Corona del mar

Stockton, CA

#3162 Feb 3, 2009
I got my 1099 yesterday from Omni. Yes, it has happened to me, too. The amount Omni listed on the 1099 didn't reflect what it has paid me.
Sami wrote:
Hello everyone,
I got my 1099 from omni and it's $13,000 above what was actually paid up to now. Please check yours, if this is happening to everyone, unless the company is planing to pay us what's owed to mach what they are claiming with IRS, I consider this fraud and the IRS should be notified. No one has to pay tax on money they never received, omni should not claim credit on money they never paid out to interpreters. It doesn't surprise me of fraud company like omni to continue its practice in such a manner, but there should be an end to it soon.
Corona del mar

Stockton, CA

#3163 Feb 3, 2009
Wow, thank you for sharing your life story. I was touched by your experiences. I, too, was a slave in my own country for 4 yrs. I was a little kid barely knew how to walk when the communist started in Southeast Asia back in the 70s. I came to the U.S when I was a teenager and started my life from scratch similar to your situation.

Yes, it is true that "luck" does not happen to everyone easily. We had to work very hard, over time, weekends, swing shift, grave shift etc. to make it to where we are now. I'm proud of your hard work and your knowledge. One of the greatest gifts you can give to your children is the gift of education. Keep it up!
midiscapes wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Thanks for words of encouragement. Still, I do not consider myself "lucky". All we accomplished in this crazy country was dearly paid with " blood, sweat, and tears" ( in fact - literally). We landed in Ohio back in spring of 1987 with one suitcase, four year old kid, and wife's seventh month +$ 400 ( all we could get when we sold our "assets" back in Poland). Also, we boasted one way passports from the Polish Bolshevik government - I must've been a "bad guy" over there, huh?. And then, when there is no way back or away, it turns out to be sort of " easier" for a person to start over. Because one has nothing to lose. We lived , and do live very frugally, doing all the tricks millionaires do to cut expenses (coupons, rebates , expenditure planning, e.t.c.). And for many years - in fact for 13 years - I was the only bread winner in the house. Working 70 hrs. a week graveyard shifts in a behemoth printing plant in NE Ohio. Nobody helped us in America and we never wxpected anyone's help. In fact, many Americans did hurt us ( mainly on purpose - possibly out of jelaousy that we started from nothing and achieved many accomplishments they were not able to achieve). We always differed from the crowd in one respect - never incurred a single penny of debt. I did some p/t college teaching in Akron U ( intro to logic - I have MS in physics and did some teaching and research back in Poland in the area of foundations of mathematics and philosophy of science). It was my second job - on a top of grave yard shift in printing :). We have three wonderful children. Mike was 4 when we landed in the US. Anna & Margaret were born here. In 2 years all of them will be out of college ( Mike is out already, Anna has got one year, and Margaret two years to go....)
Me and my wife never feared to confront life in its complexity and brutality. I've got to know myself best while being a political prisoner back in Soviet Poland. It simply takes willingness and practice ( a lot of it) to perfect self-determination and to develop something Americans call " balls".I do not claim that in order to acquire the fullest self - knowledge one has to spend time in a prison but it definitely opened some new horizons for me.
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3164 Feb 3, 2009
Lets pray to go that IRS catches them. I got mine but mine shows what they paid me exatcly. I sure hope they get paid for what they have done to people of dignity, many of us who woke up in the middle of the night to take their annoyiong calls such as Chase cards.
Sami wrote:
Hello everyone,
I got my 1099 from omni and it's $13,000 above what was actually paid up to now. Please check yours, if this is happening to everyone, unless the company is planing to pay us what's owed to mach what they are claiming with IRS, I consider this fraud and the IRS should be notified. No one has to pay tax on money they never received, omni should not claim credit on money they never paid out to interpreters. It doesn't surprise me of fraud company like omni to continue its practice in such a manner, but there should be an end to it soon.
Corona del mar

Stockton, CA

#3165 Feb 3, 2009
How did you screen those companies? Did you go to BBB report, words of mouth, from the blog or all the above?
Sometimes it is not listed on the BBB report.
Sami wrote:
<quoted text>
No, and I am glad I don't work for them. I am sorry for you to have to deal with this again with another omni-like company. I know sometimes you have limited options in choosing companies to work for, but I am screening any company before accepting any assignment from them. This is one good thing I have learned thanks to omni. I check the company's background before signing a contract and I am proud to say that I have rejected 3 companies offers so far because their background check was unsatisfactory to me. I can do that just like they can, why not!!!
You all have to be careful, many crooks out there to watch for. You work hard and you dedicate yourself and put your soul into your job, you well deserve your money, don't let them rip you off.
Life is still full of blessings despite the garbage the we have to handle (unfortunately) but if you look for the good, it will find you before you'll find it, believe me it's true. I felt desperate when I left omni, but that did not last more than a week, I became overwhelmingly busy with work in addition to a project I am working on for a year, I never thought it was possible to get this much work and still sleep all night and take weekdays off AND earn twice more than what I was earning with omni 24/7. So, I can say, I did myself a huge favor leaving omni. The same could happen to you...If not now ... Soon.
God bless you all and I faithfully wish you to get your owed money, so that you can put this behind and erase omni from your memories as if it never existed, and go on with your lives to catch more opportunities and be more successful. Amen.
Corona del mar

Stockton, CA

#3166 Feb 3, 2009
Talking about waking up in the middle of the night to accept calls, I had no idea how many times I have done that for at least 5 yrs with Network Omni while my husband was in two different schools at the same time trying to get his schooling done sooner. I worked for Omni for over 6 yrs, never received any complaint from the clients or customers, never received any warning from Omni about my performances and my professionalism. At the end, Omni treated me and many of you guys out there as if we were their slaves (financially speaking). Unbelieveable. I never wanted to bring Omni up and talked about its unethical behavior again and again, but I can't seem to forget whenever the topic came up.
Hopeful wrote:
Lets pray to go that IRS catches them. I got mine but mine shows what they paid me exatcly. I sure hope they get paid for what they have done to people of dignity, many of us who woke up in the middle of the night to take their annoyiong calls such as Chase cards.
<quoted text>
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3167 Feb 3, 2009
Corona del mar wrote:
How did you screen those companies? Did you go to BBB report, words of mouth, from the blog or all the above?
Sometimes it is not listed on the BBB report.
<quoted text>
All and some more. Also, when a company adds you with no questions to their database, and do not send you a contract first, and is in a hurry to use your service before you log on, is a sign of maliciousness- don't fall into that. I also review contracts 10 times before signing them, I often change the terms and re-write the changes in bold letters to make it a two-way contract that is mutually beneficial and not only to protect the company's interest and leave you vulnerable to their catch. If they do approve my proposed changes- we can talk business, if they don't- well it's their loss, not mine. So far, I have been successful in emphasizing my rights on any contract after Omni, I even include the term that give me the right to be able to seek jobs/employment from their clients immediately if they choose to not use my services. If they are honest, they will not object, because I am not going to steal their clients as long as they use my services, and if they have malicious intentions, they will object. I have two companies that are getting business from the same clients that I have. They found out, they offered me a contract, I let them know that this contract is in effect only during the assignment that they give me, but if outside the assignment I get a job either directly or via referrals from these same clients or prospect clients then it's not effective. It worked and they had to approve the term. What they are trying to do is to monopolize at our costs and keep us under their mercy for the jobs...I am sorry, this does not work for me anymore.... I will take any job available out there, but will not tell or ask the clients when they reach me if they are also clients of such and such companies. They can not swallow the whole world and leave me and you for begging. More clients are moving toward on-site interpreters now because of the efficiency in the service when considering the payment at the end... Guess who is the looser... That's right... And they don't even know it. GOOOOOOOOOD.

You should all focus on on-site assignments, more money and more opportunities. Oh, one more thing, I get paid the same day or within two weeks maximum for on-site service, some government agencies pay with a credit card and you get your money even in advance sometimes unless you choose to post the transaction later on.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3168 Feb 3, 2009
I am sorry if my previous post was disappointing to some OPI -interpreters that are relying only on OPI-income. But this is a weakeup call may be it's time to look for more secure income. Don't enslave yourselves anymore to anyone. Some exceptions are those who can not leave their home, OPI is the only limited option. I pray for you to be able to get out and start living. I can not tell you enough about how good I feel that I don't have to wake up 10 times per night to take those annoying calls, and ruin my health for the money I never got. You won't appreciate it until you try it. I was a tough adjustment, I felt weird the first few months not to take calls at night, I was worried that I may not get enough calls during the day if I don't take them at night and my income will be too low...BUT, my faith in God and believe were too strong, it gradually started to pick up to the point where I would have to make sure I don't overbook myself. I turn off the ringer at night because despite the fact that I don't log in some companies continue to call anyway...I see the call on the caller ID in the morning and I do not feel bad about not waking up to take it. My sleep-time is so precious and I will not give it up for any price, even for the minimum of $25/per call that I was getting for night time calls, well, let someone else who needs it leverage it. I start at 8 AM and I am done at 5 PM, occasionally I have a half a day free like today, I enjoy it. Don't deprive your mind from rest... It will turn against you. Take care of it, it's your money making investment. At one point, you'll appreciate what I am saying.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3169 Feb 3, 2009
Lastly and before I leave for my afternoon on-site assignments, don't take me wrong, I did not suggest to drop the work you have from OPI companies, what I meant is do not rely on it as a sole income source, if you can, get as much as available to you from everywhere you can...No one can stop you...Just like the old English saying: "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket" I do continue to take OPI calls but as last source of income on my free time, or I take a break from my project when a call comes if I am not on an on-site, I have the flexibility to do that and it's refreshing to me to get my mind off a little bit...BUT...I never sit and wait for the call, always busy with something else, a call comes through - it's break time.
Talk to you later.
confused

Los Angeles, CA

#3170 Feb 3, 2009
I don't trust Telelanguage anymore. They owe me $700 and they sent a check for only $100, which bounced. Now they said they will reissue the check in the same amount. This is for calls I took in October! I am getting impatient with them already. Has anyone else had difficulty collecting the right amount from them?
midiscapes

Canal Fulton, OH

#3171 Feb 3, 2009
confused wrote:
I don't trust Telelanguage anymore. They owe me $700 and they sent a check for only $100, which bounced. Now they said they will reissue the check in the same amount. This is for calls I took in October! I am getting impatient with them already. Has anyone else had difficulty collecting the right amount from them?
I didn't have a " difficulty collecting" from them because I did not take a single call from Telelanguage , as of yet. I began to suspect some stench when they replied two days after I filled out their online application . Mr. Kazuki Yamazaki called me and said he was a recruiter with Telelanguage and that they were interested in signing contract with me outright. I said ok, then after 5 minutes he emailed me "the contract" (already signed by Sabri Azizi (Telelanguage Interpreter manager). I asked the japanese guy if he needed any references from me or if I should take a test to make sure I'm "fit" to work for them. He said no there's no need. Then he gave me my id # and phone # to log in and log out. They are supposed to pay 70c per minute during 'regular' hours and 80c during 'off hours' but I forgot when 'regular hours' end......
Because Japanese was too quick to get me aboard I became a suspecting fellow. Now that many of you say Telelanguage doesn't pay or their check bounce or they don't pay what they owe but their checks still bounce, I'm taking an observer stance and do not log into their system. Let's wait and see if Telelanguage is just another "misfire" in my customer base.
midiscapes

Canal Fulton, OH

#3172 Feb 3, 2009
confused wrote:
Oh, and there was another "client" I tentatively dropped. This one is called Language Services Associates. They also were trying to place my name in their roster without checking references or testing me. They're located somewhere near Philadelphia, PA and their offices occupy whole building. I followed that lead and found out ( from www.glassdoor.com ), that their " adimistative staff's " average salary is like $ 75,000 per annum. I was then quick to figure that with this kind of expenditures not much would be left out for me, as an interpreter ( i.e. the guy who actually does THE WORK). I called Beth Krysztoforski ( I believe their recruiter) and said that unfortunately I would have to postpone my over- the - phone " orientation" that was already scheduled, and that I would keep their paperwork " on file" for 12 months :)..... how'bout that ?
From the tone of her voice I read that she was quite dissapointed. Oh, well.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3173 Feb 3, 2009
midiscapes wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't have a " difficulty collecting" from them because I did not take a single call from Telelanguage , as of yet. I began to suspect some stench when they replied two days after I filled out their online application . Mr. Kazuki Yamazaki called me and said he was a recruiter with Telelanguage and that they were interested in signing contract with me outright. I said ok, then after 5 minutes he emailed me "the contract" (already signed by Sabri Azizi (Telelanguage Interpreter manager). I asked the japanese guy if he needed any references from me or if I should take a test to make sure I'm "fit" to work for them. He said no there's no need. Then he gave me my id # and phone # to log in and log out. They are supposed to pay 70c per minute during 'regular' hours and 80c during 'off hours' but I forgot when 'regular hours' end......
Because Japanese was too quick to get me aboard I became a suspecting fellow. Now that many of you say Telelanguage doesn't pay or their check bounce or they don't pay what they owe but their checks still bounce, I'm taking an observer stance and do not log into their system. Let's wait and see if Telelanguage is just another "misfire" in my customer base.
I feel the same way. I guess we share a string instinct.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3174 Feb 3, 2009
hahaha about my self "strong instinct"
Annabelle

United States

#3175 Feb 3, 2009
It is always a good idea to check with other people who work for or have worked for a company, ask for names and contact information. If they are not willing or able to refer you to anybody, walk away. Any reputable company will be more than willing to give you references, do you due dilligence and then decide.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3176 Feb 3, 2009
midiscapes wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and there was another "client" I tentatively dropped. This one is called Language Services Associates. They also were trying to place my name in their roster without checking references or testing me. They're located somewhere near Philadelphia, PA and their offices occupy whole building. I followed that lead and found out ( from www.glassdoor.com ), that their " adimistative staff's " average salary is like $ 75,000 per annum. I was then quick to figure that with this kind of expenditures not much would be left out for me, as an interpreter ( i.e. the guy who actually does THE WORK). I called Beth Krysztoforski ( I believe their recruiter) and said that unfortunately I would have to postpone my over- the - phone " orientation" that was already scheduled, and that I would keep their paperwork " on file" for 12 months :)..... how'bout that ?
From the tone of her voice I read that she was quite dissapointed. Oh, well.
In my opinion, it is just fair to pay 50-60% to the interpreter of the amount that the company charges. That is only, if the company has a big business, they make a lot from the large amount of business (20% overhead expenses and taxes and the other 20-30% profit) for small business, you should get the 75-80% because there is no expenses on the owner except a phone bill, and you basically do the sweats. Anything below that, the company is ripping you off and not being fair to you. It's up to you to allow it based on your circumstances, but if you do allow low pay, then you are setting standards for yourself and automatically accept low pay from everyone else. It's like you are programming your subconscious that this is what I deserve, and I don't deserve anymore. I charged an attorney $60 per hour and $420 per day, his client told me that I should've charged him at least 80 per hour and the attorney was wondering why it was too cheap. It turned out that he was using a company before and was happily paying $120 per hour. There you go interpreters. DON"T SELL YOURSELVES CHEAP! you deserve the good pay.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3177 Feb 3, 2009
FYI,
All government contracts with companies and vendors are public records. Before you accept a pay rate from a company, check first what they charge the government per minute, just to have an idea what percentage you should get from that. Go to the city, state and federal procurement sites and look for active and closed contracts, find the company of your interest, then check all of their rates... Everything should be on there... It's public records.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3178 Feb 3, 2009
I am telling ya...This internet is a blessing...
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3179 Feb 3, 2009
FYI-2
Some client agencies are very strict and demanding. They require that all interpreters that are going to take their calls be screened/tested and pre-qualified. That's besides the OPI company's requirements. So, some c o m p a n i e s, use the best interpreters to put in their show-case just til the client agency approves it and gives the OK to go ahead and use the service, or they may call it a trial period, then once the client is comfortable, they switch their list to the old, cheap interpreters to the one they have been using (less qualified and cheaper pay rate) Now the client has signe a contract and fell into the trap. That's why, in case you were wondering, s o m e c o m p a n i e s express interest in your impressive resume and make you go through several steps of testing and qualifying screening so that they have you for show off festivals, but when it comes to distributing calls, all the $0.50 and $0.60 interpreter take the call and you are waiting and waiting and waiting UNTIL.... Some $0.50-$0.60 folks make a fatal mistake and drop or miss a call, and noooooo other $0.50-$0.60 OPI is available to take it, then you are the life savior of the OPI-company. So be prepared for this. That's why it is so good to be logged on to soooooo many c o m p a n i e s at the same time to catch all of those missed/dropped calls from others. At the end, you are the big winner. Despite the fact that they may say: oh, well we haven't been too busy for your language today, hang in there blah blah yadi yada....And suddenly, you get a call... The client tells you: OH.. Thank god they found one after all, we've been waiting for 20 minutes for the interpreter" And you wonder... Hummm, I have been logged on for a few hours and no calls coming, how come the client is saying that?, You try to think, well, may be they were connected to my company from another company that did not have the interpreter available, BUT, when at the end of the call they ask if they can be connected to you by asking for you in particular and you find out from them that they did call in fact your company directly and did not get forwarded from one to another company and they tell you that the representative (by name) told them that all interpreters are on the line at the moment and if she or he would be willing to wait.... Oh my... and you ask them which company did they call, just to confirm your suspicion, and YOU ARE RIGHT.... They have tried all other interpreters starting from the lowest paid one and ending up with you.... The clients are not aware that they have been scammed and deceived regarding the quality of the interpreters and service. Of course, no offence to any interpreter, but you all agree that the degree of qalification and # of years in experience vary, and upon that depends what you should get paid...Am I right?

Did this happen to anybody else? I am sure it did.
Corona del mar

United States

#3180 Feb 3, 2009
Sami,
Thanks for your input. You always bring us hope and insights. I appreciate you.
Sami

Tucson, AZ

#3181 Feb 3, 2009
Corona del mar wrote:
Sami,
Thanks for your input. You always bring us hope and insights. I appreciate you.
You are welcome Corona del mar, you are so sweet too. I admire your patience and diligence. Though I did not have time recently to communicate, but I am glad I got some time this week since I too a huge exam and trying to rest before continuing. I have sporadically read some comments while eating dinner, but did not want to engage, the amount of workload that I am dealing with is tiring me. I hope all of you get good jobs with respectful and honest companies, and get all what's owed soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thousand Oaks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ventura County family law courts seek public in... (May '06) Thu caliguy 46
Thousand Oaks Mayor Proclaims April 25th Parent... Apr 16 Deborah Shreffler 1
News The Greatest Evangelistic Tool of All Time Apr 16 Dork Alert 1
News Simi Valley Man Arrested After Allegedly Carryi... Apr 12 jake 1
Collage Apr 12 gab 38
News Transgender Bruce Jenner will be lesbian after ... Apr 10 Dont care 147
Malibu Music Emporium (Oct '12) Apr 5 Musikologist 16
More from around the web

Thousand Oaks People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]