Mill Valley brain cancer patient uses his head, and blog

For the past three months, 28-year-old Brett Gibbs of Mill Valley has been engaged in a two-pronged, all-out war inside his own head. Full Story
Michelle in Novato

New Salem, MA

#1 Oct 13, 2009
So I'm thinking this must be a GBM? Why does it say inoperable but he references two surgeries? Maybe they were to do something other than try to cut out the tumor? In any event, glad to hear he's squeezing every positive thing he can out of this.
Brett

Crockett, CA

#2 Oct 17, 2009
Hey Michelle. Thanks for the comment.

The operations were related to the cyst -- the first to drain the cysts (golf ball size next to the tumor) and implant the Ommaya Reservoir, the second (emergency surgery) to drain the cyst again (Ommaya clogged) and insert a programmable shunt. The surgeries were peripheral to the tumor.

It is considered inoperable at this time because the doctors believe that operating would be a great risk -- they are scared that they could debilitate me because of the location of the tumor... de-bulking it at this point, they feel, is not worth the risk.

I am not quite sure what "GBM" stands for, but the tumor is an astrocytoma, stage three tumor... though, the doctors are treating it as a stage four because of its "tendencies" on some of the biopsy results.

Hope that helps clear things up... thanks for the well wishes.

Brett
Brett

Crockett, CA

#3 Oct 17, 2009
Michelle in Novato wrote:
So I'm thinking this must be a GBM? Why does it say inoperable but he references two surgeries? Maybe they were to do something other than try to cut out the tumor? In any event, glad to hear he's squeezing every positive thing he can out of this.

The operations were related to the cyst -- the first to drain the cysts (golf ball size next to the tumor) and implant the Ommaya Reservoir, the second (emergency surgery) to drain the cyst again (Ommaya clogged) and insert a programmable shunt. The surgeries were peripheral to the tumor.

It is considered inoperable at this time because the doctors believe that operating would be a great risk -- they are scared that they could debilitate me because of the location of the tumor... de-bulking it at this point, they feel, is not worth the risk.

I am not quite sure what "GBM" stands for, but the tumor is an astrocytoma, stage three tumor... though, the doctors are treating it as a stage four because of its "tendencies" on some of the biopsy results.

Brett
Brett

Crockett, CA

#4 Oct 17, 2009
Michelle in Novato wrote:
Brett
A Federal Judge Sez

United States

#7 Feb 10, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tiburon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 51 min Bently 19,467
How Richmond CA beat Chevron's $175 per voter Nov 17 Earl Smith taxpa... 3
Committee for Accurate and Responsible Posters ... Nov 16 Earl Smith taxpa... 4
God declares Chris Christy as earthly Bridge to... Nov 14 Monsignor Jennyta... 1
Weather Channel website ranks Marin 17th worst ... Nov 12 Steph is I 2
Richmond races Nov 5 Earl Smith taxpa... 1
Chevron money rains down on Richmond election Nov 1 Earl smith taxpayer 1
Tiburon Dating
Find my Match

Tiburon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tiburon News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tiburon

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News