19% school tax hike
Taxpayers money wasted

Ticonderoga, NY

#21 Apr 3, 2013
The teachers know more than some of the consultants. Waste of tax payers money. They need properly trained individuals to deal with specific student behaviors. Instead they hire some self proclaimed consultant that just fell off the back of a turnip truck. It makes things worse and they just throw more untrained staff on the issue without addressing the real problem and adding to budget problems. Hire real professionals to handle the real issues.
Info-411

Crown Point, NY

#22 Apr 3, 2013
Here are the 3 scenarios being pitched to come up with the $700,00 needed to get to the 2% cap.

Scenario #1

-No athletics or extracurricular activities ($300,000)

-14.9 Positions reduced over various departments

Scenario #2

-Reduced Athletics and Extra-Curricular ($150,000)
Lifetime Sports (X-Country, Track, Bowling, Golf)
No Title IX Issues
Most have unlimited rosters
Activities Beyond HS
Limited Extra-Curricular

-18 Positions reduced over various departments

Scenario #3
-Elimination of Junior Varsity level sports program

-Possible Reduction of additional sports programs-

Reduced Extracurricular offerings

-19.75 Positions reduced over various departments
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#23 Apr 3, 2013
noraises wrote:
<quoted text>
Ti teachers make HUGE $$ compared to other schools. On average $60K- too much for elementary/high school. Then they hire consultants that make $100.00 per hour. Is this a joke or what?? They don't need raises-- what they need are salary cuts.
The bigger issue will be funding the retirements and the new healthcare costs that the A.C.A. will mandate starting in 2014,wait till that kicks in. We have way more staff than we need,we have almost twice as many as when I was in school,with way[ hundreds] less students.That may be good for results,[ although it's not borne out by test scores!]But just how are we to afford to keep up with the tax increases?Even if the levy is kept @ 2% it's still twice what a mill workers annual wage increase has been for over a decade! Understand that I'm not saying whether or not they are worth it,I'm just saying we will not be able to afford to live here.Half the lakefront property is up for sale,leading me to believe that the city folks can't afford to pay those killer taxes either.Kudos to N.Y.S.U.T.and nepotistic hiring practices,as I said a few years ago, insolvency looms ,our district will go bankrupt and our children will loose the most.
raises

Ticonderoga, NY

#24 Apr 4, 2013
noraises wrote:
<quoted text>
Ti teachers make HUGE $$ compared to other schools. On average $60K- too much for elementary/high school. Then they hire consultants that make $100.00 per hour. Is this a joke or what?? They don't need raises-- what they need are salary cuts.
You might want to check your facts. The average teacher salary in Ticonderoga is $48,000, 12% lower than the national average.( http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Teacher-l-Tico... )
That's in line with the other average salaries in the area. You would be hard-pressed to find one other profession where you're required to have a master's degree with average pay that low. And yet the teachers give up their raises because they care about this community and it's children. It is not their fault the state keeps cutting funding to the school. Maybe you should be asking NYS why education is being undercut so severely, and why the school's in this area are the ones suffering most.

The teachers are not the problem. Unions are not the problem. The retirement system is not the problem (it was fine, and costing very little until we bailed out all those millionaire bankers...). Valuing education is, along with our current system of funding it. Get involved. Talk to your representatives. The next generation depends on it.
Internet Degrees

San Diego, CA

#25 Apr 4, 2013
That can include an "internet" degree. Can you believe that? It's like the old "Get Your Degree By Mail!" scam.

And yes, they hire them! It ALL depends on WHO you are, that is, YOUR NAME.
Tom Morrow wrote:
<quoted text>
For the full time teachers? All of them have teaching degrees, since New York State regulations say they have to have one or be working on a masters and finish within 5 years of employment.
CUOMO and the Union

San Diego, CA

#26 Apr 4, 2013
The NYS Teachers Union gives BIIIG money to the
great A. Cuomo. It's all public record. Follow the money...

He's their bestest friend. Did you vote for him?
raises wrote:
<quoted text>The teachers are not the problem. Unions are not the problem.
fed up

Ticonderoga, NY

#27 Apr 4, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to check your facts. The average teacher salary in Ticonderoga is $48,000, 12% lower than the national average.( http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Teacher-l-Tico... )
That's in line with the other average salaries in the area. You would be hard-pressed to find one other profession where you're required to have a master's degree with average pay that low. And yet the teachers give up their raises because they care about this community and it's children. It is not their fault the state keeps cutting funding to the school. Maybe you should be asking NYS why education is being undercut so severely, and why the school's in this area are the ones suffering most.
The teachers are not the problem. Unions are not the problem. The retirement system is not the problem (it was fine, and costing very little until we bailed out all those millionaire bankers...). Valuing education is, along with our current system of funding it. Get involved. Talk to your representatives. The next generation depends on it.
That's funny as hell maybe in the 70's it's 2013 check again
RealityCheck

Framingham, MA

#28 Apr 4, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
Please name another profession that allows the employees to work 9 months a year yet receive a full time wage. The union IS part of the problem, all unions in this country FAIL to see the big picture while grabbing all they can. Paying a teacher more or less doesn't make them better or worse.

Cut sports, all they're producing are organized gangs. A bunch of kids with bad attitudes, and parents with attitudes to match. The number of students that are participating in sports vs. the money spent is disproportionate, and grossly unfair to those who either don't" make the cut" or choose not to participate for various reasons.

Lastly I'd like to address the one thing no one seems to mention in these discussions, the parents. No matter where your child attends school it's your responsibility to be sure your child is learning. The best teacher on the planet can not teach a child who doesn't come from a home that values education, and supports the student and educators. Education is not for whimps, nerds, do-gooders ect...what it is ... is essential in today's world. One very wise man said " it doesn't matter where you go to school, it's what you do with it".
RealityCheck

Framingham, MA

#29 Apr 4, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful attempt to mislead. Actually when you see the cost of living in other regions as compared to Ticonderoga our teachers are some of the highest paid. Nice try though.:-)
Unfortunately

San Diego, CA

#30 Apr 4, 2013
It's sad but it has become very true. Hasn't it? Bully kids with bully parents. And, the money is most definitely disproportionate to money spent on music, art and other programs. Very unfair.

However, I do have to say that quality academic programs DO make a big, big difference. Which is why most of the kids that I know that are in quality private schools--private does NOT equal quality--are (from my perspective) getting a better education. I travel for work, etc., so I have friends all over the country. It's the same everywhere. Unfortunately, a better education is *generally* a private education.
RealityCheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut sports, all they're producing are organized gangs. A bunch of kids with bad attitudes, and parents with attitudes to match. The number of students that are participating in sports vs. the money spent is disproportionate, and grossly unfair to those who either don't" make the cut" or choose not to participate for various reasons.

One very wise man said " it doesn't matter where you go to school, it's what you do with it".
Tom Morrow

Saratoga Springs, NY

#31 Apr 4, 2013
RealityCheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lastly I'd like to address the one thing no one seems to mention in these discussions, the parents. No matter where your child attends school it's your responsibility to be sure your child is learning. The best teacher on the planet can not teach a child who doesn't come from a home that values education, and supports the student and educators. Education is not for whimps, nerds, do-gooders ect...what it is ... is essential in today's world. One very wise man said " it doesn't matter where you go to school, it's what you do with it".
How true that is. So many of the kids around here couldn't care less about getting an education, and when they do decide to show up to school they don't do anything. Even the most effective teacher who will bend over backwards to get the material to students can't make a kid who has decided school is pointless and dumb pay attention and learn. Outside of school, if you suggest that maybe the might like to read a book, they look at you like you have 4 heads and tell you "reading is stupid and boring and a waste of time." I see kids out downtown running around the streets at night. Shouldn't they be in doing work or resting up for school the next day? Apparently not around here where education has no real value to so many in the area. There is a fundamental breakdown for so many here where they choose to see no value in education. Even so called "dumb" kids can learn and make something of themselves if they put the effort in.
Tired

Memphis, TN

#32 Apr 5, 2013
The bottom line is why are we paying anything above $48,000 to over $100,000 with major benefits for teachers to actually teach maybe 3-4 classes a day especially at the H.S. level??? We always hear " if you don't pass the budget we will take away things from the kids..." Really aren't the teachers there for the kids. Why are we always taking away from the kids and not making the teachers "TEACH". We do not need all these aids and teacher assistants, when a teacher is not teaching they should be doing study halls and assisting kids then and who better to help kids with their learning disabilities but a teacher, not an aid who is doing the work for them. Our classrooms are getting smaller and smaller, but yet we are keeping all the extra people and make the teachers earn their salaries. Instead of rubbing it in when we see them grocery shopping and tanning during the day
Failure to lead

Ticonderoga, NY

#33 Apr 5, 2013
Other schools in the area pay lower salaries and have higher test scores. Times have changed. Educating this communities children is important for the future of Ticonderoga. Our children are dropping out of school and starting families. The cycle goes on. We will see increased developmental disorders with higher special Ed costs. We will have a smaller workforce and higher entitlement households. Increased crime, child abuse and poverty. We must fix the foundation, our schools. We have lost the focus of educating of children. The big paycheck seems to matter most. Time to wake up and see the results.on paper. Look at your test results, drop out rates, and drive thru the downtown area of Ticonderoga. Money should never matter more than empowering our children.
raises

Ticonderoga, NY

#34 Apr 5, 2013
RealityCheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful attempt to mislead. Actually when you see the cost of living in other regions as compared to Ticonderoga our teachers are some of the highest paid. Nice try though.:-)
I checked again, just to see if I missed something about this.
Average pay for teachers:
Ti -$48k
Crown Point -$45k
Schroon Lake -$46k
Moriah -$42k
Putnam -$47k
Whitehall -$49k
Bolton Landing-$48k

So Ti really is in line with other area schools, with similar costs of living. We're slightly higher than some, but so is our cost of living. That compares us to places like us, not NYC or anything. If you want to say they work 9 months a year, that's fine (although any good teacher works more than that). That would account for the difference in salary between a teacher and any other profession with a similar level of education. For example, the average pay for a nurse in Ti is $65k.

People have made some very good points on this thread about they way the school could be run better or more efficiently. I'm sure some of them are true, although I don't know if the high school teachers really only work 4 periods a day. I do know that teaching is a demanding job and teachers work hard for their money. These days they feel as if they are to blame for every ill in our society. The Ti teachers have done what they could in the last few years to maintain the same programs for kids, because that's what they believe the community wants and that's what is best for kids. Please bring any new ideas to board meetings and make your voice heard.

And, to answer a question from someone else - yes, I did vote for Cuomo. And I won't be again. He has done a lot to help education downstate in rich suburban schools, all of it damaging to the rural schools up here. NYSUT did back him, and they've been fighting with him ever since (at least the upstate representatives). We need someone who cares about the Adirondacks.
Tom Morrow

Saratoga Springs, NY

#35 Apr 5, 2013
Tired wrote:
The bottom line is why are we paying anything above $48,000 to over $100,000 with major benefits for teachers to actually teach maybe 3-4 classes a day especially at the H.S. level??? We always hear " if you don't pass the budget we will take away things from the kids..." Really aren't the teachers there for the kids. Why are we always taking away from the kids and not making the teachers "TEACH". We do not need all these aids and teacher assistants, when a teacher is not teaching they should be doing study halls and assisting kids then and who better to help kids with their learning disabilities but a teacher, not an aid who is doing the work for them. Our classrooms are getting smaller and smaller, but yet we are keeping all the extra people and make the teachers earn their salaries. Instead of rubbing it in when we see them grocery shopping and tanning during the day
I'm not looking to fight or argue with anyone, but I find some of these statements to be misleading. The teachers in the high school and middle school all teach more than 3-4 periods, and many of them do run study halls and AIS classes when they are not teaching a regular class period. The special ed kids are taught by teachers. The aid are not teaching them and are not doing all of the work (at most they take a copy of the notes.) They are there to provide extra assistance if the special ed students in the class (because there are usually more than 1)need it. You can't cut many aids or assistants because a certain number are required to work with the special ed kids, otherwise there will be complaints that services aren't being offered to kids.
Not all

Burlington, VT

#36 Apr 5, 2013
Don't be fooled. Not all aides are working with special ed. students. I happen to know that some of these teachers are scared to death to lose their aides because of BEHAVIOR problems with their students (year after year), NOT special ed. students/issues.

What I wonder about it how so many schools can educate their students without aides.(Like St. Mary's.) When I went to school, there were no aides. Teachers handled their own classrooms. When my children were in school, the classrooms were getting out of control, some of them very out of control. Then we left public education.

I think some regrouping and creativity in LONG overdue!
Tom Morrow wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not looking to fight or argue with anyone, but I find some of these statements to be misleading. The teachers in the high school and middle school all teach more than 3-4 periods, and many of them do run study halls and AIS classes when they are not teaching a regular class period. The special ed kids are taught by teachers. The aid are not teaching them and are not doing all of the work (at most they take a copy of the notes.) They are there to provide extra assistance if the special ed students in the class (because there are usually more than 1)need it. You can't cut many aids or assistants because a certain number are required to work with the special ed kids, otherwise there will be complaints that services aren't being offered to kids.
Did I miss it

Pittsfield, MA

#37 Apr 6, 2013
Does anyone know the actual % of raises for teachers and staff in the budget?
Somebody knows the Truth

San Diego, CA

#38 Apr 8, 2013
This is absolutely right!
Not all wrote:
Don't be fooled. Not all aides are working with special ed. students. I happen to know that some of these teachers are scared to death to lose their aides because of BEHAVIOR problems with their students (year after year), NOT special ed. students/issues.
What I wonder about it how so many schools can educate their students without aides.(Like St. Mary's.) When I went to school, there were no aides. Teachers handled their own classrooms. When my children were in school, the classrooms were getting out of control, some of them very out of control. Then we left public education.
I think some regrouping and creativity in LONG overdue!
<quoted text>
Bullies

Ticonderoga, NY

#39 Apr 10, 2013
Somebody knows the Truth wrote:
This is absolutely right!
<quoted text>
Good aides, but also many bullies among them. Time to clean house and rebuild the system.
Check

Crown Point, NY

#40 Apr 10, 2013
Check it out, seethroughny.net give you all rates for any public employee in the state. Ti has many people not just teacher that make over 100K a year, now compare that to say Moriah who only has 1 person making over 100k. Ti has a few that make in the 90's and 80's teachers. I know a teacher in ti that started two years ago and makes over 50K already. I also know a teacher who started 2 years ago in e-town and make 38K. Ti teachers do get paid more than most in the area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Justin Handy 3 hr Riff 18
Drowning 5 hr Poor Fella 3
slumlord 16 hr ryan 66
Roofing (Jul '09) 18 hr George 8
Crystal greenwood Tue Ohhh 2
Lisa hunsdon Mon Concerned neighbors 42
Thoughts on McDonalds Crew Mon dismayed2 18

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance