Positive Spirit

Carlsbad, CA

#3102 Jan 29, 2009
Yes, Tina was in need of Spanish OPI and I did refer one the folks at this blog to her and she hired him. So, please feel free to contact Tina Scanlon at Cyracom. She is the nicest person I have ever met on the phone.:-) I am talking about Cyracom. I really wished I was able to work for certified interprters but but so far they have no openings for my language ( Farsi)
Socal wrote:
Has anyone received their tax forms 1099 from Omni yet? Do you think we will get them?
Annabelle, I didn't mean to belittle your hard work starting the lawsuit, which is greatly appreciated. It is just so frustrating that we still haven't received anything, or know of an actual date when we will.
I am working for Certified and Cyracom right now and they are both wonderful companies, but very low call volume for my language (Italian). Cyracom is always asking us to refer other interpreters to them, so feel free to apply.
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3103 Jan 29, 2009
I have not got any tax info from any of the 5 agenies so far.
Socal wrote:
Has anyone received their tax forms 1099 from Omni yet? Do you think we will get them?
Annabelle, I didn't mean to belittle your hard work starting the lawsuit, which is greatly appreciated. It is just so frustrating that we still haven't received anything, or know of an actual date when we will.
I am working for Certified and Cyracom right now and they are both wonderful companies, but very low call volume for my language (Italian). Cyracom is always asking us to refer other interpreters to them, so feel free to apply.
Annabelle

Houston, TX

#3104 Jan 29, 2009
Socal wrote:
I understand the frustration, believe me have been there myself, I baby-sat/dog walked/cleaned houses, had garage sales, you name it I did it until I signed on with Certified. Would have sold the family dog but nobody would buy the growly beast. The weather is a factor in the call volume this week, freezing temps in many states, hope it thaws out soon. The economy is tight right now but I have faith it will get better soon, have read too many stories lately of desperate families losing homes, losing their lives because of economic pressure terribly sad. It is important to keep hope and faith that things do get better, best wishes to all of you and keep warm!!!
confused

Los Angeles, CA

#3105 Jan 29, 2009
My telelanguage check was just returned. No funds.
midiscapes

United States

#3106 Jan 29, 2009
Few interesting issues here :

1) I talked to both PI and Telelanguage about turning in their " call logs". I made myself clear that me not turning those "logs" in and still getting paid for my minutes is a necessary conditions for the contract. Both agencies said I didn't HAVE TO turn " the logs" in but it would be " advisable" - especially if a payment dispute arises. I told recruiters that they better pay me without a " glitch" or " dispute", then signed contracts with both. So I do not even bother to take their " reference numbers" and track the call lengths. That's what their computers should do and that's what I pay them for :) When negotiating your contract , sometimes you have to be kind of " rigid". Believe me , it ALWAYS worked for me. I didn't get paid yet from any of them, so we will see how it works out in real life . I will keep you updated.

2)You mentioned that you were logged in to few agencies " this morning". Did you mean : simultaneously? it would be wonderful if I was able to do it , too. In fact , I had to turn down LSA offer few days ago simply due to time constraints. By the way I didn't like them : too bureaucratic, Language Line style impersonal, low paying overblown agency........ Are you sure it's ok for us to log in to couple agencies at the same time ? Won't one of them be pissed because they get busy signal while you are just on a call from the competitor ?:)

3) You are right on about PI's annoying " quality control feedbacks". Today an " observer" called me during my login time and started elaborate about details of my last call ( tha call was about one hour long and it was not an easy one). I politely interupted and told the lady I would call her back after hours. I did few hours later and I had an interesting conversation with her. Basically she said she liked what she had heard, but strongly objected " side conversations" with the patient. I replied that " the side conversation" was about some extra medications the patient was requesting and about some other personal problem he was sort of shy to discuss with the " female" doctor outright. He preferred to talk to me first. Well, it happened numerous times during my OPI career and I always notified the doctor a posteriori , and all of them - as I remember - were quite grateful. My PI " quality control" lady was not. I suggested that maybe her company should make that " no side conversations" rule more flexible and e.g. embed it into " cultural brokerage" auxillary role of OPI. She was quite confused and she simply ignored my remark....

4) Yesterday I signed with Telelanguage Japanese recruiter - after I was assured that I did not have to turn in their " logs"...duh. We will see how it works out. I think next in line is CyraCom, and because everyone here gave them excellent ratings I'm going to give it a try, too.
midiscapes

United States

#3107 Jan 29, 2009
confused wrote:
Thanks for info. I will call Kazuki Yamazaki maybe tomorrow and I will tell him that my first login will happen as soon as his company " stabilizes".Last time we talked he mentioned something about ' being in a process of switching to a new system.........' hmmmmmmm.
Keep me posted about your bounced checks.
Hopeful

Kalaheo, HI

#3108 Jan 29, 2009
OMG, I am so stressed now. So worried to check my bank and see the check I just deposited from Telelanguage is returned. This is going to change my world again! Not anther Omni! God, Omni matrix has begun!
confused wrote:
confused

Los Angeles, CA

#3109 Jan 29, 2009
I emailed Sherry today (from Telelanguage) and she wrote back saying she would send a new check when it became available. I'm not sure what that means or when it will be but I will keep on top of it.
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3110 Jan 29, 2009
You sound super smart and awesome with personality. I am glad you are writing at this blog and I enjoy reading your comments. Yes, Cyracom is the cherry on the top. They are easy, professional, caring and on time. They pay well on top of all the rest of agencies. I like them the most and wish them the best because they deserve it. Anyhow, I wish you the best and waiting for more comments about snob PI and real careless/goofy Telelanguage. I have to log in all agencies the same time because there is no promises of any kind that I get calls on regular basis. I have to sacrifies few calls and though it does not look good for me to lose calls but I have to take the chance. Anyhow, let me know what other agencies you are signing up with? I like to work for certified interpreters but no luck as of yet. Anyone out there has any hint how to go by with Certified interpreters?
midiscapes wrote:
Few interesting issues here :
1) I talked to both PI and Telelanguage about turning in their " call logs". I made myself clear that me not turning those "logs" in and still getting paid for my minutes is a necessary conditions for the contract. Both agencies said I didn't HAVE TO turn " the logs" in but it would be " advisable" - especially if a payment dispute arises. I told recruiters that they better pay me without a " glitch" or " dispute", then signed contracts with both. So I do not even bother to take their " reference numbers" and track the call lengths. That's what their computers should do and that's what I pay them for :) When negotiating your contract , sometimes you have to be kind of " rigid". Believe me , it ALWAYS worked for me. I didn't get paid yet from any of them, so we will see how it works out in real life . I will keep you updated.
2)You mentioned that you were logged in to few agencies " this morning". Did you mean : simultaneously? it would be wonderful if I was able to do it , too. In fact , I had to turn down LSA offer few days ago simply due to time constraints. By the way I didn't like them : too bureaucratic, Language Line style impersonal, low paying overblown agency........ Are you sure it's ok for us to log in to couple agencies at the same time ? Won't one of them be pissed because they get busy signal while you are just on a call from the competitor ?:)
3) You are right on about PI's annoying " quality control feedbacks". Today an " observer" called me during my login time and started elaborate about details of my last call ( tha call was about one hour long and it was not an easy one). I politely interupted and told the lady I would call her back after hours. I did few hours later and I had an interesting conversation with her. Basically she said she liked what she had heard, but strongly objected " side conversations" with the patient. I replied that " the side conversation" was about some extra medications the patient was requesting and about some other personal problem he was sort of shy to discuss with the " female" doctor outright. He preferred to talk to me first. Well, it happened numerous times during my OPI career and I always notified the doctor a posteriori , and all of them - as I remember - were quite grateful. My PI " quality control" lady was not. I suggested that maybe her company should make that " no side conversations" rule more flexible and e.g. embed it into " cultural brokerage" auxillary role of OPI. She was quite confused and she simply ignored my remark....
4) Yesterday I signed with Telelanguage Japanese recruiter - after I was assured that I did not have to turn in their " logs"...duh. We will see how it works out. I think next in line is CyraCom, and because everyone here gave them excellent ratings I'm going to give it a try, too.
Waiting for my cheques

North York, Canada

#3111 Jan 29, 2009
Socal wrote:
What is the use of a class action lawsuit? Has anyone (besides the lawyers, of course) received any money?
Has anyone else experienced very low call volume recently?
Socal,

Do you and anybody know contact person and 1-800 telephone number for Certified interpreters?

Thank you.
midiscapes

United States

#3112 Jan 29, 2009
Waiting for my cheques wrote:
<quoted text>
Socal,
Do you and anybody know contact person and 1-800 telephone number for Certified interpreters?
Thank you.
Sure. Call 1-800-338-4310 (X 311) and ask for Tristan Jean. You can also email the guy ( he's a recruiter w/Certified) at
[email protected]

A while ago they were trying to buy me up from LLS to service a new contract for POL/ENG in Brittain. Because I used to work graveyard shift for many years and I know the charms on not sleeping when other people do , I turned it down. For explanation ; I'm in EST time zone and Brittons usually work 9-5 GMT, which would make.... 4am- noon EST. No, thanks. As I remember they were paying 60 cents per minute ( that's what PI do pay me right now).
Hey, good luck with Certified.
Socal

United States

#3113 Jan 29, 2009
If you look at craigslist san diego under part-time jobs, they are looking for a Farsi translator/companion in Spring Valley.

If I'm not mistaken, one of you is a Farsi interpreter in San Diego?
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3114 Jan 29, 2009
Thanks SoCal. I do Farsi, I was looking for days and did not see anything. Wow, thanks for the tip.
Socal wrote:
If you look at craigslist san diego under part-time jobs, they are looking for a Farsi translator/companion in Spring Valley.
Annabelle

Houston, TX

#3115 Jan 30, 2009
I have been in contact with several people contracting with Telelanguage and wish I could offer some great advice as to what to do, the only advice I can think of is to leave now, cut your losses and move on. Still pursue what you are owed via any legal channel but stop working for free, it is not fair to anybody to put in hours and not have a clear idea as to when you will paid. Now if you choose to stay on and work for them pleae remember that the caller/clients are not at fault, please continue to give your very best. We as OPI's have a duty to facilitate communication to the best of our abilities regardless of what is happening in our personal lives, we owe it to the customers and to ourselves as professionals. Hope this resolves itself quickly for all concerned.
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3116 Jan 30, 2009
Where in SD are you at? I reside at South Clairemont and you? We can exchange emails or possibly meet somewhere?
Socal wrote:
Far East

Mirabel, Canada

#3117 Jan 30, 2009
I just deposited the two re-issued checks from telelanguage. If they are to be returned again, I will know in a week. And it will be the time to consider about whether to leave them. I have burned myself deeply enough as the result of trusting Network Omni till the end, which still owes me about 3k.

By the way I sent e-mail to the Witness Call Action who was posting his/her e-mail addres for people insterested for another law suit against Omni, but not receive any responce. Did anybody have any idea what it was?
midiscapes

United States

#3118 Jan 30, 2009
Annabelle wrote:
I have been in contact with several people contracting with Telelanguage and wish I could offer some great advice as to what to do, the only advice I can think of is to leave now, cut your losses and move on. Still pursue what you are owed via any legal channel but stop working for free, it is not fair to anybody to put in hours and not have a clear idea as to when you will paid. Now if you choose to stay on and work for them pleae remember that the caller/clients are not at fault, please continue to give your very best. We as OPI's have a duty to facilitate communication to the best of our abilities regardless of what is happening in our personal lives, we owe it to the customers and to ourselves as professionals. Hope this resolves itself quickly for all concerned.
ok, thanks for your " intelligence report". I will temporarily take Telelanguage off my list . Actually PI kept me real busy today . I got like 80% occupancy rate .
midiscapes

United States

#3119 Jan 30, 2009
Far East wrote:
I just deposited the two re-issued checks from telelanguage. If they are to be returned again, I will know in a week. And it will be the time to consider about whether to leave them. I have burned myself deeply enough as the result of trusting Network Omni till the end, which still owes me about 3k.
By the way I sent e-mail to the Witness Call Action who was posting his/her e-mail addres for people insterested for another law suit against Omni, but not receive any responce. Did anybody have any idea what it was?
Thanks, honey. Kepp us up to date.
cheers
Hopeful

Carlsbad, CA

#3120 Jan 30, 2009
Annabelle, any agencies that you might know of that is in Texas and you work for? I like to add more agencies to my list.
midiscapes wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, thanks for your " intelligence report". I will temporarily take Telelanguage off my list . Actually PI kept me real busy today . I got like 80% occupancy rate .
Annabelle

Houston, TX

#3121 Jan 30, 2009
Hopeful wrote:
Annabelle, any agencies that you might know of that is in Texas and you work for? I like to add more agencies to my list.
<quoted text>
I do not know of any since I contrat with an agency out of state but if I know of anything will post it. I do see run on Craigslist, and there are several agencies that do sned people on site. Do you prefer OPI or onsite?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thousand Oaks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make money! Dec 9 Kae 1
News Michael Jackson's Niece Fights Mental Illness W... (Sep '15) Nov 24 Jake 7
Malibu Music Emporium (Oct '12) Nov 23 Musikologist 20
Mistress looking for slaves (Oct '15) Nov 21 Michael Smith 14
Explosion in Thousand Oaks CA (Sep '11) Oct '17 pbarb 63
News The Kingston Trio Come to Thousand Oaks with Sp... Oct '17 Hindusufi 1
News Ventura County family law courts seek public in... (May '06) Sep '17 beautiful sunset 59

Thousand Oaks Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thousand Oaks Mortgages