First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Information and Comments

San Diego, CA

#1 Sep 20, 2012
I am doing a study for a writing project as follows:

I would like to know what your personal experience(s) has been with CPS, Essex County, NY.

I am seeking your story (or stories) as a *reporter* to CPS--as opposed to someone who has been investigated by CPS. You do not have to be a "mandated reporter." You might be a neighbor, friend, relative, random observer.

I am seeking information about your experience with CPS, from bottom to top. This means, what was your experience with the initial CPS worker/investigator? Did you have additional contact by the worker? Did you contact the worker more than once. If so, why? Were you asked to give a statement or signed statement? Were you asked or required to give testimony in a court of law?

As a reporter, how do you feel you were treated by CPS? Do you feel or have knowledge that your choice to become involved with a potential child abuse or maltreatment case was helpful to the child(ren)? Did you feel you experienced any type of hostile treatment by CPS? If you witnessed or had knowledge of another possible child abuse case, would you involve yourself again?

In general, how do you feel about the CPS system as you experienced it?

I will be posting an e-mail address and setting up a blog shortly. Thank you for your help.

Jackal

Mineville, NY

#2 Sep 20, 2012
big fat el oh el to this... the CPS department is just as broken as the social services department that parents it.
Taxes

Burlington, VT

#4 Sep 20, 2012
If it's so broken, then why are we paying for it?
Well

Crown Point, NY

#5 Sep 20, 2012
I have heard they will call ahead before a visit. I have seen a neighbor scramble getting rid of all the empty beer cans or send the kid somewhere before they arrive. Those with child abuse cases know how to play the system here.
Taxes

Burlington, VT

#6 Sep 20, 2012
Wow, I've heard that, too! Why in hell would they call ahead?

That would be like the policecalling a drug dealers to let them know the squad cars are on their way!???

Anybody know?
Facts

Ticonderoga, NY

#7 Sep 20, 2012
They call ahead for some follow visits but not for the initial visit.
I definitely saw the fear in that woman's eyes when they pulled in.
Not necessarily True

United States

#8 Sep 20, 2012
It depends. On the worker. And how that social work defines "initial." Is the case still an open case? Or, was it closed and now being re-opened. On and on...

I know someone who threw the worker out their house! And, instead of calling the police, she just simply closed the case and never looked back. How does THAT protect anyone, except the worker, maybe??? Wild but true story!
Neil

Bellevue, WA

#9 Sep 20, 2012
CPS of Essex County is a joke. I called them about a parent smoking pot with a 16 year old child. The response from CPS was thats the norm. Im sick of my tax dollars being waisted on this because they dont want to do anything untill its to late.
WHAT

Burlington, VT

#10 Sep 21, 2012
The "norm?" In WHAT family??? I would punish my child severely if I found out they were smoking pot. And my parents would have done the same. Some trash these people are!
ummm

Crown Point, NY

#11 Sep 21, 2012
I have personally filed a report with Essex co CPS. They called person in advance of the first visit and gave them 24 hrs notice. It's pathetic. The children are the real issue here. The case worker did absolutely nothing to get to the root of the problem. Its still a problem and the kids are still suffering for it. It makes me sick that an adult, thats being paid to protect children can ignore the problem and just collect thier pay.
Filed a Report

United States

#12 Sep 21, 2012
Who specifically did you file a report with? And, then what happened?

I want to file a report, immediiately! I don't know what the procedure is. And, they're completely iignoring me. Your story sounds just like my story, and i cannot get ONE STRAIGHT ANSWER OUT OF THESE PEOPLE.

Something very strange is going on with this agency...
river girl

Troy, NY

#13 Sep 21, 2012
seems to me part of the problems when dealing with many of the agencies in E'town can be due to the "red tape" involved. The more that can be hushed up or swept under the rug is like job security. Unfortunately, I see the same issues with the DA's office, except she needs to show a little "work" or she'll lose in the next election.

Hence, if these Essex county agencies prepare those people who need to be investigated, are they not feathering their own jobs? If they were successful with their investigations, budget expenses could be cut with the elimination of jobs within that agency. Its very much like the department budgets. Usually a department's budget is "on track" during the first half of the year.By the 3rd quarter budget items purchased are increased in such quantities, there is little or nothing left for the final year's quarter. The upshot is, a department head can show the need for the next year's budget increase, or even an emergency grant to get the department through. Of course, the items that were ordered are not ever inventoried to check and see how/why the budget line item is so out of whack.
DrNash

Endicott, NY

#14 Sep 21, 2012
Information and Comments wrote:
I am doing a study for a writing project as follows:
I would like to know what your personal experience(s) has been with CPS, Essex County, NY.
I am seeking your story (or stories) as a *reporter* to CPS--as opposed to someone who has been investigated by CPS. You do not have to be a "mandated reporter." You might be a neighbor, friend, relative, random observer.
I am seeking information about your experience with CPS, from bottom to top. This means, what was your experience with the initial CPS worker/investigator? Did you have additional contact by the worker? Did you contact the worker more than once. If so, why? Were you asked to give a statement or signed statement? Were you asked or required to give testimony in a court of law?
As a reporter, how do you feel you were treated by CPS? Do you feel or have knowledge that your choice to become involved with a potential child abuse or maltreatment case was helpful to the child(ren)? Did you feel you experienced any type of hostile treatment by CPS? If you witnessed or had knowledge of another possible child abuse case, would you involve yourself again?
In general, how do you feel about the CPS system as you experienced it?
I will be posting an e-mail address and setting up a blog shortly. Thank you for your help.
Your ONLINE DEGREE won't be worth the paper it's written on.
Name names

United States

#15 Sep 21, 2012
Interesting as Ti has both nurses
and teachers working locally who have online "diplomas" from those online diploma mills...
DrNash wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ONLINE DEGREE won't be worth the paper it's written on.
DrNash

Endicott, NY

#16 Sep 22, 2012
Name names wrote:
Interesting as Ti has both nurses
and teachers working locally who have online "diplomas" from those online diploma mills...
<quoted text>
This is why half of the population of Ti, writes at a 5th grade level and medical care is on par with veterinary care. Go to any city and your online degree will land you a job on the receiving dock or parking lot security.
chilson

Ticonderoga, NY

#17 Sep 22, 2012
the thing i have found is that..the cps worker can see things put in there notes, then the head of the department will go through the notes and make her own decision. Will it be wrong or not. I have been on the wrong side of this person, she was so change notes so that it will work to there advantage.
Except

Burlington, VT

#18 Sep 22, 2012
If you have the "right name" in Ti, they will give you a job any way. Scary, isn't it?
DrNash wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why half of the population of Ti, writes at a 5th grade level and medical care is on par with veterinary care. Go to any city and your online degree will land you a job on the receiving dock or parking lot security.
Some are good

United States

#19 Sep 22, 2012
I think, like anywhere else, it depends on the worker. Some are very good at what they do and ARE cocerned about children. And then, there are those that seem lazy, uncaring, and definitely unprofeessional. And are easily manipulated...

About the supervisors, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Someone mentioned reporting Essex Count to their parent office in Albany, FYI. If you can, always get a lawyer!!!
It was fuggin hilarious

Corinth, NY

#20 Sep 23, 2012
I used to call CPS and report random people for child abuse.

One time I even said the mother tried to drown the kids in the bathtub.

It was fuggin HILARIOUS !
Exactly

Burlington, VT

#21 Sep 23, 2012
The problem is NO TRANSPARENCY. In other words, they can do and say whatever they want, depending on anything, willy nilly, and THEN they will come back at you with "We can't tell you because it's confidential." CONFIDENTIAL.

So, no matter what end you are on, the reporter or the person reported, a family member, the child, you are screwed when it comes to what is going on behind the curtain. THIS is why people do not want to get involved. You can be a completely innocent person, trying to do the right thing to save a child (maybe a child's life) and some how, you're going to be sorry before it's over. Very sorry!

You damn well better have a lawyer!!!
Some are good wrote:
I think, like anywhere else, it depends on the worker. Some are very good at what they do and ARE cocerned about children. And then, there are those that seem lazy, uncaring, and definitely unprofeessional. And are easily manipulated...
About the supervisors, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Someone mentioned reporting Essex Count to their parent office in Albany, FYI. If you can, always get a lawyer!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ticonderogas. Drug Problem 4 hr Facts 36
How many inches of snow are we getting tonight? (Feb '10) 11 hr Txt 9764 46
Fitness near Ticonderoga 17 hr confused 6
The Person Who Died At Ti Mill Sat get real 2
Walmart backing out on price matching Sat risingsun12956 4
Apartments for rent (Mar '14) Jan 24 Old resident 26
Essex County endorses call to 'abolish' Protect... Jan 24 the post 2
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web