Plane crash in St. Joseph County

Jan 6, 2009 Full story: WWMT-TV Kalamazoo

The Three Rivers Fire Department says a plane has crashed on the St. Joseph River.

Full Story
Gary Caron

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Jan 7, 2009
It is distressing to hear your report say the plane "fell" out of the sky onto the ice. I am a pilot and it is more likely that the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing on the ice. Pilots are trained to perform emergency landings and are under control during the manouver. It is probabaly not accurate to say the plane fell onto the ice. That would indicate the aircraft was not in control at the time. An aircraft falling onto the ice out of control would likely have broken through the ice.
pilot

Byron Center, MI

#2 Jan 15, 2009
Gary Caron wrote:
It is distressing to hear your report say the plane "fell" out of the sky onto the ice. I am a pilot and it is more likely that the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing on the ice. Pilots are trained to perform emergency landings and are under control during the manouver. It is probabaly not accurate to say the plane fell onto the ice. That would indicate the aircraft was not in control at the time. An aircraft falling onto the ice out of control would likely have broken through the ice.
agreed. it irks me to no end how clueless reporters are when it comes to aviation topics. btw, this was a beech bonanza (not a cessna as some news sites are reporting) and it made a forced landing because of icing. it was bound for the three rivers airport from brownsville tx by way of branson, missouri. pilot and passenger (a father and son) and a dog were all OK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Three Rivers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Dec 13 tiger74 800
lost cat! Dec 6 teddyann8886 2
Haunted: Purgatory area in Constantine, Michiga... (Jul '08) Dec 2 LeRoy 195
To be moved Nov '14 Asap 1
New in town! Oct '14 Kentucky1982 1
Byler Electric, 440 Florence Rd. in Constantine Oct '14 Birdsall 1
Review: Vicksburg Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Sep '14 surliner 2
Three Rivers Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web