Unexplained Arson

South Burlington, VT

#63 Apr 10, 2013
Any "unexplained" or unsolved Arson cases?

Since: Mar 13

Ticonderoga, NY

#64 Apr 10, 2013
Morbid Molly wrote:
<quoted text>
Any additional info available on this one? Names, Places, etc.?? I love to work on unsolved cases!
ALLISON BAKER WAS THE ONE MURDERED AND FOUND IN HAGUE....this should have been an open and shut case but due to the fact the police contaminated the crime scene (not like they actually had murder experience) and that she was not from a prominent family....no body cared...to me this is Ticonderoga's biggest unsolved crime and miscarriage of justice...Allison did not deserve what happened to her and I love to so this crime solved and the murder convicted.
Atchison building

San Diego, CA

#65 Apr 10, 2013
I don't think that this building fire was ever solved. Anyone know?
Unexplained Arson wrote:
Any "unexplained" or unsolved Arson cases?
The Portage

South Burlington, VT

#66 Apr 12, 2013
Wasn't there a few on The Portage, two or three around the same period of time? Back in the early 90s?
Atchison building

San Diego, CA

#67 Apr 16, 2013
Yep. One was the dentist office.

Another one, across the street some where. As far as I know, unsolved.
The Portage wrote:
Wasn't there a few on The Portage, two or three around the same period of time? Back in the early 90s?
A Mystery

South Burlington, VT

#68 Apr 17, 2013
It was ruled arson, I believe. Called a possible act of "eco-terrorism." ?? But, also there was a man talking around town that he never got paid for doing the job.?????
Atchison building wrote:
Yep. One was the dentist office.
Another one, across the street some where. As far as I know, unsolved.
<quoted text>
myhometowninthes eventies

Worcester, MA

#69 Feb 26, 2015
babbabooey wrote:
I'm not interested in heresay here - lets talk about REAL stuff thats happened in the Adirondacks that is interesting! Does anyone recall the "Lady in the Lake?" She supposedly drown in Mirror Lake Many years ago(30's?) then resurfaced several years ago - she was so perfectly preserved due to the cold water when she floated to the surface - how odd is that? Then there is the story of Chester Gillette - looking to "Marry up" but instead impregnated a working girl and decided to drown her - forgot the lake? Big Moose maybe? The story was made into a movie w/ Elizbeth Taylor in the 60's - Maybe a Place in the Sun? Can't quite remember but fun to talk about! Robert Garrow - also a interesting figure in our history - Was a movie ever made based on his story? If not - should have been - the man was very interesting. So many more stories - hopefully everyone out there can enlighten me and give me names of books to read that are about true crime here in the adirondacks!
"Terror In the Adirondacks" is the book about Garrow.
myhometowninthes eventies

Worcester, MA

#70 Feb 26, 2015
watchdog66 wrote:
<quoted text>ALLISON BAKER WAS THE ONE MURDERED AND FOUND IN HAGUE....this should have been an open and shut case but due to the fact the police contaminated the crime scene (not like they actually had murder experience) and that she was not from a prominent family....no body cared...to me this is Ticonderoga's biggest unsolved crime and miscarriage of justice...Allison did not deserve what happened to her and I love to so this crime solved and the murder convicted.
I remember Allison and that pig that killed her and hi band of fools that were involved and never came forward. She was not rich she was poor she was not a saint. But Allison would do anything to help anyone who needed it and there are not many in Ti that would or will. The police dept there should have been and still needs to be disbanded there is case after case of their negligence. Poor Allison and her family never got justice. And the wife of Mar Smith is the biggest idiot of all who would marry someone the whole town knows is a killer?
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#71 Feb 26, 2015
myhometownintheseventies wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Allison and that pig that killed her and hi band of fools that were involved and never came forward. She was not rich she was poor she was not a saint. But Allison would do anything to help anyone who needed it and there are not many in Ti that would or will. The police dept there should have been and still needs to be disbanded there is case after case of their negligence. Poor Allison and her family never got justice. And the wife of Mar Smith is the biggest idiot of all who would marry someone the whole town knows is a killer?
Alison was my sister, and it's true, she would help anyone who needed it. Thank you for seeing that in her. All these years, I've wondered what really happened that night, and I never knew anyone else was involved. Thank you for your kind words about Alison-they mean more to me than you will ever know.
About Alison

Boston, MA

#72 Feb 28, 2015
Alison was a good person who was born into a disadvantage home life. She had a sweet heart, and if she had any failing it was that she was too trusting. My mother talked to Alison because she was worried about her, or rather, the indecent people that were working their way into Alison's life. It seems that it was too late.

She was ultimately a victim not of the system but of specific people who failed to know and do their job adequately...just adequately.

We should offer a scholarship in Alison's name. For Alison and all the innocent women and children who have died at the hands of murderers.
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#73 Feb 28, 2015
About Alison wrote:
Alison was a good person who was born into a disadvantage home life. She had a sweet heart, and if she had any failing it was that she was too trusting. My mother talked to Alison because she was worried about her, or rather, the indecent people that were working their way into Alison's life. It seems that it was too late.
She was ultimately a victim not of the system but of specific people who failed to know and do their job adequately...just adequately.
We should offer a scholarship in Alison's name. For Alison and all the innocent women and children who have died at the hands of murderers.
Our home life was beyond disadvantaged, it was a nightmare of abject poverty and neglect. I escaped into foster care, a nightmare of a different kind, but better than where I started out. Ally just wasn't important enough to warrent justice, but she was more than important to me.
Nothing has changed

New York, NY

#74 Mar 1, 2015
Sadly and outrageously, nothing has changed in Ticonderoga or Essex County. Children continue to live in these circumstances every day.

You said is very well! They aren't important enough. I, for one, wish to thank you for having the courage to speak out about your sister's life!
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#75 Mar 18, 2015
Nothing has changed wrote:
Sadly and outrageously, nothing has changed in Ticonderoga or Essex County. Children continue to live in these circumstances every day.
You said is very well! They aren't important enough. I, for one, wish to thank you for having the courage to speak out about your sister's life!
You are right, not much has changed in this county. I'm going to testify in the case of a neglected and brutalized little boy. He suffered for 9 months before I discovered his situation and called it in. Half the town was talking about it, but not a soul was willing to go to bat for a baby that had no voice and no hope. I will be forever haunted by his eyes.Nine months of horrble abuse at the hands of his own parents, and I'm the one who gets death threats. I do this in Alison's honor, I do this to honor all the neglected and abused children I have ever known.
You are wonderful

Latham, NY

#76 Thursday Mar 19
You are a tribute to all good human beings, Patricia! God bless you.

Please keep us updated on this case! And, thank you for all you do in Alison's honor!
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#77 Tuesday Apr 7
You are wonderful wrote:
You are a tribute to all good human beings, Patricia! God bless you.
Please keep us updated on this case! And, thank you for all you do in Alison's honor!
UPDATE: This all took place in October of this year. The case has yet to go to trial, but the father is still in jail. The mom is due to have another baby in early May, and I just found out that the baby will go straight to the same foster home. This news is such a relief bc I was afraid this child would suffer the same fate. My faith in CPS (in this case) has been restored. I'll post more as the story unfolds.
CPS

South Burlington, VT

#78 Wednesday Apr 8
Which county? Clinton or Essex?
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#79 Wednesday Apr 8
CPS wrote:
Which county? Clinton or Essex?
Essex
Patricia Baker-Crandall

Plattsburgh, NY

#80 Wednesday Apr 8
watchdog66 wrote:
<quoted text>ALLISON BAKER WAS THE ONE MURDERED AND FOUND IN HAGUE....this should have been an open and shut case but due to the fact the police contaminated the crime scene (not like they actually had murder experience) and that she was not from a prominent family....no body cared...to me this is Ticonderoga's biggest unsolved crime and miscarriage of justice...Allison did not deserve what happened to her and I love to so this crime solved and the murder convicted.
I agree with u 100%. In fact, I am looking into having the case re-opened due to the fact that new information has come to light.I recieved a phone call from a woman who is terminally ill. She told me there were other people involved in Alison's death, and named 2 women. I've tracked one of them down, but not the second. That led to the information that it may not have been Mark, but one of his brothers, who killed her. Any information I can gather is helpful, so I'll entertain and follow up on any little thing I can get.
Be careful

Latham, NY

#81 Friday Apr 10
Just watch your back. They may turn on you like a snake...if you "push them" too much. And you may not even know it, until another worker whispers in your ear. There is zero transparency in that system and that is wrong. I know.
Patricia Baker-Crandall wrote:
<quoted text>Essex
Barb

Ticonderoga, NY

#82 Friday Apr 10
Some lookbacks were published in the PR:
25 YEARS — 1988
February 11, 2013
A 24-year-old Ticonderoga man was charged with the murder of a woman whose body was found along Route 9N in Hague. Mark Edward Smith of Hague Road in Ticonderoga was charged with the second-degree murder of Alison Baker, 24, of Burgoyne Road in Ticonderoga.

July 13, 2013
State police investigators testified that Mark Edward Smith was on a 10–hour beer drinking binge before he supposedly stabbed Alison Baker to death during the wintry night of Feb. 12 in Hague. According to Warren County District Attorney H. John Hendley, there is speculation that State Police investigators may have mishandled evidence from the murder scene because of rumors that Baker had AIDS, although no proof that she suffered from the disease has been released.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Press Pressrepulican 2 hr Highly unlikely 6
Ticonderoga Mysteries 3 hr Concerned sports fan 3
child endangerment (Nov '09) 10 hr Patricia Baker-Cr... 44
Drug Bust 11 hr Little Dude 1
prostitution 13 hr hmm 19
does anyone kno where he is 22 hr Charming 44
Jaime baker smith Fri Good god 2
More from around the web

Ticonderoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE