Why are people who don't own property...

Why are people who don't own property allowed to vote in the school budget?

Posted in the Ticonderoga Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Curious

Cobleskill, NY

#1 Jun 16, 2010
Now, I'm not trying to start an all out war. I am simply curious as to why people who do not own property in Ticonderoga are allowed to vote in the school budget.
Why are 18 yr old students who don't own property allowed to vote but people who own a second home up here and pay an enormous amount in taxes not allowed to vote? It makes no sense to me.
At 18 yrs old you have no concept of owning a home and the responsibilities (i.e. school/property taxes) that it encompasses. Why did they have a say in how our tax dollars are being wasted...oops, I meant spent.
This was not a presidential election, this was a local school budget vote. Eighteen year olds, while maturing, can still be naive and thus vulnerable to being swayed in their vote.
The win was so very close at 35 votes that it really makes me wonder how many of those votes were made by 18 yr olds who were "open to suggestion" before the vote.
Does anyone know of any legislation that may prohibit this from happening in the future? I'm getting so very tired of being robbed.
Thank you
not sure

Ashfield, MA

#2 Jun 16, 2010
I am not sure but I think if you are a resident of the school district and a registered voter you can vote on the school budget.Ok so are you saying 18 year olds should not be allowed to vote. It sounds like you are one of the seasonal people with high taxes and no kids in this school system.
the law

Schoharie, NY

#4 Jun 16, 2010
Voting law in NYS: #1- 18 yrs. of age,#2- a resident of the district for 30 days and #3- U.S. citizen can register and vote in any NYS election. I certainly agree a person should be a property owner in order to vote where expending money is concerned. But the law reads 3 requirements and a person can vote.
Curious

Cobleskill, NY

#5 Jun 16, 2010
not sure wrote:
I am not sure but I think if you are a resident of the school district and a registered voter you can vote on the school budget.Ok so are you saying 18 year olds should not be allowed to vote. It sounds like you are one of the seasonal people with high taxes and no kids in this school system.
Wrong. In fact, I have quite a few children in this school system and that is why I am questioning how MY money is being wasted. But thank you for your ASS-umption and your first rate narrow mindedness.
resident

Cobleskill, NY

#6 Jun 16, 2010
the law wrote:
Voting law in NYS:#1- 18 yrs. of age,#2- a resident of the district for 30 days and #3- U.S. citizen can register and vote in any NYS election. I certainly agree a person should be a property owner in order to vote where expending money is concerned. But the law reads 3 requirements and a person can vote.
what does "resident" mean? does this mean if someone owns 3 homes in 3 different towns can vote for a school budget in all 3 towns?

i do think the term resident should ALSO include --(OWN and pay school and property tax) otherwise they have no say in the vote. its is NOT right that an 18 year old (from ti yet!) can determine how much one pays on their taxes. something is BIG TIME wrong.
the law

Schoharie, NY

#7 Jun 16, 2010
The word resident as used in voter registration means "your permanent address, your legal residence" you only have ONE. You can live at home with your parents, rent a home, you DO NOT have to own and pay taxes. I agree with you that only taxpayers should vote where tax dollars are the issue. The law needs to be changed; but will not.

And no, you can only vote at your permanent residence. People who own 2nd homes in Ti and their legal residence is Podunk, NJ, they can only vote in Podunk not Ti.
ditto

Melrose, NY

#8 Jun 16, 2010
Curious wrote:
Now, I'm not trying to start an all out war. I am simply curious as to why people who do not own property in Ticonderoga are allowed to vote in the school budget.
Why are 18 yr old students who don't own property allowed to vote but people who own a second home up here and pay an enormous amount in taxes not allowed to vote? It makes no sense to me.
At 18 yrs old you have no concept of owning a home and the responsibilities (i.e. school/property taxes) that it encompasses. Why did they have a say in how our tax dollars are being wasted...oops, I meant spent.
This was not a presidential election, this was a local school budget vote. Eighteen year olds, while maturing, can still be naive and thus vulnerable to being swayed in their vote.
The win was so very close at 35 votes that it really makes me wonder how many of those votes were made by 18 yr olds who were "open to suggestion" before the vote.
Does anyone know of any legislation that may prohibit this from happening in the future? I'm getting so very tired of being robbed.
Thank you
me too
fedup

Cobleskill, NY

#9 Jun 16, 2010
I own four properties in Ticonderoga, should I get to vote four times since I pay taxes on all four???
Sentinel

Ashfield, MA

#10 Jun 16, 2010
When the vote occurred on Tuesday, the high school was not in session. The end of year regents/testing period had started and students without exams were not required to attend. Therefore most of the 18 year-olds were not in school where they could be "sent" down to the lobby to vote during class time. They weren't forced into voting yes like people seem to think. I am not an employee of the district, nor do I have any connections beyond friends who are still in school. I am a recent grad (within the last 3 years)and in my time at Ti High it was never suggested by any teacher that I go vote on any issue, nor did I ever see anyone excused from class to go vote. I didn't even register to vote until after I had graduated.
lol

Albany, NY

#11 Jun 16, 2010
so who paid you to post this horse crap ( SENTINEL )? i was once an employee of the district and was told to vote yes or i would loose my job!!! and yes the student who r of voting age are excused from class to go " vote " yes or else!!!. u should stop listening to those who think they know, and listen to those who do know!!!!!!!!!!
Silly Billy

Syracuse, NY

#12 Jun 17, 2010
Welfare recipients shouldn't be allowed to vote, either!! Neither should people who can't differentiate between "there" and "their"! People who shop at Walmart should be excluded, too!! If you think that sex offenders have rights, you are left out too!! Anyone who thinks that the Ti PD needs to be disbanded should be barred at the door!! If you voted for the wrong sewer superintendent, stay home!! If you weren't born and inbred in Ticonderoga, you don't deserve to have a say on how your tax money is spent! If you don't work for the town, the Mill, or the school, keep away!! You people are loosers!!! lolololol (loosers was on purpose, you grammar nazis!!)
renter

Adams, MA

#13 Jun 17, 2010
Property taxes affect how much renters have to pay therefore, non-property owners should have a say as well. Not all of us without mortgages are on welfare and yes some people do work our butts off for little wage.
a simple concept

South Glens Falls, NY

#14 Jun 17, 2010
It's called a democracy. One person = one vote.

You don't have to like to outcome of the voting, but you should at the very least accept the legal foundations of our form of government.

Change the law? Sure, that's always an option. Contact your legislators in Albany and Washington, D.C. and find someone willing to sponsor such legislation. But I suggest that you don't hold your breath waiting for the law to change.
Sam I am

United States

#15 Jun 17, 2010
Curious wrote:
Thank you
Whoa...talk about taking away rights.
Curious

Cobleskill, NY

#16 Jun 17, 2010
a simple concept wrote:
It's called a democracy. One person = one vote.
You don't have to like to outcome of the voting, but you should at the very least accept the legal foundations of our form of government.
Change the law? Sure, that's always an option. Contact your legislators in Albany and Washington, D.C. and find someone willing to sponsor such legislation. But I suggest that you don't hold your breath waiting for the law to change.
And in a democracy there is always room for reform or at least one would hope. But no, I won't hold my breath. We live in NY, one of the most corrupt states in the country. We can't even seem to pass a state budget much less reform the property tax laws. And believe me, when circumstances are such that I can move away from here I will run not walk.
Sentinel

Ashfield, MA

#17 Jun 17, 2010
lol wrote:
so who paid you to post this horse crap ( SENTINEL )? i was once an employee of the district and was told to vote yes or i would loose my job!!! and yes the student who r of voting age are excused from class to go " vote " yes or else!!!. u should stop listening to those who think they know, and listen to those who do know!!!!!!!!!!
My point was not to refute that voting age students were forced to vote yes, it was merely that Regents week has started and the voting age students were most likely not in the building. I don't listen to other people who think that they know everything, I was merely speaking from my experience during my time at Ti High, and neither me, nor my friends were ever excused to go an vote. I love the school dearly and am extremely thankful for the teachers and opportunities that I had, but reading the forums on this site only reaffirms that Ti is no place to come back to after I finish college. I had considered coming back to teach, but knowing that there is a sizable population that has no support for the school, the teachers or the activities and projects within the school has driven me away.
silver_bird

Dallas, TX

#18 Jun 17, 2010
During the early 1800s, states gradually dropped property requirements for voting.
been there

United States

#19 Jun 17, 2010
I also wondered how people who rent are allowed to vote. I am very tired of paying taxes - it almost makes you want to sell and rent - let someone else worry about taxes and upkeep. this country really sucks and has gone right to hell.
silver_bird

Dallas, TX

#20 Jun 17, 2010
been there wrote:
I also wondered how people who rent are allowed to vote. I am very tired of paying taxes - it almost makes you want to sell and rent - let someone else worry about taxes and upkeep. this country really sucks and has gone right to hell.
often renting is cheaper for the here and now but what have you got in the end? Success is all about taking chances.
Ti Resident

United States

#21 Jun 17, 2010
One vote only here or there, where your permanent residence is. If you don't like that have only one house.

Renters are paying school taxes through their rent.

If you can go off to war and fight for this country you should be able to vote.

If you are a landlord and own four houses you are charging rent that includes the school taxes on these homes. If you don't like it because you only get to vote on one property sell them and vote on the place you live, where ever that may be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
has anyone seen the hookers at the park lately 1 hr revenge 7
Rite Aide 2 hr Is it 25
Carla Peters 4 hr HotForCarla 6
Why the bias? 5 hr Appleknocker 2
classic car parts 12 hr Yup 2
can u record to dvr 21 hr Hector 3
did anybody hear about the brake in near the ra... Thu fyi 2

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance