Cobleskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

I'm not interested in heresay here - lets talk about REAL stuff thats happened in the Adirondacks that is interesting! Does anyone recall the "Lady in the Lake?" She supposedly drown in Mirror Lake Many years ago(30's?) then resurfaced several years ago - she was so perfectly preserved due to the cold water when she floated to the surface - how odd is that? Then there is the story of Chester Gillette - looking to "Marry up" but instead impregnated a working girl and decided to drown her - forgot the lake? Big Moose maybe? The story was made into a movie w/ Elizbeth Taylor in the 60's - Maybe a Place in the Sun? Can't quite remember but fun to talk about! Robert Garrow - also a interesting figure in our history - Was a movie ever made based on his story? If not - should have been - the man was very interesting. So many more stories - hopefully everyone out there can enlighten me and give me names of books to read that are about true crime here in the adirondacks!
wondering

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Sounds like we have read the same crime book. Another good read is following the moonshining we had here. Between Albany and Canada, many people lived and died for the want of something hard to drink back during prohibition.
Chester Gillette

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

I can find this book "A Lady in the Lake: The True Account of Death and Discovery in Lake Placid," by George Christian Ortloff.
I didn't think that the story took place in Lake Placid.
I also couldn't find a movie of this story, which is what I thought I could find.
Does anyone know?
babbabooey wrote:
I'm not interested in heresay here - lets talk about REAL stuff thats happened in the Adirondacks that is interesting! Does anyone recall the "Lady in the Lake?" She supposedly drown in Mirror Lake Many years ago(30's?) then resurfaced several years ago - she was so perfectly preserved due to the cold water when she floated to the surface - how odd is that? Then there is the story of Chester Gillette - looking to "Marry up" but instead impregnated a working girl and decided to drown her - forgot the lake? Big Moose maybe? The story was made into a movie w/ Elizbeth Taylor in the 60's - Maybe a Place in the Sun? Can't quite remember but fun to talk about! Robert Garrow - also a interesting figure in our history - Was a movie ever made based on his story? If not - should have been - the man was very interesting. So many more stories - hopefully everyone out there can enlighten me and give me names of books to read that are about true crime here in the adirondacks!
YES

Cobleskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

I think you may be confusing two seperate incidences? The lady in the lake, I believe was actually in Mirror Lake in LP and I believe she actually committed suicide but- By your name, I'm thinking your talking of the Gillette Murder. Two books about that are A Adirondack Tragedy which is factual and Theodore Dreiser's American Tragedy which is a fictionalized account. There's been a couple movies made - most famously A Place in the Sun.
I live here

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Here is a link about the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043924/
Forgot it all

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

There are several books about murders in the Adirondacks, I can't remember them all at this time- Dancehall is one that takes place in Lake Placid I believe. Not to Change the subject but many books about Ticonderoga (part Fiction Part True) including one Ian Flemming takes place ib Lake George Area and let us not forget several novels by Sloan Wilson, one movie "A summer place" written about Rogers Rock Club and Small town. What shall we wear to the party. Also George Wilson, Sloans brother has written somethings about our area.
dont kill the messenger

New Paltz, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

lady in the lake is a different story than the one of chester gillette. that story is called murder in the adirondacks.
same as it ever was

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Book - "Privileged Information
Movie - "Sworn to Silence"

Garrow's former attorney gave a lecture earier this year in NYC. The case made him famous internationally, purportedly. Wish I had been there!
babbabooey wrote:
Robert Garrow - also a interesting figure in our history - Was a movie ever made based on his story? If not - should have been - the man was very interesting. So many more stories - hopefully everyone out there can enlighten me and give me names of books to read that are about true crime here in the adirondacks!
Sloan Wilson

Orford, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

I think it was "All the Best People" that was written about the Rogers' Rock Club.
"Small Town" was written about Ti.
"What Shall We Wear to the Party" was autobiographical, or so I've read.
Forgot it all wrote:
There are several books about murders in the Adirondacks, I can't remember them all at this time- Dancehall is one that takes place in Lake Placid I believe. Not to Change the subject but many books about Ticonderoga (part Fiction Part True) including one Ian Flemming takes place ib Lake George Area and let us not forget several novels by Sloan Wilson, one movie "A summer place" written about Rogers Rock Club and Small town. What shall we wear to the party. Also George Wilson, Sloans brother has written somethings about our area.
film

Orford, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

Okay, so then was there a film made based on "An American Tragedy?"
YES wrote:
I think you may be confusing two seperate incidences? The lady in the lake, I believe was actually in Mirror Lake in LP and I believe she actually committed suicide but- By your name, I'm thinking your talking of the Gillette Murder. Two books about that are A Adirondack Tragedy which is factual and Theodore Dreiser's American Tragedy which is a fictionalized account. There's been a couple movies made - most famously A Place in the Sun.
Garrow movie Plus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Finally found it:

"Sworn to Silence" -I hope the link works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094090/

I also read, but I can't back track to where, that they are featuring this story in an episode of "Cold Case Files" or "Most Evil." One of those shows on Discovery or the History Channel, I believe.
Hope

Acra, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

The Chester Gillette / Grace Brown was at Big Moose Lake. The first book was "Murder in the Adirondacks" and the other one based on this story was "An American Tragedy". The movie was "A PLace In The Sun" starring Montgomery Cliff and Shelly Winters as Chester and Grace. Elizabeth Taylor played the role of Harriet Benedict. This movie was nominated for 9 oscars and won 6. Chestered was electrocuted on 3/30/08.
More

Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow

Does anyone know how to add to or "edit" a wikipedia entry?
Garrow movie Plus wrote:
Finally found it:
"Sworn to Silence" -I hope the link works.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094090/
I also read, but I can't back track to where, that they are featuring this story in an episode of "Cold Case Files" or "Most Evil." One of those shows on Discovery or the History Channel, I believe.
but

Cobleskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

you click on the "edit this page" tab at the top
same as it ever was

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Thank you!!
but wrote:
you click on the "edit this page" tab at the top
James Gilks

Portland, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2009

Thought you might be interested in this. THE SERIAL KILLER MAGAZINE is now at Borders, B Dalton, Barnes and Nobel and other stores.

You can take a look at it at http://serialkillercalendar.com

The store also sells Serial Killer Trading Cards, Action Figures, Calendars and other morbid merch.

SerialKillerCalendar.com
question

Bolton Landing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

What about the Daniel's murder on the Hague Road? Did anyone ever solve that crime?
Creepy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

What murder was that? Is that the one that involved the young girl?
local dad

Watervliet, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

wondering wrote:
Sounds like we have read the same crime book. Another good read is following the moonshining we had here. Between Albany and Canada, many people lived and died for the want of something hard to drink back during prohibition.
the cottage we currently live in was used dureing prohabition as a speak easy sort of....place to buy booze...
local dad

Watervliet, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

question wrote:
What about the Daniel's murder on the Hague Road? Did anyone ever solve that crime?
do you mean the girl mark smith murderd ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apartments for rent 28 min timjohnson74656 19
Mill hiring 2 hr aunt virus 17
Richard Brown sentencing to twelve years essex ... (Sep '11) 5 hr Wow 83
Richard Brown gets out of prison and is out on ... 5 hr People 13
FEMA camps!!?!?!?!?!?!?!! (Aug '13) 13 hr Not A Sheep 31
Debate: Ferguson - Ticonderoga, NY 16 hr Mineville Moron 3
GOULD West Jordan DuRoss Moran 23 hr what it is 12

Search the Ticonderoga Forum:
•••
•••