First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Country Girl

Schoharie, NY

#1 Jul 14, 2008
I think these stores should be boycotted. Everyone should stop ssssshopping in any of them.... their prices are high.....they treat us "Americans" like we are below them! They should go back to their own country where they belong. I do not understand why we (through the government) pay for them to come over here and rob us blind! I say...Stop shopping there......make them go somewhere else..like back to their own country"!
ddd

Albany, NY

#2 Jul 14, 2008
Country Girl wrote:
I think these stores should be boycotted. Everyone should stop ssssshopping in any of them.... their prices are high.....they treat us "Americans" like we are below them! They should go back to their own country where they belong. I do not understand why we (through the government) pay for them to come over here and rob us blind! I say...Stop shopping there......make them go somewhere else..like back to their own country"!
Country Girl,

You should have facts to back up your request. I have never been treated like the description you state at any of these stores. I would rather shop at these convenience stores than the others in the Ticonderoga area. This subject is so narrow minded, it shows how educated you really are. Your not going to persuade me with your nonsense.
assume nothing

Schenectady, NY

#3 Jul 14, 2008
Country Girl wrote:
This sounds suspiciously like "old school" bigotry to me. Let the free market decide if the prices and service are right, not ethnic prejudices or stereotypes.

As for yet another claim that their businesses are unfairly subsidized by the federal government:
Show us the federal legislation and grant programs targeted specifically at this immigrant group.(Hint: there are no such laws or grants.)
huh

Cobleskill, NY

#4 Jul 14, 2008
What bothers me is that ALL the money goes back to Pakistan. If they would give back a little to the community that is feeding them and their relatives at home, it wouldn't bother me as much.
FlippingYouOff

Pittsfield, MA

#5 Jul 14, 2008
huh wrote:
What bothers me is that ALL the money goes back to Pakistan. If they would give back a little to the community that is feeding them and their relatives at home, it wouldn't bother me as much.
that money doesn't really go back to Pakistan... it goes to their families. To these people, whether you like it or not, family really is a big deal. However you feel about immigration, my only bitch is that these folks had a wee little bit better grasp on english :oP

Since: Jun 07

Schoharie, NY

#6 Jul 14, 2008
I have never been mistred by our foreigners. they seem quite and pleasant.
storm

Cobleskill, NY

#7 Jul 14, 2008
I can not believe your bigotry and total stupidity/The cavemen and Indians were here and the came out ancestors/So where did you come from Country Girl, under a rock? You don't have to shop there/Go to Wal*Mart/There are 3 gas stations in Ti owned by locals/I for one like Kaz and his family and I will buy gas from him or the other Citgo/I share the wealth/Free enterprise for all you dumb ass

Since: May 08

Ticonderoga

#8 Jul 14, 2008
I used to go to the "Sharkey's" store that was owned by Mike. That was until last year when I stopped in one evening and the current owner and one of his employees began laughing hysterically. At the time I was the only customer in the store. I didn’t think much of it at first, but their “high jinx” continued and I began to suspect that I was perhaps the focus of their laughter. They regained their composure, but as I brought my items to the check out counter they both burst out in uncontrollable laughter once again. At that moment I uncomfortably realized that I was in fact the subject of their “inside joke.” I left my items on the counter and walked out of the store and haven’t been back since.

After that I began to patronize the one across from the Wagon Wheel and the other one in downtown. Personally, I have found the owners and workers at the one by the Wagon Wheel to be rude, impersonal and gruff. I have no complaints about the other one owned in downtown which I believe is run by “Kaz.” Kaz has been very friendly and courteous every time I have been in his store.

Ti person

Cobleskill, NY

#9 Jul 14, 2008
Did you ever think of asking them what they maybe laughing about?? Maybe it was a joke, not ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!!!! Grow up!!!
Ponderer

United States

#10 Jul 14, 2008
Ti person wrote:
Did you ever think of asking them what they maybe laughing about?? Maybe it was a joke, not ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!!!! Grow up!!!
Agree, but leave off the negative pejorative. Why slam Ti Person?

Be well, all. Let's use Ti Topix to express positive thoughts to all whom we presume are friends. Let's start at that place before we use the a-hole word. Night, all Ti Topix friends.
ddd

Albany, NY

#11 Jul 15, 2008
Lets go back to the basics shall we. The golden rule applies to some of your comments. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Whenever I approach a counter at a store, I usually smile and ask the cashier "how they are doing"? This usually allows the cashier to smile back. Do you ever stop and think for one moment, that our actions have an effect on others reactions?????

Ticonderoga

#12 Jul 15, 2008
While I am a firm believer in the “Golden Rule”, I am also a firm believer in receiving good customer service at businesses where I spend my money. Do a quick google search on customer service guidelines and you will find that chief among them is treating the customer the same way you would like to be treated. It also suggests to always smile, and to be friendly and courteous to the customer when speaking with them. CLEARLY, THE IMPETUS IS ON THE BUSINESS TO CREATE AN ATMOSPHERE WHERE THE CUSTOMER “FEELS AT HOME”, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

Therefore, as a customer I do not feel it is incumbent on my part to initiate this cordial interaction regardless of what business establishment I am in. That does not mean that I am rude and unfriendly if treated as such. On the contrary, I always treat service personnel with courtesy and respect. I just feel that it is the businesses responsibility to take the first step in creating good customer relations.

Simply put, when a business “goes the extra mile” in providing quality customer service such as above, I feel my business is appreciated and they’ve earned a repeat customer. That’s just basic good old fashioned business principles.

ddd

Albany, NY

#13 Jul 15, 2008
Just My 02 Cents wrote:
While I am a firm believer in the “Golden Rule”, I am also a firm believer in receiving good customer service at businesses where I spend my money. Do a quick google search on customer service guidelines and you will find that chief among them is treating the customer the same way you would like to be treated. It also suggests to always smile, and to be friendly and courteous to the customer when speaking with them. CLEARLY, THE IMPETUS IS ON THE BUSINESS TO CREATE AN ATMOSPHERE WHERE THE CUSTOMER “FEELS AT HOME”, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!
Therefore, as a customer I do not feel it is incumbent on my part to initiate this cordial interaction regardless of what business establishment I am in. That does not mean that I am rude and unfriendly if treated as such. On the contrary, I always treat service personnel with courtesy and respect. I just feel that it is the businesses responsibility to take the first step in creating good customer relations.
Simply put, when a business “goes the extra mile” in providing quality customer service such as above, I feel my business is appreciated and they’ve earned a repeat customer. That’s just basic good old fashioned business principles.
You make some valid points. I am just saying individuals need to assess how they respond to others around them. I totally understand the customer relations factor, but also I was raised to show respect regardless of the situation.
ignorance in ti

Cobleskill, NY

#14 Jul 15, 2008
first of all i would like to comment on all the ignorant people on here.the "pakis" as they r so nicely refered to do not rob you blind by thier prices the companies set the prices on the groceries and sodas and cigs not the store owners.secondly so what if they send money to pakistan r you treying to tell me that if one of your family members need money and they lived in another state you wouldnt send it to them....get realas for them thing about us in a negite "american" way look how the people ihn ti treat them some of them not very nice.if you dont like "paki" stores stay the hell out of them go to stewarts .oh and another thing the government does not support them to come over here there is a very long immagration process i have been through it so before you decide to run my family down you should know the facts of what you are saying appearently you are just jealous because they have more then you do...just remember they work for thier shit what do you do?
river girl

Albany, NY

#15 Jul 15, 2008
I don't usually shop at any of the stores that are being talked about. My usual haunt is Stewert's. On occasion, when I have shopped in two of these local stores, I felt the person behind the counter was very rude. He continue to talk in his native language on a cell phone while trying to waid on me, never once did he seem to ask the other party to wait so he could wait on me,( he continued to talk while asking me questions about what I wanted, etc. The other store tried very hard to overcharge me for a Sunday newspaper. Tthat was a much older gentleman who insisted it was the same price as the Post Star. One time I stopped in Crown Point to check and see if they had a daily Press, as I missed getting mine in Ti. They had one and wanted $1.00 for it. Boy did not make me feel warm and fuzzy. I really try not to patronize them, just for those reasons. Bigoted, don't think so.
Ponderer

United States

#16 Jul 15, 2008
ignorance in ti wrote:
first of all i would like to comment on all the ignorant people on here.the "pakis" as they r so nicely refered to do not rob you blind by thier prices the companies set the prices on the groceries and sodas and cigs not the store owners.secondly so what if they send money to pakistan r you treying to tell me that if one of your family members need money and they lived in another state you wouldnt send it to them....get realas for them thing about us in a negite "american" way look how the people ihn ti treat them some of them not very nice.if you dont like "paki" stores stay the hell out of them go to stewarts .oh and another thing the government does not support them to come over here there is a very long immagration process i have been through it so before you decide to run my family down you should know the facts of what you are saying appearently you are just jealous because they have more then you do...just remember they work for thier shit what do you do?
What a pleasure to read commentary from one of Ticonderoga's newest citizens.

I agree with you apropos where our newest business partners' monies go: They pay utilities, buy their groceries at W-M, pay rents, go to our health center, etc., etc. Is that not exemplar of their monies being funneled back into Ticonderoga? If they budget their extra monies to support family members back home -- Well, wouldn't you do the same thing?

And I agree: Put yourself in their shoes: You come from a partially Muslim country to a country that can't tell the difference between an Indian or a Pakistani and doesn't care enough to spend the time determining that difference.
Ponderer

United States

#17 Jul 15, 2008
Just My 02 Cents wrote:
I used to go to the "Sharkey's" store that was owned by Mike. That was until last year when I stopped in one evening and the current owner and one of his employees began laughing hysterically. At the time I was the only customer in the store. I didn’t think much of it at first, but their “high jinx” continued and I began to suspect that I was perhaps the focus of their laughter. They regained their composure, but as I brought my items to the check out counter they both burst out in uncontrollable laughter once again. At that moment I uncomfortably realized that I was in fact the subject of their “inside joke.” I left my items on the counter and walked out of the store and haven’t been back since.
After that I began to patronize the one across from the Wagon Wheel and the other one in downtown. Personally, I have found the owners and workers at the one by the Wagon Wheel to be rude, impersonal and gruff. I have no complaints about the other one owned in downtown which I believe is run by “Kaz.” Kaz has been very friendly and courteous every time I have been in his store.
I

I have only gone to the store opposite the Wagon Wheel. You sound like you have an open mind, and it sounds like you are still thinking about this situation because you want to be fair. So I pose a couple of questions to you:(1) Is it possible that they were having a conversation that had nothing to do with you in the first place, but they suppressed their laughter. But in a coincidence, they burst out laughing because they couldn't contain their humor any longer? I know that I've done that. Maybe it really didn't have anything to do with you at all, but, unfortunately for you, it coincided with your coming up to the counter?

The next question I would ask myself is what I was doing at that time, and what aspect of my behavior might make a person not familiar with our culture laugh.

Good luck. I look forward to your response, I know it will be a good one. All the best!

Ticonderoga

#18 Jul 15, 2008
Ponderer wrote:
<quoted text>I
I have only gone to the store opposite the Wagon Wheel. You sound like you have an open mind, and it sounds like you are still thinking about this situation because you want to be fair. So I pose a couple of questions to you:(1) Is it possible that they were having a conversation that had nothing to do with you in the first place, but they suppressed their laughter. But in a coincidence, they burst out laughing because they couldn't contain their humor any longer? I know that I've done that. Maybe it really didn't have anything to do with you at all, but, unfortunately for you, it coincided with your coming up to the counter?
The next question I would ask myself is what I was doing at that time, and what aspect of my behavior might make a person not familiar with our culture laugh.
Good luck. I look forward to your response, I know it will be a good one. All the best!
Answers to your ponderings, no pun intended. Well maybe just a little.

1) Obviously the possibility exists that I wasn’t the subject of their laughter. However, as I stated before, it was clear to me at the time and under the circumstances that was not the case. Believe me, I’m old enough to know the difference between an innocent laugh shared between friends and when that laughter comes at another’s expense. In this case me. Now let’s just suppose, as I firmly believe, that it was me they were laughing at and at the time I reached the counter I had said,” Hey guys. What’s so funny?” Are they going to respond by saying,“Sorry sir, we were laughing at you.” ABSOLUTELY NOT! Who in their right mind would? Now if they were just sharing an innocent laugh like everyone posting here wants me to believe, wouldn’t common courtesy dictate they would immediately address the issue by saying something like,“Excuse us sir, we’re not laughing at you.” Under the circumstances I know that’s what I would have done so as not to make the individual feel uncomfortable. So based on those facts, I’m sticking to my assessment of the incident.

2) As for my behavior while in the store, I can only say that I did nothing out of the ordinary and must conclude that it was something about my physical appearance they found hilarity in. As for your suggestion that they may have been laughing about an unfamiliar behavior relating to our American Culture; well that would just suggest narrow mindedness on their part wouldn’t it? The same type of behavior and attitude that people on this forum are being ostracized for all the time. Either way, that type of attitude is reprehensible and uncalled for.

I hope you found my answers to be satisfactory. There isn’t much more that I can say regarding this topic.

Ponderer

United States

#19 Jul 16, 2008
Just My 02 Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Answers to your ponderings, no pun intended. Well maybe just a little.
1) Obviously the possibility exists that I wasn’t the subject of their laughter. However, as I stated before, it was clear to me at the time and under the circumstances that was not the case. Believe me, I’m old enough to know the difference between an innocent laugh shared between friends and when that laughter comes at another’s expense. In this case me. Now let’s just suppose, as I firmly believe, that it was me they were laughing at and at the time I reached the counter I had said,” Hey guys. What’s so funny?” Are they going to respond by saying,“Sorry sir, we were laughing at you.” ABSOLUTELY NOT! Who in their right mind would? Now if they were just sharing an innocent laugh like everyone posting here wants me to believe, wouldn’t common courtesy dictate they would immediately address the issue by saying something like,“Excuse us sir, we’re not laughing at you.” Under the circumstances I know that’s what I would have done so as not to make the individual feel uncomfortable. So based on those facts, I’m sticking to my assessment of the incident.
2) As for my behavior while in the store, I can only say that I did nothing out of the ordinary and must conclude that it was something about my physical appearance they found hilarity in. As for your suggestion that they may have been laughing about an unfamiliar behavior relating to our American Culture; well that would just suggest narrow mindedness on their part wouldn’t it? The same type of behavior and attitude that people on this forum are being ostracized for all the time. Either way, that type of attitude is reprehensible and uncalled for.
I hope you found my answers to be satisfactory. There isn’t much more that I can say regarding this topic.
Yeah, interesting. I've been playing your scenario over and over in my mind since yesterday and questioning my response to you. Your story has been bothering me. I've been trying to figure out what might be behind that story. In the end, don't know what to make of this. You don't sound like a small-minded bigot. Perhaps they are the small-minded bigots. And with that comment, I don't mean to belittle anyone, just to consider equality apropos of all of us being capable of small-mindedness.

I hate it when I sense people are laughing at me. And some people will laugh and make fun of us. I respect you for taking a chance and opening yourself up to ridicule for expressing your sense that people were making fun of you.

In the end, I have to say that I fear you might be right. Perhaps you ran up against a couple of people who are small-minded bigots, an interesting example of what makes us all equally, at times, same-mindedly small-minded.

You sound like a very nice person. I hope you can take this troublesome exerience in stride and go on to have an open mind apropos our newest citizens. Of course you will.
Sam

Warrensburg, NY

#20 Jul 16, 2008
I believe they own these stores so they set the prices -- which are high -- not some "company." It may be a cultural difference that motivates them, or maybe they just want a bigger profit than similar stores.
Either way, don't buy snacks and soda at the Pakistani-owned stores unless you don't care about how much you pay. Chips and a soda can easily hit 5 bucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Essex County "Judge" Richard Meyers , "Honest "... (Jun '08) 2 hr NotGivingUp 357
Daddy's little boy 11 hr DB cool 1
Jason greenwood at it again 11 hr Lmfao 17
Sex Offenders Skirting Registration (Sep '15) 11 hr Gigi 24
Mental Health Needs Tue That explains 4
Essex County HUD ACAP Mon leaving ti 12
Slumlords in Ticonderoga (Jun '15) Mon leaving ti 56
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ticonderoga Mortgages