Wal-Mart Destroying Thanksgiving Day

Posted in the Ticonderoga Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Traditional American

Crown Point, NY

#1 Nov 15, 2012
Rather than let their customers enjoy a full Thanksgiving day, Wal-Mart wants their customers and associates to throw their Thanksgiving days away for "sales" that begin 8PM on Thanksgiving night.(Sales by the way that could probably be found as much better deals online.) So much for time spent watching the football game with friends and family or a friendly game of Scrabble with a piece of pie. I tried to post something about this last evening but apparently Wal-Mart has a protected status on Topix, so the topic was taken down. Did Wal-Mart complain?(I thought they liked to hear from their customers?) People have to let these retailers know that they cannot and must not be allowed to dictate what our culture is, or be allowed to change it, based upon their petty desire for sales. Not only should they not be running sales on Thanksgiving, they truthfully shouldn't even be open on Thanksgiving Day. How long before they are simply running sales all day long on Thanksgiving Day? If you think that Wal-Mart should stop these ridiculous sales and allow our family and our culture a priority again, please call your local Wal-Mart and let the store manager know what you think.
wow

Watertown, MA

#3 Nov 15, 2012
If you don't like when the sale starts than don't go.for your information only certain things go on sale at that time and if you feel that you can find better deals on line than shop there. There is no need for you incessant bitching if you don't like it go somewhere else
rocket surgeon

Ticonderoga, NY

#4 Nov 15, 2012
i have a very simple solution to your problem ... DON'T GO SHOPPING AT WAL-MART ON THANKSGIVING. what's more important to you: quality time with your "loved ones" or saving a couple of sheckels on the same exact crap they sell every other day of the year? "dictate" your own "culture," but don't complain about them being open. SOME PEOPLE may prefer the sheckel-savings. it's all about choices, you see.
Traditional American

Crown Point, NY

#5 Nov 15, 2012
It always strikes me as ironic that people will take the time to comment on something they don't feel is worthy of a comment. I do plan on shopping somewhere else but at the same time I feel that we have lost a sense of the holiday Thanksgiving by turning it into a crass commercial event. The shoppers are largely to blame as they have no consideration for the day or the workers that have no holiday because of the preparation involved in these circus sale events. I'm not "bitching". I'm exercising my right to free speech and standing up for the fading values of this nation. Being part of a society is more than just passively taking or leaving what comes our way. Sometimes we have to say what we are thinking before the thoughtless run the world.
Traditional American

Crown Point, NY

#6 Nov 15, 2012
It's extraordinary that people simply don't care about anything any more. Too many people are willing to let Wal-Mart and corporate executives dictate the conditions of our lives by way of what we work, when we celebrate, what we buy, when we buy it. I'm sick of these companies and their ads. They are a bunch of corporate pan handlers and they are not getting my dollar.
SAD 1

Chestertown, NY

#7 Nov 15, 2012
I believe that Thanksgiving Day should be a day that we all give thanks. Why can't Walmart open on "BLACK FRIDAY" like they have in other years?? Give the 'employees' and staff the day off and let them enjoy their day.

OH I Forgot...GREED IS THE #1 thing now!!!!
mother

Ticonderoga, NY

#8 Nov 15, 2012
It's not just Walmart it's every where. I am appalled that stores had Christmas things out at the same time as Halloween. The radio begins Christmas music tomorrow, it's not even thanksgiving. To much thanksgiving is passed right over.
SAD 1

Chestertown, NY

#9 Nov 15, 2012
That is true, it is not just Walmart. I think Target, Kmart, etc...is doing the same thing which I do not go along with.

I think the Christmas (Holiday) music should be played after Thanksgiving Day...but then I guess I am old fashioned. I guess I am dating myself.

When I grew up you didn't go shopping until the next day or the weekend and you spent the day watching the Parade, Mom got the dinner ready with our help and we ate,did dishes and sat around..maybe watch a movie. It was FAMILY TIME!!!

But, I guess those days are over,,,which is sad!!!
mother

Clinton, MA

#10 Nov 15, 2012
SAD 1 wrote:
That is true, it is not just Walmart. I think Target, Kmart, etc...is doing the same thing which I do not go along with.

I think the Christmas (Holiday) music should be played after Thanksgiving Day...but then I guess I am old fashioned. I guess I am dating myself.

When I grew up you didn't go shopping until the next day or the weekend and you spent the day watching the Parade, Mom got the dinner ready with our help and we ate,did dishes and sat around..maybe watch a movie. It was FAMILY TIME!!!

But, I guess those days are over,,,which is sad!!!
Same as when I was a child. My mom and I put up Christmas decorations on December 1 and started the Christmas music. Thanksgiving was a day for family and tradition not insane racing around for a "deal".
Traditional American

Crown Point, NY

#11 Nov 15, 2012
No one ever sits on their death bed wishing, "I wish I'd spent more time waiting in line for an I-Pad."
Observer

Ticonderoga, NY

#12 Nov 15, 2012
Well I won't be going to Walmart Thursday night.I am not a sheep.

Most things like this boil down to: "there's two kinds of people in the world"...in this case; those who wouldn't dream of shopping on Thanksgiving, and those who will because "everyone's doing it" (though this is their motivating force for almost every rationalization).

I don't find anything that a retailer does shocking anymore. I think we'll see that the novelty of shopping (coupled with the element of danger)...will win here, the alternative: doing dishes, watching football or watching people watch football, or succumbing to the effects of over-imbibing and dozing on the couch will not win.

I'm sure there will be some scenes caused by a difference of opinion that night, I hope there aren't a lot of casualties.
Joe

Plattsburgh, NY

#13 Nov 15, 2012
Well if you dont like it quit working at walmart oh wait im sorry that is all you are qualified for get a real job and enjoy the day off
WAAAAAAA

Corinth, NY

#14 Nov 15, 2012
You think you're the FIRST schmuck that had to work thanksgiving ?

I've worked in the hospitality industry for 35 years....and I doubt I had more than 2 holidays (INCLUDING Xmas) in all those years.

It's like a painter complaining he has to climb ladders !

If the vagaries of the business don't suit you, then change your field of endeavor !
DrNash

Endicott, NY

#15 Nov 16, 2012
Thanksgiving is one of the heaviest days of the year for the shoplifting public.
seriously

Brimfield, MA

#16 Nov 16, 2012
How is this Walmart ruining the holiday? IP has employees working that day as does the hospital, Stewart's, gas stations etc. it's a fact of life that some places are open on holidays. In addition no one is being forced to shop that day. If people choose to leave home to shop it's their choice. Blame their priorities.
Native one

Ticonderoga, NY

#17 Nov 16, 2012
Myth #2: The people who came across the ocean on the Mayflower were called Pilgrims.

Fact: The Plimoth settlers did not refer to themselves as “Pilgrims.” Pilgrims are people who travel for religious reasons, such as Muslims who make a pilgrimage to Mecca. Most of those who arrived here from England were religious dissidents who had broken away from the Church of England. They called themselves “Saints”; others called them “Separatists.” Some of the settlers were “Puritans,” dissidents but not separatists who wanted to “purify” the Church. It wasn’t until around the time of the American Revolution that the name “Pilgrims” came to be associated with the Plimoth settlers, and the “Pilgrims” became the symbol of American morality and Christian faith, fortitude, and family.(1)

Myth #11: Thanksgiving is a happy time.

Fact: For many Indian people,“Thanksgiving” is a time of mourning, of remembering how a gift of generosity was rewarded by theft of land and seed corn, extermination of many from disease and gun, and near total destruction of many more from forced assimilation. As currently celebrated in this country,“Thanksgiving” is a bitter reminder of 500 years of betrayal returned for friendship.
Jackal

Mineville, NY

#18 Nov 16, 2012
WAAAAAAA wrote:
You think you're the FIRST schmuck that had to work thanksgiving ?
I've worked in the hospitality industry for 35 years....and I doubt I had more than 2 holidays (INCLUDING Xmas) in all those years.
It's like a painter complaining he has to climb ladders !
If the vagaries of the business don't suit you, then change your field of endeavor !
i think what the point is here is that the schedules changed and its not "oh guess what... you will be here for __________ or else."
you knew going into the job that holidays were on the table and were probably compensated accordingly for working the holiday.
Sign Says

Ticonderoga, NY

#19 Nov 16, 2012
Close on Thanksgiving @ local Walmart
damnitbobby

Natchitoches, LA

#20 Nov 17, 2012
and who gives a sh*t
Just thinking

Albany, NY

#22 Nov 18, 2012
Jackal wrote:
<quoted text>
i think what the point is here is that the schedules changed and its not "oh guess what... you will be here for __________ or else."
you knew going into the job that holidays were on the table and were probably compensated accordingly for working the holiday.
I would say that some should feel grateful to have jobs on Thanksgiving. That we have a choice if we want to go shopping that day. If you dont stay home. Nobody makes shoppers leave home Thanksgiving Day to go to Walmart any other store. If Walmart wants to be open that's there business. Anyone who has gone to work at the store know what is expected of them. Its there choice to work there. Customers that go to the sales are the ones that keep the store open. As for me, I probably womt go shopping but glad walmart is here when I do want to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Joe Voter 6,473
police blotter? 3 hr concerned 7
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 6,391
High School Football Tue opinion 10
Ticonderoga rentals Mon sick 5
White trash Mon Bugaboo 2
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match

Ticonderoga Jobs

Ticonderoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ticonderoga News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ticonderoga

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]