Essex County wants to tell sex offenders where to live

Apr 15, 2008 Full story: www.pressrepublican.com 129

Essex County is considering a local law that would bar registered sex offenders from living near schools or public playgrounds.

The law proposed by Supervisor Robert C. Dedrick (R-Ticonderoga) on Monday would be modeled on one passed last year by nearby Washington County.

Dedrick said he first began to think of the law when he learned a pair of registered sex offenders in Ticonderoga reside near schools.

"Two of them were really close in proximity (to schools), one to the High School one to St. Mary's (Catholic) School," Dedrick said. "I couldn't believe a sexual offender could be that close to our children."

Read more
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Cobleskill, NY

#1 Apr 15, 2008
Essex County wants to tell sex offenders where to live
Essex County may restrict where sex offenders live

By LOHR McKINSTRY
Staff Writer

ELIZABETHTOWN -- Essex County is considering a local law that would bar registered sex offenders from living near schools or public playgrounds.

The law proposed by Supervisor Robert C. Dedrick (R-Ticonderoga) on Monday would be modeled on one passed last year by nearby Washington County.

Dedrick said he first began to think of the law when he learned a pair of registered sex offenders in Ticonderoga reside near schools.

"Two of them were really close in proximity (to schools), one to the High School one to St. Mary's (Catholic) School," Dedrick said. "I couldn't believe a sexual offender could be that close to our children."

One of the sex offenders is classified by the state as Level II medium-risk, and the other is Level III high risk, Dedrick said. He said a Level III offender has a high probability of re-offending.

Absent a local law, there isn't much that can be done to restrict them under state law, he said, unless they are on parole or probation.

"They only thing they can't do legally is work on an ice-cream truck, period," Dedrick said.

He said at last week's Ticonderoga Town Council meeting that he wanted to move a local law restricting where they can live, but the town attorney told him a countywide law might be more effective.

The attorney said Washington County passed a county law, Dedrick said. Warren and Saratoga counties also have sex-offender residency laws.

"Sex offenders Level II and III can reside anywhere they want (in Essex County)," Dedrick said. "What this does is prevent them from residing within 1,000 feet of a school, a playground, park or day-care center."

The law would provide a $500 fine and up to six months in jail for violations. The Washington County law is being challenged in court by the American Civil Liberties Union.

"If we have people who are opposed, fine," Dedrick said. "It just bothers me there's no restriction on where they (sex offenders) live, especially Level III when it says they have a high risk to re-offend."

The local law would classify a sex offender as a person who has been convicted of a sexual offense as defined in state criminal law. It defines a residence as a place where someone sleeps. The law will not apply to sex offenders who already live within 1,000 feet of the listed facilities, but if they move after the law is passed they would have to follow it.

"I think it would be much less complicated and send a clear message if we did it countywide," Supervisor Thomas Scozzafava (R-Moriah) said. "Convicted drug dealers also should fall under this same law. I don't know if you could do it" for drug dealers.

Essex County District Attorney Julie Garcia has offered to research the law for the County Board of Supervisors.

"It's something that should be addressed, and whether it's right for Essex County," Garcia said.

Dedrick said school is almost out for the year, so they have the summer to work on a sex-offender law for Essex County before school resumes in September.
Matt Brassard

Plattsburgh, NY

#2 Apr 16, 2008
really would not affect moriah at all,seeing how the school has so much land around it, I think the furthest the county can say they have to be away from a school is 500 ft. Not sure on that though..

Since: Jun 07

Cobleskill, NY

#3 Apr 16, 2008
What this does is prevent them from residing within 1,000 feet of a school, a playground, park or day-care center.

ACTUALY there are some daycare places around moriah, mineville, witherbee, port henry.. would effect that area as well. and the beach wich is a playground area.. the public beach.
Matt Brassard

Plattsburgh, NY

#4 Apr 17, 2008
yes but those day care places have to be registered day cares and they aren't many that are in moriah, because people don't want to claim it on their taxes. question also, If they have to be 1000 ft from a beach does that mean they can't go there at all or just if there kids around? Because i know there are some places in public they are allowed and if a kid comes close to them they either have to let the parents know they are a sex offender, or get up and leave.
drew

Plattsburgh, NY

#5 Apr 18, 2008
they should have to stay and rot in there houses,scumbags
drew

Plattsburgh, NY

#6 Apr 18, 2008
no,i think they should rot in jail

“This can get messy”

Since: Apr 08

port henry (gossipville)

#7 Apr 21, 2008
good subject and I agree with all of you. the problem is getting the law enforced and and making sure it is monitored. I dont see it happening though that would be like the ones on probation not drinking and the dui's going to AA It will never happen for us to see.
Ankle bracelets

Englewood, CO

#8 Apr 21, 2008
Monitor their EVERY move for as long as they are on the registry!
WHY NOT

Middlebury, VT

#9 Apr 21, 2008
I agree!!
Ankle bracelets wrote:
Monitor their EVERY move for as long as they are on the registry!
frank

Lake George, NY

#10 May 5, 2008
i think they should be put down
bummed

Acra, NY

#11 May 8, 2008
boylej wrote:
good subject and I agree with all of you. the problem is getting the law enforced and and making sure it is monitored. I dont see it happening though that would be like the ones on probation not drinking and the dui's going to AA It will never happen for us to see.
Maybe that is a job we can give to the troopers, since there is always so many around. Isn't their job to protect and serve.
scared for children

AOL

#12 May 8, 2008
I know I am concerned about this very much. I live in the village and see two everyday on my street. One walks and one drives. The one driving I believe only was sentenced to 5 years probation and the child was 10.His probation is long over. Thats if If I understood the website correctly. I want to know as citizens, do we have a right for instance to say (as they walk by our residence) anything so they know we are aware of who they are? I know I can't say unfortunatly what I would like to, but I don't like these animals looking in the direction of my house, in my yard. Why are these people flocking our community? Our once safe haven is not at all safe anymore. It was just in the summer with campers around and such,I would worry with my girls outside or taking a walk. Now its everyday and its not fun. I have become the "mean" over protective mom, but thats what this world has become. I agree they should live in a section of town with monitoring by authorities, and a bracelet 24/7. Who has more rights children or these child molesting freaks? I don't understand our legal system and frankly I never will.
scared for my girls

Cobleskill, NY

#13 May 8, 2008
scared for children wrote:
I know I am concerned about this very much. I live in the village and see two everyday on my street. One walks and one drives. The one driving I believe only was sentenced to 5 years probation and the child was 10.His probation is long over. Thats if If I understood the website correctly. I want to know as citizens, do we have a right for instance to say (as they walk by our residence) anything so they know we are aware of who they are? I know I can't say unfortunatly what I would like to, but I don't like these animals looking in the direction of my house, in my yard. Why are these people flocking our community? Our once safe haven is not at all safe anymore. It was just in the summer with campers around and such,I would worry with my girls outside or taking a walk. Now its everyday and its not fun. I have become the "mean" over protective mom, but thats what this world has become. I agree they should live in a section of town with monitoring by authorities, and a bracelet 24/7. Who has more rights children or these child molesting freaks? I don't understand our legal system and frankly I never will.
I am afraid for my children as well, although I just had one of my daughters and the other one is only two it still scares me all the time, you never know what these sick men have in mind. I think they should all go to one area away from all of our beautiful children so our kids can feel safe. Just my opinion.
scared for my girls

Cobleskill, NY

#14 May 8, 2008
another thing is should these guys be at the wic office with all the kids in and out of there, I made my husband take my daughter outside to play away from him, I just dont' think they should be allowed there it is crazy. I understand these people have rights, but why should they have rights when they are praying on children.
D Man

Cobleskill, NY

#15 Jun 1, 2008
I think the county should just make them live in jail...one with only bread and water , no contact with the outside world and in such a way that costs me nothing like getting their food out of the garbage from local restaurants keeping our landfills cleaner. Making sure they have no light or access to books or anything that costs me a single penny to support them.
WTF

Lake George, NY

#16 Jun 1, 2008
scared for my girls wrote:
another thing is should these guys be at the wic office with all the kids in and out of there, I made my husband take my daughter outside to play away from him, I just dont' think they should be allowed there it is crazy. I understand these people have rights, but why should they have rights when they are praying on children.
The w.i.c. office in e-town ? Please shed some "light" on what exactly you mean. I go there often with my kids. We need to know. thanks....
wondering

Lake George, NY

#17 Jun 4, 2008
scared for my girls wrote:
What is this all about?
curious

Lake George, NY

#18 Oct 2, 2008
do u people relize that not all sex offenders have done things with children? u dont know the whole story behind things somtimes n mabey u should pass judgement on these people so quickly

“Amanda here !!!!!”

Since: Sep 08

West Seneca NY

#19 Oct 3, 2008
TY curious

“Share Your Heart with Someone”

Since: Jan 08

Crown Point, NY

#20 Oct 3, 2008
MilitaryBrat80 wrote:
TY curious
You obviously do not get it! We are refering to your so called BF too! Yes, they all should be made to have a monitoring device and be made to live where told to reduce this.
You are no better to reside with YOUR CHILDREN with a REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER! What mental problem limits your ability to make good choices for children that YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO PROTECT!!!!
I hope this passes and you and your BF get the boot.
To sleep with a man who has molested a child just sickens me and others I know who read these posts. I hope CPS will take your children and put them where they can be safe and not learn to become a product of seeing and living in the environment that you created for them.
Forest Gump Quote "Stupid is as Stupid does, this applies to you and your BF.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did Dipu Basu resign? (Feb '12) 3 hr Karmaisabitch 30
The Scoop 4 hr In the News 6
kaz 5 hr Clean up 3
does anyone kno where he is 6 hr whocares 2
we need a police force why? 14 hr Lockemup 19
Shutdown Construction Jobs @ Ticonderoga Mill 15 hr Better Yet 14
amber c 18 hr CLEAVER7 22
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web