Thinking of Moving to Port Wentworth

Posted in the Thunderbolt Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mommaroo

Vidalia, GA

#1 Jan 26, 2009
I've been reading all the posts--trying to get a "feel" of Port Wentworth. I live in Brunswick, and am thinking of moving to the Savannah area...
Am I going to be snubbed by the locals?
I'm 1/2 yankee, 1/2 Ga. peach--but I was born and raised in NY. Left in 1994 for Charleston, SC..for 7 years...then spent 5 yrs. in hell, which is Dallas, TX. I've been here in Brunswick for almost 3 years, but my children are moving to Savannah and Charleston and I'd like to be closer. I can't afford Charleston anymore. Pt. Wentworth looks so nice on the websites....I saw a small part of it a couple of weeks ago and it seems like the place for me. Can you tell me what the race situation is? Here in Brunswick we have a lot of run-down ghetto areas with the crime that goes with it. Are there areas to avoid in Pt. Wentworth?

Can you tell me something about the area where the new homes are? I like the Cottages at Lake Shore...I haven't had a chance to see the other new subdivisions yet...

From some of the posts I've read, I take it that yankees aren't welcome. I can understand southerners hating the yankee high-falootin attitude--I hate it myself!..But I think ya'll ought to judge a person by the kind of person he is--not by where he was born. I think the only thing yankee about me is my accent( which I can't seem to get rid of!) Will I be snubbed by the local people?
cooler in Pooler

Hilton Head Island, SC

#2 Jan 26, 2009
I lived in Savannah for 4 years and hated it! I came from Md and people just stuck there noise up at us! We moved to Pooler and we love it here! Everyone is nice and helpful! The only thing I hate is going to Walmart on the weekend because it is PACKED & the customer service sucks! My kids go to Port Wentworth and so far I hate the school! Let me just say they are Racist!
mommaroo

Vidalia, GA

#3 Jan 27, 2009
cooler in Pooler wrote:
I lived in Savannah for 4 years and hated it! I came from Md and people just stuck there noise up at us! We moved to Pooler and we love it here! Everyone is nice and helpful! The only thing I hate is going to Walmart on the weekend because it is PACKED & the customer service sucks! My kids go to Port Wentworth and so far I hate the school! Let me just say they are Racist!
Thanks for the reply. Pooler has been the alternate location for me....I'm a little confused by your last statement. In what way are they racist.....against yankees, whites, blacks, or hispanics? Or do they just hate all newcomers?
Maineflyfish

Savannah, GA

#4 Jan 28, 2009
We moved to Pooler from Maine this past summer. Everybody here has been friendly and helpful. We've noticed how everyone just smiles and waves. It makes you want to be that way too. We see a lot of military here, so that brings non-southern blood into the mix, so us yankees can fit right it. They say a yankee is one who visits here from the north, and a damn yankee is one who visits and decides to stay. Good luck with the move.

Since: Oct 07

Port Wentworth, GA

#5 Jan 31, 2009
Half of the residents moving into Lakeshore, Newport, Rice Hope and Rice Creek are Yankees, the others are refugees from Savannah. A new Elementary and Middle school is being built in The Highlands on Benton Blvd. The Highlands and Jimmy Deloach Blvd are in the City of Savannah. The old part of PW close to the Port and industrial areas should be avoided. That is where the city hall and schools are currently. It is separated form the newly by 4 miles. In the last municipal election, new councilmen were a Damnyankee from New York and a Black man! There are now 3 new resident voters for each GOB. So PW is changing. the next election will bring real CHANGE!
The SCCPSS has many other 'choice' schools available to the residents. We live across from Lakeshore, but we chose to send our children to Bloomingdale Elementary, Oglethorpe Charter, DeRenne Middle, and Savannah Arts Academy. Transportation is provided to all of these schools. Children in Lakeshore attend 6 different Elementary, 5 Middle, and 4 high schools.
mommaroo

Vidalia, GA

#6 Feb 11, 2009
toscgwsndiqz wrote:
Half of the residents moving into Lakeshore, Newport, Rice Hope and Rice Creek are Yankees, the others are refugees from Savannah. A new Elementary and Middle school is being built in The Highlands on Benton Blvd. The Highlands and Jimmy Deloach Blvd are in the City of Savannah. The old part of PW close to the Port and industrial areas should be avoided. That is where the city hall and schools are currently. It is separated form the newly by 4 miles. In the last municipal election, new councilmen were a Damnyankee from New York and a Black man! There are now 3 new resident voters for each GOB. So PW is changing. the next election will bring real CHANGE!
The SCCPSS has many other 'choice' schools available to the residents. We live across from Lakeshore, but we chose to send our children to Bloomingdale Elementary, Oglethorpe Charter, DeRenne Middle, and Savannah Arts Academy. Transportation is provided to all of these schools. Children in Lakeshore attend 6 different Elementary, 5 Middle, and 4 high schools.
I drove through the Highlands. It could take 45 minutes just to get to the main road--and not a grocer or gas station in sight. For all the houses in there, you'd think there'd be a store! I wasn't impressed. I saw Rice Hope. Impressive entrance, tons of amenities...BUT....those beautiful big houses with alleys for back yards, absolutely no privacy from any angle! It looks to me like the builder is trying to get as many houses as he can on that land! That alley thing is done in TX--and everyone puts up 8'-10' privacy fences ( all different)---UGLY!

I fell in love with the cottages at Lake Shore. We're retired, so we don't have to worry about the schools. I'm hoping to get a little house on the lake, but I understand the builder is going to leave that area for the last phase :( I hope I can wait it out.

Where is that sewage treatment plant going to be built?

I didn't drive thru Rice Creek or Newport--I know the builder of the cottages built there....Wish I had seen what the neighborhoods look like.

I had no idea you had yankees in PW! I think people from NY and NJ are the rudest. I'm originally from a small town on Long Island, about 75 miles outside of NYC. People aren't quite as rude there, but again, it depends on if they're NYC transplants...LOL

I'll be making another trip to scout around---are there any new affordable neighborhoods in Rincon?

BTW, my daughter teaches elementary school--I've heard that Chatham County pays real well because they can't keep teachers....,how true is that?

Thanks so much for your reply....hope you don't mind giving your advice again...

Joan Rooney
Bunnie 492 n Sea Port 912

United States

#7 Mar 27, 2009
I,m from Savannah idiot! That doesn't make me or anyone else from there a refugee. What excactly do you mean by that statement? My money is green and spends just like yours!!! I dont make monthly payments!!!!!!!!!! PAID CASH to build a home; what about you? We just decided to move on the outs of Savannah. I guess that's the YANKEE talk coming out of your stupid mouth. You wonder why people in Savannah turn up their nose to you jackasses. Oh by the way; yes I'm Black American!
Get over it!!!
mike

Hinesville, GA

#8 May 2, 2009
if you dont like savannah take you %$### bake to were you came from
J Hawks

AOL

#9 Jun 28, 2009
I've been in the north end of PW for over 30 years. Other than the city government it is a great place to live. Don't even think about buying or renting in the downtown are. North of I-95 is fantastic.
danielle

Pooler, GA

#10 Jul 3, 2009
mommaroo wrote:
I've been reading all the posts--trying to get a "feel" of Port Wentworth. I live in Brunswick, and am thinking of moving to the Savannah area...
I'm 1/2 yankee, 1/2 Ga. peach--but I was born and raised in NY. Left in 1994 for Charleston, SC..for 7 years...then spent 5 yrs. in hell, which is Dallas, TX. I've been here in Brunswick for almost 3 years, but my children are moving to Savannah and Charleston and I'd like to be closer. I can't afford Charleston anymore. Pt. Wentworth looks so nice on the websites....I saw a small part of it a couple of weeks ago and it seems like the place for me. Can you tell me what the race situation is? Here in Brunswick we have a lot of run-down ghetto areas with the crime that goes with it. Are there areas to avoid in Pt. Wentworth?
Can you tell me something about the area where the new homes are? I like the Cottages at Lake Shore...I haven't had a chance to see the other new subdivisions yet...
From some of the posts I've read, I take it that yankees aren't welcome. I can understand southerners hating the yankee high-falootin attitude--I hate it myself!..But I think ya'll ought to judge a person by the kind of person he is--not by where he was born. I think the only thing yankee about me is my accent( which I can't seem to get rid of!) Will I be snubbed by the local people?
i am from pittsburgh pa lived in that area my whole life....we moved here 4 years ago....and even though i hate the heat its not too bad...parts of savannah are unpleasant. we live in pooler now and are moving to pt. wentworth in aug we are building in the cottages at lake shore! i think its a nice place we have friends who live there and they like it to. our neighbors are seem very nice! my only concern is the schools
GAGIRL

Waco, TX

#11 Jan 31, 2010
toscgwsndiqz wrote:
I am from GA and getting ready to return after being gone 16 years,I guess some things still have not changed especially after reading these post!!!.So pointing out the black council person does what??
GAGIRL

Waco, TX

#12 Jan 31, 2010
mommaroo wrote:
I am from GA and getting ready to return after being gone 16 years,I guess some things still have not changed especially after reading these post!!!There are a lot of friendly people every where you go just like there are lots of not so friendly people. Don't even know how to respond to your "ghetto comment",but you get treated the way you treat people. So the same way you don't want to be snubbed by the locals...maybe less fortunate people don't want to be snubbed by you????
Jennifer

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Mar 4, 2010
I have lived in Lake Shore since the first year it was built. It's a nice quiet area and the neighbors are polite and friendly. The HOA can be a pain. The want your grass a certain way, your house pressure washed once a year, your fence a certain way, and no parking on the street. They keep property values up but it does get irritating when you get a letter about cars parked in front of your house and they belong to your neighbor! It's a nice area with good schools. If I were given a "do over" I'd still move in even with the pain int he butt HOA!:)
mommaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove through the Highlands. It could take 45 minutes just to get to the main road--and not a grocer or gas station in sight. For all the houses in there, you'd think there'd be a store! I wasn't impressed. I saw Rice Hope. Impressive entrance, tons of amenities...BUT....those beautiful big houses with alleys for back yards, absolutely no privacy from any angle! It looks to me like the builder is trying to get as many houses as he can on that land! That alley thing is done in TX--and everyone puts up 8'-10' privacy fences ( all different)---UGLY!
I fell in love with the cottages at Lake Shore. We're retired, so we don't have to worry about the schools. I'm hoping to get a little house on the lake, but I understand the builder is going to leave that area for the last phase :( I hope I can wait it out.
Where is that sewage treatment plant going to be built?
I didn't drive thru Rice Creek or Newport--I know the builder of the cottages built there....Wish I had seen what the neighborhoods look like.
I had no idea you had yankees in PW! I think people from NY and NJ are the rudest. I'm originally from a small town on Long Island, about 75 miles outside of NYC. People aren't quite as rude there, but again, it depends on if they're NYC transplants...LOL
I'll be making another trip to scout around---are there any new affordable neighborhoods in Rincon?
BTW, my daughter teaches elementary school--I've heard that Chatham County pays real well because they can't keep teachers....,how true is that?
Thanks so much for your reply....hope you don't mind giving your advice again...
Joan Rooney
cmayes1

Mead, OK

#14 Aug 23, 2010
Can you tell me the name of the builder for Rice Hope, And cotteges at lakeshore. Also any others in the area?

Since: Oct 07

Port Wentworth, GA

#15 Sep 2, 2010
cmayes1 wrote:
Can you tell me the name of the builder for Rice Hope, And cotteges at lakeshore. Also any others in the area?
Fred Williams Homebuilder, Inc
Lamar Smith Signature Homes.
Rande Duke Construction
RLGuyton

Rincon, GA

#16 Sep 12, 2010
15 posts and not one mention of the Nazi police in Port Wentworth! You gotta be kidding me! If you plan to move to PW you will be greatly disappointed. Its a filthy little city and it constantly stinks of the paper mill.
If you find yourself in either PW or Garden City my suggestion is to keep moving , avoid Rt. 21 "the Gauntlet" like the plague and never look back. Stay out of Chattham county and go just a few miles further into Effingham, you'll be glad you did.
ILPA

Savannah, GA

#17 Jan 8, 2011
Well, I read all of the comments and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. My husband and I met in Savannah. He relocated here from Pittsburgh, PA 4 years ago and I relocated here from Chicago, IL 2 years ago. We met in Savannah, fell in love, and got married in Pooler. We live in Lake Shore and we like it. We were raised not to judge people based on their race, socio-economic standards, or where someone was born. We have respect for all our neighbors. The HOA is a bit of a pain, but we feel good about move here. The only thing I dont care for is the drive on route 21 back and forth to work because of the traffic, but Lake Shore is in a great location for travels on I-95. I do have some concern over the school system and we are trying to figure out what elementary school is the best. It is a concern as well to see that some of the homes in Lake Shore are for rent.

Best of luck making your decision.
savannahfox

Savannah, GA

#18 Apr 11, 2011
We moved to South Effingham (Rincon) Georgia 5 years ago and we love it. The schools are rated very high and my children are all straight A students. The teachers are great too. When you come to town, let me know and I will more than happy to show you around. I would not live in Savannah. I work in downtown and it is busy all of the time. There are several low cost neighborhoods and a few high end neighborhoods in south Effingham and you won't be paying the high chatham county tax either. Park West is a beautiful fairly new neighborhood. So is Scuffletown. South Point is nice too. Southern Hills is beautiful and quite and all of the telephone wires and cables are buried in the ground which make it very nice to look at.
Lewis Walling FIndley Jr

Savannah, GA

#19 Jun 18, 2011
"I've been reading all the posts--trying to get a "feel" of Port Wentworth. I live in Brunswick, and am thinking of moving to the Savannah area...

From some of the posts I've read, I take it that yankees aren't welcome. I can understand southerners hating the yankee high-falootin attitude--I hate it myself!..But I think ya'll ought to judge a person by the kind of person he is--not by where he was born. I think the only thing yankee about me is my accent( which I can't seem to get rid of!) Will I be snubbed by the local people?"

Save yourself some trouble , friend, DONT move to prot wentworth, Our Post Office went titties up February 28, THANK YOU BARACK INSANE OSAMA! And The US POSTAL SERVICE,(Yep They Went Postal on us) we got a buch of jack offs workign on the north viaduct who dont know cement from concrete, they sohould be through with that viaduct around the turn of the 22nd century. The Vusiness district of Port Wntworht is as dry as nancy reagan's pussy.(God Bless her, And Ronnie Too)- Try Pooler in stead, or if youre really desperate, Garden City. But NOT PORT WENTOWRTH, we got a Matt Libby,(Thinks hes matt Dillon) Police Officer ehre.(Could Be worse, I suppose)- But My advice is TO AVOID moving to Port Wnentworth. Peace, Out, LF, PW GA
xxx

Savannah, GA

#20 May 20, 2013
Too many mad people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thunderbolt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Biking In Savannah,Georgia (Jul '13) Nov 16 Sam Smart 11
savannah. behind the conspiracy.. Nov 13 Sam Smart 1
Councilman Ernie Stanhope caught dancing win BR... Oct 29 Jasmine M 2
Protests continue in West Savannah in wake of o... Oct 29 BoBo 4
dead beet shit head cops in port wentworth GA (Jul '08) Oct 27 Jerry J 58
SCPS tops Portal 24-14 in Robertson's return Oct 24 Vanessa 1
Looking for missing uncle. Oct '14 FOUND ON MISSING ... 2
Thunderbolt Dating
Find my Match

Thunderbolt People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Thunderbolt News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Thunderbolt

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:40 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:40PM
Grading Atlanta's Positional Units in Week 12
NBC Sports 8:25 PM
Is this the end of the Mike Smith era in Atlanta?
NBC Sports12:49 AM
Hoyer recovers, leads Browns past Falcons, 26-24 - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 1:28 AM
Hilton's Big Day Highlights Colts' Transition at WR
NFL 4:42 AM
Mike Smith explains shaky clock management in loss