Ticonderoga test Scores
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Education

Ticonderoga, NY

#1 Aug 10, 2013
According to Post Star Ticonderoga students scored very low compared to other schools. Only 11% of third graders passed test. Other area schools low, but Ti and Whitehall very low,Crown Point, 45%.. Article online today Post Star.
who knows

Pittsfield, MA

#2 Aug 10, 2013
Not surprising in the least.people r claiming the test is biased and don't want there children taking it...ridiculous..some areas did we all others didn't...it goes to show which schools r inadequate..not so much the students though.but the low scoring areas will suffer with children not prepared to enter the work force in years to come which equates to more welfare....how did MCS score?. Probably even worse.....can u say.....even more welfare.....get your children out of these schools so that they have a chance.
Local yocal

Memphis, TN

#3 Aug 10, 2013
Should care more about teaching and actually having kids learn some skills for life than worries over test scores - We are getting pretty good at Dumbing up American school kids !!
Lazy

Clifton Park, NY

#4 Aug 10, 2013
I remember having a teacher in Ti who would repeatedly leave the classroom to go chat with friends. He taught us very little. At the end of the year when we failed the tests, he would change it so that we would pass. All the kids liked him because of this. What they failed to realize was that he didn't really care about them or their future.
Marion Hodges

Endicott, NY

#5 Aug 10, 2013
Education wrote:
According to Post Star Ticonderoga students scored very low compared to other schools. Only 11% of third graders passed test. Other area schools low, but Ti and Whitehall very low,Crown Point, 45%.. Article online today Post Star.
Some of those 3rd graders will be 18 next year and will leave school to go to work.
Hire by NAME

San Diego, CA

#6 Aug 10, 2013
Do you think that *some* of this might have something to do with hiring "teachers" because they are either related to former teachers or other faculty/staff, or some other "connection" to someone "important." Possibly? YOU BET!!!
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#7 Aug 10, 2013
The whole test score thing kind of leaves a bad taste after they finally got that "much deserved" raise,I'm sure they have a perfectly good excuse,and I'm sure I don't want to hear it.Maybe before we absorb CPS into Ti we should shut Ti down and join Crown Point,The budget increases are more reasonable and the test scores are better! obviously better management under Brannock.
The Real Problem

Louisville, KY

#8 Aug 11, 2013
Education starts at home. If the parents do not push the kids to achieve academically, the kids won't. Bad teachers are only part of the problem. If you want your children to be laborers and service workers, don't demand that the do their homework and study for tests. Let them run around, watch TV and play their electronic games rather than having study time enforced each evening. Blame it on the schools and teachers rather than parents accepting the responsibility for their children's behavior.
MrChing

Endicott, NY

#9 Aug 11, 2013
Why need school when Welfare pay for everything? Learn to read and go to work making babies. More babies and you get more money. Everything free. Free rent, free food, free heat, free electric, free dental, free medical. No work. Teach children to be lazy means successful in life. Not be too smart or welfare make you take a job unless you get good at faking injury. Fake disability get to draw Social Security too. Parking hangtag too for spot close to door. Free electric scooter if you really lazy.(must be African-American)
Many Problems

San Diego, CA

#10 Aug 11, 2013
Education is the responsibility of every individual, every community, every government. It doesn't start or end in one place.

There MANY children in this community who come from homes where there is little or nothing but alcohol, drugs, criminal activities, violence etc. going on. Broken homes, switching parents, musical housing situations. NOT trips to the library, walks in the woods, or Sesame Street OR stability. And they are supposed to "learn" how? They are learning alright, but not the things they should be.(And these are NOT just the "poor" or "welfare" children, trust me--people with money just hide their dirt better.)

Unfortunately, we have and have had teachers and staff who simply are not qualified to teach--whether or not they managed to eke out a diploma from somewhere--and they certainly are not qualified to teach children who come from chaotic, ever-changing environments. I don't care how many teacher aides you throw at them, which is a big waste of money in my opinion.

There is the superintendent whose focus seems to be on leaving Ticonderoga, which is fine with many of us as he has not shown any ingenuity or creativity so far. It's going to take someone with a lot bigger stuff than he has to just begin to turn things around. I won't even address the problems with the school board.

In short, Ticonderoga is VERY short on intelligent, creative, qualified leadership. The test scores are just showing us what we already know.
Retardation

Burlington, VT

#11 Aug 11, 2013
Mental retardation is not fake. Don't pick on those people.
MrChing wrote:
Why need school when Welfare pay for everything? Learn to read and go to work making babies. More babies and you get more money. Everything free. Free rent, free food, free heat, free electric, free dental, free medical. No work. Teach children to be lazy means successful in life. Not be too smart or welfare make you take a job unless you get good at faking injury. Fake disability get to draw Social Security too. Parking hangtag too for spot close to door. Free electric scooter if you really lazy.(must be African-American)
Please

Port Henry, NY

#12 Aug 11, 2013
Every school through out the country has issues of children coming from chaotic situations at home.The issues here in rural Adirondack county are minute compared to other areas.It may take some research or actual travel once in awhile to realize how grateful we should be to live here and have the school districts that we do have here.I believe some are structured to have the educators teach to tests and therefore pass the tests while others stick to the basics of education and hope the students learned enough to pass the tests.
The old saying it takes a village to raise a child is true as it takes the community to provide our children with a safe atmosphere,quality education and opportunities to enjoy their childhood such as the various programs we offer them.
MrChing

Endicott, NY

#13 Aug 12, 2013
Retardation...I hear you, but what about the families that now take part in the newest scam that works like this;
They feed their 5 year old chocolate for breakfast and send them to school. Unable to sit still, the kid is diagnosed as ADHD and referred to an MD.(If the teacher refuses, demands are presented to the School Administrator, who complies) The MD prescribes Ritalin or another drug. Now the parents file with Social Security for having a disabled child. Strange how some inner-city black folks have 7 children all on Social Security for the same chocolate induced ADHD. When the kid turns 18, "Well, you can't work a job, you're disabled. You have a learning disability."
really

Wethersfield, CT

#14 Aug 12, 2013
Please wrote:
Every school through out the country has issues of children coming from chaotic situations at home.The issues here in rural Adirondack county are minute compared to other areas.It may take some research or actual travel once in awhile to realize how grateful we should be to live here and have the school districts that we do have here.I believe some are structured to have the educators teach to tests and therefore pass the tests while others stick to the basics of education and hope the students learned enough to pass the tests.
The old saying it takes a village to raise a child is true as it takes the commu LPPnity to provide our children with a safe atmosphere,quality education and opportunities to enjoy their childhood such as the various programs we offer them.
the schools here rank very low as compared to the rest of the state.get your head out of your butt.ti..MCs..c.p...Whitehall. all rank very poorly
PLEASE

Ticonderoga, NY

#15 Aug 12, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>the schools here rank very low as compared to the rest of the state.get your head out of your butt.ti..MCs..c.p...Whitehall. all rank very poorly
Check your scores again. Ti and Whitehall all were the lowest. Why the big salaries for teachers when they can't teach???
Nope

San Diego, CA

#16 Aug 12, 2013
The district puts a cap on how many IEPs they will write. No matter how many children legitimately deserve an IEP, the district isn't going to spend the money on them all. So, some children are really getting screwed. It's very sad.

Weeeell, after all, there's just so much money to go around, and you can either: 1) serve children/taxpayers OR 2) you can get a raise and keep high-end benefits.

Hmmm...
MrChing wrote:
Retardation...I hear you, but what about the families that now take part in the newest scam that works like this;
They feed their 5 year old chocolate for breakfast and send them to school. Unable to sit still, the kid is diagnosed as ADHD and referred to an MD.(If the teacher refuses, demands are presented to the School Administrator, who complies) The MD prescribes Ritalin or another drug. Now the parents file with Social Security for having a disabled child. Strange how some inner-city black folks have 7 children all on Social Security for the same chocolate induced ADHD. When the kid turns 18, "Well, you can't work a job, you're disabled. You have a learning disability."
Please

Port Henry, NY

#17 Aug 12, 2013
The trend to write IEP's and sending the children to BOCES is cycling back to keeping them at the home school and hiring extra aides.Is it really a cost saving issue or the fact that many children do not need to be segregated from the home school.All to often extra help with academics and behavioral intervention plans can turn a child around so that a child can eventually accomplish his/her school work.
Nope

San Diego, CA

#18 Aug 12, 2013
Now, here is a big problem: the "trend." Really? How about we base what an individual child needs on current scientific research? How about we hire truly qualified, certified teachers to teach them? How about we utilize outside resources to address the "behavioral" issues. Schools are educational institutions. Clinics are institution qualified (we hope) and equipped to deal with "behavioral" issues, not teachers.

My research--and I have done research--tells me that most special education teachers are woefully under-educated and under-qualified. The aides that assist them often have no training whatsoever, so throwing more aides at these children is a waste of money and a waste of the child's time and energy.

Ask anyone who has taken their child outside the district for an assessment of their child's needs.(It costs a lot of money.) These parents can tell you what is real and meaningful and what isn't. They can also tell you the truth. It's a great deal about money. God bless.
old test new test

Hudson, NY

#19 Aug 12, 2013
I think if the school sent home copies of the old NYS tests most parents could not pass them! Even the third grade one. Parents are most of the problem, the article says the new test stress critical thinking skills. Unfortunately most kids are not getting that from sitting in front of the TV watching stupid shows and playing video games.

Parents can help children to understand what more and less mean and whether to add or subtract when they go to the store and earn money. Parents expect the school to teach children everything, even common sense things, which is very hard when they have no foundation.

State testing is all about money and government, but it does show what is lacking. Parents need to turn off the TV and READ to their kids and play board games, which help children to develop logical thinking. We do these simple things with our kids and they thought the test was challenging but not stressful. WAKE UP PARENTS!
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#20 Aug 12, 2013
old test new test wrote:
I think if the school sent home copies of the old NYS tests most parents could not pass them! Even the third grade one. Parents are most of the problem, the article says the new test stress critical thinking skills. Unfortunately most kids are not getting that from sitting in front of the TV watching stupid shows and playing video games.
Parents can help children to understand what more and less mean and whether to add or subtract when they go to the store and earn money. Parents expect the school to teach children everything, even common sense things, which is very hard when they have no foundation.
State testing is all about money and government, but it does show what is lacking. Parents need to turn off the TV and READ to their kids and play board games, which help children to develop logical thinking. We do these simple things with our kids and they thought the test was challenging but not stressful. WAKE UP PARENTS!
I'm sure most of us parents would not pass the new test,that's true,But we can make change without a machine telling us "how much",and we know American history.They don't teach much of that, and what they do teach is diluted and perverted to further some kinder,gentler,political agenda that is taught to help empower some fringe demographic that never really played much of a part in what really happened.As far as the change thing,most people young enough to have school age kids in Ti.pay with a card,some credit,some debit,most benefit!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
House on lord howe again 7 min Real Man 8
To fire &ems 15 hr dontcare 7
dont buy that TRASHY rav 4 from j burroughs online 17 hr he is a scumbag 8
Champ 2000 Wed UnChamped 8
useless police Jun 19 Equity 42
homosexuals Jun 19 homophobesaregaytoo 6
Putnam School Budget Jun 18 justmytwocents 9

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance