19% school tax hike
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
fed up

Ticonderoga, NY

#1 Mar 21, 2013
I understand school is shoot for a 19% tax hike this year, hope it is only a rumor not the truth.
Please

Ticonderoga, NY

#2 Mar 21, 2013
Hope not..never, never will pass. Time to scale back.
DrNash

Endicott, NY

#3 Mar 22, 2013
Passing a school budget is not tricky at all. I live in Whitney Point school district. a few years ago they proposed a 27% increase and even allowed most of the students to vote on it that were 17. It got voted down, but in such cases, the "contingency" plan is then put into place, which was just a measly 24% increase.
I did a little checking and found out their budget is $33 million per year for 1500 students. Over $7 million goes to just teacher retirements and benefits. How nice is that? Not salaries or wages, benefits and retirement. In academics, you learn to steal and hoodwink the taxpayers into thinking it's all for the children...the ones that can't find Canada on a map.
taxes

Crown Point, NY

#4 Mar 23, 2013
DrNash wrote:
Passing a school budget is not tricky at all. I live in Whitney Point school district. a few years ago they proposed a 27% increase and even allowed most of the students to vote on it that were 17. It got voted down, but in such cases, the "contingency" plan is then put into place, which was just a measly 24% increase.
I did a little checking and found out their budget is $33 million per year for 1500 students. Over $7 million goes to just teacher retirements and benefits. How nice is that? Not salaries or wages, benefits and retirement. In academics, you learn to steal and hoodwink the taxpayers into thinking it's all for the children...the ones that can't find Canada on a map.
Even the sub teachers have subs ........ what waste how many teachers at our schools have a degree for teaching? not many!
Tom Morrow

Albany, NY

#5 Mar 23, 2013
taxes wrote:
<quoted text> Even the sub teachers have subs ........ what waste how many teachers at our schools have a degree for teaching? not many!
For the full time teachers? All of them have teaching degrees, since New York State regulations say they have to have one or be working on a masters and finish within 5 years of employment.
Wondering

Ticonderoga, NY

#6 Mar 24, 2013
Ahhh, yes, BUT......in the subject they are teaching???????
Hagaman ApplePolisher

Albany, NY

#7 Mar 25, 2013
What I can teach ain't in them dusty old books, sweetie.
True picture

Ticonderoga, NY

#8 Mar 25, 2013
SchoolDigger. Com
Wondering

Ticonderoga, NY

#9 Mar 25, 2013
Thank you, True Picture. Interesting. Hope others take the time to check it out..
Wow

Ticonderoga, NY

#10 Mar 27, 2013
Great information. Very sad our students score so low with that size of staff and budget. I agree people should check this out.
Info-411

Crown Point, NY

#11 Mar 27, 2013
No 19% tax hike. Board meeting last night. Board is looking to cut $700,000 to get to the 2% tax cap. Pitched 3 scenarios cutting staff, sports, music, art, and all the other extras for our children. School website has the presentation under the budget information link. Read for numbers and scenarios.
fed up

Ticonderoga, NY

#12 Mar 28, 2013
Info-411 wrote:
No 19% tax hike. Board meeting last night. Board is looking to cut $700,000 to get to the 2% tax cap. Pitched 3 scenarios cutting staff, sports, music, art, and all the other extras for our children. School website has the presentation under the budget information link. Read for numbers and scenarios.
Can only hope it's true about this , the board is finally waking up that tax payers pockets are empty
fear the future

South Glens Falls, NY

#13 Mar 29, 2013
And the following year, they will have to cut further into electives.

With the required 2% tax cap, We may not be able to even afford to provide the required core curriculum in future budgets.

That giant sucking sound you're hearing is families leaving for states that actually fund public education.
Info-411 wrote:
broke

Ticonderoga, NY

#14 Mar 29, 2013
fear the future wrote:
And the following year, they will have to cut further into electives.
With the required 2% tax cap, We may not be able to even afford to provide the required core curriculum in future budgets.
That giant sucking sound you're hearing is families leaving for states that actually fund public education.
<quoted text>
Told ya so,,, three years ago!!
Pedophile Spike

Corinth, NY

#15 Mar 29, 2013
The more money pumped into schools, the more kids can attend.

The more kids attend school, the more I get my rocks off.

Cuz I'm a pedaphile.
Tom Morrow

Albany, NY

#16 Mar 30, 2013
broke wrote:
<quoted text>Told ya so,,, three years ago!!
While the situation in Ti may be bad its not exactly much better anywhere else. There are constantly headlines about schools closing and teachers losing their jobs all over the country. They go quite nicely with the headlines about how far behind our students are. Maybe as a country we need to get our act together and actually support education instead of just passing laws the essentially amount to just extra tests and requirements that cost big bucks without providing any help or information on how to fund them or proving that the new guidelines will actually help our kids learn.
Wondering

Hartsville, SC

#17 Apr 3, 2013
If it is all about the kids(as most teachers will tell you), and it should be why is it always cutting programs, sports etc. Anyone know what the teachers raises are going to be? Perhaps that should be on the table as well!
raises

Ticonderoga, NY

#18 Apr 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
If it is all about the kids(as most teachers will tell you), and it should be why is it always cutting programs, sports etc. Anyone know what the teachers raises are going to be? Perhaps that should be on the table as well!
The Ticonderoga teachers have not received a raise in 3 years. They give them back in order to preserve programming. And I bet you'll see them giving back at least a portion of them again this year. The teacher are not the problem. It's the cuts in state funding.

The three scenarios that were presented at the last board meeting involved laying off between 14 and 24 positions and cutting programs to get to the maximum allowable tax increase.
Failure to lead

Ticonderoga, NY

#19 Apr 3, 2013
Why the HUGE renovations we could not afford? Did we really need all the upgrades. We could not afford them. Brand new gym and now talks of cutting sports. Did we need it, no! Now we are in the boat of cutting more services to students who are barely passing reading and math tests. It's time to teach.....not redecorate to keep up with the Jones. Educating a a child can be done in any room. The students of this community are failing in our schools at an alarming rate. The state test scores do not lie. School digger.Com was put on here earlier and I was amazed to see how low the scores are compared to other schools. Why?
noraises

Mesquite, NV

#20 Apr 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
The Ticonderoga teachers have not received a raise in 3 years. They give them back in order to preserve programming. And I bet you'll see them giving back at least a portion of them again this year. The teacher are not the problem. It's the cuts in state funding.
The three scenarios that were presented at the last board meeting involved laying off between 14 and 24 positions and cutting programs to get to the maximum allowable tax increase.
Ti teachers make HUGE $$ compared to other schools. On average $60K- too much for elementary/high school. Then they hire consultants that make $100.00 per hour. Is this a joke or what?? They don't need raises-- what they need are salary cuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who works for Abby 1 hr More than 10
Precription drug sales 4 hr Samantha 15
Carla Peters 4 hr Marlin Brandon 30
Darrin West 4 hr Car Dealer 5
Christina pig 4 hr Bigguns 6
keith porter 5 hr Ticonderatta 18
Who is Jesse Welch? (Jan '12) Mon brown trailor 39

Ticonderoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance