. As a home owner, if I had my life to do over, I would seriously consider, for various personal and financial reasons, NOT being a home-owner. Does renting make me less of a citizen and therefore unable to understand the issues at hand? If I don't own property then perhaps I shouldn't be able to go to war, drink alcohol, drive a vehicle, or shoulder any other adult responsibility.

Most people didn't own their own homes until the mid0-20th century, And a lot of people voted.

If you are a renter, VOTE!
Boo

Bolton Landing, NY

#45 Jun 22, 2011
home owner wrote:
i agree that only homeowners should be allowed to vote. fulltime resident or part time resient.. people who rent don't pay tax's. if you want to vote, buy a house.... we are the only ones paying the tax's not renters...
Do you really think there is no taxes in your monthly rent check? Idiot!!
Tax Hostage

United States

#46 Jul 17, 2011
Curious wrote:
Now, I'm not trying to start an all out war. I am simply curious as to why people who do not own property in Ticonderoga are allowed to vote in the school budget.
Why are 18 yr old students who don't own property allowed to vote but people who own a second home up here and pay an enormous amount in taxes not allowed to vote? It makes no sense to me.
At 18 yrs old you have no concept of owning a home and the responsibilities (i.e. school/property taxes) that it encompasses. Why did they have a say in how our tax dollars are being wasted...oops, I meant spent.
This was not a presidential election, this was a local school budget vote. Eighteen year olds, while maturing, can still be naive and thus vulnerable to being swayed in their vote.
The win was so very close at 35 votes that it really makes me wonder how many of those votes were made by 18 yr olds who were "open to suggestion" before the vote.
Does anyone know of any legislation that may prohibit this from happening in the future? I'm getting so very tired of being robbed.
Thank you
My humble opinion, you should be able to vote in any district you own property and pay taxes. If you own property in 4 districts and you pay taxes you should have a right to express your opinion in that district. And NO you shouldn't get 3 votes for 3 properties in one district (for the idiot who'll look at extremes and not use common sense).
Tax Hostage

United States

#47 Jul 17, 2011
How to change the law wrote:
NYS Constitution
Article II
Section 1
"Every citizen shall be entitled to vote at every election for all officers elected by the people and upon all questions submitted to the vote of the people provided that such citizen is eighteen years of age or over and shall have been a resident of this state, and of the county, city, or village for thirty days next preceding an election."
So, all you need to do is to get a state constitutional covention in place to amend this language. See Article XIX of the NYS Constitution for instructions how.
Thus ends this debate: If you don't like our system of voting rights, change the NYS Constitution.
Put up, or shut up.
Thank you, I'm beginning a movement to ban non-property owners to vote on school budgets in any given district in NY State. This will only apply to school budget votes, it will not apply to school board elections or any other election or vote in any district.
Tax Hostage

United States

#48 Jul 17, 2011
Boo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really think there is no taxes in your monthly rent check? Idiot!!
Here's the thing BOO, if your rent goes to high all you have to do is give 30 days notice and move to another location, property owners don't have it that easy, and have much more responsibility to the property, We're tied to our property, renters are only tied for 30 days.
holy god

Howes Cave, NY

#49 Jul 27, 2011
lol wrote:
so who paid you to post this horse crap ( SENTINEL )? i was once an employee of the district and was told to vote yes or i would loose my job!!! and yes the student who r of voting age are excused from class to go " vote " yes or else!!!. u should stop listening to those who think they know, and listen to those who do know!!!!!!!!!!
If you think teenagers are actively obeying their teachers and giving a damn about voting you're a fool.

A lot of the kids voted no because they thought they were being ironic or cool.
cops

Cobleskill, NY

#50 Jul 30, 2011
Tax Hostage wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the thing BOO, if your rent goes to high all you have to do is give 30 days notice and move to another location, property owners don't have it that easy, and have much more responsibility to the property, We're tied to our property, renters are only tied for 30 days.
----------You have it part of it correct. If they have a contract lease with time left on it they are obligated to fulfill that lease. Most leases are for one year. They also have a month to month. Read and understand what you are signing?
cops

Cobleskill, NY

#51 Jul 30, 2011
For over 40 years I've paid taxes.My kids never went to any school! But I still get Ripped Off with School Taxes! WHY! And this Assessor needs to go!
mr mcdougal

Hauppauge, NY

#52 May 2, 2013
then work two jobs, buy a house, pay taxes then you can vote
Rights Remover

Plattsburgh, NY

#53 May 2, 2013
So, Because someone rents a place to live they do not have any rights. Everyone, 18 and over have the right to vote. This is what our country was derived upon.
Marion Hodges

Endicott, NY

#54 May 2, 2013
Dear Students,
If the new proposed school budget is not passed, we will have to discontinue all sports programs. The athletic field will be closed until further notice.
Those of you that are willing to say you are 18, please go to vote now.
Thank you.
An eighteen year old

Ticonderoga, NY

#56 May 2, 2013
And no we are't stupid. We all vote yes. We don't care what's cool. I vote yes, when my parents vote no. We aren't little kids.
In it to win it

Southbridge, MA

#57 May 3, 2013
Marion Hodges wrote:
Dear Students,
If the new proposed school budget is not passed, we will have to discontinue all sports programs. The athletic field will be closed until further notice.
Those of you that are willing to say you are 18, please go to vote now.
Thank you.
Where are all the teachers when they have Economic Development meetings? The town and increasingly smaller tax base are bleeding to death financially. No one can afford the taxes anymore. This is just the beginning of a rapid decline of Ticonderoga.
Voting

Ticonderoga, NY

#58 May 3, 2013
This is a very interesting conversation. Guess I would rather have a say in contract negioations and adminstrative increases than curtailing someone's right to vote. I own two buildings in Ti and still believe evey citizen should vote in every election. These years without pay raises to just keep step increases just fools the public. Then we don not understand a 9.5% increase to the teachers saleries this year. It's the smoke and mirrors that is insulting to me, not voters.
salaries

Ticonderoga, NY

#59 May 3, 2013
Voting wrote:
This is a very interesting conversation. Guess I would rather have a say in contract negioations and adminstrative increases than curtailing someone's right to vote. I own two buildings in Ti and still believe evey citizen should vote in every election. These years without pay raises to just keep step increases just fools the public. Then we don not understand a 9.5% increase to the teachers saleries this year. It's the smoke and mirrors that is insulting to me, not voters.
This is exactly what concessions the teachers have made in the last few years -

2010-2011 - Give back of 3% of each salary
2011-2012 - No raise, steps intact
2012-2013 - No raise, no step (pay freeze)

The 9.5% scheduled increase brings the teachers to the salary contractually owed them for the 2013-2014 school year. And I'm guessing in the next week you will see news of more concessions to save student programs.
its rigged

Lumberton, TX

#60 May 3, 2013
It's the only way the school can get the budgets passed is to allow non-property owning individual to vote for the budget. If only people paying the taxes to vote would never get anything through.Like the big addition to the highschool which was giant waste of money . The budget should only be voted on one time not as many as it takes to get pushed through when college kids get home for break.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
more b.s 2 min fnys 6
Ticonderoga's Taxi Services to be Regulated in ... 3 hr People of Ti 1
penfield haunted homestead (Oct '10) 17 hr Malone 3
druggie thief 19 hr glad shes not my... 22
Penny Bennett 22 hr Ohlawrd 3
Nursing home Fri scarie 28
Christopher Lambert Fri bffies 36
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match

Ticonderoga Jobs