Valley activists plan rally in push for immigration rights

There are 20 comments on the Dec 19, 2009, LA Daily News story titled Valley activists plan rally in push for immigration rights. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

With renewed debate over immigration reform expected in Congress next year, the San Fernando Valley could become a hotbed of activity as activists plan a massive rally and outreach efforts to draw attention to the cause.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Haddit

Murrieta, CA

#22 Dec 20, 2009
Unions wield enormous power in the everyday decisions and policies of our country. Many of our politicians would not be in their present day jobs were it not for the influence and backing of a union. Many of our laws would have failed if not for the backing of a well funded union.

This gives unprecedented power to union bosses like Andrew Stern that influenced our last election with 60 million dollars. This is a man that was placed on his pedestal by a small minority of our citizens, and in many cases non-citizens.

With Andrew Stern’s candid comments about having a large presence of non-citizens in his union, this gives non-citizens an enormous vote. This gives Andrew Stern the opportunity to promote what is good for Andrew Stern and his Global Economy views versus what is good for our country.

We need an American Union, a union that any American citizen can join. A union that is for what is good for our country and a union that will represent the majority, the wishes of the American people.

The wheels of government move at a snails pace and is ensnarled in rules, laws and regulation. A strong union of Americans would be able to grease those wheels, we would be able to demand instant action. No more waiting until the next election that would again be influenced by the resources of Andrew Stern and his ilk.
GeorgeBush_Warmo nger

Dallas, TX

#23 Dec 20, 2009
Latinos did not help Democrats win Congress. It was disgusted whites who failed to show up to vote who got the Parasite Party elected.
old guy

Cypress, CA

#24 Dec 20, 2009
What is there to talk about ? there is legal and illegal ? end of story...and this study was FREE..........
Jane Smith

Laguna Woods, CA

#25 Dec 20, 2009
Although I've never voted for one, I agree with the Republicans who said 'we must put AMERICAN families first' and 'the notion of granting amnesty, awarding illegal behavior is something that concerns me greatly'. Illegal immigration is not the only crime committed in order to provide for self, family, have a better life, but it seems to be the only one in which the perpetrators are NOT punished, they're rewarded through government programs and subsidies that my tax dollars pay for. In the meantime, I'm forced to take an almost 15% pay cut (State employees were forced to take 3 day furlough each month due to budget deficit) but I can't get any of the benefits afforded to illegal immigrants. HUH???

I'm not blaming the budget deficit solely on illegal immigration, but I'd hazard a guess that it's a big part of the problem. Just how much is illegal immigration costing California (dollars and cents)?
Why stop there

Los Angeles, CA

#26 Dec 20, 2009
Larceny should be legal.
Grand theft auto should be legal.
Drug pushing should be legalized.
Rape should be allowable under the law.

The list is endless...
A Reptile Dysfunction

Valencia, CA

#27 Dec 20, 2009
Our community, the greater community of the San Fernando Valley, has over a million immigrants all told," said businessman and immigration activist Robert Gittelson. "It is truly, truly a tragedy that probably several hundred thousand of our neighbors and our friends and our co-workers here are undocumented."

Hey, Gittelson! The real tragedy is that several hundred thousand (or more) illegal aliens are allowed to live here, take jobs away from citizens, suck up enormous amounts of public assistance money, and clog our prisons. They should all have their @sses deported.

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Dec 20, 2009
Gittelson is such an effin bleeding heart.

An ensemble of violins probably follows him around.
Chris in O C

Corona, CA

#29 Dec 20, 2009
Do you remember your first crush or crushes? Think back, race did not matter. Although the customs, traditions, and religions so obviously varied among us, we did not impress them upon each other. With respect we were encouraged to celebrate and share these differences. In grammar school we stood in the same line to receive immunization shots. We faced and shared many first experiences together. We skated together. Our direction was to embrace one language and abide by the same laws. We were to "assimilate" toward the goal of a united greatness. We celebrated the bicentennial of the United States; we had accomplished so much in 200 years, yet still we were not perfect nor were we told that we would ever be, only to strive. As a Latino I still believe that this is the correct path. The majority of "illegals" have no respect or direction, no grasp of the concept of organized diversity. They are desperate and do not, will not, cannot care. CLOSE YOUR EYES AND REMEMBER how it was back then and how the landscape, though not perfect reflected who we were as a country. In later years I grappled with acceptance of the title of “Chicano” while being called a “Pocho”. I speak fluent Spanish and am well aware of who I am. I have seen more of Mexico than most Mexicans. I saw that “Affirmative Action”, a cover label for reverse discrimination, was unfair. I studied and worked very hard only to see others shout with one fist in the air get just as far. It was during this time that race became an issue by the selfish power hungry blind and furious. I could not and did not want to be a part of that. These "undocumented" (a title that they could not have given themselves) do not wish to learn English nor will they strive toward a common goal. They build islands here. They choose not to assimilate and we allow this. "We pay taxes too" they say and that “our” nation must accommodate them. Others say “They only want a better life for themselves”, this is not enough! Most illegal immigration advocates state that they do the work that us Americans will not do; these jobs working in kitchens, cleaning hotel rooms and the“toilets” of American homeowners, the carwashes and others are secret, hidden, out of sight and perfect for criminals on the lam. It makes better sense that they do these tasks out of the necessity to remain under cover and hidden over any other reason. They come from all over the world mostly from nearby Mexico and further south and show great pride for countries left behind (Why?). They come by the hundreds of thousands to make demands of a country that is not their own. The immigrant roots of my family reflect a respect and adherence to a then existing legal process that fortunately for my family was completed between 1912 and 1922. I was told that it was not easy and much more difficult than expected. My Grandparents taught me respect for this great country and that freedom must be earned and protected.“Go and learn” they said. My Grand parents were humble yet honorable and they would be ashamed to see these people, their people acting so disrespectful. Their sons (My Father and Uncles) and later my cousins, all Americans by birth, took it to heart and fought in wars to protect this ideal, to fight for our right to respectfully agree to disagree. The marches a while back exhibited an organized disrespect, were misguided and out of place. They have and deserve no legal right to be here. There is a legal process for entering this great nation please follow it, learn the common language, spend more time thereafter as a contributor rather than looking for avenues of entitlement and we are with you. I have visited the places were I grew up...what happened? This skewed foreign self righteousness is a threat to our collective progress in America. It is anti-unity. As a Latino but, American first and only, I say that it is time for us to OPEN OUR EYES! Even Heaven has its border...God does bless America!
Mike

Glendale, CA

#30 Dec 20, 2009
NO AMNESTY NOW OR OR EVER AGAIN!!! KEEP AMERICA AMERICAN!! OH AND MY FATHER WAS BORN IN MEXICO BUT CAME TO AMERICA CUZ MEXICO CUD NOT TAKE CARE OF ITS OWN PEOPLE!! NO AMNESTY!!!
Liars and Thieves

Calabasas, CA

#31 Dec 20, 2009
Fed Up wrote:
Alright, so let's assume there is an amnesty.....then make it the last one. If there is legislation, then make a provision that NO FURTHER AMNESTYS will be given....EVER. As for unification of families...ONLY if the party who is here can pay for their being here and it does not fall upon the citizens of California and the nation to support more foreign nationals.
By the way, comparing their situation to the civil rights movement takes cajones. Criminal behavior is not a civil rights issue.
Sorry, but just saying that there will be no further amnesties didn't work back in 1986 either when the Immigration Reform and Control Act was declared to be the "last" and "final" amnesty when it was passed. As anyone who complies with the Federally mandated Immigration verification (I-9) process can tell you, the procedure that was mandated by the Reform Act is a joke. All it did was create a booming Industry for counterfeit documentations and massive identity theft. Once Amnesty was granted, the cat was out of the bag, and we will suffer from many "last and final" amnesties as long as there is a pandering politican left in the USA.
All we really need are politicans with enough guts to enforce our existing immigration laws, provide and require a federal employment verification database (which it already provides), and mandate a National Identity Card (sorry folks, but its needed, and you are carrying a defacto I.D. card now...). Once jobs (and services) are not easily attainable then people would follow the required procedure, and the people that are already here illegally will return to their country on their own initiative.
Marvin

Pacific Palisades, CA

#32 Dec 20, 2009
With the possible exception of any Native American contributors here, you are all come from people who had to leave home. No one ever does this except out of desperation and every immigrant to these shores has and always will shed tears for what was left behind. Even the Holy Family had to go "on the run". Perhaps some of you stout defenders of this "Christian" land should reflect on that. Shame.
Theodore Smith III

Downey, CA

#33 Dec 20, 2009
As the immediate past Chair of the California Democratic Party's African American Caucus, I am appalled when illegal immgration advocates cite the civil rights movement. African Americans were CITIZENS denied the basic rights of citizenship; they were not here illegally!
Illegal immigration has affected us in crime, health and education costs; it has affected us in the lower rung of American citizens ( our youth and students) in the ability to find jobs that enable them to get a foothold into the American Dream. Further, it has stretched the resources for housing, recreation and other services in poor communities. We have legal residents competing for an education in the UC and Cal State systems with illegal immigrants.
I am for legal immigration but I am not for the legalization of illegal activity.
It is time to stand up for the rights of Americans first.
Old School

Kailua Kona, HI

#34 Dec 20, 2009
Fed Up wrote:
Alright, so let's assume there is an amnesty.....then make it the last one. If there is legislation, then make a provision that NO FURTHER AMNESTYS will be given....EVER. As for unification of families...ONLY if the party who is here can pay for their being here and it does not fall upon the citizens of California and the nation to support more foreign nationals.
By the way, comparing their situation to the civil rights movement takes cajones. Criminal behavior is not a civil rights issue.
Oh, Fred, that's what they promised in the last amnesty and guess what? More illegals came in bigger numbers than ever before and here we are today. No, there is no such thing as a kept promise by politicians. It's time to take a stand and say loud and clear to all the other people waiting to crash our gates and push their weight around that we are a nation of laws and the will of the citizens say deport and no amnesty. We will not be dictated to by a horde of arrogant foreigners who have broken our laws and have disrespected our country while abusing American taxpayers.
well done

Ventura, CA

#36 Dec 20, 2009
Please call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE to report immigration or customs violations.
plopsdad

Brighton, MI

#37 Dec 20, 2009
Marvin wrote:
With the possible exception of any Native American contributors here, you are all come from people who had to leave home. No one ever does this except out of desperation and every immigrant to these shores has and always will shed tears for what was left behind. Even the Holy Family had to go "on the run". Perhaps some of you stout defenders of this "Christian" land should reflect on that. Shame.
You seem to have a common problem, seeing the difference between a immigrant and a illegal immigrant,try to get it straight and dont blur the lines between the two.
Chris in O C

Corona, CA

#38 Dec 20, 2009
Marvin wrote:
"Perhaps some of you stout defenders of this "Christian" land..." are opposed to "illegal" immigration. Show me a people that has left their home by the masses and I'll show you an army that has laid down and abandoned their own. Shoe some courage and respect by following our letter of the law and we welcome you. To immigrate legally is to be honorable.
Old School

Kailua Kona, HI

#39 Dec 20, 2009
Marvin wrote:
What a load of crap, Marvin. Every one, including the Native Americans (who migrated from Asia) came to this land and followed whatever "laws" were in place when they came with the exception of the recent invaders who broke the law. Even the Holy Family "were on the run" within their own country and paid their taxes and followed the law as is prescribed in the bible. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...." We stout defenders of this Christian land ARE reflecting on that!
Coach

Yorba Linda, CA

#40 Dec 20, 2009
american 101 wrote:
This is crazy if we do not draw a line ALIANS will have more rights than people who belong here legally. People who abuse the system DO NOT deserve rights. If you do the right thing and become a citizen, you deserve RIGHTS. If you swim, fly, run across the freeway illegally Go HOME. AMERICA IS NOT YOUR HOME!!! WE BUILT THIS COUNTRY ON LAWS AND RULES. NOT FREE RIGHTS AND BROKEN LAWS…
Learn to spell.
Mike

Glendale, CA

#41 Dec 20, 2009
The Daily News needs to rewrite the title of this article. It should be "Valley activists plan rally in push for Illegal Immigrants Rights".
Old School

Kailua Kona, HI

#42 Dec 20, 2009
Old School wrote:
Ah, si, the call to the streets has gone out across the nation for all gate crashers to try to justify and legalize their criminal status via Gonzales' arrogant amnesty bill that has just been presented. Just like the last time these uninvited "guests" tried to take over my house, I will be faxing and phoning my representatives in such numbers as to shut down the phones in Washington, D.C. and put the fear of a shortened political career into the greedy hearts of our reps. and senators. If you want to keep America for Americans, join me in this last fight, and this is their last fight, to rid our house of the vermin that has invaded us or your grandchildren will be speaking Spanish and living la vita loco.
Correction: It's Luis Gutierrez (D - IL) not Gonzales.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video, Photo Gallery: Ice Arrests Members of 40... Apr 10 General Patton 1
News Jewish Cop Busted Mel Gibson (Aug '06) Apr 3 Texas_Ave 391
News Canoga Park Man Convicted In Fatal Encino Shooting (Jun '07) Mar '15 cuervo 9
News Cost to earthquake-proof L.A.'s crumbling pipe ... Mar '15 Dean 1
News San Fernando Valley Arts & Cultural Center set ... (Feb '14) Mar '15 ericdevezin 3
News Memorials in Los Angeles, Thousand Oaks to hono... (May '14) May '14 moderate 4
News Gathering in Thousand Oaks remembers Newtown tr... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Suresh 1
More from around the web

Westlake Village People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]