Essex GOP picks Sprague for DA By LOH...

Essex GOP picks Sprague for DA By LOHR McKINSTRY

Posted in the Ticonderoga Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Cobleskill, NY

#1 Apr 1, 2009
ELIZABETHTOWN The Essex County Republican Party Committee got behind Kristy Sprague for county district attorney and incumbent Henry Hommes for sheriff Tuesday night.
Three candidates for district attorney and two for sheriff sought the party's coveted endorsement to run for office.
More than 100 Republicans packed into the Old County Courthouse, taking seats in both the main gallery and the balcony.
Candidates drew numbered ping-pong balls from a box held high by St. Armand Supervisor Joyce Morency to choose the order in which they'd address the committee.
"I always think endorsement meetings are the highlight of the year," County Republican Chair Ronald Jackson said. "When you leave, there will obviously be people happy and people disappointed. But I hope everyone will get behind our candidates."
DISTRICT ATTORNEY
Asking for endorsements for district attorney were incumbent Julie Garcia of Westport; and challengers Kristy Sprague of Plattsburgh, formerly of Moriah; and Brian Barrett of Lake Placid.
Sprague said the nomination "isn't about me" but about electing "someone with a proven track record."
She said she's recently established the North Country's first Child Advocacy Center.
"I had the opportunity to try two homicide cases, handling 50 of my own witnesses and over 700 items of evidence."
Sprague said sexual abuse and drug cases are being ignored.
"Essex County has serious problems. The present administration has created an illusion that crime rates are low and conviction rates are high."
Barrett said he's been both a prosecutor and defense attorney.
"If I'm elected, I'm going to treat everybody fairly."
Garcia was elected four years ago, in a three-way race in which Sprague was also a candidate. Sprague is an assistant DA in Clinton County, and Barrett is an attorney in private practice.
Former DA Ronald Briggs wrote committee members a scathing six-page letter criticizing Garcia's term as district attorney. Briggs decided not to run for re-election as DA four years ago, when Garcia took the party's endorsement.
Garcia said she appreciated people putting their trust in her when they first elected her DA.
She said she founded the BEST Task Force that enlisted police and other agencies in a proactive effort against drinking and driving.

Since: Nov 08

Cobleskill, NY

#2 Apr 1, 2009
"We have busted underage drinking parties, and we have pushed hard for tougher sentences for adults who provide alcohol to minors."
Listing several fatal crashes that involved alcohol, Garcia said that was why "we have one of the toughest DWI policies in New York state."
She said she intends to release her entire record soon for people to see.
The nomination went to Sprague with 8,254 votes. Garcia received 3,623 votes, and Barrett, 215.
SHERIFF
The endorsement for sheriff was sought by 12-year incumbent Henry Hommes and challenger Michael "Ike" Tyler of Westport.
Hommes is a retired state trooper, while Tyler currently serves as a state correction officer.
Hommes said this is probably the last time he'll run for sheriff.
Although he's been treated for cancer, he said his doctor told him he'd be fine to run.
"I enjoy the job. I can do the job."
Hommes said the new County Jail is making money by housing outside inmates. The sheriff has a contract with the U.S. Marshals Service that pays a per diem rate for federal inmates.
"We are taking the burden off the taxpayers." Hommes said.
Tyler countered that the level of violence at the jail has been increased by boarding federal inmates.
"The main concern I have is for the safety and well-being of the women and men who work at the Sheriff's Department. The federal inmates there, I think, are an issue."
He said it's the federal prisoners that have prompted the hiring of eight more deputies at the 120-bed jail, and a cost analysis should be done.
"I want to see the department run effectively and efficiently."
Hommes received the endorsement with 11,369 votes, to Tyler's 723. Another 422 votes were voided.
Getting the endorsement means the party asks Republicans to vote for the selected candidate, and some funding and help with petitions is available.
nhr

Schenectady, NY

#3 Apr 1, 2009
Good! The present DA is not doing all that great on convictions. Best of Luck to Kristy Sprague.
unbelievable

Waterford, NY

#4 Apr 1, 2009
You have got to be kidding. Julie questioned the hierarchy and she is punished. I saw in the paper where Joyce Morency attacked Julie because she questioned someone at the county. It was simply over a DWI coordinator. She has done a lot for Ti in four years. She has been very involved with the CYC which protects our youth and she has fought for tougher laws against driving and drinking. Check with Kristy Mars or Officer Bevins to see how much good she has done. Let's not forget the number of deaths that have been caused by alcohol and driving under the influence. We now have a D.A. that has taken a stand.Shame on us for not supporting her.
Informed

Troy, NY

#5 Apr 1, 2009
unbelievable wrote:
Check with Kristy Mars or Officer Bevins to see how much good she has done.
And how in the world are they credible sources???
Informed

Troy, NY

#6 Apr 1, 2009
unbelievable wrote:
Let's not forget the number of deaths that have been caused by alcohol and driving under the influence. We now have a D.A. that has taken a stand.Shame on us for not supporting her.
Who wouldn't take a stand? Do I expect to hear any candidate say "I support DWIs" "I don't care kids are dying on my watch!" ?? I mean, come on, anyone in that position would "take a stand" against teen drinking. What has she REALLY done is the question?? How many trials has she been lead counsel on?? How many screw ups or favors has her office pulled?? Those are the questions to ask... not - she took a stand against something obvious! Julie is a hypocrite that is a joke with the criminals, with law enforcement officers, with the lawyers and judges, here and in Rensselaer County.

The Republican committee regretted their decision to endorse her long before the deal with the DWI coordinator. That is just the last feather in their cap.
akaMax

Ashfield, MA

#7 Apr 1, 2009
"Julie questioned the hierarchy and she is punished. I saw in the paper where Joyce Morency attacked Julie because she questioned someone at the county. It was simply over a DWI coordinator."
Nope, according to what I read in the paper, she wanted to distribute several assignments from one person, to several people. Had that happened, it would have cost county taxpayers more money, that touched a nerve for me, made me question her common sense. It's hard to say how good a job she is really doing, maybe when she releases her entire record we'll know more. Unless that shows something I don't already know, she's lost my vote..
TiMe

Cobleskill, NY

#8 Apr 1, 2009
Informed wrote:
<quoted text>
Who wouldn't take a stand? Do I expect to hear any candidate say "I support DWIs" "I don't care kids are dying on my watch!" ?? I mean, come on, anyone in that position would "take a stand" against teen drinking. What has she REALLY done is the question?? How many trials has she been lead counsel on?? How many screw ups or favors has her office pulled?? Those are the questions to ask... not - she took a stand against something obvious! Julie is a hypocrite that is a joke with the criminals, with law enforcement officers, with the lawyers and judges, here and in Rensselaer County.
The Republican committee regretted their decision to endorse her long before the deal with the DWI coordinator. That is just the last feather in their cap.
WELL PUT!!! Julie is the biggest hypocrite in office at this time. Her being elected just shows how many drug atticts VOTE. I agree the Committee couldnt wait to get a decent canidate in there to endorse and have run against her. I voted for Kristy last time and I will vote for her again. Huge mistake four years ago lets pray it doesnt repeat itself.
Yankee Mom

Cobleskill, NY

#9 Apr 1, 2009
akaMax wrote:
"Julie questioned the hierarchy and she is punished. I saw in the paper where Joyce Morency attacked Julie because she questioned someone at the county. It was simply over a DWI coordinator."
Nope, according to what I read in the paper, she wanted to distribute several assignments from one person, to several people. Had that happened, it would have cost county taxpayers more money, that touched a nerve for me, made me question her common sense. It's hard to say how good a job she is really doing, maybe when she releases her entire record we'll know more. Unless that shows something I don't already know, she's lost my vote..
I got the same thing out of the article. Better luck next time Essex County
death wish

Winooski, VT

#10 Apr 1, 2009
An old truth: if you you dare "question" the good ole boys club, they'll get you.

Beginning of story. End of story. Always has been...
unbelievable wrote:
You have got to be kidding. Julie questioned the hierarchy and she is punished. I saw in the paper where Joyce Morency attacked Julie because she questioned someone at the county. It was simply over a DWI coordinator. She has done a lot for Ti in four years. She has been very involved with the CYC which protects our youth and she has fought for tougher laws against driving and drinking. Check with Kristy Mars or Officer Bevins to see how much good she has done. Let's not forget the number of deaths that have been caused by alcohol and driving under the influence. We now have a D.A. that has taken a stand.Shame on us for not supporting her.
Informed

Troy, NY

#11 Apr 1, 2009
death wish wrote:
An old truth: if you you dare "question" the good ole boys club, they'll get you.
Beginning of story. End of story. Always has been...
<quoted text>
Apparently you fail to look at the whole story, just the front and back cover. Those things in between... those are called pages. That's where the real story is.

And it's not the ol' boy network in Essex County, Joyce Morency only acts like a man. Julie is the worse thing that has happened to this county in a very long time, and Ticonderoga is soon going to experience an even worse catastrophe, Lou Sanders as Supervisor.

But, hey... the fireworks and name calling on Topix will be fun to watch. That's what it is all about anyway - entertainment and egos.
nhr

Schenectady, NY

#12 Apr 1, 2009
akaMax wrote:
If you know any one on the Rebublican Committee ask them to read the letter Mr. Briggs wrote, Very interesting and informative.MS. Sprauge has my vote!
Facts

Schoharie, NY

#13 Apr 1, 2009
Julie has forgotten the people who helped her get where she is now. Many helped her with her campaign, stuffed envelopes,put signs all over the county. She has let those facts slip by, & she has forgot who helped her when she needed it. Don't call her & ask for help, direction, or any advice because she will NOT return your calls.
akaMax

Ashfield, MA

#14 Apr 1, 2009
nhr wrote:
<quoted text> If you know any one on the Rebublican Committee ask them to read the letter Mr. Briggs wrote, Very interesting and informative.MS. Sprauge has my vote!
I know the county clerk fairly well, I'll ask him for a copy..
amen

United States

#15 Apr 1, 2009
TiMe wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL PUT!!! Julie is the biggest hypocrite in office at this time. Her being elected just shows how many drug atticts VOTE. I agree the Committee couldnt wait to get a decent canidate in there to endorse and have run against her. I voted for Kristy last time and I will vote for her again. Huge mistake four years ago lets pray it doesnt repeat itself.
can't agree more. julie garcia is a flippin joke.....GO KRISTI i pray she wins......out with the druggies and in with the normal people....
Happy to see her go

Latham, NY

#16 Apr 2, 2009
Julie was dating the biggest drug dealer known to man.yet she somehow claims to be helping solve the problem.Think again.
Go Kristy

Cobleskill, NY

#17 Apr 2, 2009
I was really disappointed when Kristy lost the race previously...I have known Kristy and her family for quite sometime and Kristy is the most real person you will meet. She is hard working, caring, honest and will tell you the way it is. I know I am talking about her with people, she is the type of person we need in this area. You will have my vote for sure Kristy!! Good luck!
Yankee Mom

Cobleskill, NY

#18 Apr 2, 2009
I have know Kristy since High School and she is a wonderful person who will do well for the community. She has a terrific record in Clinton County and will bring that to the DA's office. I was stunned when Garcia won last time it shows who votes in Essex County, lets hope they are to hung over to turn out for this round. We need change.
what

Cobleskill, NY

#19 Apr 4, 2009
Happy to see her go wrote:
Julie was dating the biggest drug dealer known to man.yet she somehow claims to be helping solve the problem.Think again.
the only thing garcia as da accomplished was a monopoly,where she tried to lock up all drug dealers with the exception of her brother whom was free to take over customers and make a fortune with no worries of prosecution by his sister
Hamburglar

Crown Point, NY

#20 Apr 5, 2009
Which brother ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carla Peters 8 hr HotForCarla 12
homosexuals 12 hr YouRang? 2
gay men that wear camo and tight jeans 12 hr HeyDinkheads 4
has anyone seen the hookers at the park lately 12 hr HeyDinkheads 9
Lisa hunsdon 14 hr PedalFucker 19
Why the bias? 14 hr Call for an upris... 3
Anthony Woods Crime 14 hr Walkitdropit 1

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance