19% school tax hike
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Of course

South Burlington, VT

#61 Apr 12, 2013
On the backs of the taxpayers.

Cut aides, cut programs that are NOT required by the state. Get rid of the teachers who are making an unreasonable amount of money in this poverty ridden community. In short...

START OVER! It's the only answer. Start over!!!
Check wrote:
Check it out, seethroughny.net give you all rates for any public employee in the state. Ti has many people not just teacher that make over 100K a year, now compare that to say Moriah who only has 1 person making over 100k. Ti has a few that make in the 90's and 80's teachers. I know a teacher in ti that started two years ago and makes over 50K already. I also know a teacher who started 2 years ago in e-town and make 38K. Ti teachers do get paid more than most in the area.
Wondering

Ticonderoga, NY

#62 Apr 12, 2013
Pay CUT..never mind the "steps". Pay CUT is a different issue,and I agree it would help the kids. Everyone else is having CUTS. Get rid of tenure, and hire new blood at lower salaries. There are milions of young, eager teachers who would love a job and may be willing to VOLUNTEER to coach, do a musical, etc. Imagine it..
Alternatives

Cohoes, NY

#63 Apr 12, 2013
What happened to wrote:
What happened to special facilities (used to be called "juvenile hall") that were funded by the STATE?? Kids that were out of control were given all their opportunities and chances and then removed from the district.(Like removing the bad apples.)
If the teachers that are already employed at the school are not specifically trained to work with kids who have behavioral problems, then it is just ANOTHER waste of money.

So, square one. Let's revisit the idea of special, state funded facilities.
<quoted text>
But even if we have these state funded facilities, guess where the state is getting that money. Oh right, from taxing people. In order to deal with the sheer number of kids (from across the state since I am sure behavior issues occur outside of just Ti) who would end up in these services we would likely need to build new facilities, and then we will have to hire people to staff them, plus we have to pay to take care of the kids who are there, which would eventually add up.

Maybe if we can have a smaller offshoot of the school (that is funded by grants) where these "troublemakers" can go and be in a smaller environment and taught by teachers that are experienced and know what they are doing (and already employed by the district) it might be worth a shot. Maybe all some of these kids need (I'm sure there are some who need to be shipped off, but most likely far from all of them) is the little extra attention that a smaller classroom learning environment can provide. The fact of the matter is that not everyone can handle being in a classroom with 20-25 other kids (and yes, some of the high school classes do have that many students in them) and the chance to participate in an alternative might just keep them from ending up in a system that all too often turns into a repetitive cycle.
benefitscut

France

#64 Apr 13, 2013
Another solution is to make the retirees pay for their benefits-- just like EVERYONE else in this country does. So much money from the budget must go to support the retired teachers-- just so they get free healthcare-- WHY?? No one should get such a free ride anymore-- make them pay-- they can afford it.
Better Ideas

San Diego, CA

#65 Apr 13, 2013
I am sooo very tired of excuses and "alternatives" being created and paid for by the innocent, functional taxpayers and their families. It is way past time to move beyond the politically correct policies which CLEARLY ARE NOT WORKING anyway!!

Expel them. Make their parents find and pay for education elsewhere.(We used to expel students, remember?)

There is A LOT to say for segregating bad behavior/people from good behavior/people.(Which is why we have jails and prisons etc.) ALL societies do it. Always have.

The State has plenty of buildings that they are already trying to dump. Use those for housing and "educating" these problem people. When they want to quit, let them!! If they try to get benefits from Social Services, don't let them. Require them to work. There is a lot of work that needs doing that isn't getting done.(For example, we could have very clean and maintained communities, litter, trash, sidewalks, etc. etc.) If they get too out of control, put an bracelet on their ankle. If they are so dysfunctional that they end up in jail, well, let's just say that they would not want to be there if I was setting up the "daily program."

Time to STOP ENABLING bad behavior.
Alternatives wrote:
<quoted text>
But even if we have these state funded facilities, guess where the state is getting that money. Oh right, from taxing people. In order to deal with the sheer number of kids (from across the state since I am sure behavior issues occur outside of just Ti) who would end up in these services we would likely need to build new facilities, and then we will have to hire people to staff them, plus we have to pay to take care of the kids who are there, which would eventually add up.
Maybe if we can have a smaller offshoot of the school (that is funded by grants) where these "troublemakers" can go and be in a smaller environment and taught by teachers that are experienced and know what they are doing (and already employed by the district) it might be worth a shot. Maybe all some of these kids need (I'm sure there are some who need to be shipped off, but most likely far from all of them) is the little extra attention that a smaller classroom learning environment can provide. The fact of the matter is that not everyone can handle being in a classroom with 20-25 other kids (and yes, some of the high school classes do have that many students in them) and the chance to participate in an alternative might just keep them from ending up in a system that all too often turns into a repetitive cycle.
just saying

Ticonderoga, NY

#66 Apr 13, 2013
Every time it is "tax hike time" the school threatens to get rid of sports. They know that the parents want sports for their children. These kids get special attention in school when on sport teams. They think if they threaten to get rid of sports the parents will all vote "yes". They say they are going to cut teachers postion yet some employees are ready for retirement they go and create new positions where they will get paid more money instead of retire and save the school money. What about that? Our school lies to us constantly and you all believe everything they say. It is also true that teachers teach 4-5 classes a day. Their spare time is their time. They can leave the school or just go to the Teachers Room and hang out with the other teachers that also have that period free. We would always wonder when some teachers ever teached because it was like their rooms were always empty and they would only teach a couple classes a day. I know some of you have a hard time beleiving this but it is true. Being an ex school employee I know a lot about what goes on at this school. Some of you would be disgusted if you knew exactly what goes on during the day. Kids would like some extra help but can't get it because teachers want their free period to be "free" so they can do what they want. A lot is wasted at this school and it is a shame. A lot of money could be saved at this school if only the school would do what needs to be done. The teachers union can give their raises up because they make so much money, but the ones that don't make that kind of money should be able to get their raises and not give them up. These include the Custodians, Kitchen Staff, Aids and Secretaries. These people are get paid peanuts compared to the teachers. Go down to the Matenence Office and 9 times out of 10 someone down their is on the computer playing Soliatair. We are paying for this. If you people only knew what goes on their.
Concerned

Cohoes, NY

#67 Apr 13, 2013
just saying wrote:
Every time it is "tax hike time" the school threatens to get rid of sports. They know that the parents want sports for their children. These kids get special attention in school when on sport teams...It is also true that teachers teach 4-5 classes a day. Their spare time is their time. They can leave the school or just go to the Teachers Room and hang out with the other teachers that also have that period free.
I find you characterization of the school to be grossly unfair. To paint such a broad swath that all teachers are doing these things is highly unfair to those teachers who do not fall into the stereotypes perpetuated by this forum. Are there teachers who fit your description, likely yes. You will likely find that in any district. Are there teachers in the high school who have 7 periods of classes scheduled? Yes. Are there teachers who give up their free periods almost everyday to help a kid who is trying to learn and do well? You bet. I may not be in the school everyday, but I have kids and their friends who are and I know how frequently they are in visiting a teacher trying to improve their work and I know they are not turned away just because the teacher wants some free time. Maybe we should shift our focus away from the teachers for once and look at other factors that affect our budget. Where can we find other places to cut costs? Can we be more conscious about energy costs? Can we cut back on paper? There have to be places that we could scale back to save money. It is time to be creative and every bit would help. While I certainly support our student-athletes and I know how much my kids enjoy playing sports we also need to look at it objectively. If we cut 20-30 teachers just so we can keep sports programs, that loss is going to impact far more than just your kid's involvement in athletics. I would rather that my kids get a strong education that will make them competitive after high school than a varsity letter that they will soon forget about and a mediocre education that closes doors to them. Cutting that many staff members could lead to even larger classes (which some of our classes could no longer handle) and reductions in programming/subjects taught. I doubt there would be time or staff for the kinds of classes that enrich and enhance knowledge, something that I would support regardless of the cost, especially if it makes my kid more ready to go off to college and the professional world.
Money not well spent

Ticonderoga, NY

#68 Apr 14, 2013
Bottom line, The burden must be shared. If every teacher took a 2 percent cut it would help. We have spent all reserves, no money. I also think our leaders have failed us. Not every school is in this boat. Did we need all the new upgrades, some, not all.. Maybe shared services such as super and business manager. Bad business planning. If they worked for any large company they would be looking for jobs. Did we need to build new offices, gyms and luxury art/music galleries, no! I learned many years ago while being self employed, you can't spend more than you earn. Best advice my dad ever gave me.
lancemysack

Mineville, NY

#69 Apr 14, 2013
fed up wrote:
I understand school is shoot for a 19% tax hike this year, hope it is only a rumor not the truth.
"i understand school is shoot for"

wow, please go back and learn how to form an actual sentence

D'OH
IN THE KNOW

Plattsburgh, NY

#70 Apr 14, 2013
NO TEACHER RAISES IN 3 YEARS AND NOW SOME THINK THEY ARE GOING TO GET BACK THOSE 3 YRS WORTH OF MONEY-WHAT A JOKE...MAYBE INSTEAD OF PLAYING ON COMPUTER AND SMART PHONES DURING CLASS THE TEACHERS SHOULD ACTUALLY TEACH INSTEAD OF JUST PUSHING STUDENTS THROUGH OR MAKING AIDS/ASSIST'S DO THEIR JOB FOR THEM
A good education

San Diego, CA

#71 Apr 14, 2013
A "good" education comes from the quality of teaching. Just because teachers are paid better or worse, work more or less, give or don't give extra time and attention doesn't mean anything unless they are "good" teachers.

It's time to dump the dead wood. It's is way past time to stop hiring teachers based on their last name and connections!! It is time to stop pandering to teachers and their union.(You can and SHOULD talk to the Governor about that!)
And most of all, it is TIME TO GET RID OF TENURE--the worst policy that ever happened to students, parents and taxpayers.(Ask about the S.H. case. Do!)

$$$$$ for teachers does NOT equal quality education. Cutting sports, et al does NOT equal quality education.(Although getting rid of over-priced administration staff is always something to discuss and take action on, always.) Figure it out; and move forward!!
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I find you characterization of the school to be grossly unfair. To paint such a broad swath that all teachers are doing these things is highly unfair to those teachers who do not fall into the stereotypes perpetuated by this forum. Are there teachers who fit your description, likely yes. You will likely find that in any district. Are there teachers in the high school who have 7 periods of classes scheduled? Yes. Are there teachers who give up their free periods almost everyday to help a kid who is trying to learn and do well? You bet. I may not be in the school everyday, but I have kids and their friends who are and I know how frequently they are in visiting a teacher trying to improve their work and I know they are not turned away just because the teacher wants some free time. Maybe we should shift our focus away from the teachers for once and look at other factors that affect our budget. Where can we find other places to cut costs? Can we be more conscious about energy costs? Can we cut back on paper? There have to be places that we could scale back to save money. It is time to be creative and every bit would help. While I certainly support our student-athletes and I know how much my kids enjoy playing sports we also need to look at it objectively. If we cut 20-30 teachers just so we can keep sports programs, that loss is going to impact far more than just your kid's involvement in athletics. I would rather that my kids get a strong education that will make them competitive after high school than a varsity letter that they will soon forget about and a mediocre education that closes doors to them. Cutting that many staff members could lead to even larger classes (which some of our classes could no longer handle) and reductions in programming/subjects taught. I doubt there would be time or staff for the kinds of classes that enrich and enhance knowledge, something that I would support regardless of the cost, especially if it makes my kid more ready to go off to college and the professional world.
Statistics Online

San Diego, CA

#72 Apr 15, 2013
Exactly!
A good education wrote:
A "good" education comes from the quality of teaching. Just because teachers are paid better or worse, work more or less, give or don't give extra time and attention doesn't mean anything unless they are "good" teachers.
It's time to dump the dead wood. It's is way past time to stop hiring teachers based on their last name and connections!! It is time to stop pandering to teachers and their union.(You can and SHOULD talk to the Governor about that!)
And most of all, it is TIME TO GET RID OF TENURE--the worst policy that ever happened to students, parents and taxpayers.(Ask about the S.H. case. Do!)
$$$$$ for teachers does NOT equal quality education. Cutting sports, et al does NOT equal quality education.(Although getting rid of over-priced administration staff is always something to discuss and take action on, always.) Figure it out; and move forward!!
<quoted text>
Cost savings

Ticonderoga, NY

#73 Apr 15, 2013
Let share a superintendent and business manager with Crown Point. I say bring in the staff from Crown Point. It seems they know how to run a school. It is unfortunate that they want to suck Crown Point into the mess they have made.
Omg NOOO

South Burlington, VT

#75 Apr 15, 2013
If there are ANY brains in Crown Point, they will never let this happen. Ever! If they do, they will be sorry, for good!!!
Cost savings wrote:
It is unfortunate that they want to suck Crown Point into the mess they have made.
Concerned

Troy, NY

#76 Apr 15, 2013
A good education wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say more money automatically equals better teachers. I was trying to make the point that if we slash staff we will most likely have to slash the educational offerings for our kids. There is no way we can continue to offer the range of art, music and specialty courses that help our kids prepare for the future if we suddenly have to cut 15 teachers.
New School

Ticonderoga, NY

#77 Apr 16, 2013
I think it time for a charter school in this community. Ticonderoga has become one large Boces program. It has taken a deep dive that they won't recover from.
I agree

South Burlington, VT

#78 Apr 16, 2013
Why not? A charter school is a great idea!

And, I agree. I just don't see how this district will recover, unless they throw out all the "bath water" and start over.
New School wrote:
I think it time for a charter school in this community. Ticonderoga has become one large Boces program. It has taken a deep dive that they won't recover from.
Absolutely Sooo

San Diego, CA

#79 Apr 17, 2013
READ Post #40 from the other Ti school thread.

ASK the administrator himself to take a deep salary cut...
Just ask!
New School wrote:
Other Schools CUTTING

San Diego, CA

#80 Apr 18, 2013
A MUST READ:

"Budget would cut Bloomingdale principalís job
Also cut: 6 other positions, summer school, districtís UPK"

and...

"The other moves include eliminating three teaching assistant positions, one job in the purchasing department, one information technology employee and one English language arts teacher."

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page ...
Hmmm Bravo

South Burlington, VT

#81 Apr 19, 2013
A school board with ethics and guts. Wow!
Other Schools CUTTING wrote:
A MUST READ:
"Budget would cut Bloomingdale principalís job
Also cut: 6 other positions, summer school, districtís UPK"
and...
"The other moves include eliminating three teaching assistant positions, one job in the purchasing department, one information technology employee and one English language arts teacher."
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patrick James Bright 1 min itzpat 11
Ti car show was disapointing 8 hr curious George 1
Ticonderoga rentals (Sep '14) 13 hr Freddy kruger 27
Busted Sun yur kiddin 6
CPS and the PD (Sep '14) Sat ti parents 5
Working for police Sat Welfare square 38
Ticonderoga Dental Clinic Fri Honest 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ticonderoga Mortgages