Mom escapes, daughter dies in Centrev...

Mom escapes, daughter dies in Centreville house fire

There are 12 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids story from Feb 28, 2008, titled Mom escapes, daughter dies in Centreville house fire. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids reports that:

A woman escaped her burning home, but the flames and heavy smoke were too much for firefighters to save her daughter. via WOOD-TV Grand Rapids

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids.

Tortured Soul

Leslie, MI

#1 Feb 29, 2008
Wow. Chained to a bed and unable to escape to safety. That's the good news. The BAD news is that CPS has had ongoing calls about this child going back as far as 1995. When the child was 3.

Good f'ng job, again.

Since: Feb 08

Lansing, MI

#2 Mar 3, 2008
ACCORDING TO THE BREAKING NEWS ARTICLE MAUREEN SORBET OF CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES OMBUDSMANS OFFICE DID NOT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THE CHILD HAD BEEN INVOLVED WITH CPS.

DONT YOU THINK THAT WITH ALL OF THE CHILDREN WHO HAVE BEEN MURDERED IN MICHIGAN UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF CPS, THAT MS SORBET WOULD OF CHECKED HER LIVING LIST AGAINST HER DEAD LIST FIRST THING?

HOW COULD SHE NOT KNOW WHETHER THERE WAS A HISTORY OF ABUSE AND CPS INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS CHILDS LIFE, NOW DEATH?????? SMACKS OF INCOMPETENCE DOESNT IT?

I WOULD FULLY EXPECT THAT SHE WOULD OF CHECKED HER LIST FIRST THING.

THE PUBLIC ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT STAND BACK AND TAKE THE FLIM FLAM. DEMAND TRUTH.

IF YOU TOO, HAVE A HORROR STORY WITH CPS PLEASE CONTACT ME AT [email protected]

HAVEN'T WE HAD ABOUT ENOUGH?
MARTHA HYDE

Lansing, MI

#3 Mar 3, 2008
ACCORDING TO THE BREAKING NEWS ARTICLE MAUREEN SORBET OF CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES OMBUDSMANS OFFICE DID NOT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THE CHILD HAD BEEN INVOLVED WITH CPS.
DONT YOU THINK THAT WITH ALL OF THE CHILDREN WHO HAVE BEEN MURDERED IN MICHIGAN UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF CPS, THAT MS SORBET WOULD OF CHECKED HER LIVING LIST AGAINST HER DEAD LIST FIRST THING?
HOW COULD SHE NOT KNOW WHETHER THERE WAS A HISTORY OF ABUSE AND CPS INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS CHILDS LIFE, NOW DEATH?????? SMACKS OF INCOMPETENCE DOESNT IT?
I WOULD FULLY EXPECT THAT SHE WOULD OF CHECKED HER LIST FIRST THING.
THE PUBLIC ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT STAND BACK AND TAKE THE FLIM FLAM. DEMAND TRUTH.
IF YOU TOO, HAVE A HORROR STORY WITH CPS PLEASE CONTACT ME AT [email protected]
HAVEN'T WE HAD ABOUT ENOUGH?
Denise Se

Goshen, IN

#4 Mar 5, 2008
I have all the sympathy in the world for the family that made a horrible mistake which resulted in the death of their child. I can completly understand measures that people might take, with the best intentions when at the end of their rope. But it infuriates me to think that the step-mother allowed the child to die in a buring house instead of alerting the firefighters of the childs location,and admit to what she had done in order to save that childs life! I can't even consider that "involuntary" manslaughter. She chose to save the secret instead of the child!
NO EXCUSE

Sturgis, MI

#5 Mar 9, 2008
I do not know this family, I only know what I read in the paper. I cannot find any excuse for the parents doing this to their daughter.
If she was so difficult to handle why wasn't this girl institutionalized? Unless I don't have all the facts. The step mom was legally blind and a disability on her own, How did the father think that she could care for his daughter?
At the least, they should be charged with recklace homicide...Why havent they been arrested yet? I do not get this one, at all. Please explain it to me someone...
And for the parents to do this right behind the courthouse building in Centreville...that just makes me think that the father must have thought he was above the law...I just want to get sick when I think of what that poor girl must have lived like. Just my opinion!
Jesse McKravitz

Fredericksburg, VA

#6 Mar 9, 2008
I've read several articles and blogs about this poor child since it happened. A family member left an interesting comment here :

http://southernsassoncrime.com/...
LetMeHelp

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2008
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/03/st_jose...

"This notice is being sent to you to inform you that your complaint of child abuse or neglect has not been accepted for investigation,"

Children's Protective Services Supervisor Cindy Bare wrote in the letter dated June 6, 2005. "The reason is: The allegation was essentially the same instance as an allegation previously reported and investigated."

Calista, 16, was chained to her bed in her second-floor bedroom when she died Feb. 27 in a fire that heavily damaged the Springers' house at 105 W. Burr Oak St. in Centreville.
----------

Do nothing for 10 years, and write in a report that the complaint has not been "ACCEPTED FOR INVESTIGATION"?

That quote by the way was written to a woman who filed a complaint, just a short year after a police officer made one.

So why didn't she just write: "Look axshole, don't bother me and tell me I have to do my job and protect children. I do what I want, when I want and I don't give a sh!t if it's a violation of DHS policy & proceedure. Now fcuk off!"

Because "Not Accepting" complaints of CHILD ABUSE for investigation, is a violation.

She won't lose her job or be punished though.
LetMeHelp

United States

#8 Mar 9, 2008
http://db.lsj.com/community/dc/som/index.php

CYNTHIA BARE

SERVICES PROGRAM MGR-3 HUMAN SERVICES- ST JOSEPH $66,335.76

----

I wonder if she still writes or encourages to be written"

""This notice is being sent to you to inform you that your complaint of child abuse or neglect has not been accepted for investigation,""

Probably, considering pay is now tied into performance and case closures.

Shoot em' all.
Jesse McKravitz

Fredericksburg, VA

#9 Mar 9, 2008
I agree that CPS is in dire need of an overhaul. However, I fault parents that put their children in need of CPS far more than I do the state.
One who knows

Canton, MI

#10 Mar 10, 2008
Jesse McKravitz wrote:
I agree that CPS is in dire need of an overhaul. However, I fault parents that put their children in need of CPS far more than I do the state.
Both the parents and DHS are equally responsible. The whole system has to be revamped. The DHS and CPS do not follow up on all complaints. Their main goal in all of these cases is reunification. They send the parent to parenting classes, pay for schooling for them, give them State aid, etc as long as they are in the system. They really don't want to listen to anything that will take them off track of their goals.
Jesse McKravitz

Fredericksburg, VA

#11 Mar 10, 2008
I think I would put a freeze on the reunification for awhile...and terminate parental rights asap, thus allowing the child/children to be released for adoption,vs foster care,which is another enterprising nightmare.
I'm at the point I don't care about the adults...it's the innocent children that suffer,and it needs to stop.
Sandy

Canton, MI

#12 Mar 10, 2008
Jesse McKravitz wrote:
I think I would put a freeze on the reunification for awhile...and terminate parental rights asap, thus allowing the child/children to be released for adoption,vs foster care,which is another enterprising nightmare.
I'm at the point I don't care about the adults...it's the innocent children that suffer,and it needs to stop.
Foster care is a good option, except the State spends way too much time shuffling these poor children from one home to another. I guess they don't want these kids to feel too comfortable and secure. Also, why is it that so many children spend so much time in foster care rather than being adopted out? Does the State receive federal dollars for each child they have in foster care? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Three Rivers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Girlfriend doesn't want to help w/ household bills (Apr '13) May '16 RecoveringDoormat 13
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) May '16 mandi10 816
Lori O'Connor Apr '16 Privateiohio 1
News Haunted: Purgatory area in Constantine, Michiga... (Jul '08) Apr '16 confusedjoneskid 208
News Man Gets 30-60 Years In Prison For Sexual Assau... Jan '16 7-17-32-34-59-(28) 1
Anna Saenz and Dustin Terry Jan '16 truth 1
News At least four victims involved in Constantine t... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Truman 1

Three Rivers Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Three Rivers Mortgages